Thread: [Report] Team SPOD @ March Iserlohn Event

Jul 2006
    Belluno, Italy

[Report] Team SPOD @ March Iserlohn Event

More, non-SPOD centric information can be found here (soonish to come – check the entries under 01.03.2009).

Photos taken during the event can be found here.

Preamble

Two weeks ago Stefan suggested we go to Iserlohn once again and therewith a plan was born: we planned to head for somewhere near Iserlohn after Saturday's Mannheim event, sleep at some random nerds place and then rock the house on the following day. It didn't quite work out like that. First of all, all of our team-intern cars (and therewith drivers) fizzled. All five of them. Then Stefan fizzled due to his sister moving flats that day. Therefore I organized Karlsruhe regular Martin Schreiber as driver and a former Karlsruhe regular back for some action, Ilpum Jherng, as additional passenger (splitting gas costs on only 3 shoulders would have made the trip extremely expensive – we live in Europe aka. €1.3/litre gas land, remember?). However, as all of our sleepover possibilities close to Iserlohn also vanished (all four of them), the outlook for the trip was rather grim.
    In the end, it all turned out good though: Stefan managed to make the trip and I managed to organize a sleepover possibility near enough to Iserlohn to make the trip worth our time (at Bonn, 130km south of Iserlohn). We decided to meet at the Mannheim event and hit the road to Bonn after rocking the event on Saturday.
    It all looked just fine... until Manuel Heiler, our driver to Mannheim, called me Saturday morning and said that he wouldn't be able to make it. Once again, EPIC fizzle. Luckily Germany has a pretty good (albeit horribly expensive) public transports system making it relatively easy to reach Mannheim via train. Harrald and I therefore picked a out train, called Ilpum (yeah, he missed his ride to Mannheim too) in order to tell him of the plan and off we were.
    Some hours later, Harrald an I met at the train station from which we were to catch the train to Mannheim. However, Ilpum was nowhere near to be seen. Some minutes later, Harrald's cellphone rang: Ilpum was calling. I told Harrald to ask Ilpum if he was waiting at Karlsruhe main station and not at Karlsruhe Durlach which he obviously was. He therefore took another train to Mannheim whereas Harrald and me met Stefan some minutes later at Bruchsal main station from where we proceeded to Heidelberg main station. We were then told to get out of the train because only the first part of the train was supposed to continue to Mannheim whereas the later part (obviously the on we were in) was supposed to stay at Heidelberg main station. As we got off the train, the first part was just leaving the station. Great. We therefore checked the board to make out the next earliest train leaving for Mannheim which was supposed to be that second part of the train we'd just gotten off. Therefore, in we went again – to watch three other trains leaving for Mannheim before ours... however, we (or at least the whining part of we i.e. Harrald and Stefan) had beer so the entire trip was bearable.
    After finally reaching Mannheim we walked another 2.6km to reach the site where Martin was waiting for us and off we were for Bonn – despite all setbacks, it did work out after all.
    Musical company: Die Apokalyptischen Reiter, Equilibrium, Eluveitie, Ensiferum, Alestorm, In Extremo, Fahnenfluch, Dropkick Murphys, Motörhead, Korpiklaani, Finntroll and Grave Digger amongst others.

After reaching Bonn we had some pizza, Cube drafted and built Ilpum's and Martin's decks. Next morning we were off to Iserlohn, found the site relatively easily, stopped sucking (getting up before 0900 hours is hell, no kiddin') and started being awesome instead.

This is what Team SPOD ended up playing:
    • Harrald Locutus Herrlich – Fiery Pandaburst
    • Stefan SpiritoftheWretch Czolk – Not Quite Balanced /r
    • Clemens Der_imaginäre_Freund Wolff - Not Quite Balanced /w

The other two guys in the card decided to play:
    • Martin MSC Schreiber – Tog SPOD Style
    • Ilpum unregged Jherng – UWB Fish

Here's what I sleeved up:

Code:
    /// Maindeck (60 cards)

// Lands (18)
        4 Flooded Strand
        4 Windswept Heath
        3 Tropical Island
        2 Tundra
        2 Island
        1 Forest
        1 Plains
        1 Nantuko Monastery

// Beaters (13)
        4 Werebear
        4 Tarmogoyf
        2 Trygon Predator
        3 Rhox War Monk

// Card Advantage (11)
        4 Brainstorm
        4 Ponder
        3 Sensei's Divining Top

// Permission (12)
        4 Counterbalance
        3 Daze
        1 Counterspell
        4 Force of Will

// Removal (6)
        4 Swords to Plowshares
        2 Oblivion Ring

/// Sideboard (15 cards)
        4 Hydroblast
        3 Gaddock Teeg
        2 Krosan Grip
        3 Engineered Explosives
        3 Pithing Needle
    This page will be kept updated with the newest list.

