Thread: [Report] E!NLTESBURW2k9 takes 10th at Eli's Lotus Event

[Report] E!NLTESBURW2k9 takes 10th at Eli's Lotus Event

As usual, EPIC did next to no testing going into this event. Because well, that's apparently what we do. Instead Zach Tartell, Colin (Di), Adam (Nightmare), and I decided to play our casual decks (EDH and Skittles) the night before. After going to bed at 3 AM, I was ready. I took the ride down to Binghamton with Rick (Jander78) and Zach. Good times. Walked in bought a FBB Volcanic and was ready to start. Announcements were made and we had 132 people for this event. Larger than the source event!

I've made a lot of changes to TES in the last 2 or so months on my arrival back from college. Adding duals (2 Underground Sea, 1 Volcanic Island), changing up the sideboard, more Mystical Tutors (moving an infernal to the sideboard). Another change in the sideboard was a Hurkyl's Recall to deal with the troublesome artifacts I lost to two weeks earlier in the Top 4 of the Altered states 1000$ event. All of these changes are leading up to my current list....

The EPIC Storm
    By Bryant Cook

Lands
    4 Gemstone Mine
    4 City of Brass
    2 Underground Sea
    1 Volcanic Island

Spells
    4 Orimís Chant
    4 Dark Ritual
    4 Rite of Flame
    4 Lionís Eye Diamond
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Chrome Mox
    3 Infernal Tutor
    4 Burning Wish
    4 Brainstorm
    3 Ponder
    3 Mystical Tutor
    2 Ad Nauseam
    3 Duress
    1 Ill-Gotten Gains
    1 Tendrils of Agony
    1 Chain of Vapor

SB:1 Diminishing Returns
    SB:1 Ill-Gotten Gains
    SB:1 Tendrils of Agony
    SB:1 Empty the Warrens
    SB:1 Grapeshot
    SB:1 Duress
    SB:4 Pyroblast
    SB:1 Echoing Truth
    SB:1 Infernal Tutor
    SB:2 Shattering Spree
    SB:1 Hurkyl's Recall

Round One: 3c Disruption (Wasteland, Stifle, Thoughtsieze, Force, Daze, Ghost quarter, and SB Chant)

Game One: I look at my hand of Lotus Petal, Chrome Mox, Gemstone Mine, Lion's Eye Diamond, Dark Ritual, Ill-Gotten Gains, Mystical Tutor. I start out by playing Gemstone Mine, Chrome Mox (Imprint: Ill-Gotten Gains), Lotus Petal, Lion's Eye Diamond, go. He Ghost Quarters my land, I float a U. Then cast Mystical, get Ad Nauseam. Dark Ritual, upkeep break Lion's Eye Diamond for UUU, draw step cast Ad Nauseam floating a U. Draw a ton of cards, cast Brainstorm. Play a ton of cards, Tendrils.

Sideboarding: None. I don't know what I'm playing against.

Game Two: He leads with Swamp, go. My hand is...Underground Sea, Gemstone Mine, Duress, Dark Ritual, Mystical Tutor, Lion's Eye Diamond, Chrome Mox. I draw Ad Nauseam. I play Underground Sea -> Duress. Seeing Orim's Chant, Stifle, Force of Will, Wasteland, and Fact or Fiction. I take Force of Will. He Wastelands Underground Sea, and passes. I play Gemstone Mine, Lion's Eye Diamond, Chrome Mox (Imprint: Ad Nauseam). Pass, he plays Engineered Explosives and misses his land drop. Pass. I end of turn, Mystical Tutor for Ad Nauseam. Dark Ritual, upkeep break Lion's Eye Diamond for UUU, draw step cast Ad Nauseam floating a U. Draw a ton of cards, cast Brainstorm. Play a ton of cards, Tendrils.

1-0
    2-0

Round Two: LED Ichorid

Game One: I keep a decent hand...Ad Nauseam, Burning Wish, Dark Ritual, Lion's Eye Diamond, Infernal Tutor, Mystical Tutor, and Gemstone Mine. He starts off with Gemstone Mine, 2x Lion's Eye Diamond, Brainstorm, breaks both LED's for UUUUUU (I'm thinking the mirror?). He discards Dredgers, and brainstorms, casts Deep Analysis. He Fizzles. Cabal Therapies me for Dark Ritual and Hits. I draw a Infernal Tutor for my turn, play Gemstone Mine, play Lion's Eye Diamond. Pass. He dredges. Hits 2 Therapy, Narcomoeba, and 2 Bridges and wins.

