Thread: "Name a Card"

"Name a Card"

Cabal Therapy, Runed Halo, or whatever, when a player plays it and clearly knows what card he's trying to name and what it does, but can't think or doesn't know the name, is that okay? I mean I would always let him go because that seems fair, but out of curiosity what is the official rule?

Serious Rider
    Oct 2005

Re: "Name a Card"

As long as they can uniquely identify the card in question, it works even if they can't remember the name quite perfectly. For example, if they wanted to nab a Thirst for Knowledge with Therapy, and they couldn't remember the name, they could say "That blue instant that costs , draws three cards, and then you discard two unless you discard an artifact", and it would work just fine.

Also, as a side note, cards are named for Therapy and other similar effects as the spell or ability resolves, so if you're going to counter the spell or ability, you have to do it before they anme a card. If you ask them what they're naming, it's assumed you let the spell or ability resolve.
    Team Info-Ninjas: Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.
    My Videos: Chiron Beta Prime, Flickr, Re: Your Brains
    Quote Originally Posted by Slay
    Man Kills Seven at popular gaming tournament, buries in backyard. "I was only trying to get thresh," he says.
    -Slay

Here I Rule!!!!!!!!!!
    Oct 2008
    Minneapolis MN

Similar question. If they can uniquely name what it does but there are two of those card with the same name, what happens? Are they given the 2 names of the card or are they out of luck.

An example is Armageddon and Ravages of War. Also for this scenario assume they don't know the set of either.

Serious Rider
    Oct 2005

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Ignition View Post
    An example is Armageddon and Ravages of War. Also for this scenario assume they don't know the set of either.
    For functional reprints, if they don't have a way to clearly distinguish which one they're talking about, then I would assume they can't name it. I'm not really sure about that case specifically, though, because I'm not sure it's ever come up.

edit - Although if you know your opponent is running Armageddon and you say "that 4 mana white sorcery that destroys all lands", I think that's enough because you both know that he isn't running Ravages of War. If he's running both, though, that would make a big difference. A more probable example is if your opponent boarded in both Pyroblast and Red Elemetal Blast. I would think that if you can't get any more specific than "that instant for that counters a blue spell or kills a blue permanent", then you wouldn't be able to name either.
    Team Info-Ninjas: Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.
    Man Kills Seven at popular gaming tournament, buries in backyard. "I was only trying to get thresh," he says.
    -Slay

Feb 2006
    Boston

Quote Originally Posted by Pinder View Post
    For functional reprints, if they don't have a way to clearly distinguish which one they're talking about, then I would assume they can't name it. I'm not really sure about that case specifically, though, because I'm not sure it's ever come up.

edit - Although if you know your opponent is running Armageddon and you say "that 4 mana white sorcery that destroys all lands", I think that's enough because you both know that he isn't running Ravages of War. If he's running both, though, that would make a big difference. A more probable example is if your opponent boarded in both Pyroblast and Red Elemetal Blast. I would think that if you can't get any more specific than "that instant for that counters a blue spell or kills a blue permanent", then you wouldn't be able to name either.
    Actually, there is a difference between REB and Pyroblast, and the way in which you describe the card would actually matter.

Insane Anarchists Get Mean
    Aug 2005
    NY State

Quote Originally Posted by Pinder View Post
    For example, if they wanted to nab a Thirst for Knowledge with Therapy, and they couldn't remember the name, they could say "That blue instant that costs , draws three cards, and then you discard two unless you discard an artifact", and it would work just fine.
    For reference, you should call a judge over and confirm the name of "That blue instant that costs , draws three cards, and then you discard two unless you discard an artifact" before actually doing that so there isn't any confusion from your opponent.

Serious Rider
    Oct 2005

Quote Originally Posted by Jaynel View Post
    Actually, there is a difference between REB and Pyroblast, and the way in which you describe the card would actually matter.
    Oh, I know. One of them destroys target blue permanent and the other destroys target permanent if it is blue. But if you can't make that distinction between the two, I don't think you would be able to name either.
    -Slay

<3

Jun 2006
    Kenmore, WA

I have a question... Say you board in Armageddon and the opponent plays Cabal Therapy and describes "the white sorcery for 4 that destroys all land". Since you board it in, the opponent doesn't know if you play Armageddon or Ravages of War and neither does the judge. Would it be unsportsman-like conduct to ask which "white sorcery for 4 that destroys all land" your opponent is referring to. Additionally, how would a judge know all functional but differently named cards.

Arbitrary Wielder of Justice

Oct 2003

"the white sorcery for 4 that destroys all land".
    this =! unique identification.
    When in doubt, mumble.