Pretty much the same list as the one I played on last month's Hassloch event minus one basic plus one dual and plus one land total because I was experiencing slight mana problems recently. The logic behind some other changes has been summed up here.

Short Report:

57 players showed up which meant 6 rounds which is unusually low for Iserlohn.

Round 1 vs. Ilpum Jherng with UWB Fish

Okay. So why again did we travel all the way to Iserlohn? Right. To play against Karlsruhe locals.

I'm on the draw.

I keep the super-greedy but just not mulliganable hand of Forest, Sensei's Divining Top (SdT), Counterbalance, Force of Will, Swords to Plowshares, Tarmogoyf and random blue, non-Ponder card. I do know that keeping this hand is greedy, however, I do think that it was the correct choice: Tarmogoyf and Counterbalance both own Fish like there is no tomorrow, Top and a slow opposing clock make sure that I'll hit land drops eventually, and if all goes wrong, I can still Force an early threat and send the next one farming.
    It didn't quite turn out like that. I have to Force an early Dark Confidant and SdT shows me no lands for 5 turns. I do find another Force for his second Dark Confidant though. I then take some mild beatings from a Jotun Grunt, and drop to 9 life before I find my second land. Jotun Grunt dies and he plays a third Dark Confidant which I can send farming thanks to the last land I savagely ripped being a fetchland. I then proceed to find my next land, drop Counterbalance and just win from there.
    Jup, that card is just that silly. You do nothing for 5-6 turns and then still win. True Story.

-3 Rhox War Monk
    -1 Daze
    +2 Engineered Explosives
    +2 Krosan Grip

This game involved neither of us finding a Counterbalance... which means that the deck with the real creatures wins. I drop an early Goyf while he doesn't really do much. At some point I Force his Dark Confidant, play Krosan Grip onto his SdT to prevent him from finding solutions in the near future (he sadly has another one), drop another Tarmogoyf and proceed to win, win, win from there.

2:0
    1-0-0 (2:0)

Round 2 vs. Steffan Bell with RGB Aggro Loam

I'm on the play.

Coming to the table was a thin, Iron-Maiden shirted, overly tall and way nervous guy – a clash between the 'on the edge', introverted guy and the energetic, boasting South West German was inevitable.
    On a general note, I noticed that most of the peeps of Iserlohn (not you, Lazo. Not you either, Dennis R..) couldn't really handle typical South West German behaviour (i.e. constant, semi-violent trashtalking + much more extroverted approach) which is somewhat strange but created some funny situations.

I keep a solid hand with two fetchlands and a Werebear meaning that the entire Waste-lock thingy won't work at all which is a nice point to start at. He doesn't do much in the first few turns but play Loam, cycling lands and sadly look at his 3 Wasteland. At some point he plays Burning Wish for Devastating Dreams but never gets around to play it because he's low on business and because he gets the message that I'm holding back some lands (since I stopped dropping them after seeing that play – 2 lands + Werebear are enough anyway). I eventually cantrip into a Counterbalance and drop it, dropping a fetchland alongside. He plays a Mox Diamond to test Balance and I decide to take the bait because Mox Diamond would make Devastating Dream much less symmetrical (I didn't have any cantrips in hand at that point to prevent it via Counterbalance). The Mox doesn't resolve. He then plays a Burning Wish to fetch something to handle my Counterbalance. I fetch, do that savage Frenchman shuffle trick (or at least he thought I did), and reveal for 2. He didn't even try to hide his demoralization. After savagely ripping another a cantrip into SdT + random beater (Rhox War Monk) and consecutively revealing for 2 and 3 he can't do anything until I finish him off.

