Thread: Brainstorm & Dredge

is selling his Underground Seas.
    May 2006
    Birmingham, AL

Brainstorm & Dredge

Alright, I'm officially too sleepy to discern how this works from the rulebook. Somebody help me out.

Just as a sample scenario, say, I've got a Brainstorm in hand with an Underground Sea in play and no other lands/mana sources available to me. In my graveyard is a Life From The Loam and a Fetchland. My goal is to get a Loam engine online. I cast Brainstorm.

Since each draw in dredge is treated as a separate draw, can I draw the first card off Brainstorm as normal, then base my decision on whether or not to Dredge the Loam based on what the first card I drew was?

In the actual case, the first card I hit off the Brainstorm was a Tropical Island, and I want to know if I can Dredge the Loam for the second draw. I'm fairly sure I can, but my brain's in a fog tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by majikal View Post
    Damn it, Taco, that exactly sums up my opinion on the matter. I need to buy you a beer for that post.

I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God
    Mar 2007
    59°50'59.11" N, 17°34'55.69" E

Re: Brainstorm & Dredge

Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape View Post
    Since each draw in dredge is treated as a separate draw, can I draw the first card off Brainstorm as normal, then base my decision on whether or not to Dredge the Loam based on what the first card I drew was?
    Yes. You choose whether to replace the draw or not as the draw happens, no need to do it beforehand.

Trivia: an infamous bug of Magic Online was (is?) the inability to do what you just described - you had to pick whether 0, 1, 2, or 3 of the draws would be replaced.
    YOU'RE GIVING ME A TIME MACHINE IN ORDER TO TREAT MY SLEEP DISORDER.

That's a fundamental thing about Dredge. Dredge is a replacement ability and each draw is treated as an individual event, so you do choose whether to dredge with each draw.

This is what makes Dredge.dec work - dredging cards dredged from previous draws of a multiple-draw effect.
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.
    -David DeLaney

is selling his Underground Seas.
    May 2006
    Birmingham, AL

That's sort of what I thought. Much obliged. I wonder why I'm not running Brainstorm in Ichorid, for that matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Nihil View Post
    Trivia: an infamous bug of Magic Online was (is?) the inability to do what you just described - you had to pick whether 0, 1, 2, or 3 of the draws would be replaced.
    That's interesting. I totally just envisioned a rainbow going behind your head with "The More You Know" on the screen.

Quote Originally Posted by majikal View Post
    Damn it, Taco, that exactly sums up my opinion on the matter. I need to buy you a beer for that post.

Oct 2005
    Germany - NRW

Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape View Post
    That's sort of what I thought. Much obliged. I wonder why I'm not running Brainstorm in Ichorid, for that matter.

That's interesting. I totally just envisioned a rainbow going behind your head with "The More You Know" on the screen.
    Because you dont discard cards and even put them back on top? ;)
    Team aYb
    Selling my Japanese Legacy Collection. PM me what you need ;)
    My mcm-account. Selling overseas

Nov 2006
    Nijmegen, The Netherlands

Quote Originally Posted by Windux View Post
    Because you dont discard cards and even put them back on top? ;)
    Which is actually quite awesome. It gives you the option to put Narcomoeba's and the dredgers you got into your hand from dredging back on top so you can dredge them next turn.
    "Part of me belives that Barrin taught me meditation simply to shut me up."

-Ertai, wizard adept

http://solidarityprimer.proboards85.com/index.cgi

Another questions:

I have a GGT in my yard and a Putrid imp in Play!
    (no other relevant cards in yard and hand )
    Then i activate my cephalid coliseum! So i choos to dredge my GGT but i dont run into another dredger and i think i could not discard the GGT to the IMP so a sadly I have to draw the other 2 cards, then discard it...

Does dredge (replacement effects) use the stack so i could discard GGT?

And if not, is there another way that i could discard my GGT to my Imp maby whene i dredge a narcomoeba which gives me a trigger and a chance to do stuff. But thene again in does the nacromeaba trigger befor or after GGT is in my hand?

Omg dredge + more draws is so confusing...
    “Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Site Contributor
    Dec 2004
    Jamaica Plain, MA

Quote Originally Posted by HdH_Cthulhu View Post
    Another questions:

I have a GGT in my yard and a Putrid imp in Play!
    (no other relevant cards in yard and hand )
    Then i activate my cephalid coliseum! So i choos to dredge my GGT but i dont run into another dredger and i think i could not discard the GGT to the IMP so a sadly I have to draw the other 2 cards, then discard it...

Does dredge (replacement effects) use the stack so i could discard GGT?

And if not, is there another way that i could discard my GGT to my Imp maby whene i dredge a narcomoeba which gives me a trigger and a chance to do stuff. But thene again in does the nacromeaba trigger befor or after GGT is in my hand?

Omg dredge + more draws is so confusing...
    Unfortunately, there's no way to do what you want to do. You activate the Colliseum, and as that resolves, you draw cards. While the Colliseum's ability is resolving, no one gains priority. The Narcomoebas trigger during the resolution of Colliseum's ability, but those triggers do not go on the stack until after the Colliseum finishes resolving (i.e. you finish drawing 3 cards and then discarding 3 cards.) You can choose whether or not to dredge for each draw, but you can't do anything else until it's finished resolving.

Sep 2008
    26°45'36.59"N, 80°03'05.52"W

So if I play Brainstorm with LFTL in my gy I could do the following:

1. Draw a card.
    2. Draw another card.
    3. Dredge 3 (put 3 cards from the top of my library into my gy) to return LFTL to my hand.
    4. Place two cards from my hand on top of my library.

1. Dredge 3 to return LFTL to my hand.
    2. Draw a card.
    3. Draw a card.

etc.

?

Some Random Guy Playing Random decks Getting Random Results
    Aug 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Aethan View Post
    So if I play Brainstorm with LFTL in my gy I could do the following:

1. Draw a card.
    2. Draw another card.
    3. Dredge 3 (put 3 cards from the top of my library into my gy) to return LFTL to my hand.

1. Dredge 3 to return LFTL to my hand.
    2. Draw a card.
    3. Draw a card.

etc.

?

You are correct Sir.
    Level 1 DCI Judge

Thread Information