Thread: [Report] 3rd Place at Winter Wonderland - The Paired Down Story

[Report] 3rd Place at Winter Wonderland - The Paired Down Story

Alright, two weeks ago I was testing against Geoff Smelski and we was wrecking me with Landstill (Weird list with Vindicate). But the problem wasn't me or his deck, it was my flips off of Ad Nauseum. I lost 3 games in a row to Ad Nauseum. After this I went home and started brainstorming up ideas for slots, I knew I wanted to lower the count of Ad Nauseum. Then again, the more you have the more likely you are to win. The only solution to this is Mystical Tutor, I'm not proud of this, but it was good at not killing me. I added one, but I still I felt like I was taking too much damage. Simian Spirit Guide had to leave, I had two available slots left. They were originally another Mystical Tutor and a Land, but whenever I drew land number 11 I didn't want it. I moved the sideboard Chain of Vapor to the maindeck, which left a sideboard space for Duress. Then since I'm playing Mystical, change the last Chain of Vapor in the sideboard to a Wipeaway. This was the list...

Bryant Cook
    The EPIC Storm aka E!TESBRUWG2k9

Lands
    4 Gemstone Mine
    4 City of Brass
    1 Undiscovered Paradise
    1 Forbidden Orchard

Spells
    4 Orimís Chant
    4 Dark Ritual
    4 Rite of Flame
    4 Lionís Eye Diamond
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Infernal Tutor
    4 Burning Wish
    4 Brainstorm
    3 Ponder
    4 Chrome Mox
    2 Mystical Tutor
    2 Ad Nauseum
    2 Cabal Ritual
    2 Duress
    1 Ill-Gotten Gains
    1 Tendrils of Agony
    1 Chain of Vapor

SB:1 Diminishing Returns
    SB:1 Ill-Gotten Gains
    SB:1 Tendrils of Agony
    SB:1 Empty the Warrens
    SB:1 Grapeshot
    SB:3 Pyroblast
    SB:3 Shattering Spree
    SB:2 Vexing Shusher
    SB:1 Wipeaway
    SB:1 Duress

I'm very happy with this list and would not change a card. Chain of Vapor was ridiculously good all day long, generating mana and storm. For those of you who don't know from Vintage.

Post Nauseum: Play Chrome Mox (Imprint: Ponder), play Chain of Vapor. Target Mox, sacrifice a land, bounce a Mox, ect...

I talk to John Quackenbush online and he promises me he has a Japanese Foil Wipeaway. I get to the event, play some Skittles, one game of EDH, and start conversing. Quackenbush arrives and tells me he left it at home and can't sell it to me. Apparently, it's someone elses... Chris Saunders (Rsaunder) and I shake on our 20$ bet on who will have the better record. I'm waiting to sleeve my deck for Zach Tartell because he has perfect fit sleeves for me, then Dave Caplan ruins my day and tells me my deck won't fit in my deckbox if I do it today. Bummer. So I open my two sets of brand new sleeves, then realize that they're the same name and company but the shades of black are different on the backs. Great...right? Off to waste 10 more dollars on sleeves.

Round One: R/b/g Goblins

Game One: I open up my hand of Ponder, Burning Wish, Lion's Eye Diamond, Dark Ritual, Infernal Tutor, Gemstone Mine, and Mystical Tutor. He wins the die roll and opens up with Mountain -> Lackey, go. I look at my hand and think awesome. I draw for my turn and it's a Lotus Petal. I play Gemstone mine, Dark Ritual, Infernal Tutor -> LED, LED, LED, Lotus Petal, Burning Wish, Ill-Gotten Gains, LED, LED, Tutor -> Tendrils.

Sideboard: -2 Orim's Chant, +2 Shattering Spree.

Game Two: I keep a mediocre hand, Ponder, Ponder, Infernal, Burning Wish, Dark Ritual, Ad Nauseum, Land. He opens up with Mountain -> Lackey. I land -> Ponder, garbage, shuffle draw Ad Nauseum. He drops SCG off of Lackey then plays a prospector. Yes, a prospector. This blows, now I can't Ad Nauseum. I die.

