Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why are Underground Seas so expensive?

Clergyman of Cool
    Mar 2009
    Daisy Hill Puppy Farm

Why are Underground Seas so expensive?

I'm inching closer to finishing my collection of dual lands, but I was wondering why Underground Sea ($45.95 RV, according to MOTL) was so much more expensive than even the other blue duals such as Tropical Island ($30.87), Tundra ($29.45), and Volcanic Island ($25.67). That's almost 50% more than the next most expensive dual!

Generally, things make sense from a supply/demand perspective, but in fact, according to DeckCheck's MVCs, Tropical Island (4650) and Tundra (3669) are significantly more played than Underground Sea (3070). Given that they have the same print run and rarity, I'm puzzled by this disparity.

Are Underground Seas just more sought after because they enable more archetypes? Do the popularity of Tropical Island and Tundra on MVC merely reflect the fact that UG(w) Threshold places so well in tournaments, and not their actual demand?

Whatever

Mar 2006
    L'Aquila, Italy

Re: Why are Underground Seas so expensive?

Underground Sea is waaay more played tha Trop. or Tundra in Vintage.
    Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity - Seneca, Roman dramatist

V V SEXY! V V
    Feb 2004
    NOVA!

Underground sea allows you to play both ancestral recall and yawgmoth's will, making it almost a necessecity for type 1.

doesn't afraid of anything
    Feb 2009
    in ur tournament, judgin ur gamez

Good luck finding them for that price, even. Playsets on eBay routinely go for around $200. Stores are selling them at $70 (!!!!!!!) for NM singles. It's ridiculous! I only just now managed to pick up a cheap-ish set from cardkingdom (although in VG condition rather than nm, but i'm not willing to sell a kidney to buy cards!).

Win or lose, it begins with...
    Mar 2007
    Milwaukee, WI

I was able to pick up a playset for $160, NM condition a couple months ago. It was awesome.

But I agree with quicksilver, the Vintage community almost requires U/B to go broken; Ancestral, Demonic Tutor, Yawg's Will, etc.

Awesome Member
    Jan 2008
    Brookline, MA

Each of my 4 seas I bought within the last year (varying condition but average EX), and didn't pay more than $30 for any one. You can find resonable prices if you're not too concerned about playing with NM duals.

Luck sack

May 2008
    Chicago

yeah I found NM seas for 40 a piece off of ebay within the last couple months. The value for them is definitely inflated by card stores trying to drive up prices before and after the GP. They aren't the most played dual either its just a common misconception that they are. Trops are because they can cast goyf and recall or in another format goyf and spell snare.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bardo View Post
    Public Service Announcement: To anyone considering taking a Burn deck to a tournament, let me tell you about this card they printed in Coldsnap. It’s called “Counterbalance” and the art looks fantastic in foil.

Serious Rider
    Oct 2005

On this note, I'd like to say how glad I am that I bought my playset a long time ago when they were around $30 apiece.

Team Info-Ninjas: Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.
    My Videos: Chiron Beta Prime, Flickr, Re: Your Brains
    Quote Originally Posted by Slay
    Man Kills Seven at popular gaming tournament, buries in backyard. "I was only trying to get thresh," he says.
    -Slay

Mar 2007
    Milwaukee, WI

Quote Originally Posted by irrelevant View Post
    They aren't the most played dual either its just a common misconception that they are. Trops are because they can cast goyf and recall or in another format goyf and spell snare.
    In Legacy, sure. In Vintage, uh, no (which was what quicksilver and myself were commenting on).

Having access to U/B is so much more important in Vintage where resolving an early Ancestral/Demonic Tutor/Necropotence/Bargain/anything else that's uber-broken in blue and/or black is far more important than having access to Tarmogoyf. Seriously, go check deckcheck.net, look at the control deck of choice right now, Tezzeret, and tell if what dual is the main one. The most prevelant combo deck, TPS, also runs a full complement of U. Seas.

Don't ping the hydra
    May 2007
    Spain

Underground Sea is the most expensive dual land because competitive magic players love playing crazy amounts of money for blue cards, no matter the format. 10$ for a playset of Remands, WTF?

