Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Playing more focused

Hold on! I have a 12/12
    Mar 2007
    Germany

Playing more focused

Lately I've had a problem with playing magic:

I just can't play focused for an entire tournament. In my last few big legacy tournaments I have an average of more than one game per tournament lost by a play mistake that should have been obvious, just because I'm not focused enough.

What do you guys do to remain focused for an entire tournament?

Cabal Therapist
    Nov 2007
    Akron, OH

Re: Playing more focused

Caffeine with a slightly empty stomach.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeggi View Post
    How would Nitewolf have said this?... P_R went over the line. But it was about naming cats. Also, Anus Mittens is a good name for a cat.
    Quote Originally Posted by MMogg View Post
    "Casual sex, NO Touching/Licking/Sucking/Groping/Fondling/Riding/Tickling/Binding/Quitters/Italians. Play Fast, Be Polite, Have Fun."

Sure as hell sounds like fun.

Nov 2006
    Nijmegen, The Netherlands

I have the same problem playing Solidarity as well. My solution so far has been playing a or more tournament(s) with another, slightly easier deck. I played Tempo Thresh last tournament, which I can play pretty well on auto-pilot, although it's still pretty though sometimes. I can go on auto pilot with Solidarity as well, but I know that will cause me to make some, although not many, crucial mistakes.
    "Part of me belives that Barrin taught me meditation simply to shut me up."

-Ertai, wizard adept

http://solidarityprimer.proboards85.com/index.cgi

Dutch Legacy Champ '08

Oct 2006
    The Netherlands, Nijmegen

I can stay pretty well focused in a tournament. I just really want to win. I play ANT and experience helps, but also when I combo I always count my mana/storm at least 3 times before I actually go off. Sleep/food/drinks are not a factor in my play, I can play excellent with 3-4 hours sleep, no breakfast and no water. Although I usually take some caffeine just to make sure. I can't really say anything but having an enormous drive to win helps.
    Team Nijmegen

Hella fuckin' balls to the wall awesome
    Mar 2008
    Maryland

I read every card in my hand every turn. It seems super boring, and it is, but when you look over the board state, read your hand, and consider basic cards that the other guy could have that might screw you, it can really change the way you play. Plus, I'm heavily medicated on various things that help alot.
    Team Unicorn: We're horny...get it?

Quote Originally Posted by Ewokslayer View Post
    You might want to go to a hospital. It appears you cracked your head open.

You are leaking stupid all over the internet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihil Credo View Post
    I masturbated on that picture of your cat.

Simple Jack Daniel's
    Apr 2009
    San Diego, CA

If I'm playing at a small local tournament, I build my deck when I get to the site. I've had the problem before of preparing for a tournament (before I had a car and could carry a five-row around, I'd have to build a deck at home and keep it in my locker at school) and not wanting to play whatever I'd pre-built when I got there. I do much better if I'm running something I'm in the mood to play.
    I try to do a similar thing for larger tournaments. It's often quite constructive to play decks you anticipate facing so you know how they tick; sometimes I'll find a groove while running one or two of them, and I'll try to have the cards ready to play whichever one I wake up wanting to play. This is a little more difficult, since you want to not make an ass of yourself at a big event if you can help it, but I do better when I'm having fun. I also try to keep sight of the fact that I'm playing a game, and as such it should always be fun even if my fun costs me results.

Obvious answer: drop Solidarity.
    Less obvious answer: don't overeat(small breakfast, no snacks, small dinner, one afternoon snack for allday tournament), don't undereat(you need a breakfast and dinner at least). No alcohol, absolutely no alcohol. If during a tournament (Magic or Poker) anybody would offer me a beer or anything of the like, I would refuse- no matter how bad or good I'm doing. Coke is probably the best thing. About halfway through the thing, if necessary, I tend to find the cheapest kind of Red Bull I can find (hate Coffee) and knock it down.

Legacy Inept

Oct 2005
    France

The mistakes I do in tourneys usually happen at the beginning, when I'm still not "in the game". Once I'm in, I'm in.

Not playing Solidarity?

Alcohol the night before and a mid-tourney joint. Some sort of pizza/italian/mexican after the event. My biggest problem when playing combo decks is indecisiveness due to overanalyzing plays so I miss certain time windows. The drugs help a lot.

Plays green decks
    Nov 2006
    Portland

Have fun? You are making it sound as if you are bored which may be the problem. Take a break from a certain deck may help.

Brad Herbig

Basically I wouldn't play Solidarity for bigger tournaments due to the complexities of playing it. You need to be on your game for it, or, at least for me, you won't be able to play it as well.

Feb 2004
    Clifton Park, NY

Quote Originally Posted by beastman View Post
    Plus, I'm heavily medicated on various things that help alot.
    I can see the headline now...

Magic: the Gathering infiltrated by performance enhancing drugs!!! Film at 11.
    Team Albany: What's Legacy?

