Page 123 of 262 FirstFirst ... 2373113119120121122123124125126127133173223 ... LastLast
Results 2,441 to 2,460 of 5231

Thread: [Deck] Canadian Thresh (a.k.a. RUG Tempo, Tempo Thresh)

We are lost. We can never go home.
    May 2011
    Noricum

Re: [DTB] Canadian Thresh (a.k.a. RUG Tempo, Tempo Thresh)

Okay I will give it a try, tell me what to play instead of my 4 Stifle. 3 Pierce 1 Burn or 4 Pierce?

Ill report back after a few days..lets see if it can surprise me.
    My articles here, here, here and here | My current list | Follow me on Twitter | Questions I answered.

Stomping blue decks with "dead" decks, as usual.
    Sep 2010

Stifle is just great in this deck. It just fits perfectly the tempo role of this deck.

If you see this card as just a Sinkhole, you're doing it wrong. Stifle is just good against fetchlands in the first three turns (decreasingly efficient, just to add). After that, it's targets are various. I've stifled Maze of Ith's activation, Annhilation triggers, even Stoneforge ETB trigger and Mom's ability.

Spell Pierce does a good job protecting your Delver/Goyf, and might catch some boring spells. But this deck's goal is to disrupt your foe's mana, while beating with something, and saving permission for important spells. This is not CounterTop, where you can afford to counter everything.

If you just Stifle a fetchland because you can, you're doing it wrong. You have to see what's going on in the board, and if people are trying to play arround it. It's perhaps the most skillful card in this deck. Without it, Wastelands and Dazes become much worse.

Moreover, Spell Pierce sucks against Maverick, as it has been stated here several times. You might catch a GSZ and a Swords, and that's pretty much it. It's better off sideboard against matchups it really matters (like Storm, for example).

PS: Why you guys stick with Surgical Extraction? Tormod's Crypt should be this deck's first and best graveyard hate. It deals with KotR like a champ.
    Let your Dredge 6 be: Narco, Narco, Narco, Bridge, Bridge, Dread Return

Oct 2004
    Earth

Quote Originally Posted by Vandalize
    Spell Pierce does a good job protecting your Delver/Goyf, and might catch some boring spells. But this deck's goal is to disrupt your foe's mana, while beating with something, and saving permission for important spells.
    More often than not a removal spell on your Delver/Goyf is the most important spell and the spell you need to counter.

Pithing Needle naming Vizzerdrix
    Jun 2009
    NYC

This deck is king again because of 1 card.

Delver.

An opponent who plays around stifle and daze, to stp your insect, will win the game.
    Spell pierce keeps this from happening.

When people run more lands, keeping mana open for stifle effectively time walks yourself.
    Spell pierce, on the other hand, is practically a hard counter for most removal spells --

and any other wincon you might care about, for that matter.
    Only posts when drunk.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Quote Originally Posted by Scordata View Post
    This deck is king again because of 1 card.

Delver.
    QF-MoFo-T
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Aug 2011
    Italy

So nobody doubts the necessity of Spell Snare and the choice is between Pierce and Stifle?

Oct 2004
    Earth

Quote Originally Posted by bilb_o View Post
    So nobody doubts the necessity of Spell Snare and the choice is between Pierce and Stifle?
    I do. My current maindeck counter suite is:
    4 Force of Will
    4 Daze
    2 Spell Pierce
    2 Counterbalance
    I haven't played Stifle or Spell Snare since some time before GP Amsterdam. I sometimes miss them. But Spell Pierce is more consistently useful. I have 2 more in sideboard.

ad nauseam blind
    Jun 2011
    circles within circles

I did..once. Then I started getting my ass handed to me by a mix of spells and creatures at 2cc. I even experimented with 3 each of fow/pierce/snare. In the end I returned to the tried and true sets with 3 snare. I just prefer having a (narrow but relevant) hard counter vs. daze 5-7 I guess. I think this is local meta dependent though since each has their merits.

Also I think im done toying with the new cards. They been ok when their good and really really bad when their not. Im now down to a single thunderous wrath as bolt #5 now. Sucks cause I had high hopes too.

May 2010
    Central Pennsylvania

For boarding against aggro, what is the correct card - rough/tumble or pyroclasm? I've seen lists go both ways.

ad nauseam blind
    Jun 2011
    circles within circles

Since you will likely only run one or the other I prefer pyroclasm. hitting flyers is more relevant across the spectrum now although the cmc of rough might occasionally matter and it doesnt hit delver either. If you include wrath effects I think clasm is the best option currently.

Jul 2010
    Plano, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by say no to scurvy View Post
    For boarding against aggro, what is the correct card - rough/tumble or pyroclasm? I've seen lists go both ways.
    What aggro deck are you talking about? Between Lightning and Forked Bolt, you should be able to handle any aggro deck without using stuff like Rough/Tumble or Pyroclasm. If Burn is that bad then run more Spell Pierce or board a Hydroblast or two.

Quote Originally Posted by say no to scurvy View Post
    Rough//Tumble. It doesn't kill your Delvers, Pyroclasm does.

