Thread: The Matrix Reloaded

The Matrix Reloaded

I saw this deck at deckcheck.net.
    I thought it was pretty cool, so I decided to ask you guys for possible ways to improve it.
    Heres the list:
    Mainboard:

3 Savannah
    2 Plateau
    2 Scrubland
    4 Windswept Heath
    2 Marsh Flats
    2 Plains
    1 Forest
    3 Diamond Valley
    3 Starlit Sanctum
    1 Riftstone Portal
    3 Nomads en-Kor
    4 Shaman en-Kor
    3 Daru Spiritualist
    4 Task Force
    1 Doran, the Siege Tower
    3 Swords to Plowshares
    4 Eladamri's Call
    4 Living Wish
    4 Aether Vial
    2 Crop Rotation
    2 About Face
    4 Mox Diamond

# 61

Sideboard:

1 The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale
    1 Diamond Valley
    1 Nomads en-Kor
    1 Daru Spiritualist
    1 Qasali Pridemage
    1 Ingot Chewer
    1 Offalsnout
    1 Felidar Sovereign
    1 Magus of the Moon
    2 Sacred Ground
    2 Pyroblast
    2 Red Elemental Blast

# 15

As you can see it wins by huge Shaman en-kor, Nomads en-kor or Daru Spiritualist.
    So, ways to improve it? I thought about fling, what do you think about it?

Dodge this.
    Jan 2005
    Westland, Michigan

Re: The Matrix Reloaded

I watched The Matrix last night and I was really excited to see the thread title only to find a decklist...how does this relate?

Quote Originally Posted by umbowta View Post
    I watched The Matrix last night and I was really excited to see the thread title only to find a decklist...how does this relate?
    It was named The Matrix Reloaded on deckcheck.net too. Where I found this list.
    http://www.deckcheck.net/deck.php?id=30260

Even with 4 Eladamri's Call I'd run more Doran. Even if you struggle to setup the combo, he can sit there as a well and buy you time or beat for 5.

Quote Originally Posted by Philipp2293 View Post
    Even with 4 Eladamri's Call I'd run more Doran. Even if you struggle to setup the combo, he can sit there as a well and buy you time or beat for 5.
    There is About Face for that.

Salt of the earth

May 2009
    Canada

I decided to call it "The Matrix Reloaded" because we thought it'd be pretty funny for the tournament we were at. I was playing Dark Depths, but named it "5 colour Scion of the Ur-Dragon Control," and a friend was playing this deck and didn't know what to call it. Somehow, the matrix just seemed to fit the deck.

Also, you don't need more doran, because if you don't get him, you just go infinite life and wait it out.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Quote Originally Posted by sdematt View Post
    I decided to call it "The Matrix Reloaded" because we thought it'd be pretty funny for the tournament we were at. I was playing Dark Depths, but named it "5 colour Scion of the Ur-Dragon Control," and a friend was playing this deck and didn't know what to call it. Somehow, the matrix just seemed to fit the deck.

Also, you don't need more doran, because if you don't get him, you just go infinite life and wait it out.
    Sounds like a surefire way to draw each round. How does this deck, you know, actually WIN?

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

isnt this deck already called Life.dec?

so much for new...
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    13NoVa plays Force of Will from his hand.
    Finglonger plays Spell Pierce from his hand.
    [10:22:43]  13NoVa: lol
    sure
    Finglonger points from his Dack Fayden to 13NoVa's Sol Ring.
    [10:23:04]  13NoVa: lol dumb ******; nice draws with retard.dec
    stupid cocksucker
    You have been kicked out of the game.

Greetings, I am the designer and pilot of this deck.

Quote Originally Posted by Philipp2293 View Post
    I think you've missed the point of the deck. While it is capable of a turn 2 kill, it's not designed for a quick win every time. In the year and a bit since I added doran to the list, I've rarely attacked with him and usually only as a last resort. The Kor creatures make fine blockers when paired with the rebel or daru. Goyf is usually at least as big as Doran anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad-Hatter View Post
    As you can see it wins by huge Shaman en-kor, Nomads en-kor or Daru Spiritualist.
    So, ways to improve it? I thought about fling, what do you think about it?
    Close enough, I guess. I've thought about using Fling but it doesn't really work with the deck. It would require About Face to do anything significant and Starlit Sanctum already does that for me.

