Page 224 of 262 FirstFirst ... 124174214220221222223224225226227228234 ... LastLast
Results 4,461 to 4,480 of 5231

Thread: [Deck] Canadian Thresh (a.k.a. RUG Tempo, Tempo Thresh)

Site Contributor
    Aug 2006
    Arizona

Re: [DTB] Canadian Thresh (a.k.a. RUG Tempo, Tempo Thresh)

Quote Originally Posted by lavafrogg View Post
    God I love that izzet charm.

What are you aiming to kill with the dismembers? I have always found them to be a good board card if you are into that kind of thing. What is the advantage over forked bolt, fire ice or even more izzet charms?
    Opposing Tarmogoyfs mostly. I did kill a Griselbrand with it once too :D
    Magic: the Gathering players in Arizona, click here!
    @mtgtwin1 on Twitter
    3 SCG Open Top 8s
    GP Denver 2013 Top 64
    GP NJ 2014 110th/4001
    AZMagicPlayers.com Legacy Series Tournament Organizer
    Random Brews/Decks Galore!

Batterskull token:

A highly recommended play :-) and no one uses Dismember in that way. Plus: Goyf, Tombstalker, Shaman, Thalia..all creatures of the format that FB cannot hit. But if you are afraid of the life loss and only 3 Goyfs in the list you can beef things up by playing 1 Dismember and 1 Tarfire.

Hey Guys, I am following this thread for quite a while and enjoy reading it daily (btw thx to beddecksplayer for the idea with needles in the sb, my opponents were so surprised in the tournees I attended ;) )

So every once in a while I come in a situation like this:

You have the perfect Hand, like Stifle, Delver, Force, Bolt, 1 random card and a Ponder plus exactly one Land.

It is the first game against my opponent and I dont know what he plays. Would you keep it? And if, would you play Delver turn 1 or ponder for the hope of another Land.

Everytime I am in a situation like that, I keep the hand with the most strange feeling and fear of a opposing turn 1 Wasteland. Furthermore I always start with a Delver, because i think creating Tempo is important.

How would you guys decide?

Regards,
    Blitzkreuz

banned

Jul 2013
    black metal bed room

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzkreuz View Post
    Hey Guys, I am following this thread for quite a while and enjoy reading it daily (btw thx to beddecksplayer for the idea with needles in the sb, my opponents were so surprised in the tournees I attended ;) )

So every once in a while I come in a situation like this:

You have the perfect Hand, like Stifle, Delver, Force, Bolt, 1 random card and a Ponder plus exactly one Land.

It is the first game against my opponent and I dont know what he plays. Would you keep it? And if, would you play Delver turn 1 or ponder for the hope of another Land.

Everytime I am in a situation like that, I keep the hand with the most strange feeling and fear of a opposing turn 1 Wasteland. Furthermore I always start with a Delver, because i think creating Tempo is important.

Regards,
    Blitzkreuz
    Hello Blitzkreutz, welcome onboard! :)

I like the Needle and I'm a big fan and proponent of it. Nice thing is that it stops several DRS at once and unlike removal, it stops their future draws. Bad thing is that it may be removed, but well... better Needle than Goyf as we all agreed. ;)

On your question - it's pretty hard to tell, but I'd definitely wouldn't lead with Delver.
    Either you keep Stifle mana ready for Waste/fetch, or you should immediatelly Ponder for another land.
    Delver alone does very little in this scenario, and if they'll cut you of your only land, the game will be over pretty fast.

Turn 1 Land --> find land and start your game on turn 2

Thanks for the fast replies :)

But you two would definitely keep such a hand? Even at the risk of finding no further Land with Ponder?

Yep as RUG Delver nearly always wins if you can keep
    the full hand without mulligans. RUG Delver is not a mulligan friendly deck. Your cantrip action will get you a good hand. So unless the starting hand is not 4 lands or no lands always keep if it is 1 land plus cantrip or 2 lands. Even the 4 land hand can be kept if you have cantrips in your opener.

banned

Jul 2013
    black metal bed room

Also, mulliganing away such a pretty seven just to open a Wasteland-only or zero-cantrip hand? No thanks, never!

Oct 2013
    usa, ohio

has any thought of running 1 of each blue fetch land and 4 wooded foothills to play a kind of mind game with people? just a thought

Capitalization and punctuation are required when posting on these boards. Please use them in the future. Thanks. -zilla

banned

Jul 2013
    black metal bed room

Quote Originally Posted by deadend View Post
    has any thought of running 1 of each blue fetch land and 4 wooded foothills to play a kind of mind game with people? just a thought
    Depends.
    If you play solely in lgs where everybody knows you, it won't help. For a bigger tournament you may try it, because it doesn't hurt. "Strand, go" or "Foothills, go" is the least Stifle-telegraphing opening ever* and with Foothills you may even trick them into thinking that you're piloting Jund, Elves/Goblins/burn... or even Zoo.
    But mostly this doesn't matter. Ppl are used to these tricks.

