Thread: [Report] Outpost Antwerp with TopRock

[Report] Outpost Antwerp with TopRock

It’s Saturday night and we are in Antwerp, the exact same place where the tournament will be in less than 24 hours. After some final play testing we decide to hit the pub. We play some pool and table soccer before heading home. Time gets switched to summer hour so it’s one hour less of the needed sleep. Before arriving home we decide on what time we leave tomorrow, ready for some local tournament. I fail to fall asleep instantly, pondering what randomness I’ll face and hoping there’s at least enough people for 6 rounds. There’s already 38 people inscribed, much better than the 10 last time.

My father wakes me up and I look at the alarm clock. It’s only 9.15 I say, pointing out I wanted to be awake at 10.15, damn that summer hour. So I do my thing, eat, wash, dress, style my hair and watch TV. It’s 11.00 and for once they are on time. I write my deck list just in time before we arrive. We walk 15 minutes from the free parking space to the shop.

I enter and pay the 10 euro. I have to lend someone Tidehollow Skullers but all I know is his name so I decide shouting it downstairs, no reply. I go upstairs and sit down near some familiar people and ask the two on my other side if they know the person I’m looking for. With my luck, it was that person, or his brother at least. I give the Skullers and we chat a bit. It seems like there’s a lot of burn around as I see mono red burn, Goyf Sligh… Why does it have to be my worst match up! I gave my Kitchen Finks to Eli so I have to borrow some myself and quickly remove the Tormod’s Crypts for Kitchen Finks. JelleF also shows up and I give him the Morphling he needs.

So we are with 6 people: Me playing TopRock, Jelle playing TopRock, JelleF playing Fahad-MUC, Wim playing DreadStill, Mike playing White ThreshThreshThreshThreshThresh and Eli playing his first tournament with GB agro with Natural Order into Progenitus.

Lands:
    3 Mishra’s factory
    3 Wasteland
    2 Bayou
    3 Scrubland
    1 Savannah
    2 Forest
    1 Plains
    1 Swamp
    4 Windswept Heath
    2 Bloodstained Mire
    1 Volrath’s Stronghold

Creatures:
    4 Tarmogoyf
    4 Dark Confidant
    3 Jotun Grunt
    2 Shriekmaw
    2 Tombstalker

Artifact/Enchantment:
    3 Pernicious Deed
    3 Sensei’s Divining Top

Sorcery/Instant:
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    4 Vindicate
    4 Thoughtseize
    3 Life from the Loam
    1 Profane Command

Sideboard:
    4 Thorn of Amethyst
    4 Choke
    4 Kitchen Finks
    3 Krosan Grip
    51 people showed up so there are 6 rounds.

Round1:
    The seatings have been done a bit sloppy, there are 6 chairs and the table is nearly big enough for that but there’s 4 numbers every time. One pair goes and sits elsewhere.

Game1:
    He wins the die roll. He mulligans down to 6, then opens with Savannah which he taps. I tell him to hold on and mulligan myself. So he opens with Savannah, enchant it with Utopia Sprawl. There’s only one deck that plays such card, Enchantress. I play Thoughtseize, he drops Forest, Ground Seal. Wasteland takes out his enchanted Savannah. Vindicate on his Forest gives him 0 lands to play with.

I side out 4 StP, 2 Shriekmaw, 1 Profane Command for 4 Thorn of Amethyst, 3 Krosan Grip.

Game2:
    I mull down to 5 after he started to fast again. I keep with Vindicate, 2 land, 2 Thorn of Amethyst. Thorn 1 lands but his Blood Moon takes out my 2 non-basic. 2nd Thorn slows him some more but I lose soon.

Game3:
    I mull down to 6. He keeps a slow hand while I fetch into basics. Karmic Justice comes down as well and I drop Deed with 1 untapped land, hoping he doesn’t have a Grip or Aura. Serra’s Sanctum gives him a lot of mana and keeps dropping enchantments to feed to my Deed. He has 11 4/4 angel tokens. I draw, drop Bayou, blow for 5, wiping everything but lands on his end and I’m left with an empty board. I am holding Bloodstained Mire, Scrubland and a Loam in the yard. I have just lost my 2 Bayou’s. Damn I played the wrong land! Turns out it wouldn’t have mattered as he drops the Blood Moon. I draw the single Forest left in my deck, Loam back land but he recovers to fast and I lose.

0-1-0 (1-2)

Round2:
    I’m paired against Pieter, who I know from 2 weeks ago. He’s a starting player and is playing some elf deck. Not tuned for anything, just almost type2 elves.

Game1:
    He drops Llanowar go. I don’t StP it but play SDT instead. He drops Forest, Essence Warden, Essence Warden, attack with Llanowar. Upkeep top, pass. He just attacks after dropping a land. I draw, Confidant. He drops Elvish Champion and attacks. StP kills the Champion and Confidant trades with Llanowar. Shriekmaw takes out another Essence Warden. He drops some elves but Deed cleans it up. A 2nd Deed cleans the rest and I win shortly after.

I don’t side anything.