Quote Originally Posted by umbowta View Post
    The deck name has nothing to do with the movie.
    To explain, the name "The Matrix: Reloaded" was one link in a chain of whimsical names I give my decks at larger tournaments. It's one of my guilty pleasures and favorite parts of big tourneys.
    The name comes from the file name I use on Forbidden Program: "Legacy LG Reloaded X.X.mwDeck"
    Life Gain Reloaded

Quote Originally Posted by rukcus View Post
    Sounds like a surefire way to draw each round. How does this deck, you know, actually WIN?
    LAWLZ!
    You mean other than asking for a scoop? How about using Doran to power a super-smash? I love to beat with Nomads and Daru. They go "No blocks I'll take 2." and I say "Guess again. Eladamri's Call. Doran, activate Vial on 3." How about the surprise About Face on an unblocked Cleric/Rebel? Or maybe the drain ability of Starlit Sanctum after an About Face?
    The combo works as follows:
    Part A
    Nomads en-Kor
    Shaman en-Kor
    Part B
    Daru Spiritualist
    Task Force
    Part C
    Diamond Valley
    Starlit Sanctum
    Part D
    Doran
    About Face

any A + any B = good blockers
    any A + Daru + Starlit Sanctum = arbitrary life on demand
    any A + any B + Diamond Valley = arbitrary life on demand
    any A + any B + any D = big smash FTW
    any A + Daru + About Face + Starlit Sanctum = arbitrary life drain FTW

Oh, and after an ABC combo off there's always Living Wish for Felidar Sovereign.

I've almost never gone to time. When I do, it's typically because of a slower opposing deck and an awkward shuffle. Actually I've been the first one to finish the round on several occasions and among the first on several others. And no, these were not because of frustrated opponents conceeding.

Quote Originally Posted by (nameless one) View Post
    isnt this deck already called Life.dec?

so much for new...
    I don't claim it's new, in fact, I routinely tell people that it's old. Hence the "Reloaded" in the deck name. I have no control over how other people represent the deck but it's new to him. AND I'm the first one to Top 8 with this kind of deck in almost a year.
    Yes, admittedly it IS classified as Life.dec but Mad-Hatter is trying to develop it.

A bit about me. My player demographic is "Johnny" with a bit of "Spike". I like off-the-wall left-field combos that nobody sees coming. I dislike netdecking but not enough that I never do it. I've placed in the top 3 of my local legacy tourneys a good deal. Mirkwood's "Legacy for a Mint Mox Sapphire" was my first large legacy event and my first top 8 of such an event.
    I've been tuning this deck for the better part of 2 years. So please credit me with the deck's design should you decide you want test drive it. It's tuned for a North American West Coast meta.

I'll look into posting a deck and matchup analysis later on if I see enough interest.

Quote Originally Posted by omega furnace View Post
    I'm the first one to Top 8 with this kind of deck in almost a year.
    Actually, we are a few players in France to regularly play this deck with a certain degree of success. For some reason, the tournament results aren’t put up on deckcheck, but I can assure you that the deck made quite a few top8 appearances recently. I’ve only played it twice in a tournament and made top8 in each (although I must say there were only 20-30 people both times). I think it’s a serious contender, especially in today’s very aggro metagame.

Your list seems particularly strange though. The French players have slightly different builds (eg with or without a black splash, knight of the reliquary or not), but we agree on the core of the deck. You take a different approach, which is interesting but very debatable.
    First, what’s with the red splash? About face looks like an unnecessarily risky option when you can just gain infinite life and sit back waiting for your doran or wishing into felidar. Also, REB is always cool but unnecessary imo since blue decks aren’t the hardest MU for this deck (although dreadstill can be a bitch, but luckily there aren’t so many around anymore). Also, StP, really? Should you really be worried about the opponent’s board? The French players usually play some protection cards instead of that, such as MM, mother of runes or discard (thoughtseize or therapy) to help get the combo through;
    Your board seems pretty strange too. No grip? What do you do against humility? Teeg is also a very good card in difficult MUs, particularly control and storm combo. Finally, I can’t think of many situations where a tabernacle or a magus of the moon wouldn’t hurt me more than my opponent.
    Last edited by Maëlig; 12-08-2009 at 12:19 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maveric78f View Post
    In France, there is also some habits to say hello to your baker when you buy some bread, with no penalty if I don't. However if I don't do it, my fame is damaged. that is the reason why I always say hello to my baker in France.

Quote Originally Posted by Maëlig View Post
    Actually, we are a few players in France to regularly play this deck with a certain degree of success. For some reason, the tournament results aren’t put up on deckcheck, but I can assure you that the deck made quite a few top8 appearances recently. I’ve only played it twice in a tournament and made top8 in each (although I must say there were only 20-20 people both times). I think it’s a serious contender, especially in today’s very aggro metagame.
    From this I infer that u know Jean-Mary Accart. And I'll correct myself. I seemed to be the first one to top 8 in almost a year with this type of deck. Evidently not so. My bad.

Your list seems particularly strange though.
    I am particularly strange. Many of my decks tend to reflect that.

The French players have slightly different builds (eg with or without a black splash, knight of the reliquary or not), but we agree on the core of the deck..
    I've attempted to adopt the French build "Eternal Life" by JMA with no success (1-3 final record I think). The failure may have been from inexperience since the deck has certainly been proven capable of a much better performance. So with that failure, I've settled on adopting some of the wishboard tech instead of trying to adapt it to the new meta.

