Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Battlefield.

Jan 2009
    Northern VA

Re: Battlefield.

Who cares if they call it battlefield or exiled? You're afraid of it sounding dorky? Keep in mind that you are playing Magic: The Gathering. If anything, they should change the name of the damn game so I don't have to tell my gf that I'm going to go play "cards." With this in mind I don't think changing some text in the cards will make the game any less nerdy. If the word changes make it easier for newbies to understand, all the better. You'll have a wider audience to play against instead of discouraging new players.

Wow... I'm usually for sacrificing flavor for anything useful, like mechanics and stuff, but this sacrifices flavor for nothing, and since flavor is worth more than nothing, I oppose this change.

Dodge this.
    Jan 2005
    Westland, Michigan

[sarcasm]Whoooooaa! This totally opens up new possibilities and stuff. I can't want to hook up a new playmat with TEH BATTLEFIELD! printed on it...upside down just so my opponent knows my creatures are not, like, in the the mana zone or something. [/sarcasm]

"Exiled" sounds okay to me because I'm trying to teach my wife how Swords to Plowshares works. Might actually help.

Eh, it sounds really nerdy, but then again MTG is a nerdy game. Exile sounds cool, but what I don't understand is why these fancy new names are being brought in but Bury was removed.

Bury sounded so cool, you could be like "Ahah! I cast Terror and BURY your Shivan Dragon"!

Who here thinks bury sounds cooler than exile or lawlfield?

Nov 2006
    London

I don't think this is going to be that big of a deal. We all love the game and want Wizards to stay in business, so I'm all for making the game more intelligible for beginners even at the slight annoyance of veterans.

That said, the words they chose to streamline the game mechanics do seem a bit awkward.

Exile seems fine as a keyword as long as it only pertains to creatures. We have Path to Exile already. As far as Exiling noncreatures is concerned, it does seem bit odd. I doubt they would start changing the oracle text of every card that uses RFG to this, though.

Battlefield is equally clunky. Something like "Realm" might have been better.

Cast vs. Play, however, seems appropriate and inoffensive.

keepin' it unreal
    May 2007
    Gothenburg, Sweden

Yeah, bury was the best!
    "BURY ALL CREATURES" does sound like something a pissed off god would say.
    "Want all, lose all."

Oct 2007
    Nijmegen, The Netherlands

Quote Originally Posted by caiomarcos View Post
    Yeah, bury was the best!
    "BURY ALL CREATURES" does sound like something a pissed off god would say.
    Just compare..

"Bury. All. Creatures."

to..

"Destroy all creatures. They can't be regenerated. Blabla."

You're so right.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpikeyMikey View Post
    ..we all know that the Dutch are to Magic what Koreans are to Starcraft.

Thread Information