-3 Rhox War Monk
    -3 Daze
    +3 Engineered Explosives
    +3 Hydroblast

My hand is pretty strong (Werebear + Tarmogoyf + 2 lands + Force of Will). I decide to Force his early beater. In the following turn a cantrip into Counterbalance makes it the situation all the better by revealing a Counterbalance. I drop it. And a fetchland (anyone get a feeling of Déjà Vue?). He baits again, I reveal and don't hit it. He tries to resolve a Burning Wish, I fetch and present him the deck, telling him to please cut something costing two to the top. He mumbles something about “not being one of those guys” - hence I take the deck back, energetically cut (a habit of me – I always cut my own deck after shuffling), and reveal... for two. He literally died in his chair. Soon thereafter, Tarmogoyf and Werebear finish him off.

2-0-0 (4:0)

Round 3 vs. Harrald Herrlich with Fiery Pandaburst

I'm on the draw.

This is a joke, right? Like I'm travelling 600+ km in order to play locals? We actually did not plan to knock each other out of contention but rather envisaged being awesome, bashing Iserlohn and stealing all their price money!

The game itself was pretty dull. And by dull I obviously mean that I had the God Draw™, starring Force of Will, double Swords to Plowshares and double Tarmogoyf.
    However, he just counter-God-Draw™-ed and had more fat guys than I could handle.

-3 Daze
    -2 Trygon Predator
    +3 Hydroblast
    +2 Engineered Explosives

See game1. Only that his time his supply of Fat Dorks™ did run out after some time so that double Tarmogoyf + Rhox War Monk could finish him off in time.

Third game I succumb to Deus of Calamity combo i.e. turn 3 Lumbering Satyr (Oblivion Ring), turn 4 Deus (Swords to Plowshares), turn 5 Deus (Hydroblast), turn 6 Deus (Force of Will) turn 7 Blastoderm (errr...), turn 8 Krosan Grip on Oblivion Ring (errr...²), turn 9 massive in my face actions (errr...³).

1:2

2-1-0 (5:2)

Round 4 vs. Micha Schulz with GBW Survival

I'm on the play.

Blablablacounterbalanceblahgoyflablablabla.

-3 Rhox War Monk
    -2 Trygon Predator
    +2 Krosan Grip
    +3 Engineered Explosives

Blablablacounterbalanceblahgoyflablablabla.

3-1-0 (7:2)

Round 5 vs. Philip Schröder with RGWB Aggro Loam

I'm on the play.

I get a fairy aggressive start with an early Threshed Werebear + Tarmogoyf. Sadly, my disruption is limited to a lone Force of Will and my cantrips seem to be clumped somewhere at the bottom of my deck meaning that eventually he drops a Tarmogoyf. My beer err Bear death-defyingly attacks alongside Mr. T, bringing him down to 5. He drops another Goyf and wants to race me. I then proceed to drop a Trygon Predator and kill him in three turns.

-3 Rhox War Monk
    -3 Daze
    +3 Engineered Explosives
    +3 Hydroblast

He mulligans once and gets rewarded with Fetchland, Mox Diamond, Mox Diamond, Raven's Crime, Loam, go. That's solid. I then proceed to drop a Tarmogoyf, force his Tarmogoyf, and play like a total moron, not playing that last card in my hand, Engineered Explosives for 0, that would have totally shut down all of his green manasources for Loam and 2/4 manasources for Raven's Crime too. I realize the grave misplay the fraction of a second after saying “go” (I was like "go... eerrr... wait a minute") and he decides to be a douchebag (okay, let's be politically correct and replace this with “good player”) about it. That's fine with me but still douchebaggy which he also admits. I proceed to loose to being a total moron. Take that, ego! Still fine with me though: misplays should be punished, especially if they are that bad slips of concentration. Learnt my lesson, won't happen again - that's worth something too, right?

Game 3 I get the third turn kill: t1 SdT, t2 Counterbalance, game.

2:1
    4-1-0 (9:3)

Round 6 vs. Sebastian Mücke with UWB Cunning Landstill

I'm on the play.

t1 Ponder, t2 Counterbalance (I see a third turn kill coming up!), response Brainstorm (awesome!), Force, Daze. Take that! He plays a Standstill - hey there, my Ponder did really stack those cards back correctly. Oh, it'll also counter that StP you'll play on your next turn, following my Tarmogoyf. Nice. So Nice.
    Due to not seeing a Top in time, my further aggressive start can be handled. A topdecked Top eats a Counterspell. I still manage to get him down to 5 life before he assembled Crucible of Worlds + triple Mishra's Factory against my Werebear + Tarmogoyf. He has a Swords to Plowshares for my Trygon Predator + Counterspell for my exemplary of the later. I then have to overextend and only manage to counter four of his mass removals (quad Force for the morale-win! Three of those hardcast thanks to Beer *Bear* [Damn you, recurring typo! And I don't even drink.]). His last card, Engineered Explosives wipes my board, his triple Mishra's Factories kill me in a matter of no time at all.

