Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What will dethrone Tarmogoyf?

Sep 2007
    Roseville, MN

Re: What will dethrone Tarmogoyf?

Reversegoyf
    Creature - Lhurgoyf
    ~'s power is equal to the number of card types among cards that aren't in any graveyards and its toughness is equal to that number plus 1.
    T: Remove a card in a graveyard from the game.
    */1+*

More German than Germans
    Jul 2006
    Madison/Muncie IN

Here's a thought: what has been the "best creature in the game" at different points of magic history? The first is arguably Whirling Dervish, then (??), then Morphling, then Exalted Angel, then (?? took a break at magic from this point) then Tarmogoyf. What makes each successful creature better than the first?
    Ich bin aueslander und sprechen nicht gut Deutsch

Feb 2008
    Hollywood

Quote Originally Posted by Meister_Kai View Post
    Here's a thought: what has been the "best creature in the game" at different points of magic history? The first is arguably Whirling Dervish, then (??), then Morphling, then Exalted Angel, then (?? took a break at magic from this point) then Tarmogoyf. What makes each successful creature better than the first?
    Kird Ape, Juzam Djinn, Ernham Djinn, and Serendib Efreet were all considered slightly better than Whirling Dervish at the time that it was the hotness. I'd say Kird Ape was the defining creature of the 1994 meta.

I think Lackey was considered the best creature for a long time actually. But I guess tribal synergies don't count for this.

(' ' '\( 0 ,o)/''')
    May 2004
    Northern Virginia

Psychatog and Wild Mongrel were the best creatures in the game when I got back into Magic around '03. I want to say that Exalted Angel and Piledriver were the next big hits. In fairness, Exalted Angel was a lot better with Mana Drain.

Of course, Worldgorger Dragon was also the shit at the time, but it wasn't really a creature. I would also say that Decree of Justice and Eternal Dragon became the best creatures in control, supplanting Angel, sometime around '04.

As soon as Mirrodin came out, Goblin Welder and Metalworker started becoming really fucking good, and by extension Sundering Titan.

Somewhere around in here Phyrexian Negator, Nantuko Shade, and Hyppie at least started to get some respect, largely through the dedication of people like Anwar, although it wasn't until Red Death that that suite was taken very seriously.

Let's see. Kamigawa didn't change much, although the separating of the 1.5 and Vintage banned lists certainly did. Metalworker and Worlgorger Dragon were a lot worse once they got banned. Losing Recruiter hurt Goblins a lot, which actually ditched the card advantage engine initially to go Goblin-Sligh, with Akki Avalanchers/Raiders bringing in a bit of new presure. Survival decks were the rage for a while, with Wall of Roots probably as the best 4-of, followed by Quirion Ranger, Rofellos, Genesis, Anger, Squee, and Tradewind Rider. Landstill was pretty much the same, with less people playing Anger but DoJ and Dragon still being beatings. Eternal Witness gave several decks, but mostly Survival a shot in the arm.

Watchwolf was supposed to bring Zoo back, but didn't really do too much when Ravnica came out. This era saw more Goblins dominance. Neither Life from the Loam nor Ichorid-Dredge saw much play initially.

Pretty much the strongest creature was Lackey for at least two years. You had to be able to handle first turn Lackey at a real Legacy tournament. Obviously the other goblins played their part, but it's hard to separate any other one goblin out as being particularly more menacing; some decks didn't want to see the fast Warchief-Piledriver hands, while others worried about Ringleaders into Siege-Gangs.

Pretty much the strongest creature was Psychatog -> Worlgorger -> (bannings) -> Wall of Roots/Rofellos care package -> Decree of Justice -> Goblin Lackey -> Tarmogoyf.
    For my confessions, they burned me with fire/
    And found I was for endurance made

When they print a 5/5 for two with no drawbacks.

Hella fuckin' balls to the wall awesome
    Mar 2008
    Maryland

Quote Originally Posted by TheInfamousBearAssassin View Post
    Rantings
    I love how you can post like, three, well written articulate paragraphs in any given thread and not say a goddamned thing that pertains to the topic at hand. Bravo sir, bravo.
    Team Unicorn: We're horny...get it?

Quote Originally Posted by Ewokslayer View Post
    You might want to go to a hospital. It appears you cracked your head open.

You are leaking stupid all over the internet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihil Credo View Post
    I masturbated on that picture of your cat.

Dan
    Sep 2008
    NoVA

Quote Originally Posted by beastman View Post
    I love how you can post like, three, well written articulate paragraphs in any given thread and not say a goddamned thing that pertains to the topic at hand. Bravo sir, bravo.
    Learn to read.

Quote Originally Posted by Meister_Kai View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TheInfamousBearAssassin View Post
    Psychatog ... Tarmogoyf.
    Rules Advisor

Plays green decks
    Nov 2006
    Portland

As a pure, undercosted beater, nothing will surpass Goyf. He was a mistake and even with this power creep he won't be matched.

Quote Originally Posted by Volt View Post
    Swords to Plowshares hasn't been outclassed. Brainstorm hasn't been outclassed. I seriously doubt Tarmogoyf ever will be.
    There has been a steady increase of the power level of creatures since Odyssey block. There is a good chance there will be new ground to break for powerful creatures. I could not say the same for creature removal or card drawing spells in the last 6 or 7 years.

To be fair, I highly doubt we will see something that is strictly better than Tarmogoyf in raw P/T comparison's. But that alone doesn't determine a card's power. New set mechanics are the wild card here. You only need to look as far as Threshold or Delve.
    "We are goblinkind, heirs to the mountain empires of chieftains past. Rest is death to us, and arson is our call to war."

Dec 2007
    Milan, Italy

Perhaps a black version of it.