Game2:
    Boreal Druid, go. I drop Factory. He has nothing else to play so just attacks with the Druid. I have Wasteland, Wasteland, Bloodstained, Stronghold left in my hand so I’m happy with his slow start. I build up and he drops a Door of Destiny. He drops an elf which I Shriekmaw. He drops Imperious Perfect making his druid 4/4, trading it with a Factory. I attack into the perfect, he blocks because his is a 4/4. I kill the Door of Destiny with a Vindicate so his Perfect dies. Stronghold + Shriekmaw kills every elf he plays. Loam gets back the slain Factories and they start smashing face.

1-1-0 (3-2)

Round3:
    Another person I just know for 2 weeks. He plays Spring Tide, the sorcery speed version of High Tide.

Game1:
    I mulligan down to 5 and he jokes that I should scoop just for fun, I decline the offer. Thoughtseize gets a Snap, Confidant comes in for extra cards while he keeps playing instants during my upkeep and not at EOT. I get down two other Tarmogoyf but have not found any disruption yet. Threatening lethal damage next turn he goes off. With 6 lands in play it’s a breeze and he Brain Freezes with storm of 25+ and Strokes me afterwards.

I side out 3 Deed, 4 StP, 2 Shriekmaw, 1 Profane Command for 4 Choke, 4 Thorn of Amethyst, 2 Kitchen Finks.

Game2:
    I keep a hand with 3 land, Thorn, Thorn, SDT, Thoughtseize. I Thoughtseize to avoid a possible counter but he doesn’t have any. Thorn comes down on turn2 and the other one on turn3. I then play an SDT for 3 mana, such a crappy card for 3 mana. I get the needed lands and aim Vindicates at his. I see a Choke on top but decide not to play it to hide them for game3. I win shortly after with Confidant, Goyf, Factory.

Game3:
    I keep a hand with 2 land, Thorn, Confidant, Confidant, Vindicate and Jotun Grunt. Thorn comes down but I have to play Confidant as I have no 3rd land. I get a Top turn after but have to tap out to play it. Confidant reveals Grunt, draw Tombstalker. I switch top but still no land. Grunt comes down and discard a Tombstalker. I reveal the top, draw, play top, pass. He passes back to me. I finally find a land, I drop Tarmogoyf, leaving a Scrubland open. He plays Echoing Truth on the Thorn after a High Tide, Meditate’s, drops Cloud of Fearies untapping two Islands. Snap targets the Fearie and I cast StP. He only has 1 Island untapped and no Remand. StP resolves, he uses his last 2 mana to cast Merchant Scroll for High Tide and passes. I cast Choke and he scoops.

2-1-0 (5-3)

Round4:
    I’m up against Kristof Benearts. He’s the guy I loaned the Tidehollow Skullers to. While we are shuffling I notice the enchantress player sitting to my right. He’s looking through his hand and sais keep. Didn’t I just see 8 cards? I glare over again and call him on it. He did indeed have 8 cards. What happens afterwards I don’t know as I just focus down on my game.

Game1:
    His Confidant gets Plowed. I apply some quick pressure after killing his Tidehollow Skuller to get my card back. I basicly go all in with no cards in hand. He stabilises and drops a Tombstalker. My own tarmogoyf holds the ground while Tombstalker keeps hitting me. I get the 8th land I need to blow Deed, which I do after his draw step to avoid Stronghold and Kitchen Finks returns, not able to attack. Shriekmaw takes care of one but he has a 2nd down already. He returns Tombstalker during upkeep, leaving him with 1 black mana untapped. Kitchen Finks attacks and I make the error of trading with factory instead of Shriekmaw. Tombstalker comes down. I draw blank and lose.

Side: /

Game2:
    I have a turn2 Confidant on the play, I keep. Fetchland gets me a Bayou at Eot. Confidant comes down but gets Plowed at eot. Skuller on his side. Skuller gets a Plow and he gets Enforcer, Tarmogoyf against my Grunt. Grunt dies but Tarmogoyf keeps the ground. He has a Tombstalker again. Sensei’s Divining Top does not find me the removal I need in time and I lose.

2-2-0 (5-5)

Round5:
    I’m out of top8 but decide to play some more, I paid for it haven’t I. I’m up against Baptist.

Game1:
    This is a long match so pardon me if I get anything wrong as I never take notes. Ponder. I Thoughtseize. I leave him with 2 Brainstorm after taking another Ponder. He gets a Counterbalance on the table. Shackles on his end stops me from playing any form of threat. I play a SDT and he reveals Krosan Grip, choices! So I top and switch it. I play the SDT again and he misses yet again, top pass. Tyragon Predator comes down. I play SDT, he misses. I play swords to plowshares and he fetches in response. He hits. Predator hits me and I ask damage on stack, giving him the option to Grip, he doesn’t. I switch top. I call a judge to ask a ruling on Shriekmaw evoke and Shackles, afterwards I evoke Shriekmaw killing Predator. My top has been killed by now and he drops a Tarmogoyf. My StP resolves once more. Vindicate on the Shackles resolves but he has a 2nd. Deed reveals a Sower and clears the board. I drop a creature, he sowers. I cast Shriekmaw killing his Sower. My creature gets destroyed and another Sower takes the Shriekmaw again. I draw a SDT and find removal while I’m at 5. Predator comes down and hits me once to 3. I play SDT, find nothing and fetch down to 2. I could also have dredged Loam also giving me the 3 extra cards to see and increase the percentages of seeing removal by 1 or something but I don’t do it. I find a Vindicate killing Predator. Shriekmaw gets StP’ed bringing me back up to 5. SDT brings me more goodies and Baptist scoops them up after a 30 minutes of playing.

