Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [Goyfless] Final 4

Playing solidarity on MWS because I love to masturbate.
    Aug 2008
    Arkansas

[Goyfless] Final 4

Join Team Short bus We have all the special People, We allow helmets at our tables.

Quote Originally Posted by Ertai's Familiar View Post
    Personally I ... find MWS to be as fun as running a cheese grater down my ballsack.

RawR Bitch
    Sep 2007
    Norwich, CT

Re: [Goyfless] Final 4

Did you post deck lists yet?

Congrats on top 4 guys.
    Co-Founder of Team Awesome - I heard Randy Buehler say a while back that good players give themselves the most number of turns to find the answer.
    The Source on MTGO - Predator8785 and RockOut
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    Women come and go, turn one protection is forever.

Serious Rider
    Oct 2005

Quote Originally Posted by rockout View Post
    Did you post deck lists yet?

Congrats on top 4 guys.
    All of the decklists are in the top8 thread.

edit - Also, I threw that bracket together pretty hastily, I'll see if I can get a better one going.
    Team Info-Ninjas: Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.
    My Videos: Chiron Beta Prime, Flickr, Re: Your Brains
    Quote Originally Posted by Slay
    Man Kills Seven at popular gaming tournament, buries in backyard. "I was only trying to get thresh," he says.
    -Slay

Feb 2007
    Chapel Hill, NC

Hey, isn't the bracket missing my name in two locations?

(aww, now that I typed it I'll loose next round...)
    Last edited by The Wes; 05-28-2009 at 07:25 PM. Reason: for truth
    Team <spectacular

Quote Originally Posted by The Wes View Post
    Hey, isn't the bracket missing my name in two locations?

(aww, now that I typed it I'll loose next round...)
    So begins the trash talk...

Feb 2007
    Chapel Hill, NC

Hey, this entire tourney has been missing out on some sweet trash talk. Might as well start now.
    Team <spectacular

I may be able to play this weekend. For future opponents, my time zone is PST. What time works for you, TheWes? No guarantees, yet.

The specimen seems to be broken.
    Dec 2008
    Sweden

Will someone post the entire top 8 on deckcheck later? Would be cool if I finally get a deck in there :P

Also, good luck in the final 4s!
    "Think of all we could learn from it! It's the chance of a lifetime! You must let me have it! It's a magnificent specimen!"

Scandinavian Master Legacy 2010

World champion 93/94 2013

Quote Originally Posted by elof View Post
    Will someone post the entire top 8 on deckcheck later? Would be cool if I finally get a deck in there :P

Also, good luck in the final 4s!
    Deckcheck doesn't do sections for Non-sanctioned formats. This doesn't really belong on there.

They have the 32 deck two man tourny up though..

Serious Rider
    Oct 2005

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Shakuras View Post
    They have the 32 deck two man tourny up though..
    Right, but that was Legacy. This whole tournament is an experiment to see what would happen if Goyf weren't legal. A format without Goyf can hardly be called Legacy.
    Team Info-Ninjas: Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.
    My Videos: Chiron Beta Prime, Flickr, Re: Your Brains
    Quote Originally Posted by Slay
    Man Kills Seven at popular gaming tournament, buries in backyard. "I was only trying to get thresh," he says.
    -Slay

Quote Originally Posted by Pinder View Post
    Right, but that was Legacy. This whole tournament is an experiment to see what would happen if Goyf weren't legal. A format without Goyf can hardly be called Legacy.
    Doh!

Somehow forgot this was all sans Goyf.

/facepalm

Hold on! I have a 12/12
    Mar 2007
    Germany

4eak takes it 2-1 and MWS is a bitch.

But at least to both of us on roughly the same level, which means it was a fair and square win.

ლ(ಠ_ಠლ)
    Jun 2007

I win 2-1. It was a tight match. We were goldfishing. Mulls decided our fates.

G1: I win the roll, open with a 7-lander, and throw it back for Lackey, Lackey, Land, Land, Chief, Ringleader. Van Phanel forces the first, but I resolve the second. I draw into a Piledriver and seal the game.