When in trouble, delegate.

<3

Jun 2006
    Kenmore, WA

Quote Originally Posted by frogboy View Post
    this =! unique identification.
    In most situations, most people would accept that as a unique identification.

I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God
    Mar 2007
    59°50'59.11" N, 17°34'55.69" E

Quote Originally Posted by Tosh View Post
    Assuming they would, they would be wrong. Mind-tricking the opponent into calling Ravages of War is precisely the type of play that wins games.
    YOU'RE GIVING ME A TIME MACHINE IN ORDER TO TREAT MY SLEEP DISORDER.

Arbitrary Wielder of Justice

Oct 2003

Quote Originally Posted by Tosh View Post
    Well, in most situations it is a unique identification, heh.
    When in doubt, mumble.

When in trouble, delegate.

Journeyman
    Jan 2007
    In the forest

Is it possible to ask the judge "Hey, I know there are two different white sorceries for 4 that destroy all lands. But I can't remember their names. Can you tell me both?" and then name one of them?
    "My sky is darker than thine!"
    SENTENCED - 1993

Quote Originally Posted by Taurelin View Post
    Is it possible to ask the judge "Hey, I know there are two different white sorceries for 4 that destroy all lands. But I can't remember their names. Can you tell me both?" and then name one of them?
    Good enough for me.
    Magic Level 3 Judge
    Southern USA Regional Coordinator

Battle with a ragtag crew of adorable misfits. Narcomoeba and Golgari Thug hook up before the end of the movie.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihil Credo View Post
    Please be less rambling in your next post. I only bothered with figuring out what the fuck you were trying to ask because I took it as a challenge.

<3

Jun 2006
    Kenmore, WA

Well, in most situations it is a unique identification, heh.
    My question is, how can your opponent distinguish between the two? Given that your opponent is just guessing and that he hasn't seen any before, how can he tell if that description is a unique ID?

Jul 2004
    College Station, TX

If you are holding a handful of Red Blasts, and your opponent Therapies you, and asks for "That one mana red instant that counters a blue spell or destroys a blue permenent", you have a couple of options:

1) "Oh, you mean Pyroblast?"
    2) "You've described both Pyroblast and Red Elemental Blast. Which do you mean?"

Option 1 seems to be flirting with cheating. Is it? I'd go with option two, or call a judge as soon as the question came up.
    InfoNinjas

Combo Enthusiast

Apr 2004

Option one is not flirting with cheating, it's giving adequate enough information, without giving all of it.

From what I remember dealing with a judge ruling, it is possible for them to look up the oracle wording for you to give you the name. Assuming this is actually the case, it would seem that they would also allow you to know the name of both in the case of Armageddon and Ravages.

Any judges know if there's anything otherwise?
    Quote Originally Posted by YuanTi View Post
    Slightly off topic, but where is the Nourishing Lich in the DTB Forum?

"How do I know it's a unique identification?" If there's any question about it, you can search Gatherer. Or, imagine you say "That one mana red instant that counters a blue spell or destroys a blue permenent" and your opponent says "You mean Pyroblast?" I suggest actually gettnig the Oracle for Pyroblast to see if that's the card you want.

P.S., Option 1 here wouldn't be cheating if you were being honest. But I suggest not trying to mislead anyone by purpose (or even by accident). Just get a judge involved as soon as possible.
    Magic Level 3 Judge

Battle with a ragtag crew of adorable misfits. Narcomoeba and Golgari Thug hook up before the end of the movie.
    Please be less rambling in your next post. I only bothered with figuring out what the fuck you were trying to ask because I took it as a challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by Anusien View Post

P.S., Option 1 here wouldn't be cheating if you were being honest. But I suggest not trying to mislead anyone by purpose (or even by accident). Just get a judge involved as soon as possible.
    So its not cheating, even if you have 4 red blasts in your hand? I don't see how you could be honest and say "Oh you mean pyroblast?" when you've got REBs in your hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Frenger View Post
    So its not cheating, even if you have 4 red blasts in your hand? I don't see how you could be honest and say "Oh you mean pyroblast?" when you've got REBs in your hand.
    If you're intentionally misrepresenting the Oracle text in order to gain an advantage, yeah that's Cheating. If you're not playing any of them at all and you're answering honestly, that's not Cheating.
    Let me be clear here; it might be possible to answer in a way that's not Cheating. But if you try and obscure the fact that there is another card with similar text, that's quite bad.

Like I said, just get a judge involved and save everyone some hassle.
    Magic Level 3 Judge

Thread Information