Page 68 of 83 FirstFirst ... 185864656667686970717278 ... LastLast
Results 1,341 to 1,360 of 1655

Thread: [Deck] Affinity

  1. #1341
    Member

    Join Date

    Jun 2008
    Location

    London
    Posts

    53

    Re: [Deck] Affinity

    Hi All,

    please excuse me if this is an ignorant question. I was watching Drew Levin's videos, and impressed by the deck. One thing that struck me, however, is that legacy is absolutely ripe for abuse by a chalice of the void deck. A chalice on 1 destroys so many strategies, and also hinders the set up for many of this deck's (difficult) combo matchups. Do those who know such things think that main deck chalice is viable? Of course it interacts with the signal pests and drums, but the damage caused to most opponents is going to be far worse (for them!). Further, although the drums are sacrosanct, perhaps the pests could be replaced with something like steel overseer. Of course I appreciate this would affect the explosiveness of the deck. Also there is the question of what could be replaced, possibly (although this is probably heresy) the thoughtcasts?

    Thanks

  2. #1342

    Re: [Deck] Affinity

    I have Chalice of the Void in the sideboard, because as you say, it does put a hurting on a number of decks in this format. However, there aren't enough decks like that to warrant running it in the maindeck for a deck like Affinity. Maindeck Chalice is fine for mid-ranged or control decks, such as Stax, Aggro Loam, or various (fill in the blank) Stompy decks. It goes against the aggro strategy of Affinity, though. So leave it in the side and bring it in against combo, Threshold, Burn, or other decks that are really heavy on one-drops. And obviously, when you bring it in, you should focus on siding out your own one drops.
    I see more than others do because I know where to look.

  3. #1343
    Legacy Vagabond
    Shawon's Avatar
    Join Date

    Dec 2007
    Location

    Cheshire, CT
    Posts

    1,095

    Re: [Deck] Affinity

    I just thought of something that could actually speed up the deck, more than Galvanic Blast could do. See this line of play and guess the card:

    Turn 1: Inkmoth, Mox, Memnite, Drum, Ravager.

    Turn 2: Attack with Ravager and Inkmoth. During Combat Damage Step, tap for mana, sacrifice artifacts to Ravager and then sacrifice Ravager to make Inkmoth a 5/5, cast ________ and then win!

    That's six cards, but for a turn 2 win. I don't think Affinity is capable of a turn 2 finish unless you have the absolute nuts hand with Inkmoth and Ravager. My point is that with said card, you can power out a lot of fast wins. This might be our answer to beat some of the slower combo decks instead of having to SB like crazy against them. It might be too cute, but if you're running a robust offense, such as Arcbound Ravager and Inkmoth, the card's pretty live since you can just steal a win with it at any time.

  4. #1344

    Re: [Deck] Affinity

    Quote Originally Posted by Shawon View Post
    I just thought of something that could actually speed up the deck, more than Galvanic Blast could do. See this line of play and guess the card:

    Turn 1: Inkmoth, Mox, Memnite, Drum, Ravager.

    Turn 2: Attack with Ravager and Inkmoth. During Combat Damage Step, tap for mana, sacrifice artifacts to Ravager and then sacrifice Ravager to make Inkmoth a 5/5, cast ________ and then win!

    That's six cards, but for a turn 2 win. I don't think Affinity is capable of a turn 2 finish unless you have the absolute nuts hand with Inkmoth and Ravager. My point is that with said card, you can power out a lot of fast wins. This might be our answer to beat some of the slower combo decks instead of having to SB like crazy against them. It might be too cute, but if you're running a robust offense, such as Arcbound Ravager and Inkmoth, the card's pretty live since you can just steal a win with it at any time.
    Boros Charm requires 2 mana and Assault Strobe is a sorcery so not sure what else there is. You can't be referring to Desperate Gambit, right?

  5. #1345
    Legacy Vagabond
    Shawon's Avatar
    Join Date

    Dec 2007
    Location

    Cheshire, CT
    Posts

    1,095

    Re: [Deck] Affinity

    Nope, it's an older card.

