Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: [Portland Legacy] WTF

That's not my play, I'm just choosing to reveal it
    Oct 2011
    Portland, OR.

Re: [Portland Legacy] WTF

The next legacy tournament at Portal is going to be a qualifier for the legacy event at the Road to Worlds 5K in Medford, OR. For some reason it's not on the official schedule, but it's on the calendar on Portal's website. I have no idea how many people will show up but my guess is they will be giving away just 2 byes for first place (along with the regular dual land prize).
    Last edited by lochlan; 10-24-2011 at 12:00 PM.

Mar 2007
    RI

Sounds badass, I'll definitely try to be there.

I won't be able to attend this one, but next month I got the Saturdays off of work. Was wondering if anyone in the area is looking to test with me / just play some games for fun. I hardly know anyone in this town that plays Legacy right now. I play at Guardian Games on Tuesdays for pauper usually and Thursday for EDH, but generally I just hang out and would be down for whatever.

Oct 2011
    Portland, OR.

You probably already knew this but Guardian is doing legacy every Tuesday in December. (And full-proxy vintage all November, hollaaaaa!)

Administrator
    Nov 2003
    Portland, OR

Quote Originally Posted by lochlan View Post
    You probably already knew this but Guardian is doing legacy every Tuesday in December.
    Starting at what time?

Oct 2011
    Portland, OR.

Quote Originally Posted by Zilla View Post
    Starting at what time?
    It's on their website calendar, just like all their events. http://ggportland.com/calendar.html

Well that sounds cool. I actually wasn't aware they were switching up the schedule like that. I'm down for vintage too... please show up! We need some support at GG. (It's by far the closest to where I live :P)

Oct 2011
    Portland, OR.

Soooo apparently Guardian has canceled both their scheduled Vintage and Legacy events for November and December due to lack of interest.

It seems that is the state of eternal formats in Portland right now: nobody cares...

...except for the attendees at Portal Games, apparently. There ended up being enough people to give out the two byes tonight. Not sure who won (I left early)--but it was the Rock vs. (I think) some kinda Stoneforge build.

10-proxy Legacy tournaments are going to be held weekly now (I think partially due to lack of interest in modern), Saturdays at 6PM (this is all tentative so check the Portal Games calendar for more info later).

Also, now it will be only $5 to play every tournament until the final Saturday, which will be the same thing except for $25 entry and a much better prize. 100% of entry fees go towards prize support.

So, go to Portal Games, support the Legacy scene, and hone your skills against other competitive players.

Mar 2007
    RI

Quote Originally Posted by lochlan View Post
    The legacy event at the Road to Worlds 5K in Medford, OR.
    If anyone has extra car/floor space heading down from Portland, and is looking for someone to throw in on gas/boarding, shoot me a pm.

Oct 2011
    Portland, OR.

11 people showed up tonight (err last night) for Legacy at Portal and we were even missing one of the regulars. We played four rounds. There was a good variety of decks and everybody seemed to have a lot of fun, it sounds like most of the people who showed up will be regularly attending the $5 weekly legacy tournaments every Saturday at 6PM starting next Saturday (December 3). Also the last-Saturday tourneys will only be $15 to enter.

There is definitely a scene developing, come check it out!

I played last night and had a lot of fun. I'm Max, I played TES. It's good to see that there's a Portland Legacy scene brewing, hopefully some more people will catch on too.

I won't be able to make it next week though due to getting drunk, but expect to see me pretty regularly.

Oct 2011
    Portland, OR.

For those not already in the know, the scene is maintaining itself well. There are a good amount of regulars now and tournaments are drawing ~10 people weekly, almost always with 1-2 new faces per tourney. The decks are diverse, the level of play is high, and the $5 tourneys are stimulating deck experimentation in the best way.

So, legacy players of Portland, join us and help make this scene even bigger! That includes you, Zilla!

And Max, you should come back, the meta needs some good storm players! :)

Mar 2007
    RI

Bump for the guys at Portal. Tomorrow 1/28 is their monthly $15 buy in Legacy Event.

More info/upcoming events on their calendar: http://www.portalgamespdx.com/

6pm start, hope to see some new players.

Oct 2011
    Portland, OR.

Just bumping this in case any Portland players weren't aware of our full-proxy $5 weekly tournaments at Portal.

Oct 2011
    Portland, OR.

We stopped doing to the $15 events for awhile. They are now back, this time with no proxies.

So, the last Saturday of the month at Portal Games is $15 sanctioned Legacy for dual lands and other good stuff. All other Saturdays are our regular $5 full-proxy events.

Dec 2012
    Portland, OR

I recently moved to Portland and have been very impressed with the rate at which the scene has grown.
    Starting in the new year, two stores are adding weekly Legacy events.
    Epic Gaming on Wednesdays
    Guardian Games on Sundays
    And of course Portal Games on Saturdays.
    Turn out keeps climbing and its a great community, everyone should check it out!

Plays green decks
    Nov 2006
    Portland

Goodness it has been a while since this thread was active. Sorry for the necro. I know the Portland scene has definitely grown, but I figured I would revive this instead of starting a new post. I have been trying to get back into Legacy and I have seen a couple spots hold some Legacy tournaments. Guardian Games and Time Vault Games, the latter twice a week. How are these? Is attendance decent? Is it competitive? The locations are alright for me, but hey are not exactly across the street. Thanks for the info people and I would love to meet any Portlanders at an event.

Jan 2014
    Portland

Hey! What's going on? I am one of the active members of the current Portland Scene. Been watching it grow since 2012 myself and it really has come a long way. The most reliable tournaments we have are at Time Vault Games (where Portal once was.) Thursday nights are $5 entry. Cuts at 3 rounds no matter the attendance (unfortunately) and 3-0s/2-1s get store credit. Thursday can have as few as 12 and as many as 30 players. The Saturday night ones are $10 and are a lot more cutthroat because only the top 4~ get paid in good chunks of store credit. Guardian runs an afternoon event on Sundays but I am very unfamiliar with their details. I know that it's usually three rounds and they pay out in credit/packs. The scene is pretty competitive and the meta seems to be different every week thanks to people owning multiple decks. We also have a Portland Legacy MTG FB group that tends to stay pretty active. If you have more questions, let me know! :)

Plays green decks
    Nov 2006
    Portland

Quote Originally Posted by TheRedMenace View Post
    Hey! What's going on? I am one of the active members of the current Portland Scene. Been watching it grow since 2012 myself and it really has come a long way. The most reliable tournaments we have are at Time Vault Games (where Portal once was.) Thursday nights are $5 entry. Cuts at 3 rounds no matter the attendance (unfortunately) and 3-0s/2-1s get store credit. Thursday can have as few as 12 and as many as 30 players. The Saturday night ones are $10 and are a lot more cutthroat because only the top 4~ get paid in good chunks of store credit. Guardian runs an afternoon event on Sundays but I am very unfamiliar with their details. I know that it's usually three rounds and they pay out in credit/packs. The scene is pretty competitive and the meta seems to be different every week thanks to people owning multiple decks. We also have a Portland Legacy MTG FB group that tends to stay pretty active. If you have more questions, let me know! :)
    Awesome! That's really good to hear. It has been a while since I have played anything, but I am really happy to hear Portland has a shop to go to. Thank you for the info and hopefully I get to make it soon and meet you one of these weeks!

Jan 2014
    Portland

Absolutely! Let me know when you're thinking about making it out to one! I'm the dude with the fully foreign Elves deck lmfao.

Thread Information