View Poll Results: Most bannable card in Legacy? (not that they will touch it)

Voters
192. You may not vote on this poll
  • Brainstorm

16 8.33%
  • Force of Will

4 2.08%
  • Lion's Eye Diamond

35 18.23%
  • Counterbalance

34 17.71%
  • Sensei's Divining Top

103 53.65%
  • Tarmogoyf

46 23.96%
  • Phyrexian Dreadnaught

2 1.04%
  • Goblin Lackey

4 2.08%
  • Standstill

6 3.13%
  • Natural Order

8 4.17%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 424 of 1178 FirstFirst ... 324374414420421422423424425426427428434474524924 ... LastLast
Results 8,461 to 8,480 of 23542

Thread: All B/R update speculation.

May 2007
    Italy, Eternal

Re: All B/R update speculation.

Dig is amazing in control but really, both of those new cards are still nowhere as played as Brainstorm or even Ponder. Calm your tits.

Joe Cool Above All
    Sep 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Rizso View Post
    Have you played with it? There is a reason twin have raised a mile above pod and scapeshift have move into a tier1 deck. 2 Mana 2 card demonic tutors for the decks.
    I have, but isn't this a Legacy discussion?

Apr 2009
    Sweden, Trelleborg

Quote Originally Posted by HSCK View Post
    I have, but isn't this a Legacy discussion?
    We did talk about it in a modern ot, for legacy I dont think it will be. Cruise might not be axed even.

Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    I honestly don't think people have worked out how good it is.
    It's an instant that gives card advantage and deep dig. How can that not be broken when the realistic cost of casting it for the first time is delve 5 with 1 mana left open for Daze or going delve 6 if you're worried about Spell Pierce?

It's wrecked in a control list that can reliably get the opponent to 1 or 2 cards in hand and then start baiting with tapouts as early as turn 4 or 5. If you get forced or dazed or whatever it doesn't matter because then they're hellbent and you're control and we all know how that story ends 95% of the time. I'm just surprised it hasn't turned into a 2 or 3 of in Miracles at this point. Yes, it doesn't have full synergy but it is ridiculously powerful in that type of list anyway.

banned

Jul 2013
    black metal bed room

Quote Originally Posted by FoolofaTook View Post
    I'm just surprised it hasn't turned into a 2 or 3 of in Miracles at this point.
    Nobody wants to play 63-cards deck.

Quote Originally Posted by testing32 View Post
    I would argue that brainstorm is better than mystical tutor, mind twist, black vise and earthcraft. I find that comical.
    Mind Twist, Black Vise, and Earthcraft I'll give you, but no one thinks those really need to be on the banned list anyways.

Mystical Tutor on the other hand? Crazy Talk.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by FoolofaTook View Post
    It's an instant that gives card advantage and deep dig. How can that not be broken when the realistic cost of casting it for the first time is delve 5 with 1 mana left open for Daze or going delve 6 if you're worried about Spell Pierce?

It's wrecked in a control list that can reliably get the opponent to 1 or 2 cards in hand and then start baiting with tapouts as early as turn 4 or 5. If you get forced or dazed or whatever it doesn't matter because then they're hellbent and you're control and we all know how that story ends 95% of the time. I'm just surprised it hasn't turned into a 2 or 3 of in Miracles at this point. Yes, it doesn't have full synergy but it is ridiculously powerful in that type of list anyway.
    1) because it's another card beside Jace, Terminus and Entreat you don't want to see in your opener
    2) it's cmc is jackshit for Counterbalance
    3) The cardadvantage isn't much relevant with CounterTop & Terminus already creating cardadvantage
    4) the card selection is pointless with Brainstorm/Ponder/SDT/Fetchlands/Jace already part of the deck.
    5) Aside the cantrips, Fetches and Plowshares, the deck mainly runs permanents that don't feed DTT
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Quote Originally Posted by mlschuma View Post
    Mystical Tutor on the other hand? Crazy Talk.
    Before mystical tutor was banned it had no where near the penetration that brainstorm does now. It wouldn't see play in delver.

Edit: How many current decks would trade in their brainstorms for mystical tutors? Mystical would be pretty sick with miracles but I'm not even convinced that deck would get better if BS got the axe. You would be left with Jace as your only option to put miracle cards back on top of your deck. I don't think Show and Tell gets better and I'm not even sure that a storm player would want to make that trade.

