Page 126 of 262 FirstFirst ... 2676116122123124125126127128129130136176226 ... LastLast
Results 2,501 to 2,520 of 5231

Thread: [Deck] Canadian Thresh (a.k.a. RUG Tempo, Tempo Thresh)

Re: [DTB] Canadian Thresh (a.k.a. RUG Tempo, Tempo Thresh)

Quote Originally Posted by Raggedjoe View Post
    2 Perish
    Wait ... what?

Anyone ever tested a list with 2 GSZ instead of the occasional random one?

Don't Tell Stacy
    Jul 2010
    Sioux City, IA

Quote Originally Posted by oRen View Post
    Wait ... what?

Anyone ever tested a list with 2 GSZ instead of the occasional random one?
    It gives you higher threat density against the mirror and control, but makes you worse against combo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Koby View Post
    My love for Valakut knows no bounds. It mise well read:
    Land - Super Duper Mountain
    When you play a land, LIGHTNING BOLT!
    Quote Originally Posted by EpicLevelCommoner View Post
    Strange as it may seem, this deck seems like the best place for Ruhan of the Fomori. A 7/7 with the right equipment will end games nightmarishly quick, and it comes with the perk of being blue to pitch to Force of Will if you draw into extra copies. And it wouldn't be too hard to protect him in counter-heavy build.
    Follow me on Twitter @RaNDoMxGeSTuReS

Pithing Needle naming Vizzerdrix
    Jun 2009
    NYC

This deck should never have a problem with burn. Just start countering their spells when you get around ten life. If they start burning your creatures, youve already won.
    Only posts when drunk.

Site Contributor

Mar 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA

Quote Originally Posted by Raggedjoe View Post
    Here's my current list.

4 Wasteland
    3 Tropical Island
    3 Volcanic Island
    2 Misty Rainforest
    2 Scalding Tarn
    2 Polluted Delta
    1 Flooded Stand
    1 Island

2 Perish
    Perish? Where's the Underground Sea? If you are going to splash black, would Massacre be better? Possibly Dread of Night instead of Sulfur Elemental? But I think going 4 colors puts way too much strain on the mana base.

I've personally been liking Rough//Tumble in the SB as a sweeper.

Site Contributor

Mar 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA

Quote Originally Posted by Scordata View Post
    This deck should never have a problem with burn. Just start countering their spells when you get around ten life. If they start burning your creatures, youve already won.
    Mono-Red is no problem for the deck assuming you're running enough Spell Pierces (with Stifle it's quite a bit harder/closer, though still winnable). The problem is against UR Delver, which is running a similar counterspell configuration and is actually probably favored. UR can afford to burn your Delvers, and if they get a quick start it's rather difficult to race them especially since they can force a Price of Progress through your counter-wall.

As for beating UR, you definitely want to try to land an early Tarmogoyf and keep a hand that can handle a t1 Delver/Goblin Guide. In the SB, Hydroblast/Blue Elemental Blasts wouldn't be a bad idea if you're expecting to see a fair share of red decks. Try to play around Price of Progress as much as possible by not dropping too many duals or at least keep Daze and/or Wasteland ready. Remember that you can "fail to find" a dual land when you crack a fetch if you really need to shuffle.

Pithing Needle naming Vizzerdrix
    Jun 2009
    NYC

Favored? Goyf > everything in their deck.

Save snare for POP. Stifle/waste helps keep daze relevant.. Stifle hits rift bolt, if they are running that. Just play the control game here - burn/counter their dudes, make them HAVE to burn your creatures, then send goyf in to clean up.
    Only posts when drunk.

Site Contributor

Mar 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA

Quote Originally Posted by Scordata View Post
    Favored? Goyf > everything in their deck.

