View Poll Results: Most bannable card in Legacy? (not that they will touch it)

Voters
192. You may not vote on this poll
  • Brainstorm

16 8.33%
  • Force of Will

4 2.08%
  • Lion's Eye Diamond

35 18.23%
  • Counterbalance

34 17.71%
  • Sensei's Divining Top

103 53.65%
  • Tarmogoyf

46 23.96%
  • Phyrexian Dreadnaught

2 1.04%
  • Goblin Lackey

4 2.08%
  • Standstill

6 3.13%
  • Natural Order

8 4.17%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 509 of 1178 FirstFirst ... 94094594995055065075085095105115125135195596091009 ... LastLast
Results 10,161 to 10,180 of 23542

Thread: All B/R update speculation.

Sep 2010
    Missoula, MT

Re: All B/R update speculation.

On another topic, Survival of the Fittest has gained quite a bit of monetary value in the last two weeks. I don't know what that really means, but I would guess some people are speculating (or have inside knowledge) of an unban.

I don't really know how that would affect the meta, but it would definitely spawn a new deck.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by FoolofaTook View Post
    And if GSZ was an auto-include in 70% of the lists at the top tables it would be banned at the next update. Think about it.

Also, GSZ is not an auto-include even in lists including green creatures. If the list is mainly green creatures then it's probably going to get a slot but if the list is two or three colors it probably won't. Maverick is the exception to the rule. Jund doesn't play GSZ, BUG doesn't play GSZ, RUG doesn't play GSZ, etc.
    Actually, what decks DO play GSZ? There's Maverick, Elves and Nic Fit, but that's about it, unless you want to go pull out rather exotic decks like Sylvan Plug.

About 8% of all the decks in meta run GSZ, and that can be mainly attributed to Elves.

No nonblue card that can be cast comes even close to the penetration Brainstorm has.

Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by burtonbaron62 View Post
    On another topic, Survival of the Fittest has gained quite a bit of monetary value in the last two weeks. I don't know what that really means, but I would guess some people are speculating (or have inside knowledge) of an unban.

I don't really know how that would affect the meta, but it would definitely spawn a new deck.
    Now that's rather interesting. Survival never had a price spike like that after its ban. That does look kinda similiar to the rise of Bitterblossom about two weeks before its unban.

It could be all speculation in the end, but there was also the Vengevine MOCS promo in December. To be fair, Mike Turian is an incompetent dick and sucks at his job. However, if it was really unbanned, people with insider knowledge would buy out the combo pieces as well, which isn't the case.

I'll believe it when I see it.

I didn't mean to question GSZ's representation in the metagame. It should be blatantly obvious that my statement is geared the % of GSZ in any primarily green deck. To call RUG and BUG green is silly, since they run the famed "blue shell".

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear
    If you would have read ANY of my previous posts on the topic, you knew I talked about the bolded only, but you obviously did not. That's why I said you should fucking stop to put words in my mouth, smartass.

I also said that the gap between Brainstorm + Ponder and Ponder + Preordain (with Brainstorm banned) is much smaller than the one between Ponder + Preordain and running no cantrips at all, which resulted into my prediction that running without cantrips (read: the blue cantrip shell) does not get more attractive in terms of consistancy and card selection. Ergo, there is no reason that the number of non-blue decks should automatically increase and the effect of the banning of a single cantrip vanishes, not to talk about the side effects on decks like Miracles and the streamlining of (aggro-)control shells and combo decks.

Edit: AznSeal already wrote down a step-by-step guide for comprehending. ;)
    OK. I got it. Tell me if I got this right now. We are agreed that Brainstorm is better than the other cantrips. But where I see reducing the cantrip engine as a positive step, you see it as a fool's errand because the other cantrips are also very good.

Am I understanding you so far?
    Good.

My problem was that I did not know you had a spidey sense about predicting the metagame that the rest of us can only dream about.

I suppose that every time Miracles sets up the mid-combat Terminus by swapping it out with Brainstorm, that would be just as well served its replacement, Preordain. In fact, without Brainstorm I do not think I can even keep a hand with Terminus in it any more. (A player better versed in Miracles can feel free to correct that.) Then you have to ask yourself how many Terminus is really best for a deck that has to get to Jace to use it once the card is in hand. And oh man, is the decision on when to Top more painful in the early turns. Can't draw that Terminus or you are sunk. Not much of a deck any more, mate.

How about Sneak Attack swapping duplicate Grisels for a useful card? I suppose that is no big deal for that deck. Or Storm confidently snapkeeping a hand with Brainstorm, extra lands, and insufficient something else because the player is intimately familiar with the concept of shuffling. I suppose Preordain is a great way to swap out those cards too.

Or you might be referring to the idea of putting Batterskull back in the deck because you are holding a Mystic. And how that is just as well served by Preordain.

and on and on...

I'm sure you are right. It is such a small impact that it is not worth bothering with. No matter. Kill away, Mr. McManus.
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Rabblemaster would be a huge anti-Goyf card.
    Can you explain your reasoning here? It sounds like you are just making stuff up... Like if I said "SFM is a huge anti-Emrakul card."

So Goblin Rabblemaster is a second main phase play instead of a first main phase play. It's an EoT drop in via vial. It lands after Goblin Lackey has attacked. It's still a ridiculously good card with any Goblin haste enabler and the Goblin shell has a lot of those.
    You've never actually played Vial Goblins, have you?

Administrator
    Nov 2003
    Portland, OR

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    Also WotC R&D is totally reading right now. In fact, I think Richard Garfield himself is a regular visitor to The Source, and will probably step in and do something if we all bitch and moan enough.
    God I wish that were true. I stumbled across a copy of his high school yearbook in a local thriftstore and I would love to get it signed.