Team Giancoli
    Sep 2007
    NOVA

No. Trop and Tundra are blue producers to.
    Team Giancoli. Rocking the mediocrity since 2008.

Clergyman of Cool
    Mar 2009
    Daisy Hill Puppy Farm

Quote Originally Posted by Elfrago View Post
    Underground Sea is waaay more played tha Trop. or Tundra in Vintage.
    Wow, I can't believe I totally neglected the Vintage scene, which I paid close attention to until they separated the two formats. This is probably the main reason, although I suspect that there are other (minor) factors, because I would expect Legacy to drive card prices more than Vintage, as the former seems to be the more popular format.

Dan
    Sep 2008
    NoVA

Quote Originally Posted by lordofthepit View Post
    Wow, I can't believe I totally neglected the Vintage scene, which I paid close attention to until they separated the two formats. This is probably the main reason, although I suspect that there are other (minor) factors, because I would expect Legacy to drive card prices more than Vintage, as the former seems to be the more popular format.
    Vintage players will pay more for cards, so sellers have no reason to lower prices when there's demand at current price levels.

Jul 2007
    Enfield, CT

I sold my playset of Mutavaults and Chameleon Colosusses (I got both playsets in draft) when they were worth a bunch during Lorwyn block season. I bought Polluted Deltas and U Seas off ebay both nearmint and had 20 or so dollars left in my paypal. Then I got them all signed when Rob Alexander came to our Shard Prerelease. Seems like a good deal.
    Still looking for FBB Lightning Bolts. German or Korean is preferred. PM me if you have them

Quote Originally Posted by Slay View Post
    Drunk texting is ballin'. Anyone can slur into a phone, but it takes a real man to fumble over tiny buttons to make a semi-coherent message and send it to someone.
    -Slay

Mar 2007
    Milwaukee, WI

Damn, just goes to show how retarded Standard gets sometimes. The chase rares of Standard rival the staples of Legacy/Vintage. $27-30 for an Elspeth? You could buy a dual for that. Or a fetchland and still have $10-12 left over. So sick.

Goblin Piledriver
    Jul 2008
    Netherlands

Quote Originally Posted by Arsenal View Post
    Damn, just goes to show how retarded Standard gets sometimes. The chase rares of Standard rival the staples of Legacy/Vintage. $27-30 for an Elspeth? You could buy a dual for that. Or a fetchland and still have $10-12 left over. So sick.
    Then again, UWb landstill runs Elspeth as well, as do some builds of Stax.
    Hello friend.

Buys bulk haterade
    Jul 2008

Seas are expensive solely because they're the most important duals in vintage, and vintage players have the most money to drop. That being said, you can still find good prices. I paid $30 each for my revised set and an average of $95 each for my fbb set. You just have to hunt ebay and make friends on motl.

Insane Anarchists Get Mean
    Aug 2005
    NY State

Keep in mind that casual players drive prices to. On something like an Underground Sea they aren't driving new sales, but they aren't going to trade or sell their decked Underground Sea because they know they won't see it again at a reasonable price (if you play casually without P9, and you've got your deck with Vampiric Tutor, Demonic Tutor, Counterspells and Brainstorms and were lucky enough to to get ahold of USeas at $20 a piece 7 years ago, would you trade them now at $45 a piece, or would you hold onto them?).

Blue and Black still have the most broken cards, making USea more valuable and it means people with them are less likely to trade them away (so even though the supply is theoretically the same, you have a bunch of people effectively making it smaller because they refuse to entertain offers for the supply they're holding onto, where as the same type of people with Tundras, Volcanics, and Trops would entertain offers).

Tom MacDonald
    May 2007
    Stoughton, MA

I remember buying my playset for $116...
    Team Hammafist
    Quote Originally Posted by Admiral_Arzar View Post
    What kind of fucked-up, drug-laden, alternate universe of faerie rape does this guy live in?

Jun 2008
    Hoorn, The Netherlands

I remember buying mine for €67,-. That's around $90,- I guess?

Thread Information