Game Three: City of Brass, gemstone Mine, Infernal, Infernal, Lotus Petal, Lotus Petal, Mox. Run it... Land, go. Land, Vial, go. Draw Dark Ritual. Land, Infernal Tutor -> Dark Ritual. Land, Pyrostatic Pillar. WTF. Draw...Brainstorm. Brainstorm into...LED, Lotus Petal, Chain of Vapor. WIN. I Chain of Vapor the Pillar, then, Petal, Petal, Dark Ritual, Dark Ritual, LED, Tutor, IGG. He scoops.

1-0

I scout around and see Gagooch playing ANT (awful), and I see he has a Japanese Mystical Tutor. I needed one, so...I bought it off him (outside the store, of course). I play a few games of Skittles with Colin (Di), everything is awesome. People ask questions every three seconds about what were playing and why were playing bad cards. People don't know what peasant means...,"Wait, why wouldn't you just play Damnation?".

Round Two: Aggro Loam

Game One: I keep a decent hand, I don't remember it because he tears me apart. First turns of the game consist of me playing 3 land and a Mox (Mystical) then cantrips. He has two wastelands, then two Thoughtsieze. However, he's stuck on one Badlands, I thought he was playing Templar Goblins. He eventually his a fetch and grabs Taiga, Burning Wish -> Loam. I Mystical for Ad Nauseum, break LED during my upkeep, Ad Nauseum draw step. The first five flips are Ad Nauseum, Mox, Brainstorm, Tendrils, Igg, I keep going and get enough cards to upkeep Chant, then win on my turn.

Sideboard: -2 Orim's Chant, +2 Shattering Spree.

Game Two: I keep a hand with the possibility of a turn 2 win with Mystical... Mystical, Brainstorm, Petal, LED, Dark Ritual, Duress, LED. He plays turn one thoughtsieze, takes Petal. "Doesn't matter, I have a land on top of the deck". Draw for turn, GEMSTONE MINE. I play out the LED's. Pass, he plays Goyf, I mystical for Ad Nauseum. Win.

2-0

Round Three: 5c Survival

Game One: He opens with Therapy on Force, I have Brainstorms up the wazoo. He gets me down low and wrecks my hand after a terrible Ad Nauseum, I cast it when I was at 16 and flipped nothing but Tutors. I'm forced to Ponder breaking 3 Lion's Eye Diamonds. Shuffle, draw Ponder. Ponder, shuffle, lose.

Sideboard: -2 Orim's Chant, +2 Shattering Spree. (Cannonist)

Game Two: I open Duress, LED, LED, Gemstone Mine, Brainstorm, Infernal, and Burning Wish. I lead with a Duress, I take Survival and see a Meddling Mage (No chant?). I draw a Mox turn two, Imprint Brainstorm, LED, LED, Burning Wish, IGG, LED, LED, Tutor, IGG, LED, LED, Tutor, Tendrils.

Sideboard: -2 Shattering Spree, -1 Chant, +3 Pyroblast.

Game Three: I keep a hand off, Brainstorm, LED, LED, Infernal, Burning Wish, Ponder, Gemstone. He Therapies naming Infernal. I play land go, he plays a 1cc dude go. I Brainstorm into, land, Rite of Flame, Mox. I play out everything, Burning Wish crack 2x LED for UUUBBB. He plays a Chant. Then reveals two more in his hand. 3 CHANT! Turn 2.

2-1

I'm bummed. When I'm bummed, what cures this is Buffalo Chicken. It's impossible to be sad after a Buffalo Chicken sub from Subway.

Round Four: UWGB Threshold (Chris Saunders) [Paired Down]

This is basically to see who wins the twenty bucks.

Game One: I keep a hand of Gemstone, City, Infernal, Infernal, LED, Brainstorm, Ponder. Chris decides his good hand of 7 wasn't good enough and is punished...all the way down to 4. I land -> Ponder into Mystical, LED, Chant. Land, Ponder, go. Draw LED, I play City of Brass, Infernal -> Chant. Pass. Draw a land, Chant, resolves. LED, LED, IGG, he scoops.