Quote Originally Posted by Philipp802 View Post
    Tempo-lists run 12 creatures normally.
    Well tuned Tempo-lists run 11 creatures.
    DO NOT RUN MORE!

Maybe I am a bit old-fashioned but I would never ever cut Stifle and Snare. Why do you guys want to change so many things at an already working machine? My Counterusite is as stock as it can be:
    4 Force of Will
    4 Daze
    4 Stifle
    4 Spell Snare

2 Spell Pierce
    3 REB
    from the side

Thats it.
    I've been running playing with this mix

3 FOW
    3 Daze
    4 Spell pierce
    3 Spell Snare
    2 Stifle

I ended up cutting the thought scours from the deck and put 2 stifles back in their place. I understand it builds tempo but I wanted the denial package back in.

Quote Originally Posted by Awaclus View Post
    Rough//Tumble. It doesn't kill your Delvers, Pyroclasm does.
    I've play tested Rough//Tumble, Pyroclasm, and firespout, and I've come to the conclusion that Pyroclasm is the best all around.

The day you take Rough//Tumble to a fight with a bunch flying creatures is the day you realize it's not that good. The things we want to wipe with this deck are: Spirit Tokens, Bridge Tokens, Burn creatures, any other swarmy stuff. The big one that Rough//Tubmble doesn't do is Spirit Tokens. If you to dedicate four slots in your board to whipes, you could include Sulfur Elemental as well.

As for Firespout, it gives you the option of conditionally wiping the board, but at CMC 3, it's pricey, and it requires you to have some very good mana set, which isn't always possible with this deck.

Pyroclasm is a good all around board wipe, it doesn't kill an active Mongoose, or a Goyf, so we still can generally keep our tempo. It does kill delver, but even if you get a 2 for 2 out of it, and still have another creature on the board, it was well worth the tempo swing.

May 2011
    Noricum

I was playing at our little local tournament yesterday and finished 2-1, winning versus MonoB-Pox(!), UW CounterThopter and getting crashed by Maverick.

After this, even very very little tournament, I draw one simple fact as a conclusion. "Do not cut Stifles"
    Guys I wouldnt have been able to win vs Pox or CounterThopter without these Stifles.

I playtested Pierces and I did not like them. Sorry

Greetings
    My articles here, here, here and here | My current list | Follow me on Twitter | Questions I answered.

Oct 2004
    Earth

I was playing at our little local tournament yesterday and finished 2-1, winning versus MonoB-Pox(!), UW CounterThopter and getting crashed by Maverick.

After this, even very very little tournament, I draw one simple fact as a conclusion. "Do not cut Stifles"
    Guys I wouldnt have been able to win vs Pox or CounterThopter without these Stifles.

I playtested Pierces and I did not like them. Sorry

Greetings
    Good Pox lists have four meaningful targets (Wasteland) for Stifle, while Spell Pierce can target nearly all spells in a Pox deck. I suggest you test more.

Sep 2010
    Volgograd, Russia

Did you use sideboard like posted 2 pages back?

2 Tormod's Crypt
    2 Surigcal Extraction
    2 Spell Pierce
    2 Red Elemental Blast
    1 Pyroblast
    2 Rough // Tumble
    4 Submerge
    I am very interested in how did you side against maverick. I never doubht that submerge is good, but is it enough? And how was tarmo in this match?

Thx for answers in advance..

May 2011
    Noricum

My Sideboard was meta-optimized - the one posted before would be my sideboard for a big tournament.
    My side was:

1 Engineered Explosives
    3 Surgical Extraction
    2 Spell Pierce
    2 Red Elemental Blast
    1 Pyroblast
    3 Sulfuric Vortex
    3 Submerge

Why so many Vortex? Because I expected a lot of Stoneblade and Control-Decks. It worked well.

Yes I know Pox is a bad MU and Pierce might be better overall, but Stifle won me G1 and G2 due to stifling his 1st turn Fetchland. I know I should practice more, but this deck isnt a deck at all to be honest and I hope I wont come across this on bigger tournaments like GP Gent

Sideboarding-Plans (I used)

vs: Maverick:+ 3 Submerge + 3 Vortex +1 EE, -4 Stifle, -1 Spell Snare -1 Goyf, -1 FoW
    vs: Pox: +2 Spell Pierce +3 Surgical Extraction, -2 Forked Bolt - 3 Lightning Bolt
    vs: CounterThopter: +3 Surgical Extraction +2 Red Elemental Blast +1 Pyroblast +3 Vortex +1 EE, -4 Delver of Secrets - 4 Goyf -2 Forked Bolt - 2 Stifle

I practised the Maverick-MU so often and I thought I was quite sure how to play but I had bad luck at both games. Mull to 6/ Mull to 5 and no strong hands either... So well

Greetings

Sep 2010
    Volgograd, Russia

so u don't play Sulfur elemental?

May 2011
    Noricum

As Lingering Souls aren't that popular in my recent local meta I dont. For a wider meta I would play 4 Submerge and 2 Rough vs Maverick which is enough as long as I dont draw shit and mull bad.

Thread Information