Thread: [Source Cards] The "Halloween 1978" Collection!

[Source Cards] The "Halloween 1978" Collection!

This is a set I've been working on the last week or so. It is based off the original Halloween, in 1978. Enjoy!

Re: [Source Cards] The "Halloween 1978" Collection!

Nov 2003
    San Diego

Is Butcher's Knife like firebreathing or is it a strictly-worse Bonesplitter?

It should probably read, "Equipped creature gets +2/+0"

The way Impervious to Pain is worded, you could never use the ability.

It should probably read as a new line: Whenever this creature is regenerated, put a -1/+1 counter on it.

Also, some of the cards are way too good, like Needle Gouge and Walking Home.

Ghost Sheet is way too good. So is Haddon Field and Impaled. Haddon Field and Impaled weren't printed by Wizards because they'd be too good. Ghost Sheet is like Vedalken Shackles, but it can strike the most powerful creatures and doesn't require you to play islands (so you can drop it off of a City or Tomb turn 1 or 2).

I really like Myers House and the flavor with The Shape and All Hallow's Eve. There's a lot of good flavor in the set, but I don't know what direction you're going with the power level. Some of the cards are unplayable (e.g. Attentive Behavior) or broken (e.g. Haddon Field), or too confusing and bad at the same time (e.g. Meeting of the Minds: Why not just, "Both players shuffle their libraries and reveal the top card....").

Some of the stuff I was working on through the night a few nights ago and got really tired. Some of the cards are supposed to be broken...

The upgraded terror is not too powerful. It's probably even worse than swords, and swords is definitely not broken.

Did you know that walking home is 2 cheaper than a card in actual existence? In fact, it's a card that was great in standard. See kodama's reach.

The cantrip shock is also 2 cheaper than a card in actual existence. But I'm down with punishing people for playing 1 toughness. Seriously, dark confidant? It might help people to pay B to make it an enchantment (phyrexian arena) instead.

Just make ghost sheets spit out a 1/1, and then it will be pretty bad in comparison with humility. (But accessible to many colors)

Serious Rider
    Oct 2005

I think Attentive behavior is interesting from a design perspective, but ultimately underpowered. It would probably be fine as a sorcery for that read "Look at the bottom 3 cards of your library. Put one of them into your hand and the rest on the bottom of your library in any order."

A psuedo-Ponder for the bottom would be sort of cool, actually.
    Team Info-Ninjas: Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.
    My Videos: Chiron Beta Prime, Flickr, Re: Your Brains
    Quote Originally Posted by Slay
    Man Kills Seven at popular gaming tournament, buries in backyard. "I was only trying to get thresh," he says.
    -Slay

I encourage everyone to keep posted on a new set I've been working on in the near future. I've been working on it now for at least a month. I'll have a completely original story and everything ready for you all. A link will be made available in the coming days.

is selling his Underground Seas.
    May 2006
    Birmingham, AL

For what it's intended to do, Butcher's Knife should actually read "Whenever Butcher's Knife becomes equipped to a creature, that creature gets +2/+0 until end of turn."

Quote Originally Posted by majikal View Post
    Damn it, Taco, that exactly sums up my opinion on the matter. I need to buy you a beer for that post.

Thread Information