Thread: [Minor Report] Top 64 GP: Chicago with Dreadstill

?
    Dec 2003
    High stakes cash games

[Minor Report] Top 64 GP: Chicago with Dreadstill

So I was pretty sure I wanted to play dreadstill at Chicago so I asked ELD for his list and this is what I got

2 Volcanic Island
    3 Tropical Island
    3 Island
    3 Flooded Stand
    3 Polluted Delta
    3 Wasteland
    4 Mishra's Factory

4 Tarmogoyf
    3 Phyrexian Dreadnought
    2 Trinket Mage

4 Force of Will
    3 Spell Snare
    1 Daze
    4 Stifle
    1 Trickbind
    4 Brainstorm

4 Counterbalance
    4 Standstill
    3 Sensei's Divining Top
    2 Engineered Explosives

Sideboard:
    2 BEB
    2 Relic of Progeitus
    1 Tormods Cypt
    3 REB
    3 Firespout
    2 Pithing Needle
    2 Ancient Grudge

Round 1 Bye

Round 2 Goblins

Game 1:
    He is on the play. I keep a decent hand on the draw with CB/Top 3 lands Brainstorm and Tarmogoyf. He opens turn 1 lackey and when my turn 2 tarmogoyf is warren weirdinged I have lost the game.

Game 2:
    I don't remember too much about this game but what I do remember is him resolving bloodmoon while I have 1 island and 7 nonbasics but am able to firespout a couple of times to keep him at bay while top eventually finds me a stifle to complement the dreadnought in my hand.

Game 3: My opener is like Stifle Stifle Dreadnought land land whocaresx2. I lead to a nonbasic to bait a wasteland which gets stifled and then drop dreadnought. one of my lands is a factory to stop his turn 3 weirding.

2-0
    Round 3: Aggroloam

Game 1: I remember drawing like over 8 land with less than 5 spells and losing brutally.

Game 2: I play a long drawnout game which starts with me opting to play standstill over dreadnought turn 2 because I read him for having K grip (which he did). Eventually he casts a terravore and a loam which I spell snare and follow by using relic to shut down his board. Later in the game I relic to remove wurm harvest and kill another terravore and slow beats get there.

Game 3: I keep a solid hand with x2 cb and top along with 3 land and stifle. I end up stifling his turn 1 fetch and wasting his second land before dropping cb top and get another small beats win.

3-0

Round 4: Dredge

Game 1:
    I win the role and double mulligan to a weak hand he only sees island as I get mauled by zombies

Game 2:
    This game was an easy win when he double mulled and I counter his relevent spells and attack with tarmogoyfs

Game 3:
    I double mull and keep a hand that is: factory, top, dreadnought, Reb, and trinket mage. He has a slow hand which he casts some p imps and a narcamoeba my top gets me everything I need and I crypt him the only time he starts going and drop a turn 4 dreadnought that takes it down.

4-0

IM GOING TO BED I WILL EDIT MORE IN LATER.
    Team NeverWin: We just top 8 a lot.

Too lazy to post.

Re: [Minor Report] Top 64 GP: Chicago with Dreadstill

Y'know, you can, like, PM yourself stuff. So you don't have to post it incomplete.

Also, good job...

...so far....
    The E.P.I.C. Syndicate: I mean, if they play a lullaby for babies they should at least play the Monster Mash when somebody dies.
    Quote Originally Posted by herbig View Post
    If I see you in NY/I'll send you an invite/You gon' need a pass/That's the code that we live by.

?
    Dec 2003
    High stakes cash games

Round 5: NLU/gw (Korey)

We start talking before the match and he tells me he had 3 byes on total rating and that he top32ed GP:LA. I know it is going to be a tough match but I'm confident in my deck.

Sadly I don't remember too much about our games except we had a lot of wars of attrition and I get a huge tempo boost as he is playing around daze all match. What I do remember is I played really well all match and took it down in game 3 with a strong hand.

5-0

Round 6: I didn't realize it at the time but this guy was part of LSV's team superstar gaming he was playing NLU/gwb

Game 1: I lose the roll and spell snare his turn 2 dark confidant which he forces then I drop a dreadnought with force backup for his StP he reveals a sower for confidant but I have a waste on my turn to keep him off his 4th mana and attempt to dig for another swords fails.

Game 2: We have some back and forth which gets me a tarmogoyf however he has a shackles waiting for it and my own goyf takes me out.

Game 3: I resolve a turn 2 standstill with a factory in play but procede to miss 8 land drops until he eventually eot grips my land and plays good stuff.

5-1

Round 7: Ugw Thresh with no tricks
    Before the match I put my opponent on aggro-control.

Game 1: based on my read I keep a hand with 2 land 1 top 3 cb and a FoW. My read is right and after my second counterbalance resolves he is locked out of the game.

