Thread: How to build a solid collection on MTGO?

How to build a solid collection on MTGO?

I recently downloaded MTGO, and I'm actually really enjoying it. The problem is, I don't have a whole lot of money. I've done a couple drafts, but they haven't nearly paid for themselves. So, I guess the question is self-explanatory: is there a science to building a respectable collection on MTGO?

Re: How to build a solid collection on MTGO?

If you are good at drafting you can just win more and more packs, keeping what you need for the next draft and selling the rest. Another option is to spend a ton of time spamming chat channels with buy lists and then reselling at slightly inflated prices, It is easy enough but is a huge time sink.

Team Info-Ninja.

If you act now we'll ship you an extra order of ShamHawks. THATS 8 ShamHawks FOR $19.99, you'll spend that much on falcons every month anyway.

Mar 2009
    Coon Rapids, MN

you have to be pretty dang good to go infinite drafting. What you have to ask yourself is what do you want to use MTGO for.

If you want to draft, keep drafting and try to improve your skill. Your collection will grow from the cards you don't sell off to minimize your losses.

If you want to practice specific formats (Standard, Extended), then just buy the cards you want and go nuts.

If you want to play for fun, look into some of the alternate formats like pauper or edh.

Honestly, modo is a huge money sink, but for some people its the only (or only convienient) way of playing magic. It's enjoyable - but it's _very_ easy to waste more money than you think on it.

If there was some way to cube draft on it however - I would be all over that like white on rice.

On a related topic, the pauper format is dirt cheap and is one of the most fun formats of magic I have ever played. You can seriously buy every card for every deck for like 25-30 dollars tops.

Team Info-Ninja.

If you act now we'll ship you an extra order of ShamHawks. THATS 8 ShamHawks FOR $19.99, you'll spend that much on falcons every month anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick676 View Post
    On a related topic, the pauper format is dirt cheap and is one of the most fun formats of magic I have ever played. You can seriously buy every card for every deck for like 25-30 dollars tops.
    This is the other issue... I have no idea how to work the buying and selling of cards. I'm honestly completely lost on that regard.

You'll need to buy some tickets from the wizard store, then go through the endless lists of classifieds. Specifically for pauper I usually look for the 12-20 cards for 1 tix ads. Also you can search by card name in the classifieds.

Team Info-Ninja.

(' ' '\( 0 ,o)/''')
    May 2004
    Northern Virginia

If you want to go infinite on the drafting, always go for the 8-4 bracket. If you're good, you'll win more packs on average. If you go 4-3-2-2 you can tread water for a while, especially if you pick up money cards, but you'll sink eventually.

You just have to get really good at drafting, but it's a good way to improve those skills. Which also help in Constructed.

I also posted a deck that absolutely destroys in Classic Vanguard in the Casual/Alternate Format Forum that can be built for less than 10 tix.
    For my confessions, they burned me with fire/
    And found I was for endurance made

Quote Originally Posted by TheInfamousBearAssassin View Post
    If you want to go infinite on the drafting, always go for the 8-4 bracket. If you're good, you'll win more packs on average. If you go 4-3-2-2 you can tread water for a while, especially if you pick up money cards, but you'll sink eventually.

You just have to get really good at drafting, but it's a good way to improve those skills. Which also help in Constructed.

I also posted a deck that absolutely destroys in Classic Vanguard in the Casual/Alternate Format Forum that can be built for less than 10 tix.
    I saw that, and that was the reason I downloaded MTGO in the first place. The problem is, I can't figure out how to use the classifieds. Can you buy vanguards on MTGO?

RawR Bitch
    Sep 2007
    Norwich, CT

Buy tixs and trade with "bots" to get the vanguards. You find the bots in the classified section of the trade tab on modo.
    Co-Founder of Team Awesome - I heard Randy Buehler say a while back that good players give themselves the most number of turns to find the answer.
    The Source on MTGO - Predator8785 and RockOut
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    Women come and go, turn one protection is forever.

Thread Information