Page 174 of 262 FirstFirst ... 74124164170171172173174175176177178184224 ... LastLast
Results 3,461 to 3,480 of 5231

Thread: [Deck] Canadian Thresh (a.k.a. RUG Tempo, Tempo Thresh)

Just some dude.
    May 2009
    Akron, Ohio, USA

Re: [DTB] Canadian Thresh (a.k.a. RUG Tempo, Tempo Thresh)

Quote Originally Posted by atropos View Post
    How exactly does Reality Ripple exile a Batterskull for the rest of the game? Could you explain the mechanics, I'm not quite sure how that would work.
    It gets exiled with the Equipment, but tokens cease to exist when they leave the battlefield. It's interesting tech but I think it's too narrow.
    Delver enthusiast and avid practitioner of blind flipsmanship.

Follow me on Twitter: @AllSunsDawn

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sun View Post
    I hate to say it, but I'm falling into the BUG camp as of now. I took Deathrite TA to my locals last night and left feeling pretty good. Not sure if I'm going to stick with RUG or not going forward.
    Say it isn't so! You're one of the reasons I started playing the deck. Is RUG really that much worse than TA/BUG in the current meta?

I've been having some luck locally with Dreadnaughts instead of Goyfs. I'm running 3 Naughts, and 2 Goyfs with a trickbind instead of one of the Spell Pierces. I have a win a mox tourney later in the month and I figure that will be one of the big tests of the deck.
    Here is my list if anyone has any advise.

4x Delver of Secrets
    4x Nimble Mongoose
    3x Phyrexian Dreadnaught
    2x Tarmogoyf

1x Sylvan Library
    1x Trickbind
    4x Lightning Bolts
    2x Chain Lightning
    4x Brainstorm
    4x Ponder
    4x Daze
    4x Stifle
    2x Spell Pierce
    4x Force of Will

3x Volcanic Island
    3x Tropical Island
    3x Scalding Tarn
    3x Misty Rainforest
    1x Flooded Strand
    1x Polluted Delta
    4x Wasteland

Site Contributor

Mar 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA

Dreadnought seems especially bad when the format is full of StP AND Abrupt Decay...

I'm playing RUG for about a Year now. I did have some success with it and in the current meta, i'm starting to think that stifle is no longer what the deck wants. There has been a group that thought like that for a while now, including really good players like brad nelson, matt costa, and vidugiris. I know that brad has been playing lists with stifle, too, but if you watch the video that has been posted on scg shortly, you can see that he feels unconfortable playing the list when he is sideboarding.
    I like the theory behind not playing stifle. RUG is a deck that takes its advantage in playing only 2-3 lands und keeping the rest in hand for later brainstorms, whereas other decks have to play several more lands to get its gameplan going. If this plan works we are getting virtual cardadvantage.
    If our plan now is to start stifling there fetchlands we are giving up on this advantage. I know that many games when playing stifle end with your oponent not having enough lands in play to play all the good things in his hand but there are at least the same amount of games where you cannot afford to hold up on stifle since you dont have enough lands to put preasure on the board and keep mana up. I know that stifle is great against miracles but your gameplan against a deck like miracles is usually to keep 1 threat on the board and save your other threats for later. After sideboarding sulfuric vortex really shines in this matchup. Another Matchup where the stifles really shined is esper-blade. the ability to stifle a living weapon trigger or to keep them of mana was usually to crucial spot in this matchups but espcially after sideboarding the list without stifles really is on a big advantage. Against all other decks i didnt really miss the stifles until now.
    Here is my current decklist:
    4 delver of secrets
    4 nimble mongoose
    4 tarmogoyf
    4 brainstorm
    4 ponder
    3 thought scour
    4 force of will
    4 daze
    3 spell pierce
    1 spell snare
    4 lightning bolt
    1 fire/ice
    1 dismember
    4 wasteland
    4 tropical island
    4 volcanic island
    4 wooded foothills
    2 scalding tarn
    1 misty rainforest

