Page 15 of 41 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] The EPIC Elf Survival

Re: [Deck] The EPIC Elf Survival

Quote Originally Posted by beastman View Post
    I've been testing this list against every deck I could think of that would be remotely difficult for elves. I literally lost 1 game out of 10 against a landstill deck with wraths, swords, explosives, and even wish for tsabo's decree. The resiliency(spelled that wrong didn't I PR?) of this deck is unreal. I even managed to pull out 4 out of 10 games against Quinn. I really can't express how good messenger is, with the lord count so high, it swings the game hugely almost every time it resolves. This is going to be a deck to beat very soon, I promise that.
    You were think up difficult matchups for Elf Survival and you came up with Landstill and Mighty Quinn?
    How about TES or Ichorid?

Hella fuckin' balls to the wall awesome
    Mar 2008
    Maryland

That's what I'm workin on. But mostly I just hum really loudly and pretend they don't exist in the hope that they just go away. Thats how I deal with most of my problems these days.
    Team Unicorn: We're horny...get it?

Quote Originally Posted by Ewokslayer View Post
    You might want to go to a hospital. It appears you cracked your head open.

You are leaking stupid all over the internet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihil Credo View Post
    I masturbated on that picture of your cat.

Member-ish
    Feb 2006
    Manila

What's the white splash for? Teeg/Canonist out of the SB?
    The Source: Your Source for "The Source: Your Source for..." cliche.

Mar 2008
    Maryland

Yeah. I'm leaning towards 3 Teegs at the moment.

3 Krosan grip
    3 Choke
    3 Gaddock Teeg
    3 Relic of Progenitus
    1 Magus of the Moon
    1 Caller of the Claw
    1 Masticore

Thats what the board looks like at the moment. I have absolutely no delusions that Teegs are enough to stop combo, but with a fast start, they can buy you enough time to kill them.

Dis iz da WAAAGH!
    Jan 2007
    Chicagoland

My board:
    3 Gaddok Teeg
    4 Krosan Grip
    4 Choke
    2 Relic of Progenitus
    2 Umezawa's Jitte

There is virtually no storm combo in my area, but plenty of Painter. Teeg and Progenitus fixed my Stax matchup from unwinnable to fair. Forcing them into a 'find o-ring or die' situation. Teeg also comes in against Ichord because he turns off Dread Return stranding Akroma, and Zealot in the yard, also Breakthrough if you can get him down turn 1. He isn't a show stopper (unless your opponent mulled to a now dead Breakthrough), but slows them down enough that you can be the aggro deck again.

And I'm running Masticore main.

2 Taiga
    2 Savannah
    4 Windswept Heath
    4 Wooded Foothills
    6 Forest
    4 Survival
    3 Natural Order
    1 Squee
    1 Anger
    1 Progenitus
    4 Llanowar Elves
    3 Fyndhorn Elves
    3 Quirion Ranger
    3 Priest of Titania
    4 Sylvan Messenger
    4 Imperious Perfect
    3 Elvish Champion
    3 Elvish Archdruid
    3 Wren's Run Vanquisher
    1 Viridian Zealot
    1 Wren's Run Packmaster

I've been testing this list against every deck I could think of that would be remotely difficult for elves. I literally lost 1 game out of 10 against a landstill deck with wraths, swords, explosives, and even wish for tsabo's decree. The resiliency(spelled that wrong didn't I PR?) of this deck is unreal. I even managed to pull out 4 out of 10 games against Quinn. I really can't express how good messenger is, with the lord count so high, it swings the game hugely almost every time it resolves. This is going to be a deck to beat very soon, I promise that.
    First your list is not at all optimal :

-why only 3 priest of titania that's one of the best card in the deck
    -why only 3 NO
    -why 3 elvish champion and 3 elvish archdruid you can't decide which one is the best of the two ?