Sideboarding: -4 Orim's Chant, -3 Duress, +4 Pyroblast, +2 Shattering Spree, +1 Echoing Truth.

Game Two: I mulligan to five. I keep...Undergound Sea, Gemstone Mine, City of Brass, Lion's Eye Diamond, Shattering Spree. I play Gemstone, LED, go. He starts dredging on turn 1 (I'm thinking great I lost). He therapies me, sees a bunch of land. I draw Infernal, play land pass. He doesn't have anything to dredge. He draws and flashes back Therapy on Burning Wish, miss. I draw Dark Ritual, I play my City of Brass, Dark Ritual, Infernal Tutor, break Lion's Eye Diamond (BBB) get Ad Nauseam. Cast it. Draw a bunch of cards, play a bunch of cards. Tendrils.

Game Three: He plays Lionís Eye Diamond, Gemstone, Breakthrough, break LED in response for UUU. Discards Deep Analysis and 2 Grave-Troll. He wins.

1-1
    3-2

Round Three: Canadian Threshold

Game One: I keep a hand of Underground Sea, Volcanic Island, Gemstone Mine, Ponder, Dark Ritual, Brainstorm, Burning Wish. I play Volcanic Island, Ponder. Shuffle. Draw Tendrils. Pass. He Wastelands Volcanic. I draw City of Brass. Play City pass. He plays Fetchland, Ponder, pass. Draw Chrome Mox, I play Underground Sea, Burning Wish. Force of Will. He plays Goyf Pass. Draw Duress. Duress pass seeing Stifle, 2 Spellsnare and Daze, I take Stifle. He swings. I draw Ponder. I Brainstorm into Chain of Vapor, Lotus Petal, Dark Ritual. I put a Mox and a random card on top. Gemstone Mine, I play Dark Ritual, he Dazes, I pay. I play Lotus Petal, Chrome Mox (Imprint: Ponder), Chain of Vapor targeting bouncing both artifacts. I replay them both, Tendrils of Agony for 18.

Sideboarding: -1 Orim's Chant, -1 Chrome Mox, -1 Brainstorm, -1 Chain of Vapor, +4 Pyroblast.

Game Two: I keep a hand of Duress, Duress, Underground Sea, Lion's Eye Diamond, Dark Ritual, Ponder, Mystical Tutor. He leads with Volcanic, Ponder, go. I draw a Gemstone Mine. I play Underground Sea, Duress. Taking a Force leaving him with Tarmogoyfs and 2 Spell Snares. He plays a Goyf and Passes. I play Gemstone Mine, Duress. I take the Stifle he Drew. Play Lion's Eye Diamond. He swings, passes. I Mystical Tutor for Ad Nauseam. Dark Ritual, upkeep break Lion's Eye Diamond for UUU, draw step cast Ad Nauseam floating a U. Draw a ton of cards, cast Mystical Tutor for Tendrils. Play a cantrip, play some cards, Tendrils of Agony.

2-1
    5-2

Round Four: UWb Landstill

Game One: My opening hand was 3 lands and a bunch of cards that aren't relevant. He plays a turn 2 standstill and I sit there sculpting my hand forever. I eventually have 6 lands and he has 5. I end of turn Mystical for Orim's Chant. I Duress (Take Force), Chant (counters), Chant (Counters), play Dark Ritual, Dark Ritual, LED, Ad Nauseum. Draw a bunch of cards win.

Sideboarding: -1 Orim's Chant, -1 Chrome Mox, -1 Brainstorm, -1 Chain of Vapor, +4 Pyroblast.