So, Mystical fits into fewer decks and the decks it does fit into it probably isn't as good as brainstorm.
    Last edited by testing32; 10-30-2014 at 08:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post

#skillintensive #pillaroftheformat #formatstaple #reducesvariance #goplaymodern #everyonewouldquit #somethingnonsensicalaboutvintage
    Sticky this imo
    Nowhere do you see: Efficient Answers to Other Cards. Force and MMS will never be banned. Deal.
    Bardo, Site Admin

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Before mystical tutor was banned it had no where near the penetration that brainstorm does now. It wouldn't see play in delver.

Edit: How many current decks would trade in their brainstorms for mystical tutors? Mystical would be pretty sick with miracles but I'm not even convinced that deck would get better if BS got the axe. You would be left with Jace as your only option to put miracle cards back on top of your deck. I don't think Show and Tell gets better and I'm not even sure that a storm player would want to make that trade.

So, Mystical fits into fewer decks and the decks it does fit into it probably isn't as good as brainstorm.
    Delver? What about jamming 4 Mystical + 1 Treasure Cruise + 1 Temporal Mastery into the deck? TimeWalk and Ancestral Recall on demand without bricking your hand and both flip Delver if placed with mystical tutor on top of your Library.

OmniTell would no longer need to run clunky stuff like Dream Halls because ... hey ... virtual 8 S&Ts!

Storm had with 4 Infernals and 4 Mysticals basically 9 Ad Nauseams and 9 Past in Flames in the deck instead of 5. Land, LED, LED, Gitaxian Probe, respond to Probe with Mystical, respond to Mystical by breaking the Diamonds, YOLO
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Mystical Tutor is way too good with all the miracles cards -> Entreat, Terminus, Temporal Mastery, Bonfire ..

Sep 2010
    Warsaw, Poland

2) it's cmc is jackshit for Counterbalance
    already unlocked achivement - counter opponent TC / with Dig on top :)

Edit: How many current decks would trade in their brainstorms for mystical tutors? Mystical would be pretty sick with miracles but I'm not even convinced that deck would get better if BS got the axe.
    I would expect that at some critical density, top deck tutors + Temporal Mastery/Reforge the Soul becomes degenerate.

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

I may have missed something here, but there is Personal Tutor for those, though I don't pretend it is the same thing.
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

I really wonder where we're heading with basically 4x Ancestral Recall legal in the format. The number of UR Delver decks are constantly rising on MTGO, and so does the number of Brainstorm decks (currently 74.26%).

We are certainly approaching slowly but surely a level where something has to be banned.

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    I really wonder where we're heading with basically 4x Ancestral Recall legal in the format. The number of UR Delver decks are constantly rising on MTGO, and so does the number of Brainstorm decks (currently 74.26%).

We are certainly approaching slowly but surely a level where something has to be banned.
    On that subject, I am already moaning about the dumbasses who read the runes and say "There are more Brainstorms than Treasure Cruises in the top x of tournmants y and z. Treasure Cruise is not the problem.
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

May 2007
    Italy, Eternal

Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    I may have missed something here, but there is Personal Tutor for those, though I don't pretend it is the same thing.
    No instant is a big deal i guess. I'm not sure it would be too good, but mystical would be surely played, and played quite a bit. It's no Tax.

Dec 2011
    Norway

Agreed. I hope they ban Treasure Cruise and keep Brainstorm legal.

get outta here, humanity.
    Jun 2009
    Butugychag

Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    There is also Entomb->Noxious Revival.

Super Viable

Is UR Delver going to be on top for long after the meta has adjusted to the fact that it *is* here to stay?

Is it going to be more dominant than RUG Canadian was for awhile?

Both of those things have to be true for WotC to ban something in the next B&R announcement.

The odds are really good that UR Delver isn't even the best list once you take TC and DTT into account. It's just the most obvious one and so people are flooding towards it. If it's getting people to actually buy Volcanics at inflated prices and enter the Legacy meta in the process the store owners will be happy. That's lots of additional sales of various overpriced staples down the road. That's all WotC cares about.

Maybe TC was designed to do exactly that? Put a little cheap thrill out in front of the next generation and see if you can get them to buy $1,000's worth of staples in the process.

Thread Information