-3 Daze
    -2 Swords to Plowshares
    -3 Rhox War Monk
    +2 Krosan Grip
    +3 Gaddock Teeg
    +3 Pithing Needle

t1 Needle on Engineered Explosives puts me off to an excellent start. He then manages to get an early Elspeth and start racing my lonely Trygon Predator. I eventually draw another Needle, for which he has a Counterspell. I cantrip into Oblivion Ring, solve the Elspeth problem at a solid 7 life, draw into SdT, find Counterbalance and Gaddock Teeg. Game.

Third Game: see second game. Only that he didn't have Elspeth and that I didn't manage to kill him in 7 minutes (that first game was epic long, however, scooping earlier would have been folly as only that last Engineered Explosives thwarted my victory).

1:1
    4-1-1 (10:4)

Other Tournament Stuff

I come in seventh and pick a Maze of Ith from the price pool (over beat a Plateau/Badlands). Horrible price payout.
    However, that one time Iserlohn was way better for trading/selling stuff than Hassloch ever will be, making the trip also worth totally it from an economic point of view (I managed to sell stuff for around €150 in total, which is awesome, covering the trip's cost by far).

Also, on a random note, I have absolutely no clue why two (!) consecutive people I never saw before asked me whether I could give them some Hash. And it's not like they aimlessly asked a number of random people; both, independently picked me out of the crowd of people and asked me and only me... seriously, do I look that much like someone doing drugs/hippie/dutchman? C'mon, there's more to a dealer than long hair...

Postlude

Performance of the rest of Team SPOD :

3-3-0 Stefan
    3-2-1 Harrald

Ilpum ended up 3-3, Martin went 1-5.

Props:
    • The deck for being something like the most consistent deck in the format
    • Roadtrips. Like the best part of MtG. And it's not even close. Now if it only were summer already - that would make for even more major profit road-trips.

Slops:
    • Adan for not coming along
    • Only 57 players showing up
    • Iserlohn's metagame for being backwards (their meta is like Hassloch's 3 months ago – and I always thought the south was the slower part when it comes to Legacy)
    • All the guys for failing. C'mon, we planned something totally different, didn't we?
    • All the guys but Harrald for snoring. Incredibly loudly. Like “OmgIJustCan'tSleepHere” loud. Eventually the problem was solved by a spatial dislocation of meself, however, the solution was not truly satisfactory.

I apologize for the report being rushed - I have a job interview coming up and a week worth of school stuff to catch up on so that my time is pretty limited right now.
    Anyway, Peace Out & you people'd better rock that GP (I don't want to whine, but I want to whine...) or I'm going to be even more mad at that Ocean and at the US for being so far away.
    Last edited by diffy; 03-06-2009 at 07:53 AM.
    Team SPOD - ...land of the brave...

Hella fuckin' balls to the wall awesome
    Mar 2008
    Maryland

Re: [Report] Team SPOD @ March Iserlohn Event

Congrats on the epic savage beating. Can I have some hash?
    Team Unicorn: We're horny...get it?

Quote Originally Posted by Ewokslayer View Post
    You might want to go to a hospital. It appears you cracked your head open.

You are leaking stupid all over the internet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihil Credo View Post
    I masturbated on that picture of your cat.

not really someone worth listening to
    Jun 2006
    مجريط , Spain

Hey! I love your reports, pretty enjoyable and funny, and of course always full of many non-Magic info. I'm more convinced of trying Werebears now.

PS: 1,3 €/litre gas does not include the whole continent, here in 3rd world Europe we have it around 1€, cheaper as everything (i.e.: beer), hell why would we want larger incomes?
    PS2: Of course hash is cheaper too.
    We tried to copy the Source, but then we realized we're spanish
    If my post results dumb or offensive, it's probably just me miserably failing at being ironic in a foreign language

Ur tears of nerdrage taste so sweet to me.
    Feb 2008
    Do not care.

