View Poll Results: Most bannable card in Legacy? (not that they will touch it)

Voters
192. You may not vote on this poll
  • Brainstorm

16 8.33%
  • Force of Will

4 2.08%
  • Lion's Eye Diamond

35 18.23%
  • Counterbalance

34 17.71%
  • Sensei's Divining Top

103 53.65%
  • Tarmogoyf

46 23.96%
  • Phyrexian Dreadnaught

2 1.04%
  • Goblin Lackey

4 2.08%
  • Standstill

6 3.13%
  • Natural Order

8 4.17%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 642 of 1178 FirstFirst ... 1425425926326386396406416426436446456466526927421142 ... LastLast
Results 12,821 to 12,840 of 23542

Thread: All B/R update speculation.

Re: All B/R update speculation.

Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Miracles was top dog before Dig, that's not going to change with a ban.
    Why is anyone discussing banning a worse card in the same color, with less usage, less utility, less versatility and a vastly lower power level than Brainstorm? Let's discuss banning Gitaxian Probe next.

Quote Originally Posted by iatee View Post
    My theory is that omni is an underplayed deck relative to how strong it is because people would rather play more interesting / difficult decks.
    I agree with this as well. The 'gentleman's agreement', if half the field played it, nobody would ever show up to play at all.

Jun 2015
    NYC

Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post
    Why is anyone discussing banning a worse card in the same color, with less usage, less utility, less versatility and a vastly lower power level than Brainstorm?

Why not both?

But really, brainstorm is so entrenched in legacy that I don't think wizards is ready to rock that boat, at least not until there's some huge popular uprising. And w/ an ever increasing number of people on brainstorm decks, it's hard to get people to look at things from a neutral POV rather than 'I don't want them to ban a key card in a very expensive legacy deck I own.'

Whereas DTT is still a relatively new card and is not particularly cherished by anyone but Omni players and doesn't even give people the impression that they're playing a skill-testing format.

Jun 2015
    NYC

And I mean, while I absolutely think banning brainstorm would be 'good for the format' in terms of gameplay and viable decks, there's a good argument that it would make so many people bitter that it would still be 'bad for the format'.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

All I know is that watching and playing legacy is quickly losing my interest. Dig is just miserable in my opinion and has incentivized players to play the mass amounts of BS, Ponder, Probe, whatever. Before you kind of at least had to build around those can trips of you wanted to play them. Imo dig has become so powerful that it forces you into playing 12+ can trips and such. Brainstorm should be banned, but it never will be and I've accepted that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post
    Why is anyone discussing banning a worse card in the same color, with less usage, less utility, less versatility and a vastly lower power level than Brainstorm?
    If WotC want to ban a card because Miracles is too strong (which it isn't), Why would they ban the most versatile card in the deck? It would make more sense to ban a card which is less versatile and will therefore result in less splash damage to other decks (which WotC are not trying to curb).

Obviously DTT is similarly versatile, so that's out too. But if the incentive for a ban is that Miracles is believed to be OP, why not ban something that will only hurt Miracles?
    Supremacy 2020 is the modern era game of nuclear brinksmanship! My blog:
    https://fieldmarshalshandbook.wordpress.com

You can play Lands.dec in EDH too! My primer:
    http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/t...lara-lands-dec

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    All I know is that watching and playing legacy is quickly losing my interest. Dig is just miserable in my opinion and has incentivized players to play the mass amounts of BS, Ponder, Probe, whatever. Before you kind of at least had to build around those can trips of you wanted to play them. Imo dig has become so powerful that it forces you into playing 12+ can trips and such. Brainstorm should be banned, but it never will be and I've accepted that.
    +1

Dig for UU is also much stronger then Brainstorming twice

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

It's not all bad, I am able to play with four Ancestral Recall and 8 tutors. That more or less keeps me in the game against everything.

The format is not totally Blue. Yet.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

bruizar

DTT should be treated as a draw 7. If DTT is legal, Wheel of Fortune, Timetwister, and Memory Jar might as well be. Since those cards aren't legal in legacy, neither should DTT.

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

It's not all bad, I am able to play with four Ancestral Recall and 8 tutors. That more or less keeps me in the game against everything.

The format is not totally Blue. Yet.
    Some day they will make U Instant, destroy all elves.
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Site Contributor
    Feb 2010
    Denver, CO

Some day they will make U Instant, destroy all elves.
    You mean Terminus?
    Lord of the Chalice

Quote Originally Posted by Julian23 View Post
    Since playing against Spiral Tide provides a lot fun for both players is something only someone who's not had sex for quite a while could enjoy, I pull out GW Maverick.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brainstorm Ape View Post
    Spikes are supposed to enjoy winning by leveraging their talents, but this card can't fetch the most SKILL INTENSIVE card in all of Magic?