  6. #1346

    Re: [Deck] Affinity

    Its Berserk

  7. #1347
    Legacy Vagabond
    Shawon's Avatar
    Join Date

    Dec 2007
    Location

    Cheshire, CT
    Posts

    1,095

    Re: [Deck] Affinity

    Quote Originally Posted by Woe_Bringer View Post
    Its Berserk
    Winner winner chicken dinner

    Realistically, though, I can't see myself playing with Berserk as the damn card costs like $40-80 a piece (only $40 if you get the FTV version).

    Anyway, another cool trick with Berserk is attacking with a Plated Master of Etherium and resolving Berserk, easily hitting trample damage for 20+.
    Last edited by Shawon; 09-28-2013 at 10:32 PM.

  8. #1348

    Re: [Deck] Affinity

    Maybe-lst for tomorrow. Lots of combo, tired of playing dredge.

    Brobots

    Creatures
    4 Etched Champion
    4 Frogmite
    4 Master of Etherium
    4 Memnite
    3 Ornithopter
    4 Vault Skirge

    Artifacts
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Cranial Plating
    3 Springleaf Drum
    4 Mox Opal

    Spells
    4 Thoughtcast

    Plainswalkers
    3 Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas

    Land
    4 Ancient Tomb
    3 Glimmervoid
    4 Seat of the Synod
    4 Vault of Whispers

    Sideboard
    4 Tormod's Crypt
    3 Ethersworn Cannonist
    4 Cabal Therapy
    4 Oblivion Ring

  9. #1349
    Member
    AggroSteve's Avatar
    Join Date

    Feb 2010
    Location

    innsbruck, austria
    Posts

    422

    Re: [Deck] Affinity

    @big mana

    i have to say i really like your list with chalice maindeck,... the only thing i do not like are the glimmervoids, i think they should be ancient dens to help the speed of the deck, because with chalice you will allready be a bit slower than stock-list affinitys, but i like your decision for a comboheavy meta

    @shawon

    i have a question reguarding chalice main for a straight UB list, would thorn of amethyst in this case be a good sideboard decision against combo?
    and under a thorn of amethyst, does thoughcast still cost only U if you have 5 artifact in play?

  10. #1350
    Legacy Vagabond
    Shawon's Avatar
    Join Date

    Dec 2007
    Location

    Cheshire, CT
    Posts

    1,095

    Re: [Deck] Affinity

    Quote Originally Posted by AggroSteve View Post
    @shawon

    i have a question reguarding chalice main for a straight UB list, would thorn of amethyst in this case be a good sideboard decision against combo?
    and under a thorn of amethyst, does thoughcast still cost only U if you have 5 artifact in play?
    Remember: [Cost + Cost resistors] - Cost reducers = New Cost

    So yes, Thoughtcast still costs under Thorn of Amethyst if you have 5 artifacts or more in play.

    [ + ] - =
    Last edited by Shawon; 10-02-2013 at 12:10 PM.

  11. #1351

    Re: [Deck] Affinity

    Quote Originally Posted by Shawon View Post
    Remember: [Cost + Cost resistors] - Cost reducers + Cost Modifiers like Trinisphere = New Cost
    Don't forget the rest of the formula! Trinisphere + Affinity for <Something> makes things cost 3.

  12. #1352

    Re: [Deck] Affinity

    Quote Originally Posted by BigMana View Post
    Maybe-lst for tomorrow. Lots of combo, tired of playing dredge.

    Brobots

    Creatures
    4 Etched Champion
    4 Frogmite
    4 Master of Etherium
    4 Memnite
    3 Ornithopter
    4 Vault Skirge

    Artifacts
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Cranial Plating
    3 Springleaf Drum
    4 Mox Opal

    Spells
    4 Thoughtcast

    Plainswalkers
    3 Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas

    Land
    4 Ancient Tomb
    3 Glimmervoid
    4 Seat of the Synod
    4 Vault of Whispers

    Sideboard
    4 Tormod's Crypt
    3 Ethersworn Cannonist
    4 Cabal Therapy
    4 Oblivion Ring
    Paradise Mantle over Springleaf Drum because of Chalice?

  13. #1353
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Full-House View Post
    MTG is a game 13+ (btw in cinematograph rating PG-13 allows nudity), while forum is open to anyone, and children under this age can see your picture and wonder how tezzeret is assosiated with anus and what is sexual t-rex means. Who knows where this path would take them? Are you responsible for their actions under the impression of your profile? I think no. You should be assamed.