I'll be there rocking next Dülmen with your list if you bring me some hash along. Swear it.
    Team Legal Actions.

explosive
    Feb 2006
    Germany - RLP

Quote Originally Posted by Der_imaginäre_Freund View Post
    Performance of the rest of Team SPOD :

3-3-0 Stefan
    3-2-1 Harrald

Ilpum ended up 3-3, Martin went 1-5.

Adan for not coming along
    5-0-0 (10-0 in games) Adan @ Mannheim Legacy the day before
    4-0-0 (8-1 in games) Adan @ Mannheim Highlander the same day

I turned my 5 Euro into 70 Euro store credit.

That was necessary. I would have gone with you to IS IF I'd have had the money, but I am still broke at the moment. And since you have mentioned the 1,3€/Letr., the only car I have access to is my mother's BMW 523i, built in 1998 with automatic gear which consumes approx. 14 Ltr/100km.

But sweet that you all missed me. xD

Anyway, as long as we can rock Annecy it's all fine to me, Iserlohn has about 0 pull-factors for me.
    Team SPOD
    <Der_imaginäre_Freund> props:
    Adan for being the NQG God (drawer)

Trapped inside my embryonic cell
    Dec 2006
    Stoughton, MA

I approve of your choice of folk metal. Are you going to Paganfest this year (I assume its going to Germany)? It's coming to Massachusetts on May 1 (Korpiklaani, Eluvetie, Moonsorrow, and a few others). Should be a jolly good time.

Oh, right, Magic. Uh, congrats on the Top 8!
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg 'IdrA' Fields
    good sir, you appear to be somewhat lacking in intelligence. please refrain from posting until this is remedied, since it renders your opinions slightly less than correct and has a tendency to irritate more informed forum-goers.

Endgegner
    Dec 2008
    Karlsruhe, Germany

Yeah,
    it was a hell of a weekend.

It started slow at Saturday when Ilpum wasn't at the meeting point and I had to drive to Mannheim alone. There I heared, that the other Nerds weren't there and would show up later. Not so good, when I wanted to borrow some Cards for the Affinity Deck I wanted to play. Okay, I had my Fish ready, so I had at least a Deck.
    The Tournament had 27 people and therefore 5 Rounds. I played:
    Icchorid 2:1
    Was a little lucky here, the Matchup isn't really good, but Game 2 I had Relic + 3 MM and Game 3 his Deck didn't really do anything.
    UGw-Grow with Progenitus (piloted by Adan) 0:2
    Game 1 he plays Natural Order and my Brainstorm finds only Force, but no Pitch.
    Game 2 I boarded Perish, but after a Mulligan my Deck is so slow, that I don't do anything.
    Merfolk 0:2
    This Matchup is just plain awfull. Islandwalk just wins.
    Gobblins 1:2
    In the third Game, my Confi brings me down to 2, just after i stabilised the boardposition and double Fanatics just kill me...

So, Time to go to Iserlohn, but the others hadn't showed up till now. Through weak planing I hadn't a single Telefone-Number, to find out whats going on. Luckyly, before my patience runs out, all of them showed up.
    Then comes the funny part of packing the luggage of 5 people in the back of a small car and the folding the 5 people in the car.
    We tried to get some beer in Mannheim, but there was just no store to find. Again were lucky and I spot a Supermarket near a drive-up from the Highway as we were halfway to Bonn.

Spending the Evening playing Magic was a lot of fun, but my Deck for the next Day wouldn't run as planned, so Harald convinced me to play the Tog-Deck.