G2: I am forced to mull to 4, ouch. Despite that, I had a turn 5 clock when Piledriver resolved my second turn. I had a single port that bought a little bit of time, but Van Phanel played gracefully around it. The singleton Blessing (which unfortunately wasn't revealed until the last 8 cards) forced Van Phanel to do some acrobatics. He was down to his last Wish in his library and had to Brainfreeze himself to get Flash to Wish for Stroke in response to my trigger. If the Blessing was any higher in the deck, it would have been very difficult to Stroke me out. Van Phanel played awesomely.

G3: Van Phanel mulls to 5, ouch. I don't know if Force was in the mix (although he had it at the end). I drop Vial, and next turn Fanatic was played and Lackey was Vialed. SGC and Warchief hit play turn 3, and Vialed Goblin King ends the match on turn 4.

peace,
    4eak

Goblin Piledriver
    Jul 2008
    Netherlands

Quote Originally Posted by 4eak View Post
    I win 2-1. It was a tight match. We were goldfishing. Mulls decided our fates.

G1: I win the roll, open with a 7-lander, and throw it back for Lackey, Lackey, Land, Land, Chief, Ringleader. Van Phanel forces the first, but I resolve the second. I draw into a Piledriver and seal the game.

G2: I am forced to mull to 4, ouch. Despite that, I had a turn 5 clock when Piledriver resolved my second turn. I had a single port that bought a little bit of time, but Van Phanel played gracefully around it. The singleton Blessing (which unfortunately wasn't revealed until the last 8 cards) forced Van Phanel to do some acrobatics. He was down to his last Wish in his library and had to Brainfreeze himself to get Flash to Wish for Stroke in response to my trigger. If the Blessing was any higher in the deck, it would have been very difficult to Stroke me out. Van Phanel played awesomely.

G3: Van Phanel mulls to 5, ouch. I don't know if Force was in the mix (although he had it at the end). I drop Vial, and next turn Fanatic was played and Lackey was Vialed. SGC and Warchief hit play turn 3, and Vialed Goblin King ends the match on turn 4.

peace,
    4eak
    Wooo, go 4eak
    I predicted goblins to take this home, do NOT disappoint me
    Hello friend.

ლ(ಠ_ಠლ)
    Jun 2007

@ Ectoplasm

I predicted goblins to take this home, do NOT disappoint me
    I pretty much knew all the decks in the top 8 before pairings (minus P. Shift, his choice eluded me). I tried to figure out the matchups before hand. My bracket showed Van Phanel beating me at this exact point in the tournament. I was wrong (but obviously not complaining).

If The Wes moves to the Finals, I honestly don't think I have a chance. I think I have decent odds against the Fish deck though. So, as bad as it sounds, go pi4meterftw!

peace,
    4eak

Hold on! I have a 12/12
    Mar 2007
    Germany

Quote Originally Posted by 4eak View Post

peace,
    4eak
    In fact yes, I did have a Fow in my opener. But as you were obviously thinking about wether to drop Lackey or Vial, I couldn't afford going down to three cards just to see Lackey coming into play turn 2 anyway. My only out at this point was lucksacking into Brainstorm + goodness and I needed those Forces as cards to put back for the Brainstorm.

The Wes, are you down to play this Thursday or Friday? What about the weekend? I haven't heard from you yet.

Feb 2007
    Chapel Hill, NC

Hey, sorry, was sick all weeend. I'll be around to play Tuesday, Thursday, Friday nights, or most of the weekend.

Even most of the day today!
    Team <spectacular

ლ(ಠ_ಠლ)
    Jun 2007

@ Van Phanel

In fact yes, I did have a Fow in my opener. But as you were obviously thinking about wether to drop Lackey or Vial, I couldn't afford going down to three cards just to see Lackey coming into play turn 2 anyway. My only out at this point was lucksacking into Brainstorm + goodness and I needed those Forces as cards to put back for the Brainstorm.
    You ended the game with 2 in hand. I thought it might be possible to Force both Lackey and Vial, or draw into the blast. It would have cost you 3-4 cards to do it, but it would have slowed me down a lot I think, especially if I didn't get a 4th land. I'm sure you played it correctly though.

peace,
    4eak

Thread Information