Thread: Trinisphere + shattering spree

Hybrid View

Trinisphere + shattering spree

Hello, my question is this:

I have a tinisphere in play + another 2 artifacts, and my oponent has 3 mountains. He plays a shattering spree and replicates 2 times with the only cost of 3 mana. Wouldn't have cost 3 the first and 1 the copies? I don't know if I'm wrong or if he is wrong.

Thank you.

Heavy Metal Pirate

May 2006
    Germany

Re: Trinisphere + shattering spree

No, Replicate is an additional cost, and if you announce you are replicating Shattering Spree 2 times, it will cost a total of RRR, which is not less than three mana you are paying to play the spell, so 3sphere doesn't care. Then, when the spell becomes played, replicate will trigger, and as the trigger resolves it will create 2 copies.
    Sneaky Pirates of Doom - We don't even need a clever catchphrase to be awesome!

Team SPoD World Raiding Tour - coming to raiding a legacy Duel Commander event near you..when you least expect it!

Heavy Metal Pirate

May 2006
    Germany

Re: Trinisphere + shattering spree

Quote Originally Posted by CompRules
    502.52a Replicate is a keyword that represents two abilities. The first is a static ability that functions while the spell is on the stack. The second is a triggered ability that functions while the spell is on the stack. "Replicate [cost]" means "As an additional cost to play this spell, you may pay [cost] any number of times" and "When you play this spell, if a replicate cost was paid for it, copy it for each time its replicate cost was paid. If the spell has any targets, you may choose new targets for any number of the copies." Paying a spell's replicate cost follows the rules for paying additional costs in rules 409.1b and 409.1f-h.
    So yes, it is part of the costs payed to play the spell.
    Sneaky Pirates of Doom - We don't even need a clever catchphrase to be awesome!

Team SPoD World Raiding Tour - coming to raiding a legacy Duel Commander event near you..when you least expect it!

Thread Information