Game Two: I Duress him early taking a Chant. He plays a Runed Halo on Tendrils(I sided out Chain). We get under the same situation with Standstill this time I have 7 lands. Although he's beaten me down to 13. I endstep tap 5, cast Ad Nauseum, Pyroblast his Counter, he counters. I untap, Duress, Chant, Ad Nauseum (8 Life). I flipped...Lion's Eye Diamond, Burning Wish, Lotus Petal, Chrome Mox, Land, land, Rite of Flame, Burning Wish...Stop at 3. I tap my City of Brasses and go to 1, play Chrome Mox, Lotus Petal, Lion's Eye Diamond, Rite of Flame, Rite of Flame, Burning Wish, Ill-Gotten Gains, getting back Burning Wish, Rite of Flame, Lion's Eye Diamond. I get Ill-Gotten Gains again, this time getting back Infernal (Discarded under Standstill), Rite of Flame, Lion's Eye Diamond. Cast Lion's Eye Diamond, Rite of Flame, Infernal Tutor (Break LED for RRR), get Burning Wish. Wish -> Grapeshot for 19.

3-1
    7-2

Round Five: Goblins

Game One: I mulligan to five. He plays Lackey go. I keep a hand of Chrome Mox, Lotus Petal, Infernal Tutor, Gemstone Mine, Ponder. Draw Chant. Gemstone Mine, Ponder into LED, LED, Wish. I draw LED Pass. Wasteland, swing with Lackey, drop Siege gang commander. Pass. I draw LED. Play LED, LED, Lotus Petal, Chrome Mox (Imprint: Orim's Chant), Infernal Tutor for Ill-Gotten Gains. Ill-Gotten Gains, LED, LED, Infernal Tutor for Tendrils. Tendrils of Agony for 20.

Sideboarding: -4 Orim's Chant, +1 Hurkyl's Recall, +2 Shattering Spree, +1 Echoing Truth.

Game Two: I look at my hand of Dark Ritual, Rite of Flame, Lotus Petal, Burning Wish, Infernal Tutor, Lion's Eye Diamond, Volcanic Island. Keep. He plays Mountain, lackey go. I draw a Brainstorm, I play Volcanic Island, Rite of Flame, Lotus Petal, Dark Ritual, Infernal Tutor (Revealing: Lion's Eye Diamond), play both Lion's Eye Diamond, Burning Wish for Ill-Gotten Gains. Get back 2x Lion's Eye Diamond, Infernal, cast them for Tendrils of Agony.

4-1
    9-2

Round Six: UWBG Countertop

Game One: I keep a hand of Duress, Underground Sea, Gemstone Mine, Orim's Chant, Dark Ritual, Lion's Eye Diamond, Mystical Tutor. I play Underground Sea, Duress. He has nothing. He plays land top. I play Gemstone, Lion's Eye Diamond, Pass. End of turn I Mystical Tutor for Ad Nausuem. Upkeep Chant, he flips top then Dazes. In response I cast Dark Ritual. Pay for Daze. Draw a ton of cards, Play a ton of cards, Tendrils of Agony.

Game Two: I kept a decent hand, Lion's Eye Diamond, Lotus Petal, Chrome Mox, Ill-Gotten Gains, Lotus Petal, Underground Sea, Infernal Tutor. He went Top, go. I drew Gemstone Mine, Mine, go. He played Counterbalance. I was thinking to myself, if there's a one on top I can win. I played out every card in my hand and cast Infernal breaking LED for BBB. He blind flipped Dark Confidant. He then beat me to death with it.

Game Three: He got another turn one Thoughtseize, turn two top, turn 3 Counterbalance. I was behind, he played Dark Confidant and destroyed me.

4-2
    10-4

Round Seven: Canadian Threshold

Game One: I kept a hand of Underground Sea, Ponder, Lion's Eye Diamond, Lion's Eye Diamond, Infernal Tutor, Burning Wish, Burning Wish. He went Volcanic, Ponder. I draw Ad Nauseam, play Underground Sea, Ponder into garbage. Shuffle, draw Chrome Mox. Pass. He Wastelands my Underground Sea. I never see another land/manasource. He beats me down with a 'goyf.

Game Two: I opened up with Gemstone Mine, City of Brass, Duress, Mystical Tutor, Orim's Chant, Lion's Eye Diamond, Lion's Eye Diamond. Gemstone Mine, Duress (Taking Force). He plays land, Ponder. I draw Chrome Mox. I play 2x Lion's Eye Diamond and City of Brass, pass. He plays Goyf. I Mystical end of turn for Ad Nauseum, I upkeep Chant, he forces, I Pyroblast, break both LEDs for BBBUUU then cast Ad Nauseum floating U, draw a lot of cards. Play a lot of cards, Tendrils of Agony.