  14. #1354

    Gpdc

    I played in GPDC over the weekend, ended up making day 2 at 7-2 and finishing up the weekened 10-5 which I don't feel was too bad for my first GP day 2 (4th GP overall) finishing in 140th out of the 1698 that showed up.
    4 Arcbound Ravager
    4 Frogmite
    4 Memnite
    4 Ornithopter
    4 Signal Pest
    4 Vault Skirge
    4 Etched Champion
    Planeswalkers (3)

    3 Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas
    Lands (17)

    4 Seat of the Synod
    4 Vault of Whispers
    4 Ancient Den
    4 Ancient Tomb
    1 Glimmervoid
    Spells (16)

    4 Cranial Plating
    4 Springleaf Drum
    4 Mox Opal
    4 Thoughtcast
    Sideboard

    2 Whipflare
    3 Ethersworn Canonist
    4 Chalice of the Void
    3 Rest in Peace
    3 Ensnaring Bridge

    my overall Game Record was 24-12 or something close
    R1: ***BYE***
    R2: RUG Delver -- 2-0
    R3: Jund -- 2-1
    R4: Goblins -- 2-0 (main deck goblin tinkerer, SB chalice of the void + a bunch of other artifact hate >.>)
    R5: Table 1 against Sam Black on Bant Trueblade -- 2-0
    R6: Storm -- 1-2
    R7: Aggro Loam -- 1-2
    R8: Bant Trueblade -- 2-0
    R9: Grixis Delver (Eric Rill) -- 2-0
    Day 2:
    R10: Michael Martin on Shardless BUG -- 0-2
    R11: Elves -- 1-2
    R12: RUG Delver -- 2-0 (possibly 2-1 but I cannot remember)
    R13: UWR Miracles -- 2-1
    R14: Shardless BUG -- 2-0
    R15: Sneak and Show -- 1-2 (one of these game loses was due to me being an idiot and not hearing them call the pairings... but oh well I learned my lesson)

    Cheers :)

  15. #1355
    Legacy Vagabond
    Shawon's Avatar
    Join Date

    Dec 2007
    Location

    Cheshire, CT
    Posts

    1,095

    Re: Gpdc

    Good job on the 10-5! 140th is pretty decent when you take into account the attendance size being ~1700. You did Affinity proud.

    Your MD looks nice. I'm a fan of streamlined MDs for Affinity, without any of those nonsense 1 or 2-ofs that many subpar Affinity lists run. Ever since Drew Levin's Affinity introduction piece, I've started to agree that having 25 mana sources is the way to go if you want to reliably cast bombs such as Etched Champion or Tezz. For the last two weeks, all of my goldfish testing has been focused on determining which card should be my 25th mana source, and I was literally trying out a hundred games each testing either Glimmervoid, Lotus Petal or Paradise Mantle. I started trying out Glimmervoid when I noticed a lot of mulligan-able hands with Mantle in it, however, I just couldn't stand Glimmervoid due to the fact it became utterly useless when I hit my mana threshold. I just played in a 30-man local over the weekend with Paradise Mantle, and I didn't run into any mulligan problems, so I'll probably stick to playing Mantle, since I also play Stoneforge Mystic which can grab Mantle in uncommon situations.

    Do you have any insights to share regarding your wins/losses? What cards worked for you in the SB? What was your SB strategy against certain matchups; what cards did you take out and put in post-board?

  16. #1356
    Site Contributor
    Ziveeman's Avatar
    Join Date

    Aug 2006
    Location

    Arizona
    Posts

    287

    Re: [Deck] Affinity

    Is that a 64 card MD or am I just miscounting? 28 creatures + 3 planeswalkers + 16 spells + 17 lands

    Regardless, grats on your finish.
    Magic: the Gathering players in Arizona, click here!
    @mtgtwin1 on Twitter
    3 SCG Open Top 8s
    GP Denver 2013 Top 64
    GP NJ 2014 110th/4001
    AZMagicPlayers.com Legacy Series Tournament Organizer
    Random Brews/Decks Galore!