Save snare for POP. Stifle/waste helps keep daze relevant.. Stifle hits rift bolt, if they are running that. Just play the control game here - burn/counter their dudes, make them HAVE to burn your creatures, then send goyf in to clean up.
    Goyf is only relevant if you get it early enough to defend/clock them. Playing him on turn 7 or whatever when you're already in single digits is usually too little, too late. You're not always going to curve out perfectly, and sometimes they might just have the counterspell for it. They also tend to play Submerge in the SB. Have you tested this matchup against a competent opponent with a decent list? It's no walk in the park. I'm not saying it's hugely favored for them, but it's definitely one of the harder matchups in my opinion.

Just some dude.
    May 2009
    Akron, Ohio, USA

Quote Originally Posted by wcm8 View Post
    I've personally been liking Rough//Tumble in the SB as a sweeper.
    This is what I would be playing. If I had to play 4c, I'd probably go all in and change up some more things, including adding City of Brass to the deck. But that's a whole other animal.

Maverick mirrors locally have gotten too inbred, I'm back on RUG.
    Delver enthusiast and avid practitioner of blind flipsmanship.

Follow me on Twitter: @AllSunsDawn

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sun View Post
    Maverick mirrors locally have gotten too inbred, I'm back on RUG.
    That being said, I took a list similar to Sherwin Pu's list and snuck into Top 8 at MTG Deal's cash tourney yesterday. Man it's fun running stifle-daggers on people's fetchlands >:D.

4 Nimble Mongoose
    4 Tarmogoyf
    4 Delver of Secrets

4 Lightning Bolt
    1 Chain Lighnting
    2 Forked Bolt
    1 Sylvan Library

3 Daze
    3 FoW
    3 Spell Snare
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder
    4 Stifle

4 Wooded Foothills
    2 Flooded Strand
    2 Polluted Delta
    4 tropical Island
    3 Volcanic Island
    4 Wasteland

SB
    4 Submerge
    1 Gilded Drake
    1 Ancient Grudge
    2 Spell Pierce
    1 Flusterstomr
    1 Pyroblast
    1 Force of Will
    2 Tormod'S Crypt
    2 Surgical Extraction

Round 1 - Elves (2-1)
    Round 2 - TES (0-2) ... FOW where art thou?
    Round 3 - Canadian Threshold (2-1)
    Round 4 - Maverick (2-1) *good G-d Submerge is OP*
    Round 5 - Dredge (2-0)
    Round 6 - ID
    Top 8 - chop chop chop, play it out for camera matches just so the camera guys doesn't feel like he wasted 2 hours setting up.

best part of the day - people being surprised that I'm playing Islands instead of Savannahs. Misinformation FTW.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Quote Originally Posted by wcm8 View Post
    Mono-Red is no problem for the deck assuming you're running enough Spell Pierces (with Stifle it's quite a bit harder/closer, though still winnable). The problem is against UR Delver, which is running a similar counterspell configuration and is actually probably favored. UR can afford to burn your Delvers, and if they get a quick start it's rather difficult to race them especially since they can force a Price of Progress through your counter-wall.

As for beating UR, you definitely want to try to land an early Tarmogoyf and keep a hand that can handle a t1 Delver/Goblin Guide. In the SB, Hydroblast/Blue Elemental Blasts wouldn't be a bad idea if you're expecting to see a fair share of red decks. Try to play around Price of Progress as much as possible by not dropping too many duals or at least keep Daze and/or Wasteland ready. Remember that you can "fail to find" a dual land when you crack a fetch if you really need to shuffle.
    What's your sideboarding plan vs UR delver? The deck goes off to fast when we don't answer their early delvers and goblin guide, but even after answering that, they can still land a grim lavamancer that will eat our delvers or turn into uncounterable burn in the late game. Seems like the best plan against them is to mull for a hand with Tarmogoyf and a few burn, but then again they also have main deck spell pierces if we attempt to burn their creatures early.

Site Contributor
    Aug 2006
    Arizona

Holy crap, Koby has joined the dark side. Grats on the finish. I may be taking RUG to the Invitational in Indy if I end up going, but who knows? Avacyn Restored is gonna throw things for a loop.
    Magic: the Gathering players in Arizona, click here!
    @mtgtwin1 on Twitter
    3 SCG Open Top 8s
    GP Denver 2013 Top 64
    GP NJ 2014 110th/4001
    AZMagicPlayers.com Legacy Series Tournament Organizer
    Random Brews/Decks Galore!