You cannot know the sweetness of Victory, without first dwelling in the agony of Defeat.

Feb 2008
    Leiden - Netherlands

As big a paradox as it might sound, I play the best and make the least mistakes when I'm the most relaxed and care the least. In the beginning I'm always focused on winning, but a couple of games into the tournament is all it takes for me to have fun and not care about the prizes at the end of the Top8. Just sit back and relax.

What I did in the past, didn't do last tournament (and that cost me a game), and am going to do again starting the next tournament is putting my Lifecounter on top of my deck. This forces me to reconsider the beginning of my turn in terms of triggers (Confidant, Ichorid, w/e) and costs (Masticore for example) before I draw a card. Take your time when it's your turn. Alternatively you could put a dice on top of your deck. For example, if you have to remember to put Ichorids into play ánd dredge instead of draw, put a "2" on top or w/e.
    This message has been deleted by Nightmare. Reason: Boo fucking hoo

Jun 2006
    Germany

For me drinking a lot helps to concentrate. When I'm playing smaller tournaments that don't take very long (or writing a simple test in school) water is enough. When I am playing larger tournaments or when I was in my A-Level exams I drink a lot of Cola. But in general drinking a lot is important and furthermore you're having some breaks from whatever you are doing all the time when you go to the restroom between the rounds.

And for me it is just the other way round. When I don't care I don't play very well because I'd rather do something cool than figuring out the optimal play in this situation. Furthermore I play much faster when I don't care because... well I don't care and therefore make more mistakes.

Mar 2009
    Coon Rapids, MN

I'll echo the slightly hungry + caffeine sentiment. Just don't overdo the caffeine - you want to be energized, not freaking out.

That's what I pulled last tourney, and it did well for me.

Also, make sure you aren't getting bored/worn out by your deck. If you're really having problems focusing, it might be time for a chance of pace, at least for one tourney.

Hostile to humans

Mar 2008
    Moscow, Russia

Well, playing (long) tourneys is like doing my usual work (I'm reinsurer in the most papered country, so I make a LOT of fucking documents every day). Long time sitting and thinking, not very fresh air, some dudes smoking (I hate the smell of nicotine).

My outs for this shit are the same as for my daily work: sleep no less than 8 hours every day, don't eat too many fastfood, do morning exercises (3 km run is the best).

On the tourney I try to go outside the club between rounds, to run a little, well, to move my ass (I do the same during my lunchbreaks before eat something). Physical exercises help to feel your organizm with oxygen, reset your stressed brain and to play better Magic .
    Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way.

RawR Bitch
    Sep 2007
    Norwich, CT

I normally try not to eat during tournaments. Run off adrenaline from victory to victory.

Also, playtest playtest playtest. If you have played the deck a million times you should know how most games are going to and all your play mistakes should have been made in testing so that you know.
    Co-Founder of Team Awesome - I heard Randy Buehler say a while back that good players give themselves the most number of turns to find the answer.
    The Source on MTGO - Predator8785 and RockOut
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    Women come and go, turn one protection is forever.

Playing solidarity on MWS because I love to masturbate.
    Aug 2008
    Arkansas

only time i ever placed top 8 at anything higher than a PTQ, I am drinking.

Playing sober I make a play mistake it brings my whole game down 2 notches since I am down on myself about it the whole time, drunk I don't care if I make a mistake and am usually just having fun, now I am not saying ripped about to pass out drunk but like 2 or 3 shots just buzzed with a red bull drunk. Because I mix whiskey and red bull in my flask

With the edge on like that I am focused but not High strung worrying about everything, and i always make sure I eat good meals. Because nothing worse than sitting down for a semi finals and being hungry.

Honestly if you make a mistake while playing do not let your opponent know you did, act like you did just what you meant to do. Magic is a game of mentality as well as luck and skill.
    Join Team Short bus We have all the special People, We allow helmets at our tables.

Quote Originally Posted by Ertai's Familiar View Post
    Personally I ... find MWS to be as fun as running a cheese grater down my ballsack.

explosive
    Feb 2006
    Germany - RLP

I was more focused in the past I believe where I was not that "bad loser". I played quite consequently and when I made a mistake, I laughed.

But today I start shouting and go on tilt when I lose due to misfortune - or a mistake - and then my concentration for the rest of the tournament is gone.

But I think the December Hassloch is the best example of what can enhance your play. Just take a look at the 2 guys in the finals:

Stefan "spiritofthewretch" Czolk with like 3.xx permille of alcohol runing through his veins and Daniel "Adan" Scherer. I was in a bad medical state (sore throat and inflamed tonsils) but doped with antibiotics (they really made it possible that I could enjoy my Schnitzel during the break).
    Team SPOD
    <Der_imaginäre_Freund> props:
    Adan for being the NQG God (drawer)

Thread Information