Page 134 of 262 FirstFirst ... 3484124130131132133134135136137138144184234 ... LastLast
Results 2,661 to 2,680 of 5231

Thread: [Deck] Canadian Thresh (a.k.a. RUG Tempo, Tempo Thresh)

Aug 2011
    Italy

Re: [DTB] Canadian Thresh (a.k.a. RUG Tempo, Tempo Thresh)

Are you dropping the Stifles Sunday Funday? I can understand the more aggro approach to this deck but I can't feel comfortable compromising from the disuprtion base. It's a delicate balance before turning the deck into UR Delverish fast creatures, burn and counters. There's something more to RUG than to Zoo decks with blue and to UR delver decks and it's important not to lose that edge while trying to improve it. Yet, I'd like to discover how Apes would turn out.

because g/w brings in choke am i suppose to leave in force of will? I've been discussing this with people and haven't come to a conclusion yet. it seems like i would wanna force knight thalia and choke, but 2-1ing myself feels so awful.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Why are you guys so concerned about Choke? You run Daze (resets the Island), all your spells cost 0-1 mana, and already maintain tempo advantage with an early Delver.

If anything, don't tap out so often early and leave Spell Pierce mana up.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Pray for Rain
    May 2010
    Philadelphia, PA, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Koby View Post
    Why are you guys so concerned about Choke? You run Daze (resets the Island), all your spells cost 0-1 mana, and already maintain tempo advantage with an early Delver.

If anything, don't tap out so often early and leave Spell Pierce mana up.
    I don't understand why people are worried about a 3 mana enchantment that doesn't affect the board all that much.

+1 Koby
    Matt Bevenour in real life

thinking of bringing this list to starcity worcester this sunday.

decided to cut 1 volcanic for a taiga to play around surgical extraction and 1 fetchland for an island to play around wasteland. also cut my 1 of dismember for a 3rd forked bolt. i love sylvan library and am wondering other peoples opinions on it

1 island
    1 taiga
    2 volcanic island
    3 tropical island
    4 misty rainforest
    4 scalding tarn
    4 wasteland

4 nimble mongoose
    4 delver of secrets
    4 tarmogoyf

1 sylvan library

4 brainstorm
    4 ponder
    4 stifle
    3 spell pierce
    3 daze
    3 force of will

4 lightning bolt
    3 forked bolt

sideboard:
    4 submerge
    3 sulfur elemental
    2 scavenging ooze
    2 pyroblast
    1 sulfuric vortex
    1 tormod's crypt
    2 flex slots

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Quote Originally Posted by dagoblinguy View Post
    sideboard:
    4 submerge
    3 sulfur elemental
    2 scavenging ooze
    2 pyroblast
    1 sulfuric vortex
    1 tormod's crypt
    2 flex slots
    You will do fine against fair decks, and probably the mirror. You're going to suffer against any deck trying to kill you before you get a chance to attack. Keep that in mind when finding those last 2 slots.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Just some dude.
    May 2009
    Akron, Ohio, USA

Basic Island seems bad right now. I'm testing/playing a Breeding Pool, which I will be rocking tomorrow at a much smaller event. Plays around Surgical Extraction the same, still casts cantrips and occasionally bounces to Daze. Remember, we are predominantly a deck that relies on blue, not green/red. Cantrips are what fuels the deck.

The spell configuration I'm playing from yours is actually the same minus one change, as it turns out. +1 Force of Will, -1 Forked Bolt. Still figuring out the sideboard at this point. I feel like I struck out at Columbus last weekend (deck reg error and mulligans) so I'll stick with the same sideboard for now. No point in posting it without real results, your metagame will vary.
    Delver enthusiast and avid practitioner of blind flipsmanship.

Follow me on Twitter: @AllSunsDawn

Quote Originally Posted by bilb_o View Post
    Are you dropping the Stifles Sunday Funday? I can understand the more aggro approach to this deck but I can't feel comfortable compromising from the disuprtion base. It's a delicate balance before turning the deck into UR Delverish fast creatures, burn and counters. There's something more to RUG than to Zoo decks with blue and to UR delver decks and it's important not to lose that edge while trying to improve it. Yet, I'd like to discover how Apes would turn out.
    Yes I'm dropping the stifles. My spell base is:

4 brainstorm
    4 daze
    4 force of Will
    4 fire/ice
    3 spell pierce
    4 lightning bolt
    2 ponder

Yes, I know, just 2 ponders. Like I said, I have adopted a more aggro strategy as any combo deck is getting tougher and tougher to beat and you always need an early clock. Mongoose is obviously very good against control decks as they take a while to establish their board and shroud is crucial. Against fair creature decks, you have fire/ice and bolt to dispatch of early critters. Against combo, fire/ice can be used to ice a land essentially buying us more time while we beat them with dudes (also as Force of Will fodder). Currently, I agree that fire/ice is underrated and needs more testing. I think the underlying factor that makes it good is that it's a burn spell that's blue.