Just some dude.
    May 2009
    Akron, Ohio, USA

Welcome to the club, Koby ^^

Now tell me... did you ever blind flip a Delver? Did it feel good?
    Delver enthusiast and avid practitioner of blind flipsmanship.

Follow me on Twitter: @AllSunsDawn

Gosh, I dunno what I was thinking guys. Those Perishes are really Submerges.

Vs UR Delver and Burn, I generally don't side board anything. We have really good matchups (especially with me playing 3 Pierces md),though I have considered bringing in Extraction over Forked Bolt.

Aug 2010
    Seattle, WA

Quote Originally Posted by Ziveeman View Post
    Holy crap, Koby has joined the dark side. Grats on the finish. I may be taking RUG to the Invitational in Indy if I end up going, but who knows? Avacyn Restored is gonna throw things for a loop.
    I don't think much will change with avacyn restored personally but who knows.

the miracle decks are pretty slow and play some bad cards when they are not miracled.

The only one that is kind of scary is that wheel of fortune variant, but thankfully you can't float mana through the draw step and not all red rituals are instants.

oh I guess goblins becomes a thing again though, maybe?, with cavern of souls?

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sun View Post
    Welcome to the club, Koby ^^

Now tell me... did you ever blind flip a Delver? Did it feel good?
    It felt uber dirty, like I was playing a goddamn Standard deck. Nah, most of the time it whiffed on blind flips. I usually won with a thresh'd Goose after durdling around for a few turns. Also, Submerge is ridiculous.
    West side
    My Legacy stream

Hey so thresh did really well in this event with a few changes:
    http://manainfinito.com/articulos/le...lcl-2012-abril

1 green sun zenith with both cutting down on goyf.
    1 sylvan which some people have been playing here as well.
    and a few changes in the number of forked bolt and chain lightning.

do you guys thing this is correct (the cutting of the goyf)
    since he is "king" of the mirror. also with the addition of gsz i think having 1 ooze in the 75 has to be correct.
    Last edited by Rekk; 04-24-2012 at 04:33 PM. Reason: I spacccedd on putting the link

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Short video of the finals from MTGDeals' Cash tournament on 4/22/12. RUG mirror finals.

Linky
    West side
    My Legacy stream

Clergyman of Cool
    Mar 2009
    Daisy Hill Puppy Farm

Quote Originally Posted by Koby View Post
    Short video of the finals from MTGDeals' Cash tournament on 4/22/12. RUG mirror finals.

Linky
    Tournament report to follow?

How many people here have cut down to three forces MD? I have and so far I've really been liking it. Forcing more than twice over a game always seemed to hurt more than it really helped. I just keep the fourth one in my SB for the obvious matchups.
    Quote Originally Posted by jrw1985 View Post
    look at this thread! It's a bunch of people complaining about this set because there are TOO MANY PLAYABLE CARDS OH GOD NO NOT THAT!!!!!!!!

Jun 2004
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by JeroenC View Post
    How many people here have cut down to three forces MD? I have and so far I've really been liking it. Forcing more than twice over a game always seemed to hurt more than it really helped. I just keep the fourth one in my SB for the obvious matchups.
    +1

My current counter suite consists of

4 Daze
    4 Stifle
    3 Force of Will
    3 Spell Snare
    2 Spell Pierce

and I am liking it so far.

MD Pierce saves board space and are very nice to have in quite some Matchups. Maverick might be an exception since there aren't a lot of targets, but G1 we are an underdog here anyway if we don't draw into a very strong tempo package.

I am keeping the 4th Force in the board, though, in case I run into very fast combo.
    Conan, what is best in life? - To crush your enemies, see them driven before you... and to hear the lamentation of their women!

Thread Information