Game Three: He mulligans to five. I open up with Underground Sea, Duress, Dark Ritual, Rite of Flame, Rite of Flame, Lotus Petal, Ad Nauseam. He plays land, Ponder, go. I draw Infernal Tutor. Underground Sea, Lotus Petal, Rite of Flame, Rite of Flame, Dark Ritual, Duress, Ad Nauseam. Draw a lot of cards, play a lot of cards, Tendrils of Agony.

5-2
    12-5

Round Eight: Zoo

Game One: He opens up with Wild Nacatl and turn two Pridemage. On my turn two, I played Dark Ritual, Dark Ritual and Ad Nauseum down to 1 and ended up winning off of Brainstorm into LED and Lotus Petal.

Sideboarding: -4 Orim's Chant, +2 Shattering Spree, +1 Duress, +1 Echoing Truth.

Game Two: He goes Fetchland pass. I look at my hand of Dark Ritual, Infernal Tutor, Burning Wish, Lion's Eye Diamond, Lion's Eye Diamond, Gemstone Mine, Volcanic Island. I go for the turn one win and walk into Orim's Chant. I slowly die to Wild Nacatls.

Sideboarding: +4 Orim's Chant, -1 Chain of Vapor, -1 Echoing Truth, -2 Shattering Spree.

Game Three: I open with Underground Sea, Ponder. He leaves a fetchland untapped. City of Brass, Duress, he Chants me in response. He end of turn bolts me, he untaps sends 6 more, 1 land untapped (1 unknown card in hand). My turn, I look at my hand of Burning Wish, Infernal Tutor, Dark Ritual, Lion's Eye Diamond. I play the land I drew, go all in on Diminishing Returns (I can't Ad Nauseam, I'm too low, IGG returns his Chant). I have 2 mana floating. I draw my 7 of Brainstorm, Lotus Petal, Lion's Eye Diamond, Orim's Chant, Infernal Tutor, Dark Ritual, Ponder. I Orim's Chant him, no response. I then play out my hand and Tendrils him.

6-2
    14-5

I had bad tiebreakers and am not a 6-2 that finishes in the Top 8. However, there is a 9-16 playoff to determine pick order from the prize pool.

Prize Playoff Top 8: Eva Green

Game One: He plays turn one Thoughtsieze, a few turns he Hymn to Tourachs me twice. I'm stuck with 3 lands and a Lion's Eye Diamond. I draw Dark Ritual, pass. Next turn drew Infernal Tutor, I play Dark Ritual, cast Infernal Tutor and get Ad Nauseum. I Ad Nauseum to the point where I am Forced to stop. All I hit were Burning Wishes, Infernal Tutors, Ponders, Brainstorms, and Mystical Tutors. I lose.

Sideboarding: -4 Orim's Chant, +1 Duress, +1 Echoing Truth, +2 Shattering Spree.

Game Two: I keep a hand of Lotus Petal, City of Brass, Lion's Eye Diamond, Dark Ritual, Mystical Tutor, Ponder, Duress. I play City of Brass, Lotus Petal, Lion's Eye Diamond, go. He Thoughtsiezes me, I mystical Tutor in response. I upkeep break LED for BBB, inside the draw step Ad Nauseam. I draw a bunch of cards, play 4 Chrome Mox, bounce them with Echoing Truth, replay them and Tendrils of Agony.

Game Three: I mulligan. He Thoughtsiezes me taking Brainstorm. Leaving me with Gemstone Mine, Underground Sea, Dark Ritual, Dark Ritual, Ill-Gotten Gains. I draw Mystical Tutor. I play Underground Sea and pass. He Wastelands my Underground, I in response Mystical for Ad Nauseam. He passes. I play Gemstone Mine and my 2 Dark Rituals, Ad Nauseam. Draw a bunch of cards and win.

7-2
    16-6

Prize Playoff Top 4: Merfolk

Game One: He plays Standstill with no threats out. We both sit there forever, I build up a hand to win with Tendrils (in hand). On his endstep I was going to break Standstill when I realized putting more cards in his hand was better. I decided to break Standstill with Duress, Chant, Chant all of which were countered. Then play Dark Ritual, Petal, Brainstorm, Chrome Mox, Tendrils of Agony.

