Thread: [Report] Winter Wonderland Top 2 Split - Canadian Thrash

Mantis Toboggan, M.D.
    Aug 2006
    Toronto, Canada

[Report] Winter Wonderland Top 2 Split - Canadian Thrash

After testing numerous (and I mean numerous) new decks for this event, we decided to stick to what we always play with a few sideboard adjustments. Was a terrible day, couldn't get to sleep the night before, ended up with 3 hours of sleep, coughing all day. That kinda sucked, but I troopered through.

4 Tarmogoyf
    4 Nimble Mongoose
    4 Lightning Bolt
    4 Daze
    4 Spell Snare
    4 Force of Will
    4 Stifle
    4 Fire/Ice
    4 Brainstorm
    1 Wipe Away
    1 Rushing River
    4 Ponder
    3 Polluted Delta
    4 Tropical Island
    4 Volcanic Island
    3 Flooded Strand
    4 Wasteland

Sideboard
    2 Pyroclasm
    2 Red Elemental Blast
    2 Pyroblast
    1 Krosan Grip
    4 Submerge
    4 Disrupt

Same maindeck as every other time.

Here are the matches: (hope I got some stuff right)

Round 1: Geoff Smelski: Konsultant (Man, I love playing this guy, no matter how it ends) Uwg Landstill

Game 1: I mulligan down to 6, keeping Goose, Fow, Rriver and 3 lands. Game wasn't too eventful, he kept factory on board to deal with my goose and cycles a Decree.

Game 2: Nimble mongoose goes the distance and counters do a good job stopping his Ajanis and wraths. Very tight game.

Game 3: He is severely mana screwed but I cannot draw a creature in the first 8-10 turns despite 3 brainstorms and a ponder. He vindicates 3 of my Trops, I hold the last one after a daze to eventually play a Goose. Nimble mongoose does a ton of damage. Plays a pair of Standstills that hit Reb, Spell Snare, his factory pump meets a stifle. His Ajanis meet my counters. He topdecks EE to deal with it, when he is at one. I play bolt with FOW backup. He has counterspell and fow with only 6 mana, so he can only use 1 counter.

Games: 2-1
    Matches: 1-0

Round 2: Randy Belcher: Counterslivers

Game 1: He mulligans. He plays turn 1 vial I have no counter. He drops a couple slivers, but i burn them. Goose and Goyf get there, after he plows 1 Goyf.

Game 2: No mulligan this time, but same as game 1. Turn 1 Vial meets no counter. I burn off his individual slivers, and kill him with a Nimble Mongoose.

Games: 2-0
    Matches: 2-0

Round 3: Gus Fellows: UGr Thresh (CB Top)

Game 1: I mulligan. He does not have a top, but he does have a CB. He misses on my creatures, and I kill him. I bolt his goyf.

Game 2: I mulligan to 5. I waste out his land, and he doesn't recover. I kill him with Goyf.

Matches: 3-0

Round 4: Joe: Survival with Vials

Game 1: I spell snare his survival, counter some goyfs, he has no more gas, I kill him with a Mongoose.

Game 2: I drop a Goyf, which he STPS. He drops a survival with 1 card in hand. He has a lot of lands, and he played 3 vials. I keep swinging with goyf. He topdecks Goyf and chooses to survival it away instead of playing it, so I stifle it. He topdecks another Goyf and does the same, and I respond accordingly. My goyf beats him down with the help of a submerge I believe.

Matches: 4-0

Round 5: Lam Phan - ID

Matches: 4-0-1

Round 6: Kyle Dorgan - ANT

Game 1: He mulligans, my deck does what it is supposed to and counters all his relevant spells and drop a Goyf to win.

Game 2: I keep a pretty bad hand, that in retrospect I should have mulliganed. I keep forgetting that I am not playing vintage. He duresses my force and drops a confidant, then comboes me out next turn.

Game 3: He plays all his stuff turn 1 including a brainstorm and duresses my force. He has no cards in hand. I draw and pass the turn. He cracks his LED during UPK floating it into draw step for an Ad Nauseam. I do not have another counter.

