Page 83 of 88 FirstFirst ... 3373798081828384858687 ... LastLast
Results 1,641 to 1,660 of 1742

Thread: [Deck] Affinity

Oct 2013
    Russia, Moscow

Re: [Deck] Affinity

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Affinity doesn't want to go long, you want to close the game before your opponent gets going.
    This build has all fast kill pack as "classic" agro build.
    Plus another angles to kill with day+vise and disrupt with erayo+canonist.

Bear Cub > Tarmogoyf

Jul 2007

Erayo+Canonist is fundamentally a control deck strategy thrown into an aggro deck. I think the idea would be to optimize your aggro deck instead of diluting it with alternate maindeck victory conditions. It's like saying "Hey, Helm of Awakening and Rest in Peace is a neat two-card combo that also disrupts the opponent and also makes use of Artifacts. Let's throw it in!"
    Most people blindly suggest new cards for decks. True contributors also suggest what to remove. It's not about what's good, but rather what's better than the current selections.

We know have access to 8 7draws cards with this new command magus + day's undoing. Playing pithing needle maindeck might be a very good idea stopping top against miracle
    and wasteland against tempo. This build does crush miracle. There might be a way to improve it though. But I like where it goes chalice breaks the draw 7 here.

4 Ancient Tomb
    4 Mox Opal
    4 Seat of the Synod
    4 Glimmervoid
    4 Great Furnace

4 Springleaf Drum
    4 Memnite
    4 Ornithopter

4 Day's Undoing
    4 Magus of the wheel

4 Master of Etherium
    4 Cranial Plating

4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Pithing Needle
    4 Phyrexian Revoker

Quote Originally Posted by adrieng View Post
    We know have access to 8 7draws cards with this new command magus + day's undoing. Playing pithing needle maindeck might be a very good idea stopping top against miracle
    and wasteland against tempo. This build does crush miracle. There might be a way to improve it though. But I like where it goes chalice breaks the draw 7 here.

4 Ancient Tomb
    4 Mox Opal
    4 Seat of the Synod
    4 Glimmervoid
    4 Great Furnace

4 Springleaf Drum
    4 Memnite
    4 Ornithopter

4 Day's Undoing
    4 Magus of the wheel

4 Master of Etherium
    4 Cranial Plating

4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Pithing Needle
    4 Phyrexian Revoker

I can see what you're doing here, but I don't like your draw options at all. Both of them help your opponent way too much. Just imagine them against a Dredge player? You just handed them the game on a plate. It would also help Storm and most combo decks incredibly too. For me, you want the draw to be one-sided, and useful on the turn you play it.
    Thoughtcast may feel limited, but it's a better choice than Magus easily. I wouldn't play Days in this deck unless you're running a heap of counter that you can use after you just ended your turn.

I understand you're looking for a different vibe here from the norm, but is 4 CHalice, 4 Revoker & 4 Needle really that useful?
    I mean, Needle isn't going to be useful in every matchup, same goes for Revoker. They feel more like sideboard options to me.

Removal is important if you're not running counter. I'd consider your plan B if your opponent gets past all the revoker/chalice/invoker or just simply kills your threats (of which there are few)
    This is why I like Tezz, as any of your pieces are now a threat potentially, and I play with Stoneforge to grab Plating/Jitte etc.

Im building a U/B Affinity deck, and was a little bummed to see this thread hasnt been touched in months. Im tinkering with Dark Confidant and ponder at the moment. My build has Black Vise and Days Undoing as well. I have two Thoughtcast, but figured I would mess around with Ponder to either shuffle away an incoming three dead cards, or to set up Dark Confidant.

I'll post a list later, but is anyone playing Affinity right now?

Bear Cub > Tarmogoyf

Jul 2007

I think it's like my pet decks of The Gate, Zoo, and Countersliver. Perfectly serviceable in less competitive settings, but highly unlikely to do well at large events. You'll dominate many a kitchen table with such decks though.
    Most people blindly suggest new cards for decks. True contributors also suggest what to remove. It's not about what's good, but rather what's better than the current selections.

I play RG Lands as my tier one, but I feel like Affinity has the potential, as you said, you take down smaller events, depending on the field.

Bear Cub > Tarmogoyf

Jul 2007

I think that answers your question re: people playing it though: they're out there. Countersliver and Zoo have seen some recent activity as people try new things, and the same can happen here too. If you have new designs that are working out for you, by all means post about them! Hopefully others will be drawn out of lurking to pitch in.

I only play Affinity in pauper, so I don't have any useful input. I'm basically subscribed just to see what people come up with.

Recent posts have the deck drawing a lot of cards: Bob, Undoing, Wheel, Thoughtcast, etc. Is there ever too much library manipulation and not enough muscle? Or is the point to discuss which options make the most sense?

Emptying the Warrens

Nov 2012

Why not just play Black vise? Gives the deck reach that it desperately needs IMO.
    Emptying the Warrens: So YOU don't have to!