Game Two: He plays a turn one Cursecatcher then a turn two Standstill. We once again sit under Standstill, he beats me down to 13. I break Standstill with 2 Duress. On his turn he plays 2 Lord of Atlantis and Silverguild Adept. Leaving one mana open. I Chant him, he forces, I pyroblast it, then play Dark Ritual, Lion's Eye Diamond, Infernal tutor. Getting Ill-Gotten Gains, returning Dark Ritual, Lion's Eye Diamond, Infernal Tutor for Tendrils of Agony.

8-2
    18-6

Prize Playoff Top 2: Team America

Game One: He destroys my two land with Wasteland and Sinkhole. I sit there pretty while Tombstalker rapes me.

Game Two: I keep a 5 land hand with Duress and Ponder. He happened to keep a hand with Wasteland and 3 Sinkhole. This game was incredibly dragged out. I go for the win at one point by end step Mystical for Ad Nauseam after Duressing him. All he had left was land and Brainstorm. I wore him out of counterspells. He Brainstorms into Force of Will and a blue card. I still had 3 lands, Mox, Lotus Petal and a LED in play. On my next turn I drew Infernal Tutor and won with Ad Nauseam.

Game Three: This game was the last game of the night. It had a lot of disruption and counters. It seemed to go on forever. I eventually played through 3 Force of Will and a few Dazes. I get Burning Wish to resolve with a high enough storm count to kill him with Tendrils I had UUUBBBRRR floating and I scooped. I knew for a fact he had Stifle in his hand. I was tired of playing combo all day long and wanted to leave, it was one in the morning. I could've Diminishing Returns, but instead I said, "I'll walk into Stifle, let's go home." and I did. I grabbed Tendrils and cast it, because the difference between 12th and 13th pick isn't worth the work.

8-3
    19-8

I'm happy with my finish, I feel like I played against a wide variety of decks while only playing against the upper tier. My reward was this...

If you're interested... click here .

Re: [Report] E!NLTESBURW2k9 takes 10th at Eli's Lotus Event

Good job at the tournament. Your reports as always are fun to read.

Trying to trade into power!!!
    Hit me up if you have any unlimited power that isn't creased. Maybe we can make a deal.

Tom MacDonald
    May 2007
    Stoughton, MA

Congrats Bryant! The list looks really solid.
    Team Hammafist
    Quote Originally Posted by Admiral_Arzar View Post
    What kind of fucked-up, drug-laden, alternate universe of faerie rape does this guy live in?

Epic Library
    Nov 2004
    Syracuse New York

Ponder into LED, LED, Wish
    This is what I'm talking about.....................CHEATER.

Congrats on the finish!
    Quote Scrumdogg @ Amrod's:
    "Didn't you know that Mike Glow invented this format?? We are all just renting it."

The EPIC Syndicate - Grindermen
    Team Disquailified Poster Duey Cheatem & Howe.

+Hollywood+
    Nov 2003
    Upstate NY

Nice work Bryant.
    Truth, justice...and the American way.

Artist formerly known as Anti-American
    May 2005
    Thursday...

Congratz on the finish. Grim Tutor is quite a prize.

New list looks bad ass. But it doesn't seem like you've EtW at all during the tournament. Have you had thoughts about cutting it?
    ICBE - We're totally the coolest Anti-Thesis ever.

"The Citrus-God just had a Citrus-Supernova... in your mouth."

The odd one
    Nov 2003
    Syracuse, N.Y.

Congratz on the finish.
    "Just hulk your way there."

" It's your fault I lost, because YOU didn't have force of will"

4 Legged freaks, back in action!!!

Your one and only freak, SpiderFreak!

TEAM: Left Field. Wining with cards that make you go " What the f**k!!!"