The deck loses to landstil noway what you are claiming. Did the landsill deck was playing humility ?
    The deck loses to tempo threshold and goyf sligh/zoo, that was the main reason players put goyf into the deck (which made the deck significatively less strong against the rest of the field).
    The combo matchup is terrible.
    Counterbalance decks packs now lot of 3cc cards(as they should) such as coatl/clique/trygon/pulse/shackles/vindicate/oblivion ring as a consequence can find quite easily their 3cc for counterbalance. The matchup is not as good as it seems and depending of the version can be unfavorable(and very unfavorable after side).
    The aggro loam matchup is bad (slightly unfavorable), and depends only if you resolve NO before they dream/assault.

The deck beats merfolk (ok), EVA green, rock decks, team america, random WW survival and others random decks.

The goblin matchup is even, same thing for enchantress.

Actually, I don't see any good reason to play this deck but the fact that the deck can go broken. I really don't see how this deck is going to be a DTB

Mar 2008
    Maryland

Have you ever played the deck? Please don't say anything unless you have any kind of support for it. As for priest, you now have Archdruid, which serves the same role. The reason there are only 3 Orders is that they are a secondary win condition, and you need to keep the elf count up for messenger. The split between Champion and Archdruid is because they both do different things. Are you honestly complaining about the threshold match? I have already said that the combo matchup is not great. This deck has enough threats with the new lord to be able to overpower any other tribal deck. Again, I suggest that you at least test the deck and read the other posts before you say anything else about the deck.

Aug 2006
    Hudson Falls, NY

I dont really like Messenger anymore, the 4th order and up to 4 esg's are really great. At the scg 5k event I won at least 9-10 games with natural order/multiples in hand, Its really good.

Mar 2008
    Maryland

I like the additional speed also, but I just really love how much more consistent messenger can make it. Also, messenger makes it possible to vomit about 8 or 9 hastey guys onto the table on turn 4 with a survival.

What about Deranged Hermit and its squirrel tokens? I have a survival NO deck that packs some elves and him and I have to say that hermit its a very useful creature and with haste you could kill in one turn.

Sep 2004
    MG

Quote Originally Posted by Al-ucard View Post
    What about Deranged Hermit and its squirrel tokens? I have a survival NO deck that packs some elves and him and I have to say that hermit its a very useful creature and with haste you could kill in one turn.
    and he is an elf too

Exactly, in my list I have some cradles too and 1 core to deal with opponent creatures

Mar 2008
    Maryland

I never even thought of him, he seems like he could be a kind of siege gang commander for elves. The thing is, thereason he was played was that he gave you so many creatures. This deck is already more than capable of insane amounts of creatures, so I dont see how he is going to fit.

Ur tears of nerdrage taste so sweet to me.
    Feb 2008
    Do not care.

Quote Originally Posted by beastman View Post
    I never even thought of him, he seems like he could be a kind of siege gang commander for elves. The thing is, thereason he was played was that he gave you so many creatures. This deck is already more than capable of insane amounts of creatures, so I dont see how he is going to fit.
    He helps you to win the game after a boardsweep, and he is an awesome topdeck.
    Team Legal Actions.

Mar 2008
    Maryland

This is true, but sylvan messenger nets you some more guys too. I actually will test druid though, he would be crazy after sweeping the board.

Feb 2008
    Do not care.

Yeah, I really love that guy ever since playing Trinity Green.
    Good old times.
    I hope he can turn out to be a viable choice.

@Thread:
    Is NO really needed in this deck?
    Isn't it just a winmore and takes up space?
    I am not very convinced by it, since this Survival Version isn't reliable on survival as much as others are and cutting the NO and Progenitus makes space for the new Lord or for the Entity kill.
    What version is better?
    Team Legal Actions.

?
    Oct 2003
    Syracuse, NY

Quote Originally Posted by EaD View Post
    Yeah, I really love that guy ever since playing Trinity Green.
    Good old times.
    I hope he can turn out to be a viable choice.