Told you it was long… I side in 4 Choke, 3 Grip for 2 Loam, 1 Profane Command, 3 Jotun Grunt and 1 unknown. I seriously can’t recall.

Game2:
    I keep a hand with Choke, 3 land, Factory, something, something. He gets a turn 2 Confidant, I drop an SDT, he reveals a land, dropping it, thinking and passing after dropping a Counterbalance. I Top and see Grip, Thoughtseize, Stalker. I set it up to EOT kill his Balance, Thoughtseize into Choke. He reveals a land, drops it and plays Grip on my SDT. I eot Grip the Balance. Thoughtseize reveals Sower, StP, StP, Goyf, land. Sower goes down to avoid future FoW and Choke makes him scoop.

3-2-0 (7-5)

Round6:
    I’m playing Bert. Long time since I played him. Last time was Block Constructed of Mirrodin where I played Witness with Echoing Truth, Crystal Shard, Troll Ascetic and he played some homebrew version that worked alike but with Auriok Salvagers, Scrabbling Claws into top8 and qualified.

Game1:
    I thoughtseize and see lands + FoW, 2 Counterbalance. So has an active Counterbalance and gets the SDT while I can’t find a green mana even though I’m drawing 2 every turn with Confidant. He is as well though. By the time I get my green mana I’m at 6 and he has 2 Confidants. Deed resolves! I block one Confidant and Deed during my turn. He has to much gas left in his hand and I lose.

In: 4 Choke, 3 Grip out: 1 Loam, 2 Shriekmaw, 1 Profane Command, 1 Grunt, 2 something.

Game2:
    Thoughtseize, drop Goyf, Grip kills Counterbalance, hit for 4. Next turn for 6 with Factory. He taps out for something, I drop Choke and win.

Game3:
    I have an openingshand of Bloodstained, Windswept, Grip, Factory, 3 Vindicate. I think about it but keep. He has the turn2 Confidant, pain! My factory stops it from attacking but he is drawing extra cards. 2nd Confidant comes down. I Vindicate. Lightning Angel, I Vindicate. Another Confidant, I Vindicate. He gets Counterbalance, top after I get a Confidant as well. I Grip but he has the 2nd one. Jitte comes down for Confidant so I’m forced to block. When he gets yet another Confidant I get down Grunt + Confidant to chump. He kills the Confidant, plows Grunt, attacks. I only have one out because of Counterbalance, Top. My sole Vindicate. I do not get extremely lucky, don’t draw it and I lose.

3-3-0 (8-7)

Eli has left after the 5th round because he was hungry. Mike dropped as well. JelleF ended 3-2-1, Wim 3-3-0 and Jelle went 2-3-1. It’s proven, we suck.

I make some trades and decide to playtest a bit against Johan Steurs playing Tempo Red ThreshThreshThreshThreshThresh. In the meanwhile his brother is collecting cards from my binders to buy. I win 2-1 and go upstairs to find the rest to leave. They are chatting a bit so I sit down. About half an hour later we leave for Pizza Hut.

Superhero Hamster
    Jun 2007
    Belgium

Re: [Report] Outpost Antwerp with TopRock

I would like to state that I was consistently seated above you...
    And that I was part of the pair that had enough brains to leave the crowded table ;)

The enchantress guy (Sander) clearly lacked experience, imo. He ran Blood Moon pre-board and had a tendency to nuke his own Sanctum with it. Without noticing. :s

I am happy you aced the mono-u match though.
    Suddenly! Pints of beer! Thousands of th~ ... Nope. Never mind.

Survivalist
    Sep 2007
    Netherlands

Yep this was Sander his first tournament so I can't blame him. Tho he was very enthousiastic and will be coming back more often

Superhero Hamster
    Jun 2007
    Belgium

That's always good to hear. But he should get some more play-testing under his belt for next time, it tends to help with the nerves ^^.
    Suddenly! Pints of beer! Thousands of th~ ... Nope. Never mind.

Eremobates inyoanus
    Sep 2006
    Corvallis, OR

Bringing Enchantress to your first tournament? That's ballsy.

Explains why he played rather slow :).
    Just tell him not to keep 8 card hands again!

Oh, and get Replenish.

Survivalist
    Sep 2007
    Netherlands

Yep I updated his list after the tournament. Told me he couldn't get his hands on replenish on time.

But yeah I also noticed the nerves.

Thread Information