I'm the high bid on the grim tutor. :)

Chief Head Chief of the Department of Redundancy Department
    Dec 2005
    Massachusetts

Quote Originally Posted by Bryant Cook View Post
    Game Two: I Duress him early taking a Chant. He plays a Runed Halo on Tendrils(I sided out Chain). We get under the same situation with Standstill this time I have 7 lands. Although he's beaten me down to 13. I endstep tap 5, cast Ad Nauseum, Pyroblast his Counter, he counters. I untap, Duress, Chant, Ad Nauseum (8 Life). I flipped...Lion's Eye Diamond, Burning Wish, Lotus Petal, Chrome Mox, Land, land, Rite of Flame, Burning Wish...Stop at 3. I tap my City of Brasses and go to 1, play Chrome Mox, Lotus Petal, Lion's Eye Diamond, Rite of Flame, Rite of Flame, Burning Wish, Ill-Gotten Gains, getting back Burning Wish, Rite of Flame, Lion's Eye Diamond. I get Ill-Gotten Gains again, this time getting back Infernal (Discarded under Standstill), Rite of Flame, Lion's Eye Diamond. Cast Lion's Eye Diamond, Rite of Flame, Infernal Tutor (Break LED for RRR), get Burning Wish. Wish -> Grapeshot for 19.
    That is awesome.

Congrats on the finish. I like the list a lot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Volt View Post
    And make no mistake, a Hulk Flash dominated metagame is shit on a plate. Sure, it made for an interesting GP and possibly even attracted a few curious newcomers who wondered "I wonder what it's like to eat shit?" or "I wonder what it's like to make other people eat shit?" That's all fine and dandy, but I'll be glad to say "Good riddance!" to Flash when I wake up tomorrow.

Jul 2007
    Enfield, CT

Bryant's match vs Nick in the Top 16 final was my highlight of the night. Watching the match was enough, but having Gearheart, Nightmare, Di, Jesse Hatfield and others with match commentary was Epic. Literally. Bryant calling Nick's Brainstorming into Force, blue card was funny as hell and prompted the high five from Gearheart with the comment "Thats just what the deck does" after he topdecks Tombstalker the next turn to win game 1. Then during the intermission, Nightmare comes over and goes off on a tangent about Painter vs TES and how EPIC shaped the format and shit, was funny as hell.

Absolutely worth the 4 hour drive from CT even though I scrubbed.

EDIT: Best part of the whole match is when Bryant practically screams keep looking at his 4 City of Brass hand in game two, which Nick responds to by killing all four of them with 3 Sinkhole and a Wasteland

EDIT2: Disregard above. The real best part of the match was after Adam was done talking about Painter, he tells Bryant that he should announce every card he plays in an announcers voice or something cool like that. Then Jesse goes "Yeah you could be like 'I tap my foil japanese City of Brass and take 1 foil japanese point of damage to play a foil japanese Orim's Chant targeting you.'" Hahahahahaha So awesome
    Still looking for FBB Lightning Bolts. German or Korean is preferred. PM me if you have them

Quote Originally Posted by Slay View Post
    Drunk texting is ballin'. Anyone can slur into a phone, but it takes a real man to fumble over tiny buttons to make a semi-coherent message and send it to someone.
    -Slay

*/*
    Dec 2004
    Syracuse, NY

Quote Originally Posted by TrialByFire View Post
    Bryant's match vs Nick in the Top 16 final was my highlight of the night. Watching the match was enough, but having Gearheart, Nightmare, Di and others with match commentary was Epic. Literally. Bryant calling Nick's Brainstorming into Force, blue card was funny as hell and prompted the high five from Gearheart with the comment "Thats just what the deck does" after he topdecks Tombstalker the next turn to win game 1. Then during the intermission, Nightmare comes over and goes off on a tangent about Painter vs TES and how EPIC shaped the format and shit, was funny as hell.

Absolutely worth the 4 hour drive from CT even though I scrubbed.
    Man, was I fucked up by then. Still, watching that EPIC Painter vs. TES match was awesome. It was like two dudes I didn't know playing at my dining room table, with less pimp cards.

RawR Bitch
    Sep 2007
    Norwich, CT

You didn't mention in top 4 against merfolk that you Ad Nauseam'd with a vendilion clique trigger on the stack and he put lions eye diamond on the bottom and you drew another one. If Pat played clique before you drew your dark ritual that you mystical tutored for he probably would have won. You didn't have the mana to cast nauseam otherwise.

Congrats on the finish regardless.
    Co-Founder of Team Awesome - I heard Randy Buehler say a while back that good players give themselves the most number of turns to find the answer.
    The Source on MTGO - Predator8785 and RockOut
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    Women come and go, turn one protection is forever.

Thread Information