  17. #1357

    Re: [Deck] Affinity

    Quote Originally Posted by anakyn View Post
    When I'm searching for competitive lists I usually surf TC Decks site, probably the bigger and best database for tournament decklists: http://www.thecouncil.es/tcdecks/index.php

    You should find many Affinity lists running Pierce in the last year.

    Hope it will help you.





    Our opinions about Pierce and Chalice are very different, or maybe we play in very different metas.

    You can probably agree with me when I say Chalice is better vs RUG and many combo decks like Storm, Dredge, Reanimator and Elves (against combo Spell pierce won't save you unless you find at least 2 of them, since they usually have either lots of discard or counterspells, and sometimes both, so they will start their combo when they are sure your Pierce will be useless or discarded; while Chalice can literally make you win alone if not countered), which right now are respectively:
    - the most played (and probably stronger) deck in the format
    - probably our worst match-ups

    Chalice is far better than Pierce also against Burn, another matchup not so favorable to us (usually Burn can deal 20 dmg faster than us, and kill our Skirges easily if we land them).


    On the other hand, I would say Pierce is absolutely better vs Control because it can interact with their removal and planeswalkers.

    But I don't think it would save you very often from Terminus, since they rarely play it with less then 3 total mana in play.
    And against Show & tell, which is so full of counterspells that your Pierce will rarely resolve, I think Phyrexian Metamorph should definitely be more useful.
    Also against Spiral tide your Pierce shouldn't resolve very often, since they play both FoW and Pact (and Pierces sometimes).

    Pierce > Chalice vs planeswalkers, Pernicious deed, other forms of mass removal and generally speaking control stuff, that's for sure.

    But against Control our best card probably remains Tezzeret.


    Against Combo I would also play Cabal therapy (I don't remember if they are in your list) in addition to Chalice: I'm pretty sure both Chalice and Therapy are better than Pierce in combo matchups.
    Of course Pierce would be very strong against combo if only we could follow a permission gameplan together with our traditional aggro plan (like Merfolks for example), but since we are Affinity we can rarely play more than 2-3 Pierces from SB... and 2-3 counters total are too few to fight current combos.


    So we can come to this general conclusion, tell me if you agree with me:
    - Chalice is best against many combo decks, RUG, Burn
    - Pierce is best against control
    - Cabal therapy is best against generic combo

    So everything depends from your meta.
    In my meta, the amount of RUG + Burn + Combo is bigger than Control, and that's probably why I prefer Chalice over Pierce.
    Probably your meta is the opposite, since you consider Pierce the best solution.

    Metas are fluid and with the recent addition of Abrupt decay there's a chance BUG control or tempo decks will find a nice spot: in that case Pierce would be very sweet against Pernicious deeds (but BUG usually plays 4x FoW and at least 4 more counterspells between Dazes and Pierces, so they could counter your Pierce) but useless against Decays.





    Your examples are surely correct.

    Yet they describe exactly the kind of situations I was referring before when pointing out the decks against which Pierce is better: Control.

    U/W is control; also reaching mid-game to keep U open without bothering too much is a typical situation we meet against Control, since combo usually kills us (or fizzles) before mid-game, while against aggro Pierce is usually dead.

    So here you are stating that Pierce is a house vs control, and I couldn't agree more as I said earlier.
    But the examples you brought don't concern other kind of decks.





    Of course you can keep your opinion about Pierce being generally better ("overshadowing") than Chalice.

    But imho, the thoughts and reasoning I've followed in the last posts shows that Pierce shouldn't be considered "generally better" than Chalice.

    We can say it's better in certain matchups, and at the same time we should say Chalice is better in others.


    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -


    Anyways, very nice and stimulating discussion :)
    Spell Pierce doesn't blank any of your own cards. Chalice can. For example Chalice on zero could be good against combo decks that use artifact mana but it also shuts off an unacceptable number of our own cards. Chalice on one is the best option of course and that blanks Springleaf Drum and Signal Pest and also prevents you from playing the aforementioned Pierce and discard, both of which I've found excellent. Chalice on two, while great against Storm, blanks Vault Skirge, Ravager, and most importantly Cranial Plating. When I play against combo with Affinity I prefer to slow them with Thoughtseize and Spell Pierce when possible and go for the kill as fast as I can. People tend not to see Spell Pierce coming from Affinity too lol. I have beaten Reanimator, Combo Elves, Belcher, and Sneak and Show with Affinity, and I believe you all would agree that those are poor matchups. Against the Reanimator guy he went for Entomb Elesh Norn Exhume off a Sea and two Lotus Petals and I Pierced and he swore a lot and ragequit and that was Game 2 lol. This is all just my opinion of course and I do not think anyone's ideas thus far expressed are wrong. :)

