Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Cascade Hypergenesis

Cascade Hypergenesis

Not sure if this topic has been covered or not, or if it's even viable. I just got this idea from Ben Blieweiss's article about the financial value of Alara Reborn. I don't have an exact decklist, but rather a shell that's been bouncing around my head for the last few hours.

4 Ardent Plea
    4 Demonic Dread
    4 Violent Outburst

4 Hypergenesis

4 Progenitus
    4 Angel of Despair
    3 Empyrial Archangel
    3 Sundering Titan
    3 Hellkite Overlord
    3 Akroma, Angel of Wrath

4 Simian Spirit Guide
    4 Elvish Spirit Guide

16 lands

Obviously this looks like trash, but the basic gist is turn 2-3 3cc Cascade spell for Hypergenesis, and just unload the most ridiculous monsters ever printed. This isn't the only way it could be run, since Hypergenesis can put lands, artifacts, and enchantments into play as well. This makes it so that many other "combo" options are available as well besides the dump the nastiest finishers ever into play. Obviously the way it currently is makes it pretty cold to Counterbalance with a land on top, but the deck seems pretty sick against most other strategies. The amount of customization that is within this shell is insane. You could have more blue fat creatures and be able to run Force of Will, since Ardent Plea can also be RFG to pay the cost. The fact that they you can run 12 3cc Cascade spells really helps give this deck a sense of redundancy. Anyways, its just an idea, but definitely seems like something worth looking into.
    Kenny Mayer

Wonderlust Viscount

Apr 2007
    Hartford, CT

Re: Cascade Hypergenesis

I'm pretty sure you need to defend the combo there. you lose to FoW and even Daze. Problem is that adding that, duress chant etc. stops the deck from working. Which makes me thing this is an extended deck. You lose ESG, and for that trade never have to face all that main deck hate. Also, Demonic Dread can't be turboed out turn one.

Alternativly, maybe it could use FoW and perhaps Foil of its own?
    LED, LED, Announce my intention to play Yawgmoth's Bargain...

Awesome Member
    Jan 2008
    Brookline, MA

Agreed, FoW and Misdirection seem like solid choices for this deck. Inkwell Leviathan should probably make the cut too, even if it wasn't blue to pitch to FoW and Misd.
    Last edited by sunshine; 04-25-2009 at 03:31 PM.

This is one of the most interesting ideas I've seen in a while. Mad props.

I agree that dumping big creatures is the way to go. There aren't really any expensive artifacts or enchantments that could win you the game. Maybe Enduring Ideal type stuff could get there, but not as fast as creatures can. All three of the cascade cards support the man-plan, too.

Anyway, here's my take on it:

4 Adrent Plea
    4 Violent Outburst
    4 Demonic Dread

3 Hypergenisis

4 Helkite Overlord
    1 Akroma, Angel of Wrath
    1 Spirit of the Night
    3 Magister Sphinx
    1 Razia, Boros Archangel
    2 Karona, False God
    1 Karrthus, Tyrant of Jund

4 Unmask

4 Elvish Spirit Guide
    4 Simian Spirit Guide

4 Geothermal Crevice
    4 Tinder Farm
    4 City of Brass
    4 Gemstone Mine
    4 Tendo Ice-Bridge

Explanations:

3 Hypergenisis: You don't actually want to draw it, but there needs to be one in your deck if you do. Maybe this could be 2.

Magister Sphinx: The idea behind the creature base is to win the turn you play Hypergenisis, although it will probably often have to wait until next turn. This guy is a 10-point swing. Definitely one of the guys you want to drop, but 2 of these is bad.

Karona, False God: He (she?) hits for 8 (5 power plus 3 on your other creature). That's about as big as it gets for hasty creatures. Legendary, so you don't want to see more than one. Doesn't play nice with Magister Sphinx.

Karrthus, Tyrant of Jund: No, I don't ever expect to steal dragons with this. Maybe it should be two of this guy and one Karona.

Tinder Farm & Geothermal Crevice: No real mystery here. I just think getting 3 mana on turn 2 is worth the risk of getting wasted. Getting a first turn sac-land wasted isn't as bad in this deck as it normally would be because it doesn't have any 1 or 2-drops.

Tendo Ice-Bridge: Hopefully, you'll only need colored mana once. I just didn't like the idea of Karona getting chumped by a spirit token. This could probably be some dual lands.

I really want to play Sneak Attack in here too... danger of cool things?

Wonderlust Viscount

Apr 2007
    Hartford, CT

I think that unmask and FoW are your two best options to defend the combo. This leaves the question, what U/B monsters fir the bill? Progenitus seems obv... what else. the new set has a few options, Sphinx of the Steel Wind, maybe... Thraximundar seems good. Garza Zol, Plague Queen from cold snap has haste, flies. Spirit of night seems obv. Haste I think is another defineing trait. you might only get 2 or three monsters. A swords and a sower could end all your fun. And that's main deck hate.

Insane Anarchists Get Mean
    Aug 2005
    NY State

Why not Eureka also? You really only need 2 Hypergenesis, Eureka gives you an out against Counterbalance.