You take a different approach, which is interesting but very debatable.
    Different player, different meta, different play style. It does work for me. But other approches are no less valid for that.

First, what’s with the red splash? About face looks like an unnecessarily risky option when you can just gain infinite life and sit back waiting for your doran or wishing into felidar.
    The red splash enables the second turn kill. About face has won me a ridiculous number of games. Hard for me to argue with that kind of success.
    It also provides a random threat that can bypass blockers. Vampire Nighthawk is starting to turn up in my local meta, which can make Doran powered smashes less effective.
    In those rare instances where this deck goes to turns, the About Face is a huge time saver. Allows you to steal an otherwise unwinnable game.
    Also, I've been killed from 30,000,000,000+ life before. One Survival build was packing Lark Combo.
    Also, REB is always cool but unnecessary imo since blue decks aren’t the hardest MU for this deck (although dreadstill can be a bitch, but luckily there aren’t so many around anymore).
    Dreadstill does make random appearances for my local events. James Onions (a good friend and the guy who beat me out in the quarters at Mirkwood to finish second) has about 3-5 legacy decks on him most of the time. Dreadstill, Ninja Fish, and Belcher to name a few.

Also, StP, really? Should you really be worried about the opponent’s board?
    I've found that sometimes you simply need to remove annoying creatures. Goblin Lackey, Goblin Instigator, Mishra's Factory, Mutavault, quick Dreadnought, Marit Lage, Wirewood Symbiote, Mirror Entity. Common sense tells us that it's bad to let your opponent do whatever they like, and I like removal.

The French players usually play some protection cards instead of that, such as MM, mother of runes or discard (thoughtseize or therapy) to help get the combo through;
    I found that Meddling Mage just provoked removal rather than deaden my opponents hand. Mother of Runes was only a 1-of and didn't show up enough to make the difference, but she tends to be a removal magnet aswell.

Your board seems pretty strange too. No grip? What do you do against humility?
    I know humility is a bitch to deal with, but i've only seen it in ONE match in 2 years. I've looked into wishable countermeasures but none are forthcoming ATM, KGrip is the benchmark and a good one to be sure, but i've been unable to find 3 slots.

Teeg is also a very good card in difficult MUs, particularly control and storm combo.
    Teeg was cut from the wishboard for Mirkwood. Normally he's there, but I've never actually found occasion to wish for him.

Finally, I can’t think of many situations where a tabernacle or a magus of the moon wouldn’t hurt me more than my opponent.
    Tabernacle is mainly for Goblins. I've lost the matchup before on what I thought was a good draw. But Gobbos can be extremely explosive with the right hand. It did save me at Mirkwood in Round 4. It's also effective against Elves, Empty the Warrens, and probably Wizards. Those sorta things.

Magus comes in against landstill, 43 lands, and even does some damage on Ichorid. Easy enough to play around if u know he's coming (see 2 Plains, 1 Forest, 4 Mox Diamond). But admittedly he was a last minute inclusion and not really critical to the game plan. My sideboard tends to change with the venue and expected meta.

For the record, my expanded Sideboard with all possible inclusions would probably look something like:
    1 Diamond Valley
    1 Nomads en-Kor
    1 Daru Spiritualist
    1 Felidar Sovereign
    1 Doran, the Siege Tower

1 Outrider/Warrior en-Kor
    1 Angelic Protector
    1 Starlit Sanctum

2 Sacred Ground
    2 Pyroblast
    2 Red Elemental Blast
    3 Krosan Grip
    3-4 Pithing Needle

1 The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    1 Magus of the Moon
    1 Ingot Chewer
    1 Wispmare
    2 Qasali Pridemage
    1 Offalsnout
    1 Yixlid Jailer
    1 Genesis
    1 Preacher
    1 True Believer
    1 Kataki, War's Wage
    1 Wasteland
    1 Elvish Herder

As you can see. I'd be grossly oversized and sacrifices must be made. Some cuts are easy (Elvish Herder, Angelic Protector, Starlit Sanctum). Others are much more difficult.
    Last edited by omega furnace; 12-07-2009 at 11:26 PM.
    If violence isn't solving it, you're not using enough.
    The distance between genius and insanity is often measured only by degrees of success.

Psilovibin
    Apr 2008

Tireless Tribe looks legit in this, if it can be fit somewhere. With Doran its ridiculous. Discard a card +4/+4? dank. He's also good with About Face, and answers lackey and instigator even if they have a burn spell.

EDIT:
    Against combo he can be the creature you sac to put you out of ToA range until you can actually gain infinite life.

Tireless Tribe doesn't really help as much as might you hope. Your proposed usage essentially reads as "discard a card: gain 4 extra life". With this being a combo deck, that would hurt far more than the potential gain. Experience has taught me that discard, while usually not back breaking, stings pretty badly.

PS sry about the deleted post. bleh.
    If violence isn't solving it, you're not using enough.
    The distance between genius and insanity is often measured only by degrees of success.

Thread Information