Clearly aimed at Modern plebs, not gonna be a pillar of our format.
    Stompy Discord: https://discord.gg/6cesvkz

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral_Arzar View Post
    You mean Terminus?
    Damn. You got me there. Fuck Terminus too. If I ran the ban list I would simply ban every card played in the latest miracles list.

Bands with Others
    Jul 2009
    NY, NY

Quote Originally Posted by iatee View Post
    My theory is that omni is an underplayed deck relative to how strong it is because people would rather play more interesting / difficult decks. Miracles is maybe overplayed for the same reason, at least by a lot of people who would have higher win %s if they were just jamming Show and Tell -> Omniscience.
    I tend to agree and see it the same way.

I never really enjoy playing SnT, but I enjoy winning prizes over playing a deck that is more fun and rewarding to play(not in terms of prizes). Those decks are probably the most objectively powerful decks in the format. The opponent has 7 or less cards to answer it and if they cant then they lost on the spot. Out of all the decks that win instantly SnT is the most efficient at doing it. It cuts out large portions of the game like playing to outs, red zone math, and incremental advantages. SnT ignores most of the things that make magic games fun and skill testing. Not that everyone can just top 8 GPs if they pilot SnT as skill is still involved in playing any deck through numerous rounds of good opponents.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavius The Great View Post
    Respect my shine bitch!

Quote Originally Posted by bruizar View Post
    DTT should be treated as a draw 7. If DTT is legal, Wheel of Fortune, Timetwister, and Memory Jar might as well be. Since those cards aren't legal in legacy, neither should DTT.
    If I didn't know better I'd swear you were intentionally posting nonsense in order to discredit the whole anti-blue movement.

Nobody is going to take tripe like this seriously. Are you actually trying to generate discussion, or are you just venting?

bruizar

Quote Originally Posted by Crimhead View Post
    If I didn't know better I'd swear you were intentionally posting nonsense in order to discredit the whole anti-blue movement.

Nobody is going to take tripe like this seriously. Are you actually trying to generate discussion, or are you just venting?
    I am dead serious. You can disagreee with me and that's fine. Blue lists have access to sideboarded cards in ways non blue decks don't. If you've watched the stream on twitch this weekend or last weekend, you would have seen plenty of examples where DTT 1) drew into sideboard hate 2) the 8th card was the hate card 3) a follow up ponder sourced from the DTT dug into sideboard hate. When you see 7-10 cards in a turn and get to keep 2 of them, chances are you'll beat decks that don't have access to these efficient selection/digging tools.

Dec 2014
    West Lafayette, IN

Other colors do have ways to find hate;

White: Enlightened tutor(only artifact and enchantment); SFM (only equipment hate)

Red: Burning Wish(sorcery); Imperial recruiter (only creatures of low power)

Green: Green Sun's Zenith(only creatures) ; living wish (creature or land)

Black: entomb/reanimate hate piece (just creatures).

However It is noted that these pieces have something in common...they are usually very specific and mostly create card disadvantage. DTT creates card advantage and gives you ability to see more of your deck. and it puts them into hand its not even card draw!

I'm not a big fan of hypothetical comparisons. DTT is not draw 7, it's look at 7 and draw 2. But that doesn't matter, the card is still busted and it will get banned sooner or later.

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

I find that I have to stop and translate every time I see Brainstorm referred to as "BS". At first, I only see "bullshit". Then I stop to consider the context, translate, and get to "Brainstorm". Then I think again and realize that my first thought of the acronym was just as correct.
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

Quote Originally Posted by bruizar View Post
    I am dead serious. You can disagreee with me and that's fine. Blue lists have access to sideboarded cards in ways non blue decks don't. If you've watched the stream on twitch this weekend or last weekend, you would have seen plenty of examples where DTT 1) drew into sideboard hate 2) the 8th card was the hate card 3) a follow up ponder sourced from the DTT dug into sideboard hate. When you see 7-10 cards in a turn and get to keep 2 of them, chances are you'll beat decks that don't have access to these efficient selection/digging tools.
    Reliably finding aside-board card =/= drawing seven. You are defending a statement different than the statement I was calling you out on.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimhead View Post
    Reliably finding aside-board card =/= drawing seven. You are defending a statement different than the statement I was calling you out on.
    I play a lot of dredge at my local store. If the game gets to a point where someone is casting DTT they might as well draw seven as most often they will find the hate they are looking for. This mind you is a corner case. It's extremely frusterating when this happens, more often than not if I don't have enough damage for the swing back I've lost the game. Seeing seven is completely out of control for the price of UU.

Thread Information