*) Except for Swamp, One With Nothing, go. This leaves no doubt that you're not going to Stifle anything.

Sam S
    Dec 2011
    Newmarket, ON

Every combination of fetches have been conceived to give the RUG player an edge. But since this is the Tempo deck, the jig is up real quick with Turn-1 Delver, Mongoose or stifle (Thresh's best three turn-1 plays)

Thanks for the fast replies :)

But you two would definitely keep such a hand? Even at the risk of finding no further Land with Ponder?
    The hand is definitely a keep, and I would start with fetch for volcanic - delver. If RUG does not apply pressure, it's a dead man walking. I'd rather take the risk of being wasteland-locked for some turns than have the certainty of lose a full turn of pressure.

If you look at my list (I posted it earlier today) you'll notice that it's exactily as you suggested :D

me: wooded foothills, go.
    him: fetch, crack...- BAM, stifled into game 2. it happens sometimes, and it feels soooo nasty :D

Btw mind tricks and stuff are the sub-theme of my RUG, as I play 2 thought scour, a snapcaster and a tarfire to surprise the opponent in addition to the off-color-fetchlands trap that I could never miss ;)

Oct 2013
    usa, ohio

Quote Originally Posted by Blaze22 View Post
    If you look at my list (I posted it earlier today) you'll notice that it's exactly as you suggested :D

me: wooded foothills, go.
    him: fetch, crack...- BAM, stifled into game 2. it happens sometimes, and it feels soooo nasty :D

Btw mind tricks and stuff are the sub-theme of my RUG, as I play 2 thought scour, a snapcaster and a tarfire to surprise the opponent in addition to the off-color-fetch lands trap that I could never miss ;)
    ah sorry i missed your post XD and on another note i do tend to change places on were i play so only a few people know what i'm playing and there people who don't tell others whose playing what so that's all ways good. I was just surprised more people at bigger events don't do it like you said in the quote it can be pretty bad to go foothills in to stifle also this line of play can make them think your playing a weird home brew. so it can just mess with there mind and they have to over think what you might be playing
    Last edited by deadend; 11-06-2013 at 10:36 PM. Reason: fix

Jun 2011
    Arcadia, CA

1. how do you guys beat BUG decks?

Whats the best way to SB against it with a standard deck, with spellsnare and forked bolt.

The only way i can win is if i deny mana with stifle and wastelands and loam.

2. whats the best way to board against Miracles?

Oct 2013
    usa, ohio

Quote Originally Posted by KobeBryan View Post
    how do you guys beat BUG decks?

Whats the best way to SB against it with a standard deck, with spellsnare and forked bolt.

The only way i can win is if i deny mana with stifle and wastelands and loam.
    kill/counter there drs/wasteland there lands/stifle there fetchlands or cascade tiggers and the last counter on a suspend ancestral vision

Capitalization and punctuation are required when posting on these boards. Please use them in the future. Thanks. -zilla

Site Contributor
    Dec 2010
    Houston, Texas, USA

stifle there fetchlands or cascade tiggers and the last counter on a suspend ancestral vision
    I assume you know this, but for those who don't, be careful about how you do this.

Stifling the last counter coming off will only delay the draw for a turn.

Instead, stifle the trigger that allows it to be played, leaving it forever exiled.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    You don't get to play the most powerful cards in the format and then bitch when someone finally says no. You also don't get to bitch that it's not fun when someone finally tells you no instead of voyeuristicly watching you masturbate with Cantrips.

Apr 2009
    NEPA

Quote Originally Posted by Sasan View Post
    Batterskull token:

A highly recommended play :-) and no one uses Dismember in that way. Plus: Goyf, Tombstalker, Shaman, Thalia..all creatures of the format that FB cannot hit. But if you are afraid of the life loss and only 3 Goyfs in the list you can beef things up by playing 1 Dismember and 1 Tarfire.
    Playing 1 Dismember and 1 Tarfire would be counter productive in using the Dismember on a Goyf

That is right. Although I don't know if that anti-synergy happens too often. But yeah two Dismembers and a Izzet are perhaps the way to go when it comes to removal spells.

It is situations like this that probe really shinnes, yes it does not happen always. But just the information would let you know exactly how to play, instead of a sub-optimal play that you just picked on a hunch. Does he have fetches or wasteland? Does he Bolt to remove you delver on turn one? etc

Site Contributor

Aug 2012

Mike Flores has: http://www.starcitygames.com/article...ore-Games.html

Thread Information