@Thread:
    Is NO really needed in this deck?
    Isn't it just a winmore and takes up space?
    I am not very convinced by it, since this Survival Version isn't reliable on survival as much as others are and cutting the NO and Progenitus makes space for the new Lord or for the Entity kill.
    What version is better?
    Natural Order isn't the main win in the deck, but by far the biggest threat. It's what really gives you a fighting chance against the deck's hardest matchups, such as Landstill forcing them to find a WoG, Tendrils to find either Teeg post-board or a two-turn clock, Aggro Loam with virtually no outs, or against Ichorid to remove Bridge from Below and put a fatty into play or post-board Loaming Shaman. It's highly unlikely you'll lose after casting it, and it ends games immediately or puts the board in your favor. Not running it is a huge mistake because there are so many metagame elements that are unfavorable for this deck.

Feb 2008
    Do not care.

Quote Originally Posted by Di View Post
    Natural Order isn't the main win in the deck, but by far the biggest threat. It's what really gives you a fighting chance against the deck's hardest matchups, such as Landstill forcing them to find a WoG, Tendrils to find either Teeg post-board or a two-turn clock, Aggro Loam with virtually no outs, or against Ichorid to remove Bridge from Below and put a fatty into play or post-board Loaming Shaman. It's highly unlikely you'll lose after casting it, and it ends games immediately or puts the board in your favor. Not running it is a huge mistake because there are so many metagame elements that are unfavorable for this deck.
    That said, I don't know if it's possible to squeeze in additional lords if you're already running NO.
    So do we go for a split up between the lords?
    Is 3 NO md enough or is the full ps more viable?
    Would you mind sharing a list, Di?
    Mostly I like your approaches but I'm running a Windux like list at the moment.
    Team Legal Actions.

Trop -> Nacatl Pass
    Dec 2003
    SUNY Geneseo

Quote Originally Posted by adrieng View Post
    The deck loses to landstil noway what you are claiming. Did the landsill deck was playing humility ?
    Landstill is actually a winnable matchup. Krosan Grip solves Humility, and Choke from the board is sick. Survival decks are notoriously 50/50 with Landstill. It depends on the make of Landstill and the skill of both players. If they built their deck to do well against the Countertop decks, they're probably neglecting their aggro matchup, and you might not even see a Wrath.

The deck loses to tempo threshold and goyf sligh/zoo, that was the main reason players put goyf into the deck (which made the deck significatively less strong against the rest of the field).
    Well if the deck goes the redundancy route and cuts Mirror Entity, you eliminate one of your splash colors and up the resilience of the manabase. Since that's a pivotal part of their game, things are getting better. Tempo thresh is NOT a matchup I would hate going into. Elvish Champion makes all your guys unblockable, and with more lords than ever, you stand a great chance of running them out of answers. They can't counter everything, and after Survival/Natural Order/Champion, they've still got alot to deal with. Zoo is probably a tougher matchup, simply beause they have more spot removal and a quicker clock, but they're colded by Survival and especially NO.

I think you're seriously underestimating how well this deck does against blue.

The combo matchup is terrible.
    Yeah, tell us something we don't know. Plenty of people aren't playing combo.

Actually, I don't see any good reason to play this deck but the fact that the deck can go broken. I really don't see how this deck is going to be a DTB
    Maybe the positive CB-Top matchup? Maybe the sea of Tarmogoyfs? The deck just picked up Priest of Titania 5-8. You know what that means? The deck's gonna go broken ALOT more often. I'm not saying it's the best deck in the format, but it will demand respect. At least more respect than you're giving it.

If your bad matches are Combo, which sees little play, and Ichorid which sees even less play... I think you're in a good position.

I'm loving this deck so far. Few people expect something like Natural Order > Progenitus. Screw you EPlague!
    "We are goblinkind, heirs to the mountain empires of chieftains past. Rest is death to us, and arson is our call to war."

Thread Information