  18. #1358

    Re: [Deck] Affinity

    Quote Originally Posted by Shawon View Post
    I run 4 Opals, 4 Petals/Drum, 2 Sol lands and 4 Darksteel, all cards I want to see in my opening hand against RUG. I like my odds.



    I think facing RUG also emphasizes Affinity's best quality: redundancy. RUG only has consistency and not redundancy. What makes Affinity strong against RUG is a high threat density that's way too diverse to be handled by just one subset of RUG's answers. Bolt can get rid of small guys and Tezzeret, but it can't hit MoE or Champ. Ancient Grudge can hit a lot of artifacts, but it can't answer Tezzeret or Champ, nor a 5/5 Darksteel.

    EDIT: Sure, RUG can draw one specific answer at the right time, but I can overwhelm their demand for specific answers through redundancy. They can have Force of Will to counter Etched Champion. Cool, do they have another Force next turn when I cast my 2nd Champ? Another good thing going for Affinity is that RUG has no form of card advantage, unless you count Ancient Grudge. Affinity runs Thoughtcast to refill gas. As long as Affinity maintains a steady flow of pressure, RUG will inevitably run out of answers.
    I agree with you here. I normally find playing against RUG a chore but with Affinity we can just blow them out by reloading with Thoughtcast after they expend their hand on our threats, many of which they MUST counter or they lose. Force of Will 2-for-1íng them is great for us.

  19. #1359

    Re: [Deck] Affinity

    Quote Originally Posted by Ziveeman View Post
    Is that a 64 card MD or am I just miscounting? 28 creatures + 3 planeswalkers + 16 spells + 17 lands

    Regardless, grats on your finish.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawon View Post
    Good job on the 10-5! 140th is pretty decent when you take into account the attendance size being ~1700. You did Affinity proud.

    Your MD looks nice. I'm a fan of streamlined MDs for Affinity, without any of those nonsense 1 or 2-ofs that many subpar Affinity lists run. Ever since Drew Levin's Affinity introduction piece, I've started to agree that having 25 mana sources is the way to go if you want to reliably cast bombs such as Etched Champion or Tezz. For the last two weeks, all of my goldfish testing has been focused on determining which card should be my 25th mana source, and I was literally trying out a hundred games each testing either Glimmervoid, Lotus Petal or Paradise Mantle. I started trying out Glimmervoid when I noticed a lot of mulligan-able hands with Mantle in it, however, I just couldn't stand Glimmervoid due to the fact it became utterly useless when I hit my mana threshold. I just played in a 30-man local over the weekend with Paradise Mantle, and I didn't run into any mulligan problems, so I'll probably stick to playing Mantle, since I also play Stoneforge Mystic which can grab Mantle in uncommon situations.

    Do you have any insights to share regarding your wins/losses? What cards worked for you in the SB? What was your SB strategy against certain matchups; what cards did you take out and put in post-board?
    My mistake I quoted someone elses post to see how to format cards being that it was my first post on the forum. lol
    remove the 4 frogmite from the deck.

    I agree with the streamlined affinity list, I think that certain cards have proved to me to be very useless in the deck either from theorizing or from actual playtesting, such as tangle wire being almost unplayable because of how you want the deck to run.
    Drew Levine's article was very well thought out and solidified some of the ideas I had been bumping around with for quite some time.

    your opponents can counter your mantle and kill the creature that it becomes equip 2, despite the fact that the deck is low curve it still has to be very efficient with it's mana post board and also a little bit in the main. The only mana decision I have been mulling over is whether I should shave an ancient den for a great furnace to add an additional red source for SB whipflares

    as far as Side boarding is concerned anything with delver next to it I brought in 4x Chalice and -4 Pest, RUG delver I cut down on Memnite to bring in 2 RiP as well, towards the end of day 2 I began trying out whipflare as well to shave all memnites from the mainboard.

