View Poll Results: Most bannable card in Legacy? (not that they will touch it)

Voters
192. You may not vote on this poll
  • Brainstorm

16 8.33%
  • Force of Will

4 2.08%
  • Lion's Eye Diamond

35 18.23%
  • Counterbalance

34 17.71%
  • Sensei's Divining Top

103 53.65%
  • Tarmogoyf

46 23.96%
  • Phyrexian Dreadnaught

2 1.04%
  • Goblin Lackey

4 2.08%
  • Standstill

6 3.13%
  • Natural Order

8 4.17%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 770 of 1178 FirstFirst ... 270670720760766767768769770771772773774780820870 ... LastLast
Results 15,381 to 15,400 of 23542

Thread: All B/R update speculation.

Jun 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona

Re: A Revolution in Legacy!

Quote Originally Posted by ChaosOS View Post
    The issue with black disruption is that "the cantrip cartel" is incredibly powerful at nullifying the effects of it (See: Thoughtseize/IoK in modern) and that non-blue decks tend to empty their hands fast enough that discard doesn't do anything after turn 4/5. Do we really think we can get that much more powerful than Unmask, Thoughtseize, Hymn to Tourach, and Cabal Therapy?

I'll just contrast this by talking about discard in modern. One, modern is a faster format with generally more fragile strategies, making discard powerful due to its proactivity and giving hand vision. Two, decks have a harder time recovering from discard since the cantrip options simply aren't that good (Have any of you even played with Serum Visions?). Three, the counterspells in the format are a lot worse, making discard one of the better options for answering "odd" strategies, plus there's no good prison like countertop to help secure the late game for reactive decks. Instead UWR is stuck playing Nahiri as a slower Mentor without a way to lock the opponent out prior to dropping her.
    I did say that black disruption was much worse than blue disruption but it shouldn't take much imagination to think of a non-balanced discard spell.

Bam - B
    Instant
    Split Second
    Target Player Discards Their Hand.

This would immediately make counter spells much worse and discard would suddenly be better than counter magic.

The issue is that permanent based disruption has gotten a huge boost in power level and play ability in the past few years giving us a way to disrupt an opponent that is competitive and doesn't rely on playing blue. Since the balance of playable disruption has changed from U vs B we 1) get a more varied format and 2)have to deal with the disruption packages differently.
    "eggs... why'd it have to be eggs"

Aug 2015
    The woods again

Quote Originally Posted by lavafrogg View Post
    Traditional disruption has always been the golden standard for years and as blue disruption vastly overpowered black based disruption the blue shell became the best shell to disrupt your opponents plans. Now that permanent based disruption is a viable strategy the way that we trade cards for cards has to adjust to be able to interact with the disruption which is being played.
    I think permanent-based disruption has long been both part of the format and entirely viable. Also, eight cards do not constitute a "shell."
    All Spells Primer under construction: https://docs.google.com/document/d/e...Tl7utWpLo0/pub
    PM me if you want to contribute!
    Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    Just in time for Valentines Day 💝

Roses are red, violets are blue
    Omae wa mou shindeiru
    Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    Quick question, are you also still waiting for the great pumpkin it did you finally pick it in once December hit?
    Quote Originally Posted by iatee View Post
    I am tired of malicious top 8s and it is time to put an end to the practice.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Deuce View Post
    I think permanent-based disruption has long been both part of the format and entirely viable. Also, eight cards do not constitute a "shell."
    4 Brainstorm, 4 Ponder, 4 Force is kind of a shell.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Aug 2015
    The woods again

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    4 Brainstorm, 4 Ponder, 4 Force is kind of a shell.
    I don't know that I agree with you. You're still looking at a "shell" that encompasses anything from Miracles to High Tide to S&T to Berserk Poison.
    All Spells Primer under construction: https://docs.google.com/document/d/e...Tl7utWpLo0/pub

Omae wa mou shindeiru
    Quick question, are you also still waiting for the great pumpkin it did you finally pick it in once December hit?

Jun 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona

I don't know that I agree with you. You're still looking at a "shell" that encompasses anything from Miracles to High Tide to S&T to Berserk Poison.
    We are talking in broad generalizations here but if you say force/brainstorm/ponder as a shell then the win wondition isn't what we are talking about because the win condition varies per playstyle and meta. The shell is a blue based cantrip engine with force of will...fill the rest in was needed.

Big Fat Hard Kicks, Oh My God I Want That Shit!
    Apr 2011

We are talking in broad generalizations here but if you say force/brainstorm/ponder as a shell then the win wondition isn't what we are talking about because the win condition varies per playstyle and meta. The shell is a blue based cantrip engine with force of will...fill the rest in was needed.
    Thats like saying Tin Fins (with Force) and Miracles are just the same deck trying to win in different ways...