As one can see in the from my 1:5 record, this wasn't a wise choice.
    The Deck led me down a lot of times, and me more than once making suboptimal plays didn't really help. I played:
    UWb-Fish 0:1 :1
    First game I asemble CB+Topf and Counter everything but that lonely Hoofprints he played 2 Turn. I'm not ably to find a 3. Land for the 2 Deeds on my Hand before the Hoofprints-Tokens kills me.
    Game 2 I have Board Control with Deed and Explosives, but he Handels all Creatures i play. -> Timeout
    RGw-Zoo 0:2
    Really bad Matchup. I had 2 times Counterbalance, but the Creatures he plays 1-2 Turn kill me, cause using Deed on your own CB isn't really wise versus Burnspells...
    Aggro Loam 0:2
    First Game I nearly had him with Spiritmonger, but he gets Chasm-Lock, stalls me until he finds a Wish and finishes me with Wurm Calling.
    Game 2 I made a huge mistake by extirpating Chasm instead of Loam, which just costs me the game.
    UWb-Fish 0:2
    First Game he stomps on me with playing 6 Creatures in 8 Round. Hoping for a deed, I try to counter his Meddling Mage with CB. Really weak Idea, as the Deed is really there, but so he knows exactly what to name for CB. :-(
    Game 2 his CB just wins. True Story!
    UWB-Trinket-Fish 2:0
    Fish again? Okay this time, the Deck just does it's thing. Game 1 Deed is really nice, cause he has 2 Artifact Lands (tutor with Trinket Mage). Game 2 Spritmonger is just bigger than any of his creatures.
    Gobblins 1:2
    Game 1 he starts with Mountain-Lackay, bringing Siege-Gang Turn 2 + Piledriver. Dying Turn 3 isn't funny. Game 2 I get him with Plague and BEBs, but in Game 3 he just copys Game 1.

Nice fact is, that the others decided, that the best player would sit in front on our way home. Clemens winning as the thinnest didn't make it more comfortable in the back seats I think.
    From there it was just driving through the Night Home, hearing good Music and letting the others sleep.

Pros:
    • Having a really fun Weekend
    • Draft with Legacy-Cards
    • Not playing a single Person I know in Iserlohn
    • Spiritmonger for beeing awesome

Cons:
    • Really bad planing of the Trip
    • Tog-Deck for plain sucking! 8 Mulligans in 13 Games!
    • Not making a single good Trade in Iserlohn

Feb 2007
    San Diego

If no one else hadn't noticed...

Clemens, you cut the war monk evry match except for the pandaburst games...

The card is good, but apparently it is the weakest link in your meta, as you didn't really play agro once in the tournament.

Jul 2006
    Belluno, Italy

Quote Originally Posted by thefreakaccident View Post
    You cut the war monk every match except for the Pandaburst games...
    The card is good, but apparently it is the weakest link in your meta, as you didn't really play aggro once in the tournament.
    In Germany there isn't such a thing as a Legacy Metagame. Not even something remotely close. This is mainly due to the fact that many players don't stick to a same deck for consecutive events and that Legacy just offers such a wide variety of decks to choose from (and players don't rationally go for the best deck[s]). Therefore, I have to build my decks with an almost absolute Metagame in mind, where every deck has about the same chance of showing up (almost absolute because they are some tendencies that always can be perceived, at least to a certain extent, like for example the German's love for blue based aggro control)... and in such a Metagame, Rhox War Monk isn't anywhere near to getting cut right now because he helps out in some of your worse matchups: he's simply solid against anything aggressive which never was a good matchup for you - and I hear ironing out moderately bad matchups leads to more wins in a random field.
    Also, the card formerly in RWM's slots, Nimble Mongoose, would have come out in 5 matches too (the change being keeping it against Landstill but shipping it away against Pandaburst).

Quote Originally Posted by godryk View Post
    1,3 €/litre gas does not include the whole continent, here in 3rd world Europe we have it around 1€, cheaper as everything (i.e.: beer), hell why would we want larger incomes?
    I've only been to Spain twice and both times it seemed as expensive as the rest of Europe to me (from the Pyrenees, following the Camino de Santiago till Galicia/Santiago de Compostela), if not more expensive (Barcelona, Bilbao) so I can't really reply to this in any witty manner.
    Also, you just wait 'til Mañana Mentality has caught up with the fact that we're supposed to be in a recession =).

Quote Originally Posted by KillemallCFH View Post
    Are you going to Paganfest this year (I assume its going to Germany)? It's coming to Massachusetts on May 1 (Korpiklaani, Eluvetie, Moonsorrow, and a few others). Should be a jolly good time.
    I'm still mad at myself for missing out on last year's Paganfest, even the more since dates for this year haven't yet been fixed.
    The head-banging part of Team SPOD is currently planning to go to this year's Summer Breeze though - and that festival also has it's fair share of excellent (Folk) Metal bands this year.

