Thread: [Ass-Kicking Report] Nightmare at GP: Chicago

The King of Lockjobs
    Oct 2003
    Middle of Nowhere, NY

[Ass-Kicking Report] Nightmare at GP: Chicago

Hey, I didn't want this to get hidden, so I made a clear link to Nightmare's blog about the GP:

http://saltcitymagic.blogspot.com/

Enjoy. And screw Progenitus.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavius The Great View Post
    Germany seems to find me influential. Have you ever Googled "Nourishing Lich"?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihil Credo View Post
    No, Peter_Rotten, you are the problems.

Re: [Report] Nightmare's GP

I collected one of your results slips. You totally didn't say hello to me.

I'm still bitter.
    Magic Level 3 Judge
    Southern USA Regional Coordinator

Quote Originally Posted by frogboy View Post
    Battle with a ragtag crew of adorable misfits. Narcomoeba and Golgari Thug hook up before the end of the movie.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihil Credo View Post
    Please be less rambling in your next post. I only bothered with figuring out what the fuck you were trying to ask because I took it as a challenge.

Shake that.
    Mar 2008
    Amsterdam

Quote Originally Posted by Peter_Rotten View Post
    And screw Progenitus.
    He has protection from screws.

It's a nice report, good read and contains valuable lessons concerning a number of mistakes. Especially the Demigod one, haha, I bet he won't do that again .
    If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck, it's probably delicious.
    Team ADHD-To resist is to piss in the wind. Anyone who does will end up smelling.

Everybody Row
    Oct 2007
    Peck, MI

Re: GRAND PRIX: CHICAGO!!! - Live Coverage

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    Also, my report is up.

http://saltcitymagic.blogspot.com/
    Nice report. If you could do it again would you still play PtE? Was NO worth playing?

*/*
    Dec 2004
    Syracuse, NY

Bet I will.

Kevin, do you remember what round it was? If I had just lost, I could have been distracted. Or, if I had just schooled Ichorid.

Also, you look different in person than I expected you to, so I may have simply not recognized you. And you could also have said hi to me.

Overall, I'm happy with my performance, but I would really have liked to make day two. I think I was even closer than X-3 seems; I was literally a play or two away.

Something I forgot in the report - Some numbers on the day:

Times I cast Natural Order - 3 (every time I saw the card)
    Times I resolved Natural Order - 2
    Times I drew Progenitus - 6
    Times I kept a hand with Progenitus in it - 3
    Times I revealed Progenitus on Counterbalance - 2
    Times I removed Progenitus from the game Via Force of Will - 3

Undefined Fantastic Object

Oct 2006
    Waterloo, Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Skeggi View Post
    He has protection from screws.

It's a nice report, good read and contains valuable lessons concerning a number of mistakes. Especially the Demigod one, haha, I bet he won't do that again .
    I was there when he did it, but he was pretty good about it. I was impressed how mature he acted about it, since I have seen worse that day. I'd like to thank Mr.nightmare for his sportmanship.

That SBing into All-in-Red came out of me and my team's mind when we failed to find 15 mountains to bluff the SB. Surprisingly, it won many games.
    She said, "You're broken."
    "So is your face." replied the Tarmogoyf.

*/*
    Dec 2004
    Syracuse, NY

Re: GRAND PRIX: CHICAGO!!! - Live Coverage

Quote Originally Posted by Fons View Post
    Nice report. If you could do it again would you still play PtE? Was NO worth playing?
    I think PtE was good. It was only boarded against Goblins, but it did what I wanted in that matchup. Perhaps it would have been fine as BEB, but I wanted another Swords effect vs. Merfolk, too. I kinda wish I had a way to get a Pyroclasm effect in the board, but I liked the list pretty much as is. On the other hand, as I said above, I only cast NO three times on the day. I think had I seen it more, it would have been fine, maybe even great, but it simply didn't show up in my hand. This was a trend in testing, too - Everyone else I saw playing the deck seemed to draw it FAR more than I did, to the point of the deck being clunky. The deck acted much more like normal White Thresh to me, and I was fine with it.

*/*
    Dec 2004
    Syracuse, NY

Quote Originally Posted by C.P. View Post
    I was there when he did it, but he was pretty good about it. I was impressed how mature he acted about it, since I have seen worse that day. I'd like to thank Mr.nightmare for his sportmanship.