Sideboard:
    3 submerge
    2 sulfuric vortex
    2 rough/tumble
    2 ancient grudge
    2 surgical extraction
    1 grafdiggers cage
    1 pyroblast
    1 red elemental blast
    1 life from the loam

i know that playing a list without stifle is a little strange at the beginning but it has it advantages. I really suggest anyone playing rug should try it at some point.

regards
    Patrick

Site Contributor
    Aug 2006
    Arizona

So this is the list I am planning to take to SCG Invitational:

Creatures
    4 Delver of Secrets
    4 Nimble Mongoose
    3 Tarmogoyf
    1 Scavenging Ooze

Spells
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder
    4 Force of Will
    4 Lightning Bolt
    4 Stifle
    3 Daze
    3 Spell Pierce
    2 Spell Snare
    1 Forked Bolt
    1 Sylvan Library

Lands
    4 Wooded Foothills
    4 Polluted Delta
    3 Tropical Island
    3 Volcanic Island
    4 Wasteland

Sideboard
    3 Submerge
    2 Sulfuric Vortex
    2 Krosan Grip
    2 Tormod's Crypt
    1 Grafdigger's Cage
    2 Grim Lavamancer
    2 Pyroblast
    1 ???

The last SB slot - debating between Flusterstorm or Divert. Thoughts? Leaning toward Divert because of Abrupt Decay but it also seems a little situational.. Divert can't counter a Show and Tell like Flusterstorm but still fights in a counterwar.
    Magic: the Gathering players in Arizona, click here!
    @mtgtwin1 on Twitter
    3 SCG Open Top 8s
    GP Denver 2013 Top 64
    GP NJ 2014 110th/4001
    AZMagicPlayers.com Legacy Series Tournament Organizer
    Random Brews/Decks Galore!

Sep 2011
    Honolulu, HI

Envelop? If you are running 14 counterspells main plus 2 Pyroblasts in the board, I don't think you need this slot to be an extra counterspell.

If you aren't running Dismember main, I think you should run the 4th Submerge in the board. You don't have many outs to a resolved KotR or Tombstalker, and I feel like those decks are on the rise.

I'm questionable if you need 2 KGrip in the board. With only 6 lands, it's hard to run 2 KGrip (because you'll want to bring it in against decks other than UW- plus, vs. UW, you already have 2 Pyroblasts).

I'm also questionable about the main deck Ooze. It could be good vs. Deathrite decks, but it's usually too slow.

Personally, I would cut a Grip and add a Submerge and a 3rd Pyroblast.

Site Contributor
    Aug 2006
    Arizona

Yeah, I've been debating where a Dismember goes. I was thinking of replacing 1 Spell Pierce for the Dismember which would also allow for a counterspell to be in the SB.

2 Krosan Grips may seem like a lot, and I agree, but I feel like Counterbalance (which is probably going to be very prevalent at the Invitational) is going to be pretty big. In fact, I was running -1 Forked Bolt, +1 Tropical Island to make up for the number of 3 costs in the deck. I had a Vendilion Clique in the ??? slot, so 19 land was pretty justifiable, but without Clique, I'm not so sure. Perhaps I should go back up to 19 land if I do want to run the 2 Grips. I like the Forked Bolt for the expected Goblins/Deathrites I'll be encountering. Maybe I should just skimp on Sylvan? Ugh. I want it all!

I've actually went down on a Submerge because of the lack of KotR decks in the metagame but yeah with BUG making a comeback perhaps I should just make it a 4th Submerge again.

And the Ooze is there to provide a little of utility in the mirror match and aggro decks. A little mana intensive sure, but I've been playing with him for awhile and he suits my playstyle. Makes G1 vs. Dredge a little better too.
    @mtgtwin1 on Twitter
    3 SCG Open Top 8s
    GP Denver 2013 Top 64
    GP NJ 2014 110th/4001

Sep 2011
    Honolulu, HI

Agreed. I played with Ooze for a while, too. I really liked him, especially against the Aggro match-ups like Goblins because he provided needed life gain and he became a big body.