Sideboard: -2 Cabal Ritual, -2 Ponder, -2 Infernal, +3 Pyroblast, +2 Vexing Shusher, +1 Wipe Away.

Game Two: Ponder, Gemstone, Paradise, Vexing Shusher, Chant, LED, Rite of Flame hand. He leads with land, Goose. I play Ponder. Shuffle, draw Wish. He plays Goyf. I play Shusher, he plays a blue blast on Shusher, and another Goose. I draw another Rite of Flame attempt to go off, but 3 daze in his hand stops me.

Game Three: Gemstone, Brainstorm, Ad Nauseum, LED, Dark Ritual, City of Brass, Vexing Shusher. KEEP! Land, go. Land, Ponder, go.City, Shusher, It gets blasted. I draw a land, play LED, go. He plays Counterbalance. I Brainstorm in responce, see 2x Pyroblast a land. I put land then Ad Nauseum on top. Pyroblast it. I upkeep Chant, he Dazes, I pay, then cast Dark Ritual. Break LED, Nauseum. I start to reveal and Chris extends his hand.

3-1

Round Five : Burn [Paired Down]

Game One: I keep a hand of Infernal, Ponder, City of Brass, Gemstone Mine, Lotus Petal, Lotus Petal, Cabal Ritual. Fetches, burns me, pass. I draw a Lotus Petal, Ponder, into grabage, shuffle draw Infernal, Pass. Fetches, Burns. Draw Dark Ritual, Infernal Tutor-> Lotus Petal. Lotus Petal x4, Cabal Ritual Infernal Tutor, Tendrils for 18. GG.

Sideboard: -2 Chant, +2 Shattering Spree.

Game Two: He plays some Burn, I turn 2 Chant, he plays 2x Bolt in responce, I play Petal, Rite of Flame, Rite of Flame, LED, Mox, Burning Wish -> Tendrils.

4-1

Round Six: DreadStill [Paired Down]

I sit down and say, "Great Dreadstill". WhiteGhost is next to me and says, "Oh, storm combo's match-up isn't that bad." You moron, don't ever do that.
    Don't ever tell your friends opponent what they're playing, the guy had no Idea who I was.

Game One: I mulligan, Chant, Mystical, City of Brass, Gemstone Mine, Lion's Eye Diamond, City of Brass. We go land for awhile after a turn 2 Standstill I end up with a hand of 2x Chant, 2x Dark Ritual Ad Nauseum, Infernal Tutor, Lion's Eye Diamond, I draw Dark Ritual. I play my Chants both get countered, 3x Ritual into Ad Nauseum, countered. LED, Tutor? Resolves. Tendrils.

Sideboard:-2 Cabal Ritual, -3 Ponder, -1 Infernal, +3 Pyroblast, +2 Vexing Shusher, +1 Wipe Away.

Game Two: I keep a hand of..Brainstorm, Brainstorm, Mystical, LED, Dark Ritual, Infernal Tutor, Orim's Chant. He plays Island, go. I play Gemstone, Brainstorm. He dazes. Then wastes my Gemstone. I never see another land/manasource in 10 turns.

Game Three: I open up...City of Brass, Orim's Chant, Orim's Chant, Gemstone Mine, LED, LED and Brainstorm. Gemstone, pass. Island, Pass. Draw Burning Wish, land pass. Island, Standstill. I EOT Brainstorm. Into Petal, Rite of Flame, X. I Chant x2,2nd one resolves, Petal, Rite, LEDx2. Diminishing Returns into the awful. Chant, Chant, LED, Dark Ritual, Rite of Flame, Mox, Land. Draw Branstorm. Brainstorm into Tutor. 2x Chant, LEDx2, + mana, Tutor. Win.

5-1

Round Seven: Survival Elves (BirdMan) Feature Match

Game One: We get deck checked, he has 5 Taiga and 4 Savannah, when it's supposed to be 4/3. I get game one.

Game Two: He mulligans to four on the play. I go nuts.

6-1

Top 8: Survival Elves (Di)

Game One: He wins the die roll, I keep. Mystical Tutor, Dark Ritual, Ill-Gotten Gains, LED, LED, Chrome Mox, Burning Wish. Practically 1 of 30 cards wins me the game in the first 4 turns. He kills me turn 5.

