Not happy.

May 2011
    Albany, NY

Re: [EDH] Kresh, the Bloodbraided

Quote Originally Posted by Bryant Cook View Post
    Primeval Titan Banned

Well, I guess this opens up a slot.

Not happy.
    The only people that are happy are those who couldn't figure out how to deal with a Primeval Titan. I understand that this is a casual format and all...but Prime Time is far from oppressive or hard to deal with.

Sep 2009
    Bratislava, Slovak republic

I personally did some effort to deal with the Titan+Tchernobyl+Coffers combo.

I believe that it was being played too often but I dislike this kind of solution.
    ...the advance of computerisation, however, has not yet wiped out nations and ethnic groups...

Stop looking at my shiny purple helmet...
    Apr 2008
    London UK

So my replacement for Primetime after the bannings was just to use Kokusho. Completely different purpose in the deck, but with as many sac outlets as this deck runs, it can give you a nice life cushion and when paired with something like Bloodfire Colossus, can be quite sick life total swings.

What have other players replaced Primetime with?
    "Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted." - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by yankeedave View Post
    So my replacement for Primetime after the bannings was just to use Kokusho. Completely different purpose in the deck, but with as many sac outlets as this deck runs, it can give you a nice life cushion and when paired with something like Bloodfire Colossus, can be quite sick life total swings.

I replaced mine with Scapeshift but that's only because I needed another way to fetch Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth and Cabal Coffers to set up massive Genesis Waves. If your deck isn't built around a Genesis Wave end game than Urborg + Coffers is unnecessary.
    Last edited by Creator; 10-06-2012 at 03:19 AM.

Does Worldspine Wurm have a place in this deck? It's a bit expensive, but I've often found myself wishing I had some fat to search for. It could be good off of Tooth and Nail for Kiki-Jiki and the Wurm.

Also, what happen to Bloodfire Colossus and Sorin Markov? Colossus was generally excellent for me, representing both a repeatable sweeper and win condition with Genesis and Sorin seems directly better than Liliana if not just for the "set a player at 10 life" ability. She is quite slow and expensive for simply searching for a card.

Lastly, Birds of Paradise...? Really? Am I missing something here? I don't think there's any point in the game where I would want to draw that card (in this format). There has to be something better.
    Last edited by Baumeister; 10-10-2012 at 08:13 AM. Reason: Added card tags

Stop looking at my shiny purple helmet...
    Apr 2008
    London UK

I play Bloodfire Colossus, but not Sorin. If I am playing in a more competitive meta, then I would play Sorin, but it doesn't make you friends in a casual meta! In a harsher environment, I would play Sorin's Veangeance too!
    "Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted." - John Lennon

Bryant Cook

Quote Originally Posted by yankeedave View Post

I've been using Boundless Realms with additional Basics over filter lands. It's been decent, but not exactly what I want it to be. It's also very slow. I want to replace it with something else that searches for lands maybe Ranger's Path?

EDIT: I added the filters back in along with Farseek, it was just too slow for my metagame.
    Last edited by Bryant Cook; 10-25-2012 at 08:36 AM.

Bryant Cook

I don't know why I only just found about this recently, but we need to add Zealous Conscripts to the deck. It allows for an instant kill with Tooth and Nail paired with Kiki-Jikki.

Could this be a replacement for Primeval Titan?

Sylvan Primordial 5GG

Creature - Avatar

Reach

When Sylvan Primordial enters the battlefield, for each opponent, destroy target noncreature permanent that player controls. For each permanent destroyed this way, search your library for a Forest card and put that card onto the battlefield tapped. Then shuffle your library.

6/8

Bryant Cook

Quote Originally Posted by Baumeister View Post
    Could this be a replacement for Primeval Titan?

Sylvan Primordial 5GG

Creature - Avatar

Reach

When Sylvan Primordial enters the battlefield, for each opponent, destroy target noncreature permanent that player controls. For each permanent destroyed this way, search your library for a Forest card and put that card onto the battlefield tapped. Then shuffle your library.

6/8
    I like this guy, he should probably find a way in somehow.

Bryant: do you have an updated list with cards from the new sets that have come out?

Bryant Cook

I have updated my list on the opening post. However, I'm going to be doing a complete deck revamp within the next few weeks. It may not even resemble the former Kresh deck.

Nice list - it looks a bit more streamlined. I'm glad the non-Garruk walkers finally got cut. They never did enough for me to warrant a spot. It's amazing how many cards are necessary to make up for Primeval Titan's basic functionality.

Have you considered Signal the Clans? I'm not really sure what piles you would make but it's an instant speed tutor.