Other creatures, artifacts, enchantments to consider:

Saproling Burst + Pandemonium (kill on the spot, you might actually be able to cast them also)
    Decree of Silence/Dovescape/Ritual of Subdual/Shared Fate (seriously!)
    Platinum Angel + Priviled Position
    Form of the Dragon
    Darksteel Colossus
    Duplicant
    Thraximundar
    Magister Sphinx ("10 you?" or "Oh shit I need some life!")
    Treachery/Confiscate
    Akroma's Memorial (probably not, but giving Progenitus/DSC haste seems ok)
    Street Wraith (cycles to find stuff, comes in off a Hypergenesis, doesn't cost 1 or 2 mana, any fatty cycler for that matter should be ok).
    Mindslaver
    Nullstone Gargoyle
    Possessed Portal

Feb 2004
    Clifton Park, NY

There is a guy that played an Eureka deck locally that revolved around a few things:

Eureka
    Wild Pair
    Kokusho
    Bogardan Hellkites
    Where ancients tread
    mana ramp and other utility creatures. (Tinder Wall, wall of blossoms, indrik stomphowler style stuff)

Deck was hilarious and actually kicked the shit out of the meta a few times by people who weren't prepared for it. Biggest problem, naturally, was if Eureka got countered you were pretty well screwed. But our metagame was very light in the blue dept.
    Team Albany: What's Legacy?

You cannot know the sweetness of Victory, without first dwelling in the agony of Defeat.

Insane Anarchists Get Mean
    Aug 2005
    NY State

Quote Originally Posted by Sims View Post
    There is a guy that played an Eureka deck locally that revolved around a few things:

Eureka
    Wild Pair
    Kokusho
    Bogardan Hellkites
    Where ancients tread
    mana ramp and other utility creatures. (Tinder Wall, wall of blossoms, indrik stomphowler style stuff)

Deck was hilarious and actually kicked the shit out of the meta a few times by people who weren't prepared for it. Biggest problem, naturally, was if Eureka got countered you were pretty well screwed. But our metagame was very light in the blue dept.

Pssssh... if you're gonna just straight up play Eureka (and not Hypergenesis), go balls to the walls and try for Nicol Bolas, Planes Walker + Doubling Season.

What about a Hypnox or two, to make sure Swords and ilk like that have to be top decked instead of held onto...

Also Iname as One? Weren't the power level eratta's removed on both of these right?

Neither of those cards received power-level errata or have had it removed. They both read "...if you played it from your hand..." so they wouldn't work here.

imo u should play a full set of Pillar of the Paruns, it can't be used for suspending Hypergenesis, but do we really need it? also a deck seems to be fast enough, so Tarnished Citadel seems to be ok too.

Leyline of the Void and Misdirection look strong. Cave-In or Pyrokinesis can be good also to deal with swarm decks. any ideas about other sb options?

The specimen seems to be broken.
    Dec 2008
    Sweden

Show and Tell? It's great with fatties in hand and can also be hardcasted.
    "Think of all we could learn from it! It's the chance of a lifetime! You must let me have it! It's a magnificent specimen!"

Scandinavian Master Legacy 2010

World champion 93/94 2013

I think the Cycling -> Living End approach to this sort of thing is stronger because you'll end up with more cards in hand, so you have room to field Force of Will, and possibly Foil.

You could, at minimum cut one of the three cascade cards and replace it with Show and Tell.

12 cascade spells are enough, especially when playing Street Wraiths. and Show&Tell has the same cost and worse effect, why to play it?

it seems to me a deck should look like:

2 Hypergenesis
    12 Cascade Spells
    8 Spirit Guides

0-4 Street Wraiths (can we a cut a couple of cascade spells playing this?)

X Multicolored Lands
    Y Fatties
    Z Protection (Fow, Unmask)

so X+Y+Z is equal to about 34-38, any ideas how to divide it better?

rufus, how are u going to fill ur grave so fast?

Wonderlust Viscount

Apr 2007
    Hartford, CT

could this be the combo deck that benefits from serum powder? discuss, test...

All hail BRAKES!
    Jun 2008
    Michigan

I'm pretty sure this deck actually needs to use Forbidden Orchard so that you can force your opponent to have a target for Demonic Dread.

Also, When it comes to dealing with Counterbalance, my gut goes towards Reverent Silence, but fitting Fetchlands + Green duals into the deck may suck, but perhaps not as much as I think it will.

Wonderlust Viscount

Apr 2007
    Hartford, CT

Here is the problem as I see it, "what is the god draw?"

Land, SSG, ESG, Violent Outburst, guy, guy, guy...

once you add unmask or FoW to that, you're playing bad reanimator.

Nov 2006
    Nijmegen, The Netherlands

Quote Originally Posted by TheCramp View Post
    Here is the problem as I see it, "what is the god draw?"

Land, SSG, ESG, Violent Outburst, guy, guy, guy...

once you add unmask or FoW to that, you're playing bad reanimator.
    No, because reanimator requires: Guy, Discard outlet and reanimate spell. This mechanism only requires the guy and the cascade spell. It's a pretty important difference.
    "Part of me belives that Barrin taught me meditation simply to shut me up."

-Ertai, wizard adept

http://solidarityprimer.proboards85.com/index.cgi

Plays green decks
    Nov 2006
    Portland

Quote Originally Posted by Bahamuth View Post
    No, because reanimator requires: Guy, Discard outlet and reanimate spell. This mechanism only requires the guy and the cascade spell. It's a pretty important difference.
    No. Buried Alive/Intuition + reanimation spell is 2 cards

Thread Information