Hella fuckin' balls to the wall awesome
    Mar 2008
    Maryland

A blue tarmagoyf with shapeshifting...
    Team Unicorn: We're horny...get it?

Quote Originally Posted by Ewokslayer View Post
    You might want to go to a hospital. It appears you cracked your head open.

You are leaking stupid all over the internet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihil Credo View Post
    I masturbated on that picture of your cat.

In the limited time I have played magic, best by block:

INV: Flametounge Kavu, Meddling Mage

OD: Psychatog, Wild Mongrel, Nantuko Shade

ONS: Eternal Dragon, Goblin Warchief and/or piledriver

MIR: Arcbound Ravager, Eternal Witness

CHK: Kokusho.

(insert long break here, from ravnica to just after alara reborn release)

LOR: Figure of Destiny, Kitchen Finks

ALA: Wild Nacatl, Wooly thoctar, Bloodbraid elf

Seems like a fair list off the top of my head.

Legacy Inept

Oct 2005
    France

Dark Confidant is just the best creature and you did not mention it. Shame on you.

Whirling Dervish, wtf? The concensus was pretty much Hypnotic Specter, hands down, until sixth edition rules made Morphling the hotness (although there may have been a period in there where Jackal Pup took the lead for a bit). Morphling was top dog pretty much all the way until Tog ate the world, and Tog wasn't properly dislodged until...probably Tarmogoyf, although if you want to say Lackey deserves a spot in between I wouldn't argue. I'm also not sure about Confidant but it's in the running.

Quote Originally Posted by heroicraptor View Post
    Learn to read.
    Remember, the question is "best in game," not "best in 1.5/Legacy".
    Quote Originally Posted by Bardo View Post
    Matt, basically everything you said turned out to be true.
    TeamReflection || noitcelfeRmaeT

My MOTL sale list

Playing solidarity on MWS because I love to masturbate.
    Aug 2008
    Arkansas

goyf will be top dog until they print an artifact with his ability that cost 2 with flash
    Join Team Short bus We have all the special People, We allow helmets at our tables.

Quote Originally Posted by Ertai's Familiar View Post
    Personally I ... find MWS to be as fun as running a cheese grater down my ballsack.

Quote Originally Posted by Nessaja View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Arctic_Slicer View Post
    Quoted for truth. Tarmogoyf with continue to be the creature until it gets banned or something better gets printed.
    So basically.. what you're saying is that the currently best creature will remain the best creature untill he gets banned or something better gets printed
    Congratulations. You have successfully repeated what he just said.

Which really wasn't worth that much internet space in the first place.

And now we're still talking about it. Dammit.

Team Lucksack - Founder
    Oct 2007
    Columbus, Ohio

Quote Originally Posted by Volt View Post
    Swords to Plowshares hasn't been outclassed. Brainstorm hasn't been outclassed. I seriously doubt Tarmogoyf ever will be.
    This is really an irrelevant and poorly constructed comparison. Spells were the god-damns when Magic was first printed. Wizards realized the spells were too strong and the creatures too weak, and have always been leery of printing overpowered spells since then. Take a look at how many spells vs how many creatures have been on the banned list over the ages. Hell, there may be more banned LANDS than creatures. Wizards has been creeping the power of creatures while limiting the power of spells. I don't think swords is as overpowered as, say, ancestral recall or black lotus, but wizards will never, EVER print anything remotely as powerful as black lotus, arguably the best spell ever printed. Saying the same for any creature is foolish. Take a look at IBA's list - I'm sure when each of those super-efficient creatures was printed, many players must have said "they will NEVER make a creature better than X," well they did, and they will continue to. Attacking with creatures is what makes Magic fun, and creates interactive games that swing back and forth. An environment of turn one combos does not make for a fun or diverse meta, and Wizards will keep that from happening as much as development/bannings will allow. Thus, to continue selling packs, not every set can be a fifth edition, full of power 'fixing' - a nerfed set that attempts to lower power. People like opening new, powerful spells and creatures and excitedly replacing 'inferior' older creatures and spells in their pet decks, but it will always be safer to print increasingly more powerful creatures than it will be to do so with spells, as at least with creatures, they will be running into similarly powerful creatures on the other side of the table. The same is not true for fast combo decks, barring the removal of force and drain from the reserved list. (While infusing the format with more 'unfun,' efficient counterspells and control strategies.)

tldr: goyf will be outclassed eventually, as Wizards insatiable desire for money will drive power creep, and creeping dudes is safer and more fun for the consumer than creeping spells. (While also requiring less work in R&D.)
    Quote Originally Posted by cdr View Post
    Phasing is absurdly complicated. Did you know that if a token phases out with Equipment attached to it, the Equipment phases out, the token will cease to exist and the Equipment will never phase back in?

Well, now you do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Media314r8 View Post
    "Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a night. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

Sep 2007
    Roseville, MN

Quote Originally Posted by ParkerLewis View Post
    Congratulations. You have successfully repeated what he just said.

Which really wasn't worth that much internet space in the first place.

And now we're still talking about it. Dammit.
    He was (presumably) pointing out the fact that the original statement had absolutely no point. Certainly at least one of these posts must be a troll, but which one is it?

Anyway, this is to follow Media314r8's argument: Over the years, creatures have seen a great escalation of power and functionality. Spells, on the other hand, have generally been decreasing in power. Path to Exile, Shock, Ponder, Cancel, and others have slowly replaced their original counterparts. Granted, they're still powerful, but they're clearly becoming less powerful. Even Brainstorm could be considered a downgrade of the original Ancestral Recall. Furthermore, Brainstorm and even Ponder have rather recently been restricted in Vintage.

In deck-building, it's common to see the same old spells from many years ago. Creatures are generally replaced much more readily. Many decks utilize newer creatures but the same old spells due to the disparity in the power-creep.

Thread Information