    against goblins (and in extension though I never faced it Death and Taxes) I bring in 2 Whipflare
    Jund I bring in Rest in Peace and cut memnites the best card in the matchup is champion the opponent literally cannot touch the card. cut memnites
    I side boarded incorrectly against Sam Black as in G1 I did not see noble hierarch only brainstorm and I think swords to plowshares so I only brought in 2 chalice and I also brought in RiP and Bridge after seeing True Name and KotR, Thankfully I only saw Chalice and was able to win the match swiftly 2-0 later that day I Sideboarded correctly and brought in 4 Chalice and whipflare cutting 4 pest and 2 memnite.

    Storm is -4 champion -3 Tezz -4 Signal Pest +4 Chalice +3 Canonist +3 Rip +1 Whippflare and that could even be 2 whipflare if it is TES since they traditionally win off of empty over tendrils

    GY based decks (Dredge, Loam, Pox) I just bring in 3 RiP and cut down on Memnites or Signal Pest. unless it is dredge then I cut Etched Champion

    Elves I bring in the same Package as storm but not RiP and 2 Whipflare, and some number of ensnaring bridge (I think I brought in 2 against it) they have 2G Vindicate that is repeatable though and I think that cursed totem is worth it if you expect a lot of elves but its a nonbo with ravager and that card won me a lot of games.

    Shardless bug I just bring in RiP, etched champion is king here just like jund but harder to make stick.

    Miracles is a scary matchup and you usually have to be on the play to have a chance in the older list I ran, chalice comes in here and so does ensnaring bridge because of the number of dead cards, etched champion comes out along with pest because the only have a few creatures + entreat so he's not really doing much work and all their dudes fly.

    Whipflare was awesome.

    Rest in Peace was a nice safety net and a card I love playing in affinity the other GY spells are not as good, though if you expect elves playing a 1 of grafdiggers is fine imo.

    I wish there was a better card than ethersworn cannonist in the SB, it is only good in 1 type of match up and even then its still not impressive, just another necessity.

    Chalice of the Void is above and beyond amazing, it turns off effectively half the format and allows you to play magic while your opponent dies. it requires some sequencing to make sure it goes well as well as reading your opponent to make sure you don't play it into soft counters (can't play around hard ones)

    Ensnaring Bridge was a last minute call in order to sure up the Sneak and Show Match-up it was the right call but I both A) only played S&S once and B) never drew it in that match up. it did allow for me to remove chaff cards for games 2 and 3 since they become useless in certain match ups (see etched champion and memnite)

    I do not think you can Maindeck chalice, you can't play it blind on 1 and you want to run as smoothly as possible in order to close it out early, Games 2 and 3 don't have to be as quick because the jig is up and you need to be able to play against what they have for you (which is awesome in legacy because it ain't much)

    people are terrified of ravager, if they can, they will counter it. It brings me back to sequencing, playing a ravager on turn 1 (either through the multiple dudes into ravager of opals and drums or just off of a tomb) or playing it before a plating or tezzeret. Playing it before other high impact spells is awesome because it lets you know what your opponent has. a lot of control players have a habit of speaking differently than non-control players, saying words like "resolves" instead of "ok" but that is not a causality and does not imply every one of them will speak the same, just read your opponent and try to surmise what they have in hand.

    I was able to successfully play ravagers into counter spells in order to ensure plating resolving, to be fair ravager is almost like plating 5-8 but it's worse merely because they can kill it.

    The best part about this deck is the amount of noticeable skill it takes to pilot correctly. this deck has infinity more under the hood than the surface would presume and I'm happy to have done moderately well with it.

    Hope that helps :)

    also, People were not in the mood to counter thoughtcast, whether they didn't want to or thought that the cards i drew after wards could be countered is beyond me, but 1 mana draw 2 is pretty damn good and I would counter it if I could.

