Thread: [Concept]Haakon Stax

[Concept]Haakon Stax

Basically, Knight of the Reliquary made me think of Haakon Stronmgald Scourge, which seems like a card that could work very well with smokestack and it's cousin Braids, Cabal Minion.

This is a pretty simple concept: Put Smokestack or Braids into play, lockdown, and eventually get Haakon into play to recur knights for the finish.

4x Ancient Tomb
    4x City of Traitors
    10x Swamp

4x Smokestack
    4x Braids, Cabal Minon

4x Chalice of the Void
    4x Thorn of Amethyst
    4x Trinisphere
    4x Chrome Mox

4x Haakon, Stromgald Scourge
    4x Stinkweed Imp
    4x Bitterblossom

2x Cairn Wanderer
    1x Moonglove Changeling
    1x Order of Yawgmoth
    1x Stillmoon Cavalier
    1x Dunerider Outlaw

I think the card choices are farily straightforward. Some minor anti-synergy with Bitterblossom, Smokestack, and Thorn, and with Bitterblossom and 3-sphere.

I posted this in casual because it's completely untested, and I was looking for opinons.

Site Contributor
    Aug 2008

Re: [Concept]Haakon Stax

How do you get both Haakon and the Imp in your yard?
    I liked the concept of the deck. Really did.
    Think that Smallpox would be good, discardin Haakon or Imp, and solving the criature removal problem.

Edit: You could also try 1 Nameless Inversion. and also, i forgot, 2 or 3 Crucible of Worlds, please.

Quote Originally Posted by ScatmanX View Post
    How do you get both Haakon and the Imp in your yard?
    I liked the concept of the deck. Really did.
    Think that Smallpox would be good, discardin Haakon or Imp, and solving the criature removal problem.
    The obvious to dredge Haakon into the GY. Haakon prolly wants to be a 2-3 of since he's not playable from the hand :/.

I had thought about Smallpox. Cabal Therapy and Sickening Dreams could also be good for similar reasons. Mercenary Knight would be a fun way to go.

I'll have to think on it.

Site Contributor
    Aug 2008

So, Smallpox is the best option! Sickening dremas is also neat, but smallpox is more versatile. try it.

NO FUN JUST PSYCHATOGS
    Oct 2005
    Boston, Massachusetts

How do you plan on keeping Haakon safe in the bin? Seems like if one were to remove one (or all with Extirpate) it would really suck. Or if he got Plowed. Try diversifying win conditions? Are your other dudes plus Blossom good enough to go the distance?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryant Cook
    This change also changed the sideboard, Xantid Swarm - it’s been real. Peace.

Needs more Nameless Inversion >.> It does wonders against aggro decks. Dosent kill Dreadnaught but hey, buh bye gobbos.

This game is not a democracy.

Jun 2008
    Milford, MI

The synergy of Bitterblossom and Stax has come up more than a few times, and at first glance it seems unbeatable. The problem you run in to is while this means you're not losing permanents, you're losing life each turn. A stax deck typically needs a lot of turns to win, and trying to mix and aggressive strategy with Smokestack won't get you far. Of course you could sac the Blossom to the Stack, but then you're giving up position you can't easily replace. Also, a lot of these cards just don't play well with Chalice@2. Hakkon might be a neat trick to abuse with Smokestack, but I don't see Bitterblossom being part of the equation.
    "Michael opens with Lotus Petal, Academy Ruins, Phyrexian Dreadnaught, and Stifle. I Force of Will the Stifle, but he has Force of Will backup. I Ponder on turn one and again on turn two, but fail to find a Swords to Plowshares before he has smashed me twice. " That's losing to Mike Sanchirico.

Team Bad Guys.

Thread Information