Page 32 of 88 FirstFirst ... 222829303132333435364282 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] Affinity

Re: [Deck] Vial Affinity

Kataki is also good against Vial, top or any other cheap artifact.

Don't Tell Stacy
    Jul 2010
    Sioux City, IA

A friend has tested this list with pretty good success. Try it out.

14 Land
    4 Seat of the Synod
    4 Ancient Den
    4 Darksteel Citadel
    2 Glimmervoid

31 Creatures
    4 Memnite
    4 Ornithoper
    4 Signal Pest
    4 Frogmite
    4 Ethersworn Canonist
    4 Etched Champion
    4 Master of Etherium
    3 Myr Enforcer

15 Spells
    4 Thoughtcast
    4 Springleaf Drum
    4 Cranial Plating
    3 Mox Opal

Etched Champion hoses aggro and tribal. There's 16 must counter threats (20 if you feel like including canonist.) Randomly loses to EE and Powder Keg.

That list looks far too mana intensive for its own good. Myr Enforcer I feel isn't as useful as it once was at this point. There's a number of cards that I don't run, but would consider running over Myr Enforcer. Etched Champion I see either as a metagame choice, or a potential sideboard card. It's expensive, and I wouldn't ever considering running more than 2 between my board and sideboard. No Vedalken Certarchs? Your deck would really benefit from a reduction in its mana expenses, and that card is one heck of a fine 1 drop.

Steadily climbing the ladder...

http://sales.starcitygames.com//deck...p?DeckID=37037

Decent list. Galvanic Blast seems alright, but a red splash kind of meh to me.
    My MTG Blog
    "The game is not worth the candle."

Taobotmox

Sep 2005
    Germany

This is my current list. Ancient Tomb is the nuts btw. There is really no reason not to play Tomb. Artifact lands count as Affinity for some spells, Ancient Tomb counts as Affinity for all spells. Not being an Artifact for Ravager and Plating is not nearly as relevant as attacking with Plating and/or playing Ravager/Overseer/Champion one turn earlier. City of Traitors is great, too, but only half the time good on T1 and multiples suck. It also allows for turn 1 Chalice of the Void on 1 - especially if they use Enlightened Tutor. You can side in Chalice for Pest in some matchups when on the play in G2 or G3 and you know they play a lot or dangerous CC 1 spells in addition to being good against Combo.

I tried to play Chalice maindeck but you really need every spell you can get and it made the deck inconsistent.

// Mana
    4 [HOP] Seat of the Synod
    3 [DS] Darksteel Citadel
    4 [TE] Ancient Tomb
    3 [EX] City of Traitors
    4 [LRW] Springleaf Drum
    4 [SOM] Mox Opal

// Creatures
    4 [SOM] Memnite
    4 [R] Ornithopter
    4 [MBS] Signal Pest
    4 [MR] Frogmite
    3 [FNM] Myr Enforcer

3 [SOM] Etched Champion
    4 [DS] Arcbound Ravager
    4 [M11] Steel Overseer

// Spells
    4 [HOP] Cranial Plating
    4 [MR] Thoughtcast

// Sideboard
    SB: 4 [MR] Chalice of the Void
    SB: 3 [SOK] Pithing Needle
    SB: 4 [ZEN] Mindbreak Trap
    SB: 4 [FNM] Tormod's Crypt

my own BUG home brew:

4 Arcbound Ravager
    4 Disciple of the Vault
    3 Etched Champion
    4 Frogmite
    4 Memnite
    4 Ornithopter
    4 Phyrexian Walker

4 Cranial Plating
    4 Glimpse of Nature
    3 Mox Opal
    3 Springleaf Drum
    4 Thoughtcast

3 Inkmoth Nexus
    4 Seat of the Synod
    4 Tree of Tales
    4 Vault of Whispers

still working on sb and and please leave comments

Feb 2010
    innsbruck, austria

i do not think inkmoth nexus has a place in this deck.... actually blinkmoth nexus would be better suited if you ask me, otherwise i think phyrexian walker is just not needed since you allready have 8 creatures for cmc 0... if you want to stick with them i suggest trying erayo

inkmouth is for the out of nowhere win and the walkers are place holders same as glimpse. Until affinity stabilizes with some sort of standard list. I would use blinkmouth but sadly do not have any

Not playing Bant
    Oct 2010
    Rockwall, Texas

As cool as Inkmoth Nexus with Cranial Plating sounds, I think you are just better off running Galvanic Blasts for that mid game push.