It wouldn't surprise me if UW decks started running Wasteland. Previously, they were splashing R to combat the Omni-Tell match-up (for Pyroblasts out of the board), so they couldn't run Wasteland. However, if I were a UW mage, I would be testing a build with Wasteland and Rest in Peace. With that in mind, the extra land and the 2nd Grip could be very valuable. You could do what Mark did and keep your land count at 18, but drop to 7 fetches + 7 duals.

Abrupt Decay kind of wrecks Counterbalance, so I would think twice if I was going to play Counterbalance. Although, UW is usually well-represented at SCGs, especially Invitationals. Dismember isn't that great vs. Goblins because it comes at too great a price. Rough // Tumble is very good. Chain Lightning may also be worth a shot. Personally, I switched my Forked Bolts to Chain Lightnings and I've been happy with the switch.

I think Junk may be on the rise again. It did finish 2nd two SCG's ago. I wouldn't worry about KotR from Maverick, but rather from Junk.

Spell Snare is very good at stopping Rest in Peace, Counterbalance, Hymn to Tourach, Tarmogyf, Stoneforge Mystic - it might be worth upping the count to 3.

I would think BUG would keep combo in check, but you know there will always be somebody there trying to fight uphill and rocking TES, ANT, or Omni-Tell. Maybe Clique is a good catch-all. It's good vs. combo and miracles.

In response: Snapcaster Mage
    Feb 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Water_Wizard View Post
    Agreed. I played with Ooze for a while, too. I really liked him, especially against the Aggro match-ups like Goblins because he provided needed life gain and he became a big body.
    This is wrong thinking. We are the aggro deck against Goblins and need to kill them before they stabalize. A grindy card like ooze to "gain life in order to survive" does't do anything if they keep casting ringleaders, SCG, Krenko's... You need to kill them before their late game inevitability starts to matter. Sure, in theory they have a faster clock (lackey into haste-lord into piledriver) but you should never keep a hand which cannot deal with lackey.
    Currently playing: Elves

Not a Member
    Jul 2006
    Germany

Quote Originally Posted by catmint View Post
    This is wrong thinking. We are the aggro deck against Goblins and need to kill them before they stabalize. A grindy card like ooze to "gain life in order to survive" does't do anything if they keep casting ringleaders, SCG, Krenko's... You need to kill them before their late game inevitability starts to matter. Sure, in theory they have a faster clock (lackey into haste-lord into piledriver) but you should never keep a hand which cannot deal with lackey.
    And that's exactly what Ooze is doing: Swinging for more and more damage while getting life to widen the gap even more. Whether your opener can deal with a Lackey or not is a different question entirely. Unless you cut a burnspell for Ooze ofc, which would be worth it still.
    TS Crew

Nov 2011
    Denver, CO

I just wanted to chime in re: Forked Bolt vs. Chain Lightning. I personally see no reason to run Chain Lightning. There is currently no x/3 that I always want to kill and if I am running additional burn in that space it is for aggro matchups. Against aggro decks Forked Bolt offers the chance for a two for one but more importantly, I think it gives you +1 damage to the dome more often than Chain Lightning will. I feel like I am burning out X/1's more frequently than I am sending my burn to the face. Against decks where Forked Bolt/Chain Lightning are just going to the dome, they are coming out in G2/3 anyway so the extra damage is hardly relevant. Forked Bolt just does so much work against the decks where you want it, I just wouldn't run anything else in that slot if I need the additional removal.

re: cutting Tarmogoyfs and Sylvan Library. Library has been really good to me, however I know that my impression of it may be biased because the games I remember are the ones where I resolve it and win. The games where it rots in my hand probably just don't stick out as much in my mind. I have felt like 4 Tarmogoyfs is sometimes too many, especially if you aren't seeing much Tribal/Aggro. However I don't know if I would go with less than 3 because it still is the most efficient beater for the mana and we run very few win conditions as it is. I don't think there are currently any other options for creatures that are really worth maindecking but I am hoping that Gatecrash will provide a boost for either R/G or U/G they way that RtR helped G/B.

