Thread: Future Sight

Jul 2007
    Enfield, CT

Future Sight

I have a couple of rules questions regarding Future Sight. As far as I know, the top card of your library is revealed at all times except when shuffling or looking at the top cards of one's library (like using SDT). I was just wondering if there was an official ruling of exactly when its is revealed during certain effects.

For example, I was told that with Future Sight out and you play Ad Nauseam, you will know the top card before each time you choose to repeat the draw. So you will know how much life you are going to lose. Is this true?

Also, during a Brainstorm, since it says draw 3 cards, would the opponent see all 3 of them? Would they get to see the 4th card down while you are deciding what to put back? Will they get to see each card you put back?

How about Impulse?
    Still looking for FBB Lightning Bolts. German or Korean is preferred. PM me if you have them

Quote Originally Posted by Slay View Post
    Drunk texting is ballin'. Anyone can slur into a phone, but it takes a real man to fumble over tiny buttons to make a semi-coherent message and send it to someone.
    -Slay

Re: Future Sight

There are only two rules about revealing the top card of your library, 217.2f (formerly 217.2e) and the new 217.2g.

217.2f. Some effects tell a player to play with the top card of his or her library revealed. If the top card of the player's library changes while a spell or ability is being played, the new top card won't be revealed until the spell or ability becomes played (see rule 409.1i).
    217.2e & 217.2f
    These rules are being swapped, so the new 217.2f can be close to the new and related 217.2g.

217.2g
    This new rule will state that if a player is playing with the top card of his or her library revealed, and that card stops being revealed for any length of time before being revealed again, it's treated as a new object. "Any length of time" includes instances as short as shuffling your library (during which time no card is revealed) or rearranging the top few cards of your library (ditto).
    The rest you can figure out once you know that Future Sight will always update whenever it gets a chance. The only time it can't update is when time doesn't exist (as far as the game is concerned), which is during single actions.

Drawing cards is unique, because a multiple card draw will always actually be broken up into multiple single card draws.

Ad Nauseam, yes. Anything that repeats is going to be at least one action per repetition, and Ad Nauseam has two - reveal/put and lose life.

Ad Nauseam 3BB
    Instant
    Reveal the top card of your library and put that card into your hand. You lose life equal to its converted mana cost. You may repeat this process any number of times.
    Brainstorm yes on each draw, no on putting each card back. Putting the two cards back is a single action. Each draw becomes one action, as above.

Brainstorm U
    Instant
    Draw three cards, then put two cards from your hand on top of your library in any order.
    Impulse you didn't ask a question, but since it's "look", only the top card is revealed while you're looking, and then the fifth card down would be the next revealed because "Put one of them into your hand and the rest on the bottom of your library." is one action. Your opponent doesn't have to know what card you take, even if it's the revealed card - while you're moving cards you can temporarily hide the revealed card even though it's technically revealed.

Impulse 1U
    Instant
    Look at the top four cards of your library. Put one of them into your hand and the rest on the bottom of your library.
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.
    -David DeLaney

Thread Information