Inkmoth Nexus is far too slow to have any effect in this deck.

Quote Originally Posted by lambert101 View Post
    Until affinity stabilizes with some sort of standard list...
    Lists have been pretty standard for a while:
    http://sales.starcitygames.com//deck...37&deck2=36642

With a 13 card difference maindeck, it's pretty safe to say that Signal Pest and Memnite have found room, Etched Champion is no joke, and a lot of the classic cards are going nowhere.
    My MTG Blog

Taobotmox

Sep 2005
    Germany

Okay, since I got ignored with my last post. Let's discuss Ancient Tomb.

In my testing, it is flat out awesome. Obviously not in a list with overly many colored spells, but in a list that focusses on the beatdown plan. It often enough speeds up the deck by a full turn (T1 Ravager/Overseer/Pest+Drum/Drum+free creature + 1 Mana floating; Plating equip or Champion a turn earlier).

Jun 2009
    Minnesota

Tomb seems good, has the life loss been relevant in those games where they counter some business and you stumble for a few turns looking for extra business?

Do you miss Disciple and more consistent instant Plating equips with that list? My local meta likes sweepers + Emrakul so they usually pull their weight along with the wins I get from having that + Ravager/Foundry out at the same time. Plating tricks have been nice as well.

Has 4 Ornithopter felt like too many? Since Pest was printed I went to two and haven't really regretted it. Only reason I liked them was for evasive plating action and Pest does that as well.

I like your list, looks so much more streamlined than mine.

Signal pest seems weak...sure its a mini lord but when you are swinging into goyf a nd knight is it really worth it, and ya it can carry plating but so can thopter

I have no issue swinging over them and giving use to other small creatures in my possession.
    My MTG Blog

Taobotmox

Sep 2005
    Germany

@AlexAI: It plays out consistently with many extremely fast hands for the price of having less reach in form of Blast & Disciple. It might be a good idea to add Disciple back for some Ornithopers and play less City of Traitors / Citadels for 4 Vault of Whispers. Instantly equipping Plating would be another advantage of that.
    I am not sure about the exact list, probably you are right about Disciple and Vault of Whispers. But I am 100% sure that Tomb belongs in the deck. The deck is too fast to care about life loss - especially those hands with Tomb.

@lambert: Pest might be bad in theory, but I don't think anyone who tested with it gone back from it yet. It is really good, doing a lot of things.

Signal Pest just doesn't seem worth the 1 to me. If I'd spend the 1, it'd be on a worker, maybe a certarch. But the memnites serve as great 1/1s for now.

Nov 2007
    Finland

Quote Originally Posted by Arcbound Vacuum Cleaner View Post
    Signal Pest just doesn't seem worth the 1 to me. If I'd spend the 1, it'd be on a worker, maybe a certarch. But the memnites serve as great 1/1s for now.
    Luckily, it does seem good for others. After all, it is a 1-mana lord with evasion. Memnites and Ornithopters make Pest awesome and vice versa.
    Some of my friends sell records,
    some of my friends sell drugs.

Jul 2010
    Plano, Texas

Signal Pest is probably the best thing to happen to Affinity since they printed Mirrodin block.

I don't like Ancient Tomb though. It feels clunky. Half the time, if it had been an artifact land, I would have gotten the same effect or better. (Mox Opal, Frogmite, Thoughtcast, etc)

Mar 2007
    Montreal, Qc

Etched Champion is good but slow, formidable topdeck vs. anything tribal, etc. Galvanic Blast is the BOMB (so is Darkblast), I don't understand why people forget about it. Steel Overseer is a permanent Signal Pest, which I think doesn't do enough for this build :

MD:
    4 Seat of the Synod
    4 Darksteel Citadel
    4 Great Furnace
    4 Vault of Whispers

4 Disciple of the Vault
    4 Arcbound Ravager
    4 Frogmite
    4 Ornithopter
    4 Myr Enforcer
    3 Memnite
    2 Steel Overseer