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Well tin fins doesn't play force. I'd argue that brainstorm/ponder/probe is certainly a shell as well. Tin fins and storm are both very similar decks with varying win conditions. Basically every blue deck at this point is play brainstorm, ponder, and probe or force (or both in derp Delver decks). Just because miracles and grixis have varying win conditions doesn't mean games don't look very similar. Basically spend the first couple turns durdling with cantrips and maybe forcing or removing things while you do it, them establish your board and win the game. Do the same thing with tin fins/storm except instead of removal they use discard before they win. Congratulations. You now have the legacy format
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Aug 2015
    The woods again

Just because miracles and grixis have varying win conditions doesn't mean games don't look very similar.
    No, they really don't.

Basically spend the first couple turns durdling with cantrips and maybe forcing or removing things while you do it, them establish your board and win the game. Do the same thing with tin fins/storm except instead of removal they use discard before they win. Congratulations. You now have the legacy format
    You might as well say, "Maverick and High Tide play games exactly the same way. They stop their opponents from playing good cards and build up a land base before killing the opponent."

Your argument follows a really reductive line of reasoning. At what point do decks diverge practically in the methods they use to disrupt, threaten, lock, or otherwise win the game against the opponent if all that matters to your argument is the methods they use to develop their game plans? Why is the focus on the cards that enable decks to develop their game plans consistently and not on the cards they use to do those other things? Why doesn't anyone express the same vexation over fetchlands or duals?

Utility cards provide utility. They are not a shell. They are not the engine decks use to win. They enable a variety of (often unique) engines and playstyles, but that's very different from saying that they are the engines that win the game themselves. If you go down that road, it's really not difficult to say that decks that play lands are all using the same engine to win the game: they accumulate resources using uncounterable permanents, then use those resources to play cards that damage or hobble the opponent until the game's over.

And again, the cards in question comprise at most just over a quarter of each deck of which they are a part (I can't imagine how Gitaxian Probe and Force of Will became part of the debate). Why that bothers people so much I really don't understand. Maybe it's just that I've gotten hosed by Eldrazi and D&T enough times to see that the so-called cartel is by no means inviolable.

Again, I'm not trying to be snide with this; I just don't see any merit to the argument that cards that increase consistency are the things that define decks and playstyles. Sure, they enable those decks and playstyles—perhaps they're what define the format for a lot of people—but that's very different from saying that they define the decks that run them.

It's worth pointing out that every cantrip takes a slot that's rather more useful if it holds a piece of permission or business. The trouble is that decks that run cantrips can't play added permission or business without coming apart at the seams. D&T, Eldrazi, Mav, Elves, Painter, Dredge, and Lands don't seem to have that problem.

Omae wa mou shindeiru

Jun 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona

Ronald, my man, my main dude, when I used the term "broad generalization" I meant exactly that. A broad generalization of decktypes in the legacy meta game. We are also talking about the DtB section which means that Tin Fins is not apart of the conversation.

Tier 3 decks have not been tested to be optimal or are just not as powerful as the tier 1 strategies.

Meagadeus is exactly right with his last post in that at a very basic level the blue shell plays the same set of cards or "shell" as we have been saying.

My excitement with the current mets is that every deck doesn't have to start with 4xbrainstorm and all of the cards that the one mana instant implies i.e. Blue duals, blue fetches, force/ponder/jace/whatever.

Going back to my post I was excited that there was a blue deck, a chalice deck, and two wasteland/port prison decks. lots of non blue, hurray!

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Maybe the actual revelation of this thread will be for the community to realize that mainboard, versitile, artifact and enchantment hate is something that needs to be considered seeing how every deck in the DtB fourm(and most of the Established decks as well) have main board targets.
    Mind coming over to the Elves thread, because I am sick repeating that more Rec.Sages are valuable because of all the targets in the meta and relying on just 1 is no proper way to adress the flood of targets?

Thanks
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

The crazy nastyass honey badger

Dec 2013
    A desk chair, The Netherlands

Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    Mind coming over to the Elves thread, because I am sick repeating that more Rec.Sages are valuable because of all the targets in the meta and relying on just 1 is no proper way to adress the flood of targets?

Thanks
    Hey, we've been telling you to start your gangsta rapping for the longest time now. You've only got yourself to blame, mister.
    Quote Originally Posted by cavalrywolfpack View Post
    DAMMIT ECHELON

Well everybody in the non-blue camp must feel great at the moment. Cards have been so pushed lately, just look at d&t they got Thalia 2.0, Recruiter and Sanctum Prelate. When has a deck gotten so many new powerful tools in such a short timespan?