Games: 1-2
    Matches: 4-1-1

Round 6: Bert: Affinity

Game 1: He drops double disciple, so every goyf swing into an ornithopter is 2 life loss for me, plus the attack back. He gets me down to 3, I rushing riving his Disciples after he blocks my goyf with a frogmite, I finally ponder into a fire//ice for the Disciples. I kill him with goyfs.

Game 2: I burn and REB all his relevant spells but every turn he draws another creature, eventually he draws too many and kills me with cranial plating. He made quite a few mistakes, he should have won the game much much earlier.

Game 3: 5 Minutes left in the round, I need the win for top 8. We shuffle up quickly. I keep a 2 goyf + countermagic hand. I draw into a 3rd goyf, play them and start swinging. They are pretty small. Time is called I am on turn 3 of time, and I swing in with my goyfs while he is at 12. He crypts me before i declare blockers so the goyfs become 2/3's with Artifact and Sorcery in his graveyard. He then declares no blockers, which is very startling when I have a wasteland on board and a hand with 4 cards in it. I waste his land and bolt him, killing him. On board he had 3-4 creatures including an enforcer.

The spectators could not believe it :P.

Games: 2-1
    Matches: 4-1-1

I make it into top 8 in 4th seed with very high breakers. Lam is in 3rd seed meaning we are in different brackets.

Top 8:

James White: UWBG CounterTop

Game 1: Mulligans to 6. Keeps a hand that gets trumped by my wasteland. I kill him with a Mongoose because he doesn't have any lands. Stifle and waste keep him off lands. I end the game with 2 more wastelands in hand.

Game 2: He plays a counterbalance with 2 nonbasics, and I do not draw any wastes all game. He plays no more lands. He resolves a Goyf and starts the beats. I play my own goyf, and submerge his so that I can spell snare it. I kill him with the Goyf.

Matches: 5-1-1

Top 4:

Carl Dillahay: Team America

Game 1: I keep a land heavy draw, and allow his sinkhole to resolve despite having spell snare and daze in hand. He plays 2 more wastes and another sinkhole which I counter. I played a turn 1 mongoose, which dealt a great deal of damage. He resolves a Tombstalker, and swings with it, which i get back at him with a mongoose. He passes the turn without attacking with stalker, due to being at 7 life. I ice his stalker, and swing in, bringing him to 4. He keeps the stalker untapped and passes. I wipe away the stalker, and attack him down to 1, he can't replay the stalker without cracking fetchlands, so he looses.

Game 2: He plays a land, I waste it. I play land goose, He wastes it. We do draw Go for about 4 turns, neither drawing land. I get down a second of Goose that get him down to 10. He then resolves Tombstalker and 2 goyfs. The fetches and forces get him down to 7. He swings with tombstalker to take me down to 10, leaving 2 geese untapped. At this point, he has killed all my lands except a volcanic, which was tapped to play a ponder. He thoughtseizes me. My hand is Submerge, Submerge, Goyf, Goyf, Trop. I was under the impression at that moment (for some odd reason, I am going to blame it on tiredness) that Submerge required ME to have the forest. The reason I did not play tropical island on my turn instead of Volcanic was that I expected Daze hitting one of my submerges, invalidating my outs for this game. So I let his thoughtseize resolve, bringing him down to 5, he of course takes submerge. After the event Lam and I discussed if I would have played the submerge if I had read the card properly. I argued that I would not have, because if i played into a daze (which I expected) then I would have lost both submerges, and therefore my outs to this game. Either way, he passes the turn. I topdeck one of my outs, another submerge, which could have been a burn spell as well. Play the two submerges on his untapped goyfs and swing with the two geese for the win. He was quite upset with the topdeck, as I am sure I would have been, because he had a very strong board position. He made the mistake of playing thoughtseize after he attacked with the Tombstalker, which could have saved him the match.

Matches: 7-1-1

Top 2:
    Lam Phan- Split

And that's all she wrote.

Props:
    Canada for doing what we promised
    Lam for knocking out Bryant to keep up our streak
    Arnold Palmer, damn thats a good drink
    Canada for taking the event 2 years running
    Affinity, for not blocking
    Awesome store, as usual, lots of space, even for big guys
    Canadian Thrash, for still being awesome.
    Geoff, every time we play it is epic.
    Submerge MVP!!

