Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [Report] Grand Prix Chicago Top 8

Mantis Toboggan, M.D.
    Aug 2006
    Toronto, Canada

Re: [Report] Grand Prix Chicago Top 8

I don't think I understand your point about that option. If he draws with top, he doesn't counter the fire ice. I was stifling the CB trigger on the Fire//Ice, not the Top activations.

Edit: I see. I wasn't clear in the report. Both stifles were targetting Counterbalance activations, not Top activations.

I do not remember specifically how I sided in or out, I normally do it on the fly.

Here are some of the most amazing stories from Chicago:

About the thieves:
    During my round 4 match against a fellow Canadian we heard someone yelling "JUDGE, JUDGE, JUDGE" and a bunch of judges running towards them yelling "GET OUT OF THE WAY" then a big thump. We then saw the Judges walking a young man to the front towards the police on site.
    Afterward I was told that one of the Judges had seen this guy steal a bag, then chased him down and jumped him yelling "You are going downtown". (that line was probably fabricated). Apparently it was a whole family with a child as young as 9 who were stealing the bags.

My teammate watching a match:
    Dragon Stompy vs. Some UW Deck

The Dragon Stompy player goes all in with a Rakdos Pit Dragon that has helbent. The U/W player has no outs (according to my teammate), could be that he has used all his swords, or he doesn't play them, not sure. Anyways, the UW player takes his turn, draws his card and drops it. It is a Meddling Mage, which seems like a terrible answer to Rakdos Pit Dragon. He names Blood Moon. His opponent draws for turn and yells FUCK. He drew the Blood Moon, making the dragon loose hellbent, and lost to the U/W player.

My friend who rode up with us had never played legacy before. He picked up ANT, Day 2ed and ended up going x-3. He is playing round 15, winner gets Top 16. He is playing against Imperial Painter. Imperial Painter is on the play and I see his hand of Ancient Tomb, Painter's Servant, Grindstone, Simian Spirit Guide, Simian Spirit Guide ect. I walk away. My friend finds me after the match and i say, "You lost right?". He says "No, my opponent went first turn painter and failed to play the grindstone, passed the turn, and I Duressed him"

Get Money, Ghost
    Oct 2005
    Albany

Congrats!
    Team Rehab- We Keep Coming Back For More
    Team Blitzkrieg- Swagga.
    Storm Boards
    Quote Originally Posted by FakeSpam View Post
    Legacy is like Japan. We don't make stuff, we just make stuff better.

Quote Originally Posted by goobafish View Post
    Afterward I was told that one of the Judges had seen this guy steal a bag, then chased him down and jumped him yelling "You are going downtown". (that line was probably fabricated). Apparently it was a whole family with a child as young as 9 who were stealing the bags.
    This is not accurate. Somewhat more accurate: http://www.thestarkingtonpost.com/?p=406.

James Elliott is apparently writing about the incident for his SCG piece this week.
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.
    -David DeLaney

Mantis Toboggan, M.D.
    Aug 2006
    Toronto, Canada

Quote Originally Posted by cdr View Post
    This is not accurate. Somewhat more accurate: http://www.thestarkingtonpost.com/?p=406.

James Elliott is apparently writing about the incident for his SCG piece this week.
    That's what I figured, I was told this by some people at the event. People like to exaggerate, and it was a pretty funny line.

Everybody's a jerk! You, me..........this jerk.
    Jan 2006
    DuPont Circle

Team Unicorn is making "Cappy gets there" T-shirts in honor of the steamroller that is Dave Caplan.

Cartwheel into Wasteland? Yep. Cappy gets there anyway.

One lander with Brainstorm? Awww, Cappy just nabs another land plus a Fetch off of it.

The man is the king of savage rips. Playing the same deck for two years has it's advantages. He could almost predict his next draw on most turns.

Fucking amazing tournament sir.

Another amazing story from Chicago:

Before Mink got his free win from Kowal, he got another in the 14th round. Opponent was playing the same deck as Kowal, with a full hand, but nothing in play. Mink has a Slogger, un-bent Raiders, and Chalice at one. He plays a Magus that resolves, then declares his attack. His opponent taps three lands including his only Plains to Grip Chalice. Then taps his Savannah to Plow the Slogger. Yeah. Mink wins, and draws with Andy into the Top 8.
    Quote Originally Posted by MacGruber View Post
    Look, I will suck your dick. I will suck your fucking dick. I will do it, just join my team. I’ll suck your dick. You can fuck me or get fucked by me. You can watch me fuck something. Just point at something, I’ll fuck it for you. Just tell me what you want me to fuck!
    ~ Team Unicorn Motto

Get Money, Ghost
    Oct 2005
    Albany

I'll buy one of those shirts if they ever get made.
    Team Rehab- We Keep Coming Back For More
    Team Blitzkrieg- Swagga.
    Storm Boards
    Quote Originally Posted by FakeSpam View Post
    Legacy is like Japan. We don't make stuff, we just make stuff better.

Trapped inside my embryonic cell
    Dec 2006
    Stoughton, MA

Fucking awesome job. Everyone here was behind you and you didn't dissappoint.
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg 'IdrA' Fields
    good sir, you appear to be somewhat lacking in intelligence. please refrain from posting until this is remedied, since it renders your opinions slightly less than correct and has a tendency to irritate more informed forum-goers.

RawR Bitch
    Sep 2007
    Norwich, CT

Fun stories and a great report. Congrats on the finish.
    Co-Founder of Team Awesome - I heard Randy Buehler say a while back that good players give themselves the most number of turns to find the answer.
    The Source on MTGO - Predator8785 and RockOut
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    Women come and go, turn one protection is forever.

Jun 2008
    Ohio

Congrats on the finish. I played the same 60 and started off 6-1, but through a combination of bad plays and good/bad draws I managed to lose out and miss day 2. I cut disrupt from the sb because I found it to be underwhelming, but reading your report makes me think otherwise. Was it as good as you make it sound (and more specifically, worth curring cards like extra grips and clasms)?

Source Random
    Aug 2006
    Ottawa, Canada

Quote Originally Posted by revenge_inc View Post
    Someone give Gooba adept status for plain kick-assery.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinious View Post
    This thread disgusts me. Carry on.

Derp.
    Mar 2009
    Ny

i wish they had live coverage that i could find :(
    do they like just record like random stuff or?

is selling his Underground Seas.
    May 2006
    Birmingham, AL

Meddling Mage on Blood Moon might be the most awesome thing ever. Even if it was DS losing. It was losing to my favorite threat evar.

Quote Originally Posted by majikal View Post
    Damn it, Taco, that exactly sums up my opinion on the matter. I need to buy you a beer for that post.

Thread Information