I don#t understand how think it's better to have more chalice and wasteland/port decks than decks with cantrips. I for one like to play against the latter much more.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Hey, we've been telling you to start your gangsta rapping for the longest time now. You've only got yourself to blame, mister.
    I am trying new paths like a feature artist on my next smash hit ;)
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

It's not easy being green

Jul 2010

Quote Originally Posted by MorphBerlin View Post
    Well everybody in the non-blue camp must feel great at the moment. Cards have been so pushed lately, just look at d&t they got Thalia 2.0, Recruiter and Sanctum Prelate. When has a deck gotten so many new powerful tools in such a short timespan?
    Correction: D&T players are happy. Been ages since Elves saw something on the level of this year's D&T madness - 2012 with DRS, Decay, Hoof which put the deck on the map again. After that we've gotten like... Cavern which is harder to utilize than in eg. Goblins or Eldrazi. Maybe Shaman of the Pack if that counts.

Quote Originally Posted by MorphBerlin View Post
    I don't understand how think it's better to have more chalice and wasteland/port decks than decks with cantrips. I for one like to play against the latter much more.
    Waste/Port decks are okay IME, but CBTop/Chalice is often land something before the lockout card lands, "have fun" drawing a card a turn until you die.
    Last edited by Zombie; 10-18-2016 at 10:37 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear
    (On Innistrad)
    Yeah, an insanely powerful block which put the "derp!" factor in Legacy completely over the top.

Site Contributor
    Jan 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Zombie View Post
    Correction: D&T players are happy. Been ages since Elves saw something on the level of this year's D&T madness - 2012 with DRS, Decay, Hoof which put the deck on the map again. After that we've gotten like... Cavern which is harder to utilize than in eg. Goblins or Eldrazi. Maybe Shaman of the Pack if that counts.
    I'd argue Reclamation Sage is probably the best card Elves has gotten recently. Your point stands though, but the Elves shell doesn't really have many flex slots to be fair. At least not in its current shell(s).
    For those interested in the latest Ancient decks (and the format in general) visit: http://ancientmtgdecks.blogspot.ca/

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Elves also benefitted greatly from the changes to the Legendary supertype. Obviously Lands benefitted more, but really only those two decks saw a significant benefit from the change.

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Maybe the actual revelation of this thread will be for the community to realize that mainboard, versitile, artifact and enchantment hate is something that needs to be considered seeing how every deck in the DtB fourm(and most of the Established decks as well) have main board targets.
    I agree with this statement here, however the one issue that I have with this is that as long as decay exists, like tarmogoyf being the best vanilla dude, there is not much else that is even worth running. I've brewed decks up and 2-3 vindicate and just thought to myself, this is honestly just better off being decay most of the time. Obviously decay is less flexible, but being instant gets around the port decks and uncounterable has its obvious benefits. So I agree that the format is hitting a point where having a catch all removal spell is important, the problem is that decay is far and away the best one, with probably councils judgement trailing fairly far behind.

Site Contributor
    Oct 2014
    Melbourne, Australia.

Quote Originally Posted by Zombie View Post
    Ex-Goblins player here (), please don't complain about Elves not getting enough love from Wotc.
    Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post
    Dat 1/1 with built in pump. Watch out Griselbrand here comes lizard mid range.
    Quote Originally Posted by Von View Post
    Is this a troll or are gobbos really dtb?

Just call me Dick.
    Feb 2011
    Your mom's house.

Ronald, my man, my main dude, when I used the term "broad generalization" I meant exactly that. A broad generalization of decktypes in the legacy meta game. We are also talking about the DtB section which means that Tin Fins is not apart of the conversation.
    TinFins is always part of the conversation!

What were we talking about again? Oh yeah, how the format has changed, but really it hasn't, and it still sucks, unless you like how it is and then it doesn't.
    I think the biggest thing is the deep seeded emotional understanding that the right play is the right play regardless of outcomes. The ability to make a decision 5 straight times, lose 5 times because of it, and still make it the 6th time if it's the right play. - Jon Finkel

"Notions of chance and fate are the preoccupation of men engaged in rash undertakings."

It's the shell that keeps you from being flooded, or mana screwed. While asmadi guy draws 5 lands in 7 draw steps and goes to the bar. It's the shell that lets a 9 year old Brainstorm into 2 Invigorates and put back 2 extra lands in a flurry of skill intensive, while the not-blue player can't hit his 3rd land drop in his 23 land deck and gets wrecked by a fetus.

Thread Information