Slops:
    Americans disrespecting Canadians, we are a real country eh.
    Tiredness/Asthma
    Last edited by goobafish; 01-04-2009 at 10:30 PM.

Get Money, Ghost
    Oct 2005
    Albany

Re: [Report] Winter Wonderland Top 2 Split - Canadian Thrash

Grats on the finish!

Canadian Thresh is just such a good deck.
    Team Rehab- We Keep Coming Back For More
    Team Blitzkrieg- Swagga.
    Storm Boards
    Quote Originally Posted by FakeSpam View Post
    Legacy is like Japan. We don't make stuff, we just make stuff better.

Bryant Cook

Congrats, even though you suck. :)

Faerie Godfather

Jul 2005
    Finland

Still on the top. Nice.

Way to keep the fire alive!

Source Random
    Aug 2006
    Ottawa, Canada

Well done guys. Someone give Gooba adept status for plain kick-assery.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinious View Post
    This thread disgusts me. Carry on.

Bryant Cook

Yeah, we'll get on that just because you said so.

NO FUN JUST PSYCHATOGS
    Oct 2005
    Boston, Massachusetts

Quote Originally Posted by goobafish View Post
    Awesome store, as usual, lots of space, even for big guys
    Did you even look around the store? :(
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryant Cook
    This change also changed the sideboard, Xantid Swarm - it’s been real. Peace.

Mantis Toboggan, M.D.
    Aug 2006
    Toronto, Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Ebinsugewa View Post
    Did you even look around the store? :(
    Yeah, they had a lot of tables and room to move around. I guess this is in comparison to our Canadian stores, which are quite cramped normally, with very little seating.

Worldslayer
    Dec 2005
    MA

Nice sideboard man, I really like the Disrupts especially good stuff. Grats on your victory no surprise you guys took it down again.
    UR Dreadstill creator and BRx WGD Combo Pioneer
    Quote Originally Posted by xsockmonkeyx View Post
    EDIT: and Roodmistah. If Dreadstill sucks then he's been mopping up the East Coast with a "crap" deck and making you all look bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabbi View Post
    "Protection from player" is like a joke ability from Unglued. Ban this crap from legacy asap.

Jun 2006
    Germany

Disrupt and Submerge really seem to be nice additions in the board. Do you still remember what you did sideboard in and out in those matches you played (as with the new sideboard the boarding advices in your primer are outdated.) I am especially not sure when to board Disrupt (for example, did you board it against Landstill?
    Another question is what you board against Team America. Actually you could bring in 12 cards, but that's for sure not practical.
    And did you only run 1 Krosan Grip because you felt it was enough with all those cantrips or was there simply no room for more? Was the board in general just pretty good for this metagame or would you also use it in an unknown meta?

explosive
    Feb 2006
    Germany - RLP

Quote Originally Posted by Muradin View Post
    Disrupt and Submerge really seem to be nice additions in the board. Do you still remember what you did sideboard in and out in those matches you played (as with the new sideboard the boarding advices in your primer are outdated.)
    And did you only run 1 Krosan Grip because you felt it was enough with all those cantrips or was there simply no room for more? Was the board in general just pretty good for this metagame or would you also use it in an unknown meta?
    My guess is that the single Krosan Grip is there to simply support Rushing River and Wipe Away as they can play the same role as K-Grip under certain circumstances. Most of the time you only need to buy some time and Rushing River and Wipe Away are already fine for that purpose.
    Team SPOD
    <Der_imaginäre_Freund> props:
    Adan for being the NQG God (drawer)

Sep 2006
    Montreal

Good job and nice "old school" SB choices (Submerge + Disrupt).

Quote Originally Posted by Bryant Cook View Post
    Yeah, we'll get on that just because you said so.
    Whatever he or you said, you still didn't win... and I'm considering canceling my subscription to your fanclub

Pandora
    Jul 2007
    North Syracuse

Congrats on the finish, I look forward to our next encounter.
    Team Pandora

Team Disqualified Poster

Thread Information