Also, is playing less than 4 Daze in this deck wrong? I was checking out the 2nd place list from this tournament and thought the list looked pretty sweet. 4 Force/4 Stifle/3 Pierce/3 Snare/3 Daze is a pretty robust counter package and I like that you don't have to give up the flexibility of Spell Pierce to also accommodate the power of Snare.

re: Ooze. I just don't know how other people are ever getting this card to work for them. It is pretty easy for any deck with the ability to do so to keep us off of green mana. I think that Tarmo is almost always a superior choice simply because we just don't play enough lands nor have enough extra mana to really abuse Ooze.

Stackbuilder

Mar 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Shugyosha View Post
    And that's exactly what Ooze is doing: Swinging for more and more damage while getting life to widen the gap even more. Whether your opener can deal with a Lackey or not is a different question entirely. Unless you cut a burnspell for Ooze ofc, which would be worth it still.
    It seems you completely misunderstood catmint. Ooze doesn't provide you with a fast clock, it's a card for the mid- to lategame. In the Goblin MU you cannot count on defeating the opponent if you slowroll with Ooze. You have to be fast, or you will drown in Goblins while he laughs at your lifegain attempts.

itsJulian.com - Legacy Videos
    Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

To be honest, I don't see Ooze doing anything in the Goblins matchup. It's super low, more easily cycled-away than Goyf and requires much more setup. Just playing a 2/2 for 2 on turn2 is going nowhere in the Goblins matchup. Considering how much mana you have to pump into Ooze to even compare to Goyf, you're kinda losing the match to a single resolved Mogg-War Marshall. MWM also blocks Tarmogoyf like a boss, but that's far less severe since Goyf only costs 2 mana to be big. Having said that, the creature I want most against Goblins is Delver. Fucking chump blockers.

The lifegain is close to irrelevant.
    The seven cardinal sins of Legacy:
    1. Discuss the unbanning of Land Tax Earthcraft.
    2. Argue that banning Force of Will would make the format healthier.
    3. Play Brainstorm without Fetchlands.
    4. Stifle Standstill.
    5. Think that Gaea's Blessing will make you Solidarity-proof.
    6. Pass priority after playing Infernal Tutor.
    7. Fail to playtest against Nourishing Lich (coZ iT wIlL gEt U!).

Site Contributor
    Aug 2006
    Arizona

Ooze helps to fight their grind-game. A lot of the time they just attack with everything and whittle down your life total turn by turn until you're just overwhelmed. With an Ooze in play, they can't do that because every time you chump, you are also making some of their unblocked creatures useless because you are just getting the life back. Yeah, it gets killed by Incinerator, but so does the creature we want the most against them (Delver). If they use their Tarfires and Incinerators early on the Delvers, as they often should, Ooze should come in unchecked and dominate the game.
    @mtgtwin1 on Twitter
    3 SCG Open Top 8s
    GP Denver 2013 Top 64
    GP NJ 2014 110th/4001

Stackbuilder

Mar 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Julian23 View Post
    To be honest, I don't see Ooze doing anything in the Goblins matchup. It's super low, more easily cycled-away than Goyf and requires much more setup. Just playing a 2/2 for 2 on turn2 is going nowhere in the Goblins matchup. Considering how much mana you have to pump into Ooze to even compare to Goyf, you're kinda losing the match to a single resolved Mogg-War Marshall. MWM also blocks Tarmogoyf like a boss, but that's far less severe since Goyf only costs 2 mana to be big. Having said that, the creature I want most against Goblins is Delver. Fucking chump blockers.

The lifegain is close to irrelevant.
    fullack.

@Ziveman
    Dominate against over 9000 chumpblockers? I don't think so.

In response: Snapcaster Mage
    Feb 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Ziveeman View Post
    Ooze helps to fight their grind-game. A lot of the time they just attack with everything and whittle down your life total turn by turn until you're just overwhelmed. With an Ooze in play, they can't do that because every time you chump, you are also making some of their unblocked creatures useless because you are just getting the life back.....
    Maybe there was an odd game and/or bad goblin player so you remember ooze to be good. But think about it: If I am a gobo player and on the offense against you I only run my creatures into your ooze if I can surely kill you (within 1-3 turns). Otherwise if you don't threaten my life total, I just wait to cast some more uncounterable matron/ringleader/SCG/Krenko,...