Sideboard: -2 Cabal Ritual, -1 Infernal, +2 Shattering Spree, +1 Duress.

Game Two: I tell him don't bother mulliganing. Duress, City of Brass, LED, LED, Petal, Petal, Infernal Tutor.

Game Three: It gets dragged out, I'm cantripping for Protection and bounce. He's drawing and passing. He eventually starts putting me on a clock. I Duress, see two Chant. Next turn I Chant, he Chants back. Turn after I cast Ad Nauseum at 7 draw 8 cards. Burning Wish for Tendrils for 20.

7-1

Top 4: Canadian Threshold (Lam Phan)

Game One: He plays 2 Wasteland and Stifles my Moxen. I eventually get Ad Nauseum to resolve. I'm at 12, it looks like I have the game won, but I need 1 more mana source. I flip Ill-Gotten Gains at 4.

Sideboard:-2 Cabal Ritual, -1 Infernal, -2 Ponder, +3 Pyroblast, +2 Vexing Shusher.

Game Two: I open my hand of Mox, Mox, Infernal, Dark Ritual, LED, Mystical, black card? I play it all out. Cast Infernal floating BBBB, Mox untapped. Lam Let's it resolve. Then forces IGG. I lose.

Props:
    Kyle Dorgan - Combo is good, huh?
    Colin - we called top 8ing the night before.
    Chris Saunders for paying up.
    Subway for Buffalo Chicken.
    Gagooch for selling me that Mystical.
    Carl Dillahay - Just awesome.

Slops:
    Kyle Dorgan and Phil Stolze. ANT Really?
    Canada
    Dave Caplan for being awful at Magic. READ YOUR CARDS.
    Birdman and Kyle Cappello - Not selling me that Jap Foil Wipeaway like promised.

Tom MacDonald
    May 2007
    Stoughton, MA

Re: 3rd Place at Winter Wonderland - The Paired Down Story

Gratz on the finish Bryant, good show.
    Team Hammafist
    Quote Originally Posted by Admiral_Arzar View Post
    What kind of fucked-up, drug-laden, alternate universe of faerie rape does this guy live in?

Mantis Toboggan, M.D.
    Aug 2006
    Toronto, Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Bryant Cook View Post
    Slops:
    Canada
    Dave Caplan for being awful at Magic. READ YOUR CARDS.
    Yeah that was awful. I was playing it right all day, just blanked from lack of sleep. Didn't matter through. If I had done it during his turn I would have lost.

And Canada owns.

Congrats on your top 8, maybe next time you won't get knocked out by a Canadian again.

Artist formerly known as Anti-American
    May 2005
    Thursday...

I see you're running a Duress in the SB again? I take it that thanks to Mystical Tutor, you can actually afford wasting a Tutor on a protection spell?

Btw, why Wipe Away over, say Krosan Grip? Wipe Away has UU in it's cost, whereas with Grip, it has G.
    ICBE - We're totally the coolest Anti-Thesis ever.

"The Citrus-God just had a Citrus-Supernova... in your mouth."

Wipeaway can bounce a land to get out of your hand for Infernal Tutor. Not to mention UU never matters, we play Cinq lands.

Artist formerly known as Anti-American
    May 2005
    Thursday...

Wipeaway can bounce a land to get out of your hand for Infernal Tutor. Not to mention UU never matters, we play Cinq lands.
    Makes sense.
    ICBE - We're totally the coolest Anti-Thesis ever.

"The Citrus-God just had a Citrus-Supernova... in your mouth."

