Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: [Portland Legacy] WTF

Samurais suck
    May 2006
    Portland, OR

Re: [Portland Legacy] WTF

Problem is none of the stores in the PDX area seem to be willing to organize "monthly legacy tournaments with good prize support." I tried like Hell to resuscitate the Legacy scene around here a couple years ago, and ran into all kinds of resistance. For one thing, attendance was very inconsistent. Even some of the people who are in this thread right now saying"Gosh I wish there was good Legacy in Portland" wouldn't show up for many of the events that I went to great efforts to organize a couple years ago. For another thing, I ended up having to assume much of the risk to get the stores to hold the events. I finally got burned on one of the events and stopped trying.
    Team Info-Ninja: Shhh... We don't exist.

Plays green decks
    Nov 2006
    Portland

Summer is here... anyone... anyone...

I get back from Iraq in like a week, and I'm stationed in WA. I'm gonna be getting into Legacy and could probably make a weekend tourney with a few weeks notice.

Plays green decks
    Nov 2006
    Portland

So not many people seem interested in trying to get the summer legacy scene going. Anyway, I just check otherworldsgames.com and it looks like they don't even have legacy on the calender anymore. Nothing to worry about, imo since I'm sure Ron will be happy to work things out as long as people come to play legacy on Sunday.

Plays green decks
    Nov 2006
    Portland

BUMP. I really want to play with my magical cards that have been sitting in a box for months.

The Ineffable
    Nov 2007

Amazing stories has a weekly Legacy tournament on Saturdays at 6pm. It has been going on for little over a month. I thought it was worth mentioning.

2101 East 4th Plain Boulevard
    Vancouver, WA 98661
    (360) 433-9407
    Quote Originally Posted by Rico Suave View Post
    Few things are as vague, nondescript, and frustrating as when people talk about tempo on a MTG website.

Hey there folks. I'm new to this forum after having siphoned very useful information from it over the last week or so :) I'm just getting back into magic since high school, since I remembered what a ridiculous amount of fun it was after playing a few rounds with my friend's cards.

Anyway, right now I live in San Francisco but I'm trying to move to Portland within the month. I'm really interested in getting involved with the scene, and Legacy is easily the only format I'm interested in playing. Unfortunately I don't have any access to cards or players for this format at all right now, but we'll see if I can't put something shoddy and cheap together soon, hahaha.

I probably won't be able to add to your competitive scene right away due to my lack of cards / funds, but I am a competition-minded gamer of multiple genres, so you can expect me to put in my time to improve myself. Hope to see some events get going, and if not, I'm always down to play some casual (but skill-oriented) legacy.

Jul 2004
    College Station, TX

Make sure you find Ancient Wonders in Tualatin and Other Worlds in the Portland area. Ancient Wonders is one of the best shops I've ever been around. The building is a little old, but the owner George is nice, fair, and generous. I'd always rather spend a few extra dollars at his shop instead of ordering something online (plus, you get it immediatly and can see the condition before you buy it).

Good luck scaring up some Legacy in town!
    InfoNinjas

Thanks for the tips, I will be sure to check those places out.

Also, sorry to the mods for bumping an ancient thread. I just looked up anything on Portland and it came up. Any groups still regular meeting in Portland / possible tournaments for legacy these days?

Yeah It seems dead but I don't really think so, where's the legacy tournaments at? I need get my game on soon.

The Ineffable
    Nov 2007

Pretty much only two shop exist in the area that support Legacy and they are Ancient Wonders and CCG House.

CCG House is located in Vancouver and they have a monthly event. The next one will be May 28th, Start Time: 2:00pm, Entry Fee: $10.00. Store information at http://www.ccghouse.com/retail_store

Ancient Wonders is located in Tualatin and they also have a monthly event. The next one will be May 21, Start Time: 1:00pm, Entry Fee: $20.00. Store information at http://www.ancientwonders.net/index.html (click on the "Calender" to see event information)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rico Suave View Post
    Few things are as vague, nondescript, and frustrating as when people talk about tempo on a MTG website.