Hi guys

I'd have some probably 64+ ( could be 100+ though) tourney and gonna play RUG
    List is as following

// Lands
    4 Volcanic Island
    3 Misty Rainforest
    4 Wasteland
    4 Tropical Island
    3 Wooded Foothills

// Creatures
    4 Tarmogoyf
    4 Delver of Secrets/Insectile Aberration
    4 Nimble Mongoose

// Spells
    4 Lightning Bolt
    4 Daze
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder
    4 Force of Will
    4 Stifle
    3 Spell Pierce
    1 Dismember
    2 Thought Scour

// Sideboard
    SB: 2 Krosan Grip
    SB: 4 Pyroblast
    SB: 2 Flusterstorm
    SB: 3 Submerge
    SB: 2 Surgical Extraction
    SB: 2 Mind Harness

I expect meta will be smth like this
    Lets say for aroung 80 ppl ( numbers approx)
    7-9 Delver Blade ( pretty much exact list as in top4 BOM)
    5-6 Sneak
    5-6 TES ( mb 1 or 2 ants)
    2-3 Reanim
    2-3 Dredge
    5-7 Maverick
    5 Loam + Junk
    5 Mirror
    3 Elves
    3 Burn
    3 UR Burn
    3 Team America ( heavy)
    5 UW Miracle
    5 Merfolk
    3 Goblins
    around 5 counterbalance decks ( including thopters etc)
    + some random like 1-2 MUD, 1-2 lands, mb bant etc for the rest

So i think
    a) Forked Bolt isnt the card to play at all
    b) flusterstorm is insane, basically who has one in any sort of mirror or against combo - wins
    c) no sulfur elementals, coz no significant number of mavericks
    d) mind harness seems not that good, what would you suggest? crypt isnt necessary, rough/tumble kills geese, eartquake does it too
    vortex costs RR...
    e) and finally - i wouldnt ever play without thought scour, because in that case geese just dont work, at all
    f) Grip cant be countered, so its by far the best to deal with batterskull. at that time 3 mana shouldnt be the problem

Can you help me get this round? I'm a bit stuck

ps. mb pithing needle somewhere? tops, sneak, vial etc..

I would play UR delver in that meta all day, and pack some revoker/vortex in the board. Goose looks terrible in that meta because even the delver blade deck isn't reliant on the swords to control the board. At the very least, I support the cutting of snare, it's awful right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Telperion View Post
    I would play UR delver in that meta all day, and pack some revoker/vortex in the board. Goose looks terrible in that meta because even the delver blade deck isn't reliant on the swords to control the board. At the very least, I support the cutting of snare, it's awful right now.
    Its fine, but at 1st i want to play RUG ( its some kind of test, nvm), and 2nd - there are no snares here ;p And at last - i hate UR in any way i can possibly hate smth, lol

Pray for Rain
    May 2010
    Philadelphia, PA, USA

Top 4'd a 6 round local today at Alternate Universes Blue Bell outside of Philadelphia with RUG. 3 forked bolts, and an ooze over goyf were good all day. Did not miss the snares.

Rd1: Beat Mark with UR delver
    Rd2: Beat Mono green cloudpost/eldrazi despite not registering wasteland (opponent top 8'd)
    Rd3: Loss to Will with Maverick (opponent top 8'd)
    Rd4: Beat Matt Elias with RUG
    Rd5: Beat Eric Pigeon with Dredge
    Rd6: Loss to Avery with Nic Fit (opponent top 8'd)

Avery wanted to play it out to help a friend. My breakers put me in the top 8 regardless.

Top 8: 2 RUG delver, Maverick, Nic Fit, Aggro loam, Elf combo, Sneak and Show, Mono green cloudpost

Top 8: Beat Avery with Nic Fit. He had some very awkward hands/mulligans and delver+pierce+stifle sealed it.

Top 4 split.

Thoughts: Pierce+stifle=good. Gilded drake similarly amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Tammit67 View Post
    Top 4'd a 6 round local today at Alternate Universes Blue Bell outside of Philadelphia with RUG. 3 forked bolts, and an ooze over goyf were good all day. Did not miss the snares.