  20. #1360
    Legacy Vagabond
    Shawon's Avatar
    Join Date

    Dec 2007
    Location

    Cheshire, CT
    Posts

    1,095

    Re: [Deck] Affinity

    Quote Originally Posted by F8iscruel View Post
    as far as Side boarding is concerned anything with delver next to it I brought in 4x Chalice and -4 Pest, RUG delver I cut down on Memnite to bring in 2 RiP as well, towards the end of day 2 I began trying out whipflare as well to shave all memnites from the mainboard.
    I don't particularly agree with cutting Memnites against tempo decks, seeing as how Memnite + Thopter indirectly count as part of your manabase, and I don't like the prospect of weakening your mana consistency against tempo decks. But I can see why you did it against RUG to reduce less dead draws, considering that's what I used to against RUG, so if it worked out for you in your two wins, then keep at it. I haven't tried cutting Memnites since Deed decks were in vogue, but I might revisit cutting mana/Kobolds as a sideboard strategy against grindier fair decks.

    Storm is -4 champion -3 Tezz -4 Signal Pest +4 Chalice +3 Canonist +3 Rip +1 Whippflare and that could even be 2 whipflare if it is TES since they traditionally win off of empty over tendrils
    How did your actual match against Storm go? I think adding Whipflare is overkill, because your whole game plan is to prevent Storm from going off, and you're only running a 2-of that's only useful in one game state where they take a gamble and ETW on turn 1. You're already removing a 10+ cards from your offense to hedge your Storm matchup, keep in mind you also need a way to win if you do happen to roadblock Storm.

    Miracles is a scary matchup and you usually have to be on the play to have a chance in the older list I ran, chalice comes in here and so does ensnaring bridge because of the number of dead cards, etched champion comes out along with pest because the only have a few creatures + entreat so he's not really doing much work and all their dudes fly.
    Why would you take out Etched Champions against Miracles? Your point on taking him out leads me to believe you think Etched Champion is used for defensive purposes, when in fact, he should be deployed as one of your scariest, must-counter threats.

    Rest in Peace was a nice safety net and a card I love playing in affinity the other GY spells are not as good, though if you expect elves playing a 1 of grafdiggers is fine imo.
    While Rest in Peace doesn't conflict with Chalice@1 like Relic/Cage would, I'm still skeptical as to how anyone could consider Rest in Peace to be an acceptable answer versus dedicated gy decks, as in Reanimator, not Loam. It's 1W, so you can't naturally cast it (let alone have backup against Daze effects) off of Ancient Tomb, and it's 2 mana, so if you plan on casting it turn 2, it might already be too late against Reanimator.


    I noticed in most of your matchups your sideboarding usually involves cutting Signal Pest. Why keeping running him if he's going to be a dead card in a lot of matchups? He dies in an embarassing fashion to Baleful Strix & Vendilion Clique, makes Jitte counters much more brutal, conflicts with your Chalice@1, makes RUG's Rough / Tumble more of a blowout... the list goes on. I came to this conclusion at the last minute before a GPT, and I cut the Pests for SFM + Batterskull (made top 4 btw). I haven't looked back since.

    Ensnaring Bridge was a last minute call in order to sure up the Sneak and Show Match-up it was the right call but I both A) only played S&S once and B) never drew it in that match up. it did allow for me to remove chaff cards for games 2 and 3 since they become useless in certain match ups (see etched champion and memnite)
    Ensnaring Bridge seems like a good idea. I've always known about it, but I never bit the bullet and tried it against Sneak-Show because I thought it was too narrow against one matchup, but it's something I might consider testing against Elves. You are right that Elves can answer Bridge with Viridian Shaman, but Ensnaring Bridge does some time and could allow for a strategy of just sitting on Bridge and trying to drain your opponent with Tezz's ultimate.

    I do not think you can Maindeck chalice, you can't play it blind on 1 and you want to run as smoothly as possible in order to close it out early, Games 2 and 3 don't have to be as quick because the jig is up and you need to be able to play against what they have for you (which is awesome in legacy because it ain't much)
    I think MDing 'tech' cards like Chalice/Revoker/Canonist is a short-sighted decision. Sure, it may randomly steal game 1s from combo, but you might also lose winnable games against fair decks that could've been won if you just went all the way aggro.

    The best part about this deck is the amount of noticeable skill it takes to pilot correctly. this deck has infinity more under the hood than the surface would presume and I'm happy to have done moderately well with it.
    I definitely agree. Keep on playing Affinity!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)