Aug 2008
    Germany

Here's what I sleeved up:

Code:
    /// Maindeck (60 cards)

// Lands (18)
        4 Flooded Strand
        4 Windswept Heath
        3 Tropical Island
        2 Tundra
        3 Island
        1 Forest
        1 Plains
        1 Nantuko Monastery

// Beaters (13)
        4 Werebear
        4 Tarmogoyf
        2 Trygon Predator
        3 Rhox War Monk

// Card Advantage (11)
        4 Brainstorm
        4 Ponder
        3 Sensei's Divining Top

// Permission (12)
        4 Counterbalance
        3 Daze
        1 Counterspell
        4 Force of Will

// Removal (6)
        4 Swords to Plowshares
        2 Oblivion Ring

/// Sideboard (15 cards)
        4 Hydroblast
        3 Gaddock Teeg
        2 Krosan Grip
        3 Engineered Explosives
        3 Pithing Needle
    @DiF : Very good report with road stories. Sad that i hadn't the time to come to Iserlohn, too.
    About long hair : A few years ago, people with long hair were called "Bombenleger". So take it easy ;-)
    Interesting topic about south west germans, do you think so ?

short question : i count 19 lands in your list, did you forget to cut a land (a basic f.e.)in your list or did you play with 61 cards ;-) . I think you didin't ?

not really someone worth listening to
    Jun 2006
    مجريط , Spain

I think it's the third basic Island.
    We tried to copy the Source, but then we realized we're spanish
    If my post results dumb or offensive, it's probably just me miserably failing at being ironic in a foreign language

Jul 2006
    Belluno, Italy

Quote Originally Posted by godryk View Post
    I think it's the third basic Island.
    What he said. Also, fixed.

Pics are up, too. I have to admit, I actually do look kind of stoned on those photos.

Shake that.
    Mar 2008
    Amsterdam

Photos taken during the event can be found here.
    Last foto, guy on the left. Florian Fischer I believe. He beat me in Utrecht with Solidarity while only having 3 lands and I had a Trinisphere out. I still can't believe I lost that match .
    If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck, it's probably delicious.
    Team ADHD-To resist is to piss in the wind. Anyone who does will end up smelling.

Plays green decks
    Nov 2006
    Portland

Quote Originally Posted by Skeggi View Post
    Last foto, guy on the left. Florian Fischer I believe. He beat me in Utrecht with Solidarity while only having 3 lands and I had a Trinisphere out. I still can't believe I lost that match .
    Is that possible?

Trapped inside my embryonic cell
    Dec 2006
    Stoughton, MA

Quote Originally Posted by Jak. View Post
    Is that possible?
    I'm assuming some sort of bounce was involved.
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg 'IdrA' Fields
    good sir, you appear to be somewhat lacking in intelligence. please refrain from posting until this is remedied, since it renders your opinions slightly less than correct and has a tendency to irritate more informed forum-goers.

Hey - Great report. I recently moved to Mannheim on exchange and was wondering where the events you mentioned take place here. I didn't bring my cards with me, but I think it would be interesting to take a look at the legacy scene here in Deutschland. Do you live in Mannheim as well, Imaginary Friend? Let me know! Cheers.

Jul 2006
    Belluno, Italy

Quote Originally Posted by The Grim Reaper View Post
    Do you live in Mannheim as well?
    I'm Karlsruhe based.
    The Legacy scene is pretty active down here. There's Hassloch on every third Sunday of the month, usually the largest event (6 rounds minimum), and there are events in Mannheim and Karlsruhe on a semi-irregular basis (once a month but on changing weekends), with the later having terrible turnouts (3-4 rounds). Mannheim's turnouts aren't too bad (4-5 rounds).
    More information is found here (Mannheim + Hassloch) and here (Karlsruhe).

I'm Karlsruhe based.
    The Legacy scene is pretty active down here. There's Hassloch on every third Sunday of the month, usually the largest event (6 rounds minimum), and there are events in Mannheim and Karlsruhe on a semi-irregular basis (once a month but on changing weekends), with the later having terrible turnouts (3-4 rounds). Mannheim's turnouts aren't too bad (4-5 rounds).
    More information is found here (Mannheim + Hassloch) and here (Karlsruhe).
    Thanks for the info. Its really a shame I didn't bring my cards, I'd love to participate in some of these tourneys. I come from Vancouver in Canada, and we have a really pathetic legacy scene. I suppose I will have to befriend some German MTG players to play in the tourney :)

Thread Information