Thread: Declaring Attackers + Cryptic Command

EOT, Vial Morphling?
    Jun 2008
    Maine

Declaring Attackers + Cryptic Command

If I say to my opponent I want to declare attackers, and he then casts Cryptic Command to tap my creatures, I will receive priority again in my 1st Main Phase, correct?

It's to my understanding that my opponent is casting the Cryptic in my Main Phase, when I pass him priority before moving to the Declare Attackers phase. And, since he is casting it in my Main Phase, I'll gain priority again in that Main Phase.
    Team MAINEdeck - Like Meandeck, but without the skill, maturity, and interesting states to live in.

Dan
    Sep 2008
    NoVA

Re: Declaring Attackers + Cryptic Command

No. The way you described it, you'd be in the Beginning of Combat Step.
    Rules Advisor

This is a shortcut issue - "declare attackers" is shorthand, not a rules term. See the Shortcut section in the Magic Tournament Rules.

MTR 4.2 - Tournament Shortcuts:

• A statement such as "I'm ready for combat" or "Declare attackers?" offers to keep passing priority until an opponent has priority in the Beginning of Combat step. Opponents are assumed to be acting then unless they specify otherwise.
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.
    -David DeLaney

Site Contributor
    Aug 2008

I´ll use the topic for a similar question:

I have 3 Creatures. I assign 2 of them to attack. Then, he taps those 2 creatures. They were already attacking, or he could have tapped them in the declare attackers phase?
    Super Bizarros Team. Beating everything with small green dudes and big waves.

Sep 2007
    Roseville, MN

Make sure that you're super clear about what step you're in. There's no use in trying to "trick" your opponent. I had a judge make a really stupid call against me in this regard. Basically, I tapped one of my opponent's equipped creatures when he moved to combat, and the judge said that it was still the main phase so he could move the equipment to an untapped creature.

Quote Originally Posted by ScatmanX View Post
    I´ll use the topic for a similar question:

I have 3 Creatures. I assign 2 of them to attack. Then, he taps those 2 creatures. They were already attacking, or he could have tapped them in the declare attackers phase?
    A cost of attacking is tapping the creature. If you've already attacked, your opponent can't do anything about it.

However, you do have to give your opponent priority before you declare attackers; that's what a phrase like "Declare attackers?" is for. If you rushed into attacking, you're going to have to back up to let your opponent have a chance to respond.

Quote Originally Posted by Malchar View Post
    Make sure that you're super clear about what step you're in. There's no use in trying to "trick" your opponent. I had a judge make a really stupid call against me in this regard. Basically, I tapped one of my opponent's equipped creatures when he moved to combat, and the judge said that it was still the main phase so he could move the equipment to an untapped creature.
    Being clear is good, but it sounds like the judge made an incorrect ruling. Tell the judge about the shortcut policy, and appeal if possible. If the ruling stands, talk to the judge about it afterwards.
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.
    -David DeLaney

Thread Information