My build has four vises and right now, two days undoing. Might go to one.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/legac...ty-01-06-13-2/

Does well, wanted a t3-4 tezz, had a t2 once but I want more aggro as its very glass cannon atm.

I should get another glimmervoid but never had the need really.

Curious question.

Glimmervoid is the land to use but would like to know if thran quarry will work?

I'd like to add a 3rd void but I'm not spending 20$ for a land I can only use in affinity and I just need one more and I have a dozen of these.

Or should I just add another seat? List is one post up.

Emptying the Warrens

Nov 2012

Has anyone else thought of taking from the modern playbook and maindecking giraphur aether grid? Don't know how good it is, but it should allow us to dominate the skies in theory, especially if DnT picks up the 3 drop recruiter ^_^

In my area, some people use Serenity, so I haven't been playing Affinity for a while. Affinity = Glass-cannon IME.
    The last time I took out Affinity I was running a small number Cabal Therapy in the main, but that was a while ago.
    If I was going to play Afifnity anytime soon, I'd strongly consider some Abrupt Decay from the side

Quote Originally Posted by Sidneyious View Post
    Curious question.
    Glimmervoid is the land to use but would like to know if thran quarry will work?
    Never used Glimmervoid myself, always run 4 Drums, 4 Opals.
    Thran Quarry has the same problem as Glimmer. I don't like losing my manabase so easily in a format where Terminus and other mass-removal is so prevalent.

I think you might be getting greedy trying to run 4x Master, 4x Etched & 3 Tezz. Your deck will lack the speed to win against faster decks, that a tighter list will, especially with so few mana sources. Signal Pest was never much good when I used to play it.
    I used to run 4 Etched, 1 Master from memory (getting UU in this deck isn't always easy) and 3 Tezz (Tezz & Cranial on Etched are main finishers)

Another option you might try is Disciple of the Vault with Arcbound Ravager, but I prefer Tezz ultimate.

Another option for sideboard (one I also used to run) is Ethersworn Canonist, a very good card to run against combo/storm.
    Quote Originally Posted by monovfox View Post
    Has anyone else thought of taking from the modern playbook and maindecking girapur aether grid? Don't know how good it is, but it should allow us to dominate the skies in theory, especially if DnT picks up the 3 drop recruiter ^_^
    Ghirapur Ęther Grid
    I guess you could tap out everything you have to kill one or two creatures here or there. I dunno, doesn't sound like something I would run.

Emptying the Warrens

Nov 2012

Aether grid also makes your lands tap for damage, which against miracles is pretty amazing by itself

Has anyone played Affinity recently?

What are the reasons that Affinity hasn't been competitive anymore in the last years?

Terminus is clearly one of them.
    Another one is the inability to deal with opposing threats like Goyf, Gurmag Angler, Jitte, Batterskull etc.
    I think that Daretti, Ingenious Iconoclast is one of the necessary changes to make Affinity viable again.
    It repeatedly gets rid of creatures and artifacts and is hard to get rid of for Miracles.
    It can frequently be dropped on turn and must be answered by every non-combo deck.
    I see it as a 3 or 4 of in any future list.

Legacy Vagabond
    Dec 2007
    Cheshire, CT

Honestly, the easiest explanation why the deck isn't viable is that it's just too slow for this format, Legacy. If you're not killing the opponent with Inkmoth Nexus, the deck cannot deal 20 or more damage by turn 3 consistently enough. The reason the Affinity archetype does well in Modern is because the rest of the format is 1-2 turns slower such that Affinity can pack disruption post-board and still threaten a decent clock for that format.

Also, against the spectrum of combo decks, Affinity doesn't seem to do that well against them because when it tries to be disruptive to stop the combo deck from killing them its disruption package isn't enough, and when the combo deck is slowed down by disruption, the Affinity deck can't win in time before the combo deck gets out of any hard place.

And frankly, there are two decks that are just flat-out better at killing the opponent faster while being disruptive pre-board: Eldrazi Aggro and Infect.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawon View Post
    Honestly, the easiest explanation why the deck isn't viable is that it's just too slow for this format, Legacy.
    SPOILER
    I don't think this card will actually change anything, but Underhanded Designs might be useful in some Affinity builds?
    It's the first new spoiled card that made me think of this deck anyway.

Nov 2007
    Finland

Quote Originally Posted by slave View Post
    SPOILER
    I don't think this card will actually change anything, but Underhanded Designs might be useful in some Affinity builds?
    It's the first new spoiled card that made me think of this deck anyway.
    If you want to start a discussion about a card that nobody knows, the least you could do is to tell us what the card does.
    Some of my friends sell records,
    some of my friends sell drugs.

Emptying the Warrens

Nov 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Hopo View Post
    If you want to start a discussion about a card that nobody knows, the least you could do is to tell us what the card does.
    It doesn't do anything? Wait, no, it does nothing.

Thread Information