Thread: [SCD] Stifle vs. Trickbind

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

[SCD] Stifle vs. Trickbind

We all know that Stifle is such a utility card but what about Trickbind?

The main differences:

Stifle costs U, Trickbind costs 1U
    Stifle can be countered, Trickbind cant.
    Stifle costs $20, Trickbind costs $3

My favourite part of Trickbind though is: If a permanent's ability is countered this way, activated abilities of that permanent can't be played this turn.

Do you guys think that this is good enough to stop CounterTop for a turn (the top part)?
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    13NoVa plays Force of Will from his hand.
    Finglonger plays Spell Pierce from his hand.
    [10:22:43]  13NoVa: lol
    sure
    Finglonger points from his Dack Fayden to 13NoVa's Sol Ring.
    [10:23:04]  13NoVa: lol dumb ******; nice draws with retard.dec
    stupid cocksucker
    You have been kicked out of the game.

Arbitrary Wielder of Justice

Oct 2003

Re: [SCD] Stifle vs. Trickbind

Do you guys think that this is good enough to stop CounterTop for a turn (the top part)?
    Not even close.

Generally the only reason to play Stifle is if you need to stop a Storm spell on turn one on the draw or you are going after a fetchland.
    When in doubt, mumble.

When in trouble, delegate.

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

hmmmm now i see...

but would stifle be maindeck slot worthy or sb?
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    13NoVa plays Force of Will from his hand.
    Finglonger plays Spell Pierce from his hand.
    [10:22:43]  13NoVa: lol
    sure
    Finglonger points from his Dack Fayden to 13NoVa's Sol Ring.
    [10:23:04]  13NoVa: lol dumb ******; nice draws with retard.dec
    stupid cocksucker
    You have been kicked out of the game.

Feb 2007
    Chapel Hill, NC

I do hate it when they stifle my activation of Elspeth...
    Team <spectacular

There's also stifling Dreadnought, and, plausibly Pact of Negation.

STARE AT AN ORPHAN ITS ENTIRE LIFE
    May 2008

Most storm decks these days play enough disruption to duress/chant away a stifle for storm. Most of the time stifle will be for their fetchlands, their EE/Deed, or your own dreadnaught.

Nov 2003
    San Diego

Quote Originally Posted by (nameless one) View Post
    We all know that Ancestral Recall is such a good draw spell, but what about Concentrate?

The main differences:

Ancestral Recall costs U, Concentrate costs 2UU
    Ancestral Recall can be countered by Counterbalance easily, Concentrate cant.
    Ancestral Recall costs $400, Concentrate costs $0.30

Do you guys think that this is good enough?

More seriously, the problem with Trickbinding a Top is that you still need to resolve the 2cc (TB) and then follow it up with something else (hopefully 2cc).

Basically, TB could only be used to force through something of 2cc, and that simply isn't worth it when Kgrip can be functionally the same thing only it's a permanent solution and tougher to blind flip.

Banned

Feb 2008
    SF CA USA

Use Trickbind only as an extenstion cord to Stifle when necessary.

Legacy Inept

Oct 2005
    France

Quote Originally Posted by (nameless one) View Post
    blabla

Stifle costs $20, Trickbind costs $3

blabla
    I never figured out that stifle has almost multiplied by 4 its price since I bought it.

Stifle is bomb, trickbind is cool but nothing else than stifle 5-8 with a tiny additional flavor. Trickbind's inability to deal properly with fetches is annoying. However, its ability to deal reliably with deed and EE is cool in some MUs. It's also cool to pawn smokestacks with chalice@1 on board. Apart from that, stifle is by far superior because they are tempo cards and 1 mana means a lot for tempo cards.

Shake that.
    Mar 2008
    Amsterdam

In decks like DreadStill, you could argue in favor of Trickbind. When a person plays a Dreadnought, the opponent would rather counter the Stifle and not the Dreadnought, so the Dreadnought resolves. This is where Trickbind comes in as a nasty surprise. But then the opponent drops Qasali Pridemage which still 2-for-1's the Nought. If only you had some extra mana for a Stifle on that ability now .
    If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck, it's probably delicious.
    Team ADHD-To resist is to piss in the wind. Anyone who does will end up smelling.

Quote Originally Posted by Maveric78f View Post
    I never figured out that stifle has almost multiplied by 4 its price since I bought it.
    I don't know where that guy buy cards, but Stifle's price is not 20$ by far.

Sep 2007
    Roseville, MN

Quote Originally Posted by frogboy View Post
    Generally the only reason to play Stifle is if you need to stop a Storm spell on turn one on the draw or you are going after a fetchland.
    These are both really important things. Also, since Stifle costs less mana than Trickbind, Stifle effectively has some built-in counterspell protection. It creates a bigger mana deficit for the opponent and shows up a turn earlier. For example, a turn one Stifle is very difficult to counterspell due to the opponent's underdeveloped hand/manabase, and most of the time, the opponent will end up spending more mana to counter it than you spent to play it anyway.

Yeah, check ebay. Stifle is selling at around 12 apiece including shipping.
    DraftMagic.com - The best draft caps by the worst drafters on the net.

Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder's eye on the last Day

Before extended season ended they were close to $20, but now it is rotating out so it is around $12.

May 2008
    Iowa

In decks like DreadStill, you could argue in favor of Trickbind. When a person plays a Dreadnought, the opponent would rather counter the Stifle and not the Dreadnought, so the Dreadnought resolves.
    Not really. I've played the deck extensively, and there's no doubt in my mind at all that trickbind is inferior to stifle in nearly every scenario that has ever come up. The only reason we still run it is because stifling a dreadnought and still having stifle for fetches, storm triggers, ect., means that we need more than four. The real problem is the little in the manacost. It means you can't stifle that first fetch, or that you have to leave extra open.

Remember when manaplasm was spoiled at ? Everybody was thrilled that we were getting another crazy awesome grow creature. We were all "Dryad and tarmogoyf have a new friend!" And then the cost was revealed as and immediately all the opinions changed to "Oh, dollar bin"? That's basically what's happening here.
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryPheldagrif
    The important thing is to always, always remember that while Brainstorm may require the tea-sipping socialite to think for 15 minutes as to the ideal configuration to optimize his carefully calculated 10 trillion branched decision tree of splendid victory, JUGGERNAUT ATTACKS WHETHER YOU LIKE IT OR NOT.

Jun 2009
    Sao Paulo - Brazil

Stifle is by far better than Trickbind except when you trickbind a fetch to screw their manabase and he want to force of will it.

Nov 2006
    London

Is there a post somewhere that has a list of all the relevant Stifle targets for each deck in Legacy?

I'm thinking viable targets for stifle would be against the new elf decks surfacing, with Survival and Natural Order.

Thread Information