So, I'm in Portland for a couple weeks visiting my sister. Seems like there are no Legacy events. I talked to the dude at Loki's Games, and he said they had been trying to do weekly Legacy, but no one ever really showed up. Anyone know anything?
    Bless your heart, we must consider Blue/White Tempo's strategy and win percentages in an entirely different deck thread. -4eak

Mar 2007
    RI

I'm going to be moving to Portland this Fall, definitely hope to check out the Legacy scene on the other side of the country. Realistically, I'll probably be more interested in larger monthlys, than having the time to commit to weeklys, but guess I'll see what's up once I get settled.

Administrator
    Nov 2003
    Portland, OR

Guardian Games has an unsanctioned Legacy tournament scheduled later this month. Apparently any number of proxies are allowed, so even those without the staples can get their game on. I suspect if they see enough interest in it this month they'd be willing to do it again.

Plays green decks
    Nov 2006
    Portland

Quote Originally Posted by Zilla View Post
    Guardian Games has an unsanctioned Legacy tournament scheduled later this month. Apparently any number of proxies are allowed, so even those without the staples can get their game on. I suspect if they see enough interest in it this month they'd be willing to do it again.
    Are you talking about their "Playing with the Classics" thing? It does look like Legacy is going to be part of it in the third week. I need to get a Legacy deck together and the only thing keeping me from doing so is the lack of actual tournaments or times to use it. I wish there was more interest for Legacy in Portland.

Nov 2004
    Portland, Oregon

I think I'm like a lot locals: interested in playing, lazy when it comes to organizing, but would be happy to show up if I thought there would be more than just a handful of players.

If there was even the slightest effort to get people at any kind of these events on this site, like just a bare minimum of organizing (e.g. "I'm going to <blah, blah, blah>'s Legacy tournament on <whenever>, who's joining me?"), I would most likely be there. I used to do this back in the day -- if you dig into the archives of this site -- confirming with the shop owner, asking if there will be any kind of decent prize if they get over <x> players, then sending some PMs and posting about it.

I nominate you Jak! Figure something out.

Plays green decks
    Nov 2006
    Portland

Quote Originally Posted by Bardo View Post
    I think I'm like a lot locals: interested in playing, lazy when it comes to organizing, but would be happy to show up if I thought there would be more than just a handful of players.

If there was even the slightest effort to get people at any kind of these events on this site, like just a bare minimum of organizing (e.g. "I'm going to <blah, blah, blah>'s Legacy tournament on <whenever>, who's joining me?"), I would most likely be there. I used to do this back in the day -- if you dig into the archives of this site -- confirming with the shop owner, asking if there will be any kind of decent prize if they get over <x> players, then sending some PMs and posting about it.

I nominate you Jak! Figure something out.
    Oh how I wish I could! I work weekends and most weeknights and have been looking forward to trying some Legacy when I have a free Saturday morning or something. I really don't have the ability to reliably schedule things or set anything up. :(.

So.... can anyone here tell me if any stores are still doing Legacy? Guardian Games sort of canned their 'Playing With the Classics' on Tuesdays due to lack of interest (even myself and 2-3 others tried to go every week) which has been replaced with pauper tournaments every Tuesday. I'm kind of cool with it, because I'm starting to love pauper, but one of these days I'd like to get my Legacy on. Talked to the guy at Ancient Wonders too, who apparently doesn't want to do it again due to a failed experiment with it before.

Any suggestions? I know there are some stores I haven't checked out. Hell, I'd be down just to have a play group for Legacy, let alone competitive events...

That's not my play, I'm just choosing to reveal it
    Oct 2011
    Portland, OR.

To those looking for a Legacy tourney in Portland: biweekly 10-proxy legacy tournament at Portal Games downtown.

Every other Saturday is a 10-proxy tournament. The owner recently posted a thread on northwestmagic.com that shows the prizes.

Last week I won a Plateau. Let's get more people there so I can win a better dual

They also have a monthly full-proxy vintage tournament (guaranteed FoW, woot!), which is definitely the only gig in town for that format. The store has a good play space, prices are decent, and the owner is super nice. I'll see you guys there!

That looks badass! Unfortunately this month I'm working til 9 both of the days for the tournament... but maybe soon I'll be able to check it out.

Thread Information