Game 2: he is kind of landscrewed thanks to my stifle/wasteland combo and the game isn't close.

6-1

Round 8: aggro loam
    I am not happy to find my opponent is a Brazilian pro with 3 byes but he gave the impression of someone playing red (I put him on goyf sligh) so I didn't mind as much

Game 1: I win the the roll and keep a hand with cb/top and stifle. I stifle his first turn fetch drop turn 2 top and turn 3 cb with 2/3 locks him out.

Game 2: I have answers for whatever he does and after he grips my cb I drop a dreadnought he then drops 3 5/6 tarmos but I have relic to make them all small.

7-1

Round 9: Coming to the end of a long day I really want a win here.

Game 1: I saw him playing earlier and knew he was playing mono red goblins and mull accordingly to a hand of turn 2 dreadnought he then drops a goblin tinkerer but I have aforce waiting.

Game 2: he resolves turn 1 lackey and hits me turn 2 dropping matron then takes 5 minutes before finally deciding on tinkerer. He then misses his turn 2 land drop but plays a vial. I simply drop a factory and pass. He ramps his vial and passes. I play my 3rd land and a needle on vial. When he eventually hits more lands my tempo advantage has already won me the game.

So I finish strong at 8-1

Day 2: I don't get much sleep and am not happy when I see my round 10 opponent is LSV.

Game 1: I keep a solid hand but draw nothing and although I have answers for his first 3 plays he resolves a trygon turn 5 and I countinue to draw nothing.

Game 2: He has all the answers and I get completely blown out.

Round 11: glimpse elves

Game 1: I double mull and he kills me turn 3

Game 2: I resolve 3 standstill this game (I drew 7 land from these draws) and he plays kinda bad when I own his shushers with firespout while tarmos beat face.

Game 3: I feel like this was my biggest mistake of the tournament where I mull a hand with FoW nought standstill and 4 land to keep a 3 land hand of stifle/nought spout and 3 land just to die turn 2.

8-3

Round 12: merfolk with vendillion clique (sp?)

Game 1: things look really good for me until I go from owning to getting owned (not sure where I went wrong)

Game 2: I remember sitting win top in play for 8 turns while a reejerry killed me.

Well this sucks 8-4

I remember talking to people saying I just wanted to play against red decks.

Round 13: burn

Game 1: the savage red ultrapro tell holds through although I put him on goblins unfortunally I mull be get nothing however I mindtrixk him into thinking I'm playing landstill.

Game 2: I played a lot of standstills factories and tampgoyfs along with cb/top ftw.

Game 3: all I want/need is turn 2 dreadnought and when my opener has it I'm giod to go for a turn 4 kill. He promptly shows me the 4 shattering spree he didn't board in and I think to myself I'm so good.

9-4

Round 14: aggroloam

Game 1: I absolutely destroy him even after he shattering sprees my nought.

Game 2: I'm playing the control game and am in dominant position when I accidently pick up 4 cards off of stanstill fortunately I didn't put them in my hand and only get a warning. My control game is better than his and it's an easy win.

I love the fact he tried to say the match is only 50-50.

10-4 next round and I money

Round 15: uw dreadstill
    I know what he is playing because I watched him play earlier against Scott.

Game 1: this is an insanely good match and my tarmos eat him after we trade dreadnoughts.

Game 2: As if it wasn't bad enough for him when I waste his first land drop he doesn't play another for a while and my handis gas at this point.

So I finish 43rd

This was all written from my phone so I'll edit and update later.
    Team NeverWin: We just top 8 a lot.

Too lazy to post.

Tom MacDonald
    May 2007
    Stoughton, MA

Good Show Ben, too bad about the little loss streak, but Top 64 is definitely something to be proud of.
    Team Hammafist
    Quote Originally Posted by Admiral_Arzar View Post
    What kind of fucked-up, drug-laden, alternate universe of faerie rape does this guy live in?

Sep 2008
    Bellingham, MA

Congrats Ben! I agree about your sentiment regarding your mulligan vs Elves. You want the game to be Control vs Combo not Combo vs Combo. NLU is definitely a real contender, and I think the match up will come down to experience and skill. Shackles is obviously good vs Goyf, not so much vs Dreadnought. Standstill is amazing too. I think NLU and Dreadstill make excellent use of Counterbalance, which is the name of the game as far as I'm concerned. Rich played a similar list, and he was also in contention for a very long time, losing to LSV in a tight match being the difference between T8ing and not.

I'm disappointed to see that no Dreadstill made the Top 8, but I called the two CB decks meeting in the finals as soon as I saw the pairings. Legacy is extremely diverse, but I believe an excellent player with a CB deck should be the favorite to win the whole thing in any field.

Thread Information