Concerning Goyf-count: I am also in the camp of 4 Goyf beeing a bit clunky. I play 3 since ever and never felt to be threat light. The library is a Sideboard card for me vs. control.
    Currently playing: Elves

Nov 2011
    Denver, CO

Quote Originally Posted by Ziveeman View Post
    The last SB slot - debating between Flusterstorm or Divert. Thoughts? Leaning toward Divert because of Abrupt Decay but it also seems a little situational.. Divert can't counter a Show and Tell like Flusterstorm but still fights in a counterwar.
    How did you do at the invitational? I am thinking of playing a list similar to yours but swapping the numbers of Pierce and Snare. I don't want to drop Pierce completely as G1 Planeswalkers are still a problem, but Snare hits enough relevant things to be a 3-of.

Sep 2011
    Honolulu, HI

Did Caleb really run a 62-card list?

I guess he just couldn't cut those Thought Scours.

http://sales.starcitygames.com//deck...p?DeckID=51714
    "Never argue with a fool, people might not know the difference."

I'm curious about the what everyone's thoughts are on the "correct" number of counterspells in the deck. I've seen lists that range from 12 - 17 counterspells make top eights in the last few months.

For those that run between 12 - 14: what are you filling those extra slots with and why are you choosing those cards over more counterspells?

For those that run between 15 - 17: why are you running so many counterspells over other potential utility cards?

*For reference, I'm counting Stifle as a counterspell.

Site Contributor
    Aug 2006
    Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by apistat_commander View Post
    How did you do at the invitational? I am thinking of playing a list similar to yours but swapping the numbers of Pierce and Snare. I don't want to drop Pierce completely as G1 Planeswalkers are still a problem, but Snare hits enough relevant things to be a 3-of.
    I didn't do all that well. 4-3 in both the Legacy portion and Legacy Open. I got a bye in the Legacy portion of Day 2 because I dropped all of my Day 2 Standard matches LOL. Placed 75th out of the ~200 people that attended the Invitational, so just out of the money.

Day 1 -
    Esper Stoneblade - 1-2
    RUG Delver - 0-2
    Esper Stoneblade - 2-1
    UW Miracles - 2-0

Day 2 -
    UG Enchantress - 0-2
    Hive Mind - 2-1
    Combo Elves - 2-1

Legacy Open
    Elves - 2-0
    Shardless BUG (Gerry Thompson) - 0-2
    Goblins - 0-2 (both games I mulliganed to 5 and didn't stand a chance)
    RUG Delver - 2-0
    Sneak Show - 2-0 (Killed a Griselbrand with Dismember & forcing him to block!)
    UW Rest in Peace - 2-0 (opponent got a game loss for being late and he never resolved a spell through double Delver in g2 so this match doesn't really count)
    Burn - 1-2
    Dropped at that point because I was exhausted after a whole weekend of Magic.

I removed a Grafdigger's Cage from the SB as well, so with the two extra slots I put in a Divert and a Vendilion Clique.

I only faced a BGx deck once, so it wasn't as useful as it could have been, but I did blow out an Esper Stoneblade opponent by redirecting a Swords to Plowshares to his Stoneforge Mystic from my Tarmogoyf. I also saved my Delver of Secrets once from a Lightning Bolt, so that seemed pretty sweet from what I saw. I wasn't the only person running Divert though, there were plenty of UGx decks running it to fight Abrupt Decay.

As far as Spell Snare goes, I like it, but it's pretty bad versus Show and Tell decks. I like it as a two-of if you're expecting to face a mix of Stoneblade and Show and Tell.
    @mtgtwin1 on Twitter
    3 SCG Open Top 8s
    GP Denver 2013 Top 64
    GP NJ 2014 110th/4001

Thread Information