Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Must-Know for Chicago?

Jun 2004
    Madison, WI

Re: Must-Know for Chicago?

Quote Originally Posted by rockout View Post
    How can you play/write about legacy and think painter combo won't show up to a huge tournament?
    How can you post something like that and not bother to actually RTFT (read the fucking thread)? He said that he expects it to show, but not to be enough of a force to make the short list of interactions that the judges need to be briefed on.

The idea is as follows, for those people who seem to have reading comprehension issues:

Most judges don't judge Legacy regularly. They judge Standard, maybe Extended, but not Legacy. Kevin is putting together a 2-3 page list of interactions that will come up frequently over the course of the day. Interactions that come up infrequently can be handled the old-fashioned way, i.e. the judge looks up the oracle text on the cards in question and reads the pertinent rules. This is just for a quick reference guide to common issues
    Last edited by cdr; 03-04-2009 at 02:45 PM. Reason: bold is like cruise control for cool
    Quote Originally Posted by Draener View Post
    You know who thinks it's sweet to play against 8 different decks in an 8 round tournament? People who don't like to win, or people that play combo. This is not EDH; Legacy is a competitive environment, and it should reward skill - more so than it does.
    Quote Originally Posted by Borealis View Post
    Plow their Mom every chance you get!

I like Tacos.
    Jan 2006
    Traverse City, MI

Either way, I hope that if I need to call someone, I get you, Anusien.

I have some confusing interactions in just my own deck, much less counting whatever the opponent will have. I know I'm going to see the judge a lot.

RawR Bitch
    Sep 2007
    Norwich, CT

Quote Originally Posted by Anusien View Post
    You realize I'm on staff for Chicago, right?

Is Painter's Servant actually going to be relevant for Chicago? There are a lot of bizarre rulings for it, but I'm not sure if it's going to show up in force enough to be worth mentioning.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpikeyMikey View Post
    How can you post something like that and not bother to actually RTFT (read the fucking thread)? He said that he expects it to show, but not to be enough of a force to make the short list of interactions that the judges need to be briefed on.

The idea is as follows, for those people who seem to have reading comprehension issues:

Most judges don't judge Legacy regularly. They judge Standard, maybe Extended, but not Legacy. Kevin is putting together a 2-3 page list of interactions that will come up frequently over the course of the day. Interactions that come up infrequently can be handled the old-fashioned way, i.e. the judge looks up the oracle text on the cards in question and reads the pertinent rules. This is just for a quick reference guide to common issues
    Hmmm, seems to me like he discredited the popularity of painter in that post I linked. Bolds are only for cool people apparently.
    Co-Founder of Team Awesome - I heard Randy Buehler say a while back that good players give themselves the most number of turns to find the answer.
    The Source on MTGO - Predator8785 and RockOut
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    Women come and go, turn one protection is forever.

It's pretty safe to assume that a lot of the people that were playing Counter-Top Painter or Survival Painter will probably switch to Natural Order Thresh or Natural Order Survival.
    Magic Level 3 Judge
    Southern USA Regional Coordinator

Quote Originally Posted by frogboy View Post
    Battle with a ragtag crew of adorable misfits. Narcomoeba and Golgari Thug hook up before the end of the movie.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihil Credo View Post
    Please be less rambling in your next post. I only bothered with figuring out what the fuck you were trying to ask because I took it as a challenge.

RawR Bitch
    Sep 2007
    Norwich, CT

Quote Originally Posted by Anusien View Post
    It's pretty safe to assume that a lot of the people that were playing Counter-Top Painter or Survival Painter will probably switch to Natural Order Thresh or Natural Order Survival.
    Good point.
    Co-Founder of Team Awesome - I heard Randy Buehler say a while back that good players give themselves the most number of turns to find the answer.
    The Source on MTGO - Predator8785 and RockOut
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    Women come and go, turn one protection is forever.

Shake that.
    Mar 2008
    Amsterdam

I believe this is Nightmare's article.

Here's a little fragment from his article I believe to be wrong:

- The handling of characteristic-setting abilities in out-of-play zones has recently been changed. In Legacy, the most relevant example of this is centered on Tarmogoyf. Regardless of the zone Goyf is in, it retains the values for its power and toughness. Should there be 4 card types in the graveyard, every Tarmogoyf will be a 4/5, no matter what zone the card is in. If you remove four Tarmogoyfs from the game with Sutured Ghoul (and no other creatures), and your opponent activates Relic of Progenitus, the Goyfs track their power and toughness, and would become 0/1’s. This would effectively kill the Sutured Ghoul. Once the Ghoul dies, the Goyfs return to at least 1/2’s. It’s kind of a bad rap for the Ghoul.
    In this case, Sutured Ghoul's toughness would be the combined toughness of the Tarmogoyfs, so the Sutured Ghoul won't die, being a 0/4. So any Tarmogoyfs in play will stay 0/1.
    If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck, it's probably delicious.
    Team ADHD-To resist is to piss in the wind. Anyone who does will end up smelling.

V V SEXY! V V
    Feb 2004
    NOVA!

Quote Originally Posted by Skeggi View Post

In this case, Sutured Ghoul's toughness would be the combined toughness of the Tarmogoyfs, so the Sutured Ghoul won't die, being a 0/4. So any Tarmogoyfs in play will stay 0/1.
    Ya nightmare is definitly wrong there, for the reason you stated. I wonder if he can go and edit his article?

*/*
    Dec 2004
    Syracuse, NY

Quote Originally Posted by Skeggi View Post

Yeah, I was incorrect. I didn't bother to look at the card - I assumed it's p/t were equal to the power of the creature, not the independent characteristics. Whoops.

And no, I can't edit the article. And Craig (my editor) won't either, as he's proven many times.

I thought you meant being 0/4 "effectively" killed it, so it's not that bad. You can pretend you weren't wrong.
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.
    -David DeLaney

V V SEXY! V V
    Feb 2004
    NOVA!

Quote Originally Posted by cdr View Post
    I thought you meant being 0/4 "effectively" killed it, so it's not that bad. You can pretend you weren't wrong.
    This would effectively kill the Sutured Ghoul. Once the Ghoul dies, the Goyfs return to at least 1/2’s.
    Well that would totally work for the way the first line is worded. However that second line just kills any chance of him playing it off. Expliciltly saying the ghoul goes into the yard and pumps the goyfs.

Nah, it doesn't totally kill it. It could mean once the Ghoul dies some other way (not from being 0/0).
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.
    -David DeLaney

Team Lucksack - Founder
    Oct 2007
    Columbus, Ohio

you could pretend you implied that your opponent was about to target your sutured ghoul with a dwarven/merfolk thurmatugest... or an about face with a planar void/opposing LLOTV in play.
    Phasing is absurdly complicated. Did you know that if a token phases out with Equipment attached to it, the Equipment phases out, the token will cease to exist and the Equipment will never phase back in?

Well, now you do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Media314r8 View Post
    "Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a night. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

Thread Information