Bryant Cook

Quote Originally Posted by Baumeister View Post
    Nice list - it looks a bit more streamlined. I'm glad the non-Garruk walkers finally got cut. They never did enough for me to warrant a spot. It's amazing how many cards are necessary to make up for Primeval Titan's basic functionality.

Have you considered Signal the Clans? I'm not really sure what piles you would make but it's an instant speed tutor.
    I'm in the middle of gutting Kresh, it's changing directions. The list I posted just isn't competitive enough for my local scene, I'm making it mean.

I'm in the middle of gutting Kresh, it's changing directions. The list I posted just isn't competitive enough for my local scene, I'm making it mean.
    I've got some ideas.

I think Sorin would be good in here because the -3 is gamebreaker and good enough to kill a player that turn.

Beast Within is a good removal spell and the drawback is negligible with so much fat.

I recommend playing some GY recursion spells like Animate Dead, Necromancy or Reanimate. Goes pretty well with how much destruction is going to happen with this list. Stealing other peoples fatties is pretty sweet.

A few more sac outlets might be nice. High Market is easy to fit in. Goblin Bombardment is a favorite of mine, which is also good with...

Insurrection. Maybe not the most competitive but it's another I Win card which is pretty nice in creature-centric play groups.

Oracle of Mul Daya is another good ramp spell.

Also if you're looking for more GY hate it's hard to get better than Scavenging Ooze.
    "We are goblinkind, heirs to the mountain empires of chieftains past. Rest is death to us, and arson is our call to war."

Bryant Cook

I finished the list. I've goldfished ten games, the new list sucks. Looking for new options.

No, I am not sharing.

I finished the list. I've goldfished ten games, the new list sucks. Looking for new options.

No, I am not sharing.
    It would help to know what direction you're trying to go in and what options you've already tried. Are you trying to make it faster and bring down the average cmc? Or does it need to have bigger plays that demand answers?

In general, I've found Kresh to be a fair deck that uses the graveyard, hand, and library to generate card advantage. It's basically 99 card Shards standard Jund with all the best black, red, and green cards ever. It's kind of tough to make him extremely competitive in EDH with all of the broken things you can do with other generals.

I feel your list could be more focused. I look at it and see a Jund good stuff deck. Have you tried a low cmc aggro strategy? Hit them them hard and fast with small dudes and swords then keep them on your level with land disruption. My list would look something like this:

Kresh, the Bloodbraided

Creatures (19)

Abyssal Persecutor
    Bloodbraid Elf
    Creekwood Liege
    Dark Confidant
    Eternal Witness
    Fauna Shaman
    Graveborn Muse
    Grave Titan
    Reassembling Skeleton (recurrable sword carrier, skullclamp food)
    Scavenging Ooze
    Tarmagoyf
    Terravore (Great after Boom/Bust, Death Cloud, Pox)
    Thragtusk
    Thrun, the Last Troll
    Tombstalker
    Troll Ascetic
    Vampire Hexmage (w.Dark Depths)
    Worldspine Wurm (Natural Order target)
    Wurmcoil Engine

Artifacts (15)

Chrome Mox
    Crucible of Worlds
    Lightning Greaves
    Mana Crypt
    Mox Diamond
    Sensei's Diving Top
    Skullclamp
    Static Orb
    Sword of Body and Mind
    Sword of Feast and Famine
    Sword of Fire and Ice
    Sword of Light and Shadow
    Sword of War and Peace
    Sol Ring
    Winter Orb

Enchantments (7)

Bitterblossom (Sword carriers, skullclamp food)
    Dark Tutelage
    Pernicious Deed
    Phyrexian Arena
    Phyrexian Reclamation
    Survival of the Fittest
    Sylvan Library

Instants (7)

Abrupt Decay
    Crop Rotation (Dark Depths/Ancient Tomb)
    Krosan Grip
    Putrefy
    Tainted Pact
    Vampiric Tutor
    Worldly Tutor

Sorceries (9)

Boom//Bust
    Death Cloud
    Demonic Tutor
    Dreadbore
    Green Sun's Zenith
    Hull Breach
    Maelstrom Pulse
    Natural Order
    Pox

Planeswalkers (3)

Garruk Primal Hunter
    Garruk Wildspeaker
    Liliana of the Veil

Lands (39)

This is how I would enjoy playing it but I have no idea how you would want to play the deck. Figure out what method of winning appeals to you most and just build a deck that focuses on doing that. Try not to get roped in by cards because of their individual power level and make choices based on the role they play in your chosen strategy.
    Last edited by Creator; 02-13-2013 at 12:29 PM.

Bryant Cook

Thread Information