Rd1: Beat Mark with UR delver
    Rd2: Beat Mono green cloudpost/eldrazi despite not registering wasteland (opponent top 8'd)
    Rd3: Loss to Will with Maverick (opponent top 8'd)
    Rd4: Beat Matt Elias with RUG
    Rd5: Beat Eric Pigeon with Dredge
    Rd6: Loss to Avery with Nic Fit (opponent top 8'd)

Avery wanted to play it out to help a friend. My breakers put me in the top 8 regardless.

Top 8: 2 RUG delver, Maverick, Nic Fit, Aggro loam, Elf combo, Sneak and Show, Mono green cloudpost

Top 8: Beat Avery with Nic Fit. He had some very awkward hands/mulligans and delver+pierce+stifle sealed it.

Top 4 split.

Thoughts: Pierce+stifle=good. Gilded drake similarly amazing.
    Congrats on the finish. What was your list btw?

Tested with UW Miracle, I had no Stifles (3 Pierces in place of it) and ran 3 Apes, 4 Geese, 4 Goyf and 4 Delvers.

Based on the testing I can infer the following:

1. Two versions of Miracle UW were tested. One with the CBTop with no Snaps and no Ponders, and Snapcaster and Ponder version with no CB Main. In the CBTop version, I had like a 3:1 win loss ratio in my favor every 4 games pre board. But when my test- mate switched to the Snapcaster version, the ratio was 2:2 every 4 games. The "body" that SCM brings to block dudes is really a huge thing, plus the ability to flash-back StP.

2. A resolved Elspeth represents an uphill climb. RUG deck can survive a resolved JTMS but not a resolved Elspeth.

3. A turn 1 top is almost always a must-counter. Although I havent tested the Needles bec we only tested pre-board.

4. In cases where Elspeth resolved, Forked Bolt did its job in clearing away them tokens but I am still unsure if I would re-up the Forked Bolts (for the Nth time).

5. Kird Ape gives the deck speed which is important, but not that NECESSARY against a slow deck like UW Miracle.

I will test with that deck again and I am going to try -3 Apes, +3 Stifles and see which one is better suited for that SCM version, which was an even 2:2 MU.

Pray for Rain
    May 2010
    Philadelphia, PA, USA

Quote Originally Posted by JJ-JKidd View Post
    Congrats on the finish. What was your list btw?
    4 trop
    3 Volc
    7 Fetch
    4 Waste

4 Goose
    4 delver
    3 goyf
    1 ooze

4 stifle
    4 brainstorm
    3 ponder
    4 force
    4 daze
    3 pierce
    4 Lightning bolt
    3 forked bolt
    1 dismember

SB:
    4 Grafdigger’s cage
    1 Ooze
    3 submerge
    1 grudge
    2 Gilded drake
    2 Sulfur elemental
    2 Pyroblast

Against miracle, while top is a problem, I usually am able to let it go if I can't daze/pierce it. Forcing it is too much IMO

Site Contributor

Jul 2007
    Europe

Is this a common thing to have so few or even 0 Snare? I want to test a lot in a few days and I would like to know what kind of build expect during major tournaments.

Stomping blue decks with "dead" decks, as usual.
    Sep 2010

Quote Originally Posted by ultra_a View Post
    f) Grip cant be countered, so its by far the best to deal with batterskull. at that time 3 mana shouldnt be the problem.
    Ancient Grudge much?
    Let your Dredge 6 be: Narco, Narco, Narco, Bridge, Bridge, Dread Return

Pray for Rain
    May 2010
    Philadelphia, PA, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Deviruchi View Post
    Is this a common thing to have so few or even 0 Snare? I want to test a lot in a few days and I would like to know what kind of build expect during major tournaments.
    Recently they have been cut in a lot of builds in favor of pierce and more burn. Your mileage may vary

Aug 2011
    Italy

Quote Originally Posted by Deviruchi View Post
    All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

Just some dude.
    May 2009
    Akron, Ohio, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Tammit67 View Post
    Recently they have been cut in a lot of builds in favor of pierce and more burn. Your mileage may vary
    Yeah, I'm playing 4 Stifle and 3 Spell Pierce and liking it as well. I might be crazy, Matt, but I think I want 4 Brainstorm, 4 Ponder all the time.
    Delver enthusiast and avid practitioner of blind flipsmanship.

Follow me on Twitter: @AllSunsDawn

Pray for Rain
    May 2010
    Philadelphia, PA, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sun View Post
    Yeah, I'm playing 4 Stifle and 3 Spell Pierce and liking it as well. I might be crazy, Matt, but I think I want 4 Brainstorm, 4 Ponder all the time.
    The 4th ponder would be very, very welcome. I literally cut it since it was the first card I found while almost handing in my list. It is a mistake to cut.

Thread Information