Always dazed
    Apr 2006
    Ravenna, Italy

Grats on the finish. It's always a pleasure to read combo reports, they're arguably the most enjoyables.
    About the report:

Game Two: I keep a hand of..Brainstorm, Brainstorm, Mystical, LED, Dark Ritual, Infernal Tutor, Orim's Chant. He plays Island, go. I play Gemstone, Brainstorm. He dazes. Then wastes my Gemstone. I never see another land/manasource in 10 turns.
    Why did you keep this hand without a land? Is there a typo?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape, TrialByFire, Silverdragon mix
    We got Goyf Threshold, Deadgoyf Ale, Survival of the Goyfest and Goyfalid Breakfast.
    It probably won't end until we have decks like Goyf Stax, Goyfbelcher, Goyfchantress, Vial Goyflins, Goyfstill, Goyf from the Loam, Faergoyf Stompy, Goyf-Pox, Goyf Confinement, 8-Land Goyfstompy, and the Dave Gearhart classic, Goyfidarity.
    And Ichgoyfrid, Red Deadgoyf, GES, 42landand4goyf.dec, Goyf Game and Ill-Gotten-Goyf-y Pop
    Currently Playing: Nourishing Lich.Deck
    Current Record: 1-83-2

Quote Originally Posted by GreenOne View Post
    Grats on the finish. It's always a pleasure to read combo reports, they're arguably the most enjoyables.
    About the report:

Why did you keep this hand without a land? Is there a typo?
    One of the Brainstorms is a Gemstone Mine. Sorry about that.

+Hollywood+
    Nov 2003
    Upstate NY

Nice work, Bryant.

I might be able to scrounge up an "out-of-bounds" chit to leave for Chicago in March and play some serious Magical cards once again. I hope I get the chance to massacre your dreams one more time.
    Truth, justice...and the American way.

Get Money, Ghost
    Oct 2005
    Albany

I'm sorry already.

You won, get the fuck over it.

Grats on the finish.
    Team Rehab- We Keep Coming Back For More
    Team Blitzkrieg- Swagga.
    Storm Boards
    Quote Originally Posted by FakeSpam View Post
    Legacy is like Japan. We don't make stuff, we just make stuff better.

Refuses to play dual lands
    Mar 2007
    Terryville, CT

Game Two: I keep a hand with the possibility of a turn 2 win with Mystical... Mystical, Brainstorm, Petal, LED, Dark Ritual, Duress, LED. He plays turn one thoughtsieze, takes Petal. "Doesn't matter, I have a land on top of the deck". Draw for turn, GEMSTONE MINE. I play out the LED's. Pass, he plays Goyf, I mystical for Ad Nauseum. Win.
    this may be a dumb rules question, but can you mystical during your upkeep and crack LED's and have mana during your draw step? I thought mana pools drained between upkeep/draw
    TEAM AWESOME

Well, at least we smell better

Feb 2006
    Boston

Nope, they empty at the end of your draw step, before your precombat main phase.

just wants to cuddle
    Jan 2006
    Geneseo NY

Grats on the finish! Your deck was running so smooth, I'da been surprised if you missed the T8.
    I'm here to kick ass and play card games.

BZK

Quote Originally Posted by rsaunder View Post
    Grats on the finish! Your deck was running so smooth, I'da been surprised if you missed the T8.
    Thanks. I rarely mulliganed all day, I think I may have like twice. I didn't mind winning 20 bucks from you either.

Mar 2007
    Terryville, CT

Game Two: I open Duress, LED, LED, Gemstone Mine, Brainstorm, Infernal, and Burning Wish. I lead with a Duress, I take Survival and see a Meddling Mage (No chant?). I draw a Mox turn two, Imprint Brainstorm, LED, LED, Burning Wish, IGG, LED, LED, Tutor, IGG, LED, LED, Tutor, Tendrils.
    Is there an error in this? IGG couldnt be played twice
    TEAM AWESOME

Loves the anus
    Dec 2007
    Rio de Janeiro, RJ - Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by bruenor View Post
    Is there an error in this? IGG couldnt be played twice
    It can when they are different cards. He Wished for one, then tutored for another.
    Keep moon-walking.

Mar 2007
    Terryville, CT

Quote Originally Posted by Jaiminho View Post
    It can when they are different cards. He Wished for one, then tutored for another.
    totally missed the word infernal in that line, my bad
    TEAM AWESOME

Great report, congrats on the finish and holy shit that deck must love you as much as you love it.

EDIT: maybe I should consider foiling it too?
    Quote Originally Posted by Race War View Post
    <Carnage> fuck idiot learn education

Thread Information