Thread: Morphling & Academy Rector + Aura

Is not Goyf
    Jan 2005
    California

Morphling & Academy Rector + Aura

I don't quite remember the interaction so I thought I'd ask the Source community.

Example I:
    If I remember correctly, suppose your opponent controls a Morphling. You have an Academy Rector in play. Somehow you get the Rector the hit the bin. You search your deck for a Confiscate. Here's what I'm confused about. If I remember correctly, regardless of whether or not the Morphling had shroud, the Rector can search up the Confiscate and steal the Morphling. Is this because you "put" the card in to play?

Example II:
    Say my Rector died and I wanted to search up an Aura and put it in to play enchanting a creature I control. The opponent knows this. When is the optimal time for the opponent to respond? Can the opponent respond to the Aura attaching to the creature from the Rector trigger? Or Would they have to destroy the creature I would attempt to enchant preemptively?

Thanks for the help in advance!
    -Tog

Re: Morphling & Academy Rector + Aura

im not sure about example 1, but for example 2, i believe your opponent will have to get rid of your creature before you start searching, because the search and put into play will all appen at the same time, with no chance to respond in between.

Heavy Metal Pirate

May 2006
    Germany

I: Auras only target as a spell on the stack, if you put them into play by some other means, shroud doesn't matter.
    II: When the Rector trigger resolves, no one gets priority until it is finished resolving, and part of putting an aura into play is attaching it to something it can be atteched to. So if your opponent wants to do something before a creature is enchanted, he would have to respond to the trigger. Of course you can then proceed to enchant some other creature than you originally planned, or fetch some completely different enchantment (Animate Dead for example?)
    Sneaky Pirates of Doom - We don't even need a clever catchphrase to be awesome!

Team SPoD World Raiding Tour - coming to raiding a legacy Duel Commander event near you..when you least expect it!

Quote Originally Posted by Locutus View Post
    I: Auras only target as a spell on the stack, if you put them into play by some other means, shroud doesn't matter.
    so in a "put into play" situation with an aura, when do you target the creature?

Dan
    Sep 2008
    NoVA

You don't. You just choose a creature it could enchant.

The specimen seems to be broken.
    Dec 2008
    Sweden

Does this mean that I can Confiscate something with protection blue? Or is it not a legal target?
    "Think of all we could learn from it! It's the chance of a lifetime! You must let me have it! It's a magnificent specimen!"

Scandinavian Master Legacy 2010

World champion 93/94 2013

The specimen seems to be broken.
    Dec 2008
    Sweden

Ah, so it's really no point enchanting a Progenitus with a Confiscate then?
    "Think of all we could learn from it! It's the chance of a lifetime! You must let me have it! It's a magnificent specimen!"

Scandinavian Master Legacy 2010

World champion 93/94 2013

Quote Originally Posted by DeathScythe View Post
    Yes you can put a confiscate on a progenitus using this method. However, protection also makes sure it can't be enchanted by <insert source here> so the confiscate will be removed the next time SBE are checked.
    Right, but things like Oubliette, Oblivion Ring, Reality Acid, and Parallax Dementia, should work.

Here I Rule!!!!!!!!!!
    Oct 2008
    Minneapolis MN

Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    Right, but things like Oubliette, Oblivion Ring, Reality Acid, and Parallax Dementia, should work.
    Wait, this only refers to putting an O ring into play by means other than casting it right?

You can't just cast O ring to stop Progenitus, can you?

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Ignition View Post
    Wait, this only refers to putting an O ring into play by means other than casting it right?

You can't just cast O ring to stop Progenitus, can you?
    Right.

Shake that.
    Mar 2008
    Amsterdam

Does an O-Ring even work when it's 'put into play' on Progenitus? As far as I know O-Ring triggers a 'when comes into play'-ability and this ability can be countered upon resolution? As far as I know Oblivion Ring can't be 'Academy Rectored' on a Progenitus.

Edit: Oubliette also has a CIP-trigger. I guess this doesn't work either.
    Last edited by Skeggi; 03-02-2009 at 09:13 AM. Reason: I forgot Oubliette...well, what do you expect with that name ;)
    If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck, it's probably delicious.
    Team ADHD-To resist is to piss in the wind. Anyone who does will end up smelling.

Heavy Metal Pirate

May 2006
    Germany

Quote Originally Posted by CompRules
    212.4j If an Aura is coming into play under a player's control by any means other than by being played, and the effect putting it into play doesn't specify the object or player the Aura will enchant, that player chooses what it will enchant as the Aura comes into play. The player must choose a legal object or player according to the Aura's enchant ability and any other applicable effects.
    502.7c A permanent or player with protection can't be enchanted by Auras that have the stated quality.
    You can't put any aura into play atteched to something that has protection from that aura, because that permanent is not a legal object to enchant.
    Also, Skeggi is right that O-Ring and Oubliette have CiP-Triggers that always target when they come into play. Neither of them has the aura subtype.
    Sneaky Pirates of Doom - We don't even need a clever catchphrase to be awesome!

Team SPoD World Raiding Tour - coming to raiding a legacy Duel Commander event near you..when you least expect it!

Putting Auras into play instead of playing them gets around Shroud, not Protection.
    Magic Level 3 Judge
    Southern USA Regional Coordinator

Quote Originally Posted by frogboy View Post
    Battle with a ragtag crew of adorable misfits. Narcomoeba and Golgari Thug hook up before the end of the movie.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihil Credo View Post
    Please be less rambling in your next post. I only bothered with figuring out what the fuck you were trying to ask because I took it as a challenge.

Thread Information