That SBing into All-in-Red came out of me and my team's mind when we failed to find 15 mountains to bluff the SB. Surprisingly, it won many games.
    As soon as Alex said "Judge" I realized what I had done. There was no way I was going to talk my way out of it, it was simply a measure of my inexperience with dealing with the card, compiled with 8 hours of Magic on the day. I wish I had played the match better, but I'm more upset with myself for playing sloppy. In all reality, I deserved to lose that match for making that mistake. There are a lot of players who would deny themselves that insight - hell, on a different day I could have been one of them - but he was lucky to run into me with the right cards at the right time. Kudos to him, and you for the board. I'm just bummed out that he scrubbed on day two after knocking me out.

Undefined Fantastic Object

Oct 2006
    Waterloo, Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    Kudos to him, and you for the board. I'm just bummed out that he scrubbed on day two after knocking me out.
    Thanks. Yeah, he just totally got plowed D2, but seeing how the only reason I gave him belcher was 'less time you spend interecting with opponent, less mistake you make', it did not surprise me too much. Still, too bad.

Hope to see you again sometime.

Times I kept a hand with Progenitus in it - 3
    Times I removed Progenitus from the game Via Force of Will - 3
    Did you pitch to FoW everytime this happend? or is the number just happens to coincide?
    She said, "You're broken."
    "So is your face." replied the Tarmogoyf.

*/*
    Dec 2004
    Syracuse, NY

Quote Originally Posted by C.P. View Post
    Did you pitch to FoW everytime this happend? or is the number just happens to coincide?
    They just happened to coincide. Brainstorm is a wonderful card.

Jun 2006
    Germany

Nice report. And it shows that matches are often decided upon minimal different plays.

I like Tacos.
    Jan 2006
    Traverse City, MI

Too bad I didn't run into you. I was actively hunting the Sourcers to try and put some faces to these names.

Glad to hear you had fun also.

Anyway, I have an extra foil Flagstones if you're interested.

*/*
    Dec 2004
    Syracuse, NY

Quote Originally Posted by dahcmai View Post
    Anyway, I have an extra foil Flagstones if you're interested.
    You guys all need to figure out that the posts are signed on the bottom, not the top.

I don't play that EDH deck. Munkie does. PM him - same name here.

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

Wow Adam. I feel for you big time about the demigod situation. That would be really hard for me to come to grips with, all things considered. I think you are handling it well (online at least). And that says a lot about a person.

Anyway, try not to let it bug you too much. You stood up to be counted and brought the goods to a 6-3. You are still the man.
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

Feb 2006
    Boston

That draft on Sunday was awesome. It's too bad you Syracuse guys are total noobs and draft awful colors though. When I walked over and you guys asked for Islands, it was painfully obvious that Team Not-Syracuse was going to win.

Serious Rider
    Oct 2005

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare
    a $4 bottle of water
    From Norway. For what it's worth, Maverick opened the bottle in our room (after a few rum and cokes), and it tasted pretty much the same as tap water. We're pretty sure the cleaning ladies just fill it back up in the sink (while watching TV in the mirror), then stick a new label on.

And bad beats on the Demigod thing. It happens to the best of us. At least the head judge made the ruling that "Top in response" doesn't mean that you missed your counterbalance trigger. That would have wrecked me in a couple of games.
    Team Info-Ninjas: Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.
    My Videos: Chiron Beta Prime, Flickr, Re: Your Brains
    Quote Originally Posted by Slay
    Man Kills Seven at popular gaming tournament, buries in backyard. "I was only trying to get thresh," he says.
    -Slay

is selling his Underground Seas.
    May 2006
    Birmingham, AL

Good report.

What exactly happened with the Demigod thing?

Quote Originally Posted by majikal View Post
    Damn it, Taco, that exactly sums up my opinion on the matter. I need to buy you a beer for that post.

Bryant Cook

Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape View Post
    Good report.

What exactly happened with the Demigod thing?
    He countered Demigod, then the trigger resolved. Bringing Demigod into play.

Montreal's legacy scene
    Sep 2008
    Montreal

Quote Originally Posted by Bryant Cook View Post
    He countered Demigod, then the trigger resolved. Bringing Demigod into play.
    PS to Taco: you have to let resolve the Trigger ability of Demigod first, and then counter it. (you have to tell the guy)

Just to be sure your understood everything about this tricky move.

Whatever, thanks for your report Night. I find 6-3 not to be a bad result at all for this kind of event.

PM

Nov 2004
    Portland, Oregon

I just got out of my comphy bed to start a thread for this report and see P_R has already done this. Ah well.

Great report. One of the best I've read in a while. Too bad about the demigod thing. Fuck all that, though. At least you have a good story.

Thread Information