Jan 2014
    Berlin, Germany

FINN
    My problem was that I did not know you had a spidey sense about predicting the metagame that the rest of us can only dream about.
    No spidey sense need just logical thinking and math. If a card increases consitency and it get banned than the deck who wants to
    increase the consistency will look for replacements. Since Legacy has these in form of ponder and co. the only thing will happen is that you see ponder and preordain instead of ponder.
    Remember each addtional card you draw actually doubles you chance to get what you need to defend yourself against the current foe. So the blue decks wil not decrease but just change the cantrips they play. The Blue shell will remain intact and you still will have to play against Tempo decks and Miracles and co.

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    Actually, what decks DO play GSZ? There's Maverick, Elves and Nic Fit, but that's about it, unless you want to go pull out rather exotic decks like Sylvan Plug.

About 8% of all the decks in meta run GSZ, and that can be mainly attributed to Elves.

No nonblue card that can be cast comes even close to the penetration Brainstorm has.

Edit:

Now that's rather interesting. Survival never had a price spike like that after its ban. That does look kinda similiar to the rise of Bitterblossom about two weeks before its unban.

It could be all speculation in the end, but there was also the Vengevine MOCS promo in December. To be fair, Mike Turian is an incompetent dick and sucks at his job. However, if it was really unbanned, people with insider knowledge would buy out the combo pieces as well, which isn't the case.

I'll believe it when I see it.
    If you believe the numbers from mtgtop8.com only 19% of the Legacy meta has included green creatures over the last 2 months and 4% of that was Elves. So GSZ is going in about 40% of the lists that have green creatures which seems about right. Lists with green creatures over that span: Infect 4%, Elves 4%, Maverick 2%, Canadian Thresh 2%, BUG Aggro/Midrange 2%, everything else below 2%.

Quote Originally Posted by Kanti View Post
    I didn't mean to question GSZ's representation in the metagame. It should be blatantly obvious that my statement is geared the % of GSZ in any primarily green deck. To call RUG and BUG green is silly, since they run the famed "blue shell".
    What's interesting is that if Bant makes a comeback in a metagame without Brainstorm it may very well choose to run GSZ to deploy it's toolbox. It doesn't have room for both at this point. Obviously GSZ, while reducing variability and getting around things like Chalice@1 or 2, isn't the same kind of asset that Brainstorm is. This is kind of a perfect example of where Brainstorm is depressing another very playable card's value in a list that otherwise would love to run it to find the things it needs to find.

Like I said before above, thinking RUG and BUG are green decks is silly. I'm strictly talking about decks that don't use the "blue shell", as they are required to fill it with some other shell. When it comes to green creature decks that is the "GSZ shell" I beleive, and it will continue to be so as GSZ will only get better, and better as time goes on. Brainstorm is to tempo decks, control, and combo what GSZ is to green mid-range creature decks, that can also fall into different archetypes like mid-range control (Maverick), and combo (Elves).

If you are main-decking Savannahs, or Bayous, and running 16+ creatures, you are probably running GSZ. Not saying something doesn't have to be done about this cantrip shell, by the way. I think Ponder and TC can go. 70% is a little out of hand. Banning Brainstorm will weaken many t1 strats, but also kill off many t2 decks.

As for price spikes, Reset went up in value from like 13.50 (was this much on abugames in mid-december) to 32 freaking dollars. What in the hell happened there? Someone expalin that to me! Maybe Frantic Search unban coming? Time to order 4 more foils just in case.

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

Quote Originally Posted by Teveshszat View Post
    No spidey sense need just logical thinking and math. If a card increases consitency and it get banned than the deck who wants to
    increase the consistency will look for replacements. Since Legacy has these in form of ponder and co. the only thing will happen is that you see ponder and preordain instead of ponder.
    Remember each addtional card you draw actually doubles you chance to get what you need to defend yourself against the current foe. So the blue decks wil not decrease but just change the cantrips they play. The Blue shell will remain intact and you still will have to play against Tempo decks and Miracles and co.
    Right. So Brainstorm is just a card. No particular advantage over other cantrips. In that case, why don't you join all the other geniuses who have burned their Brainstorms and embrace the power of Sleight of Hand. As you say. It still lets you see more cards than just topdecking. I'm sure you will do splendidly.
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

Finn, what would be your opinion if Ponder, Preordain, and TC got banned?

Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    OK. I got it. Tell me if I got this right now. We are agreed that Brainstorm is better than the other cantrips. But where I see reducing the cantrip engine as a positive step, you see it as a fool's errand because the other cantrips are also very good.

Good.

I suppose that every time Miracles sets up the mid-combat Terminus by swapping it out with Brainstorm, that would be just as well served its replacement, Preordain. In fact, without Brainstorm I do not think I can even keep a hand with Terminus in it any more. (A player better versed in Miracles can feel free to correct that.) Then you have to ask yourself how many Terminus is really best for a deck that has to get to Jace to use it once the card is in hand. And oh man, is the decision on when to Top more painful in the early turns. Can't draw that Terminus or you are sunk. Not much of a deck any more, mate.

How about Sneak Attack swapping duplicate Grisels for a useful card? I suppose that is no big deal for that deck. Or Storm confidently snapkeeping a hand with Brainstorm, extra lands, and insufficient something else because the player is intimately familiar with the concept of shuffling. I suppose Preordain is a great way to swap out those cards too.

Or you might be referring to the idea of putting Batterskull back in the deck because you are holding a Mystic. And how that is just as well served by Preordain.

and on and on...

I'm sure you are right. It is such a small impact that it is not worth bothering with. No matter. Kill away, Mr. McManus.
    Bolded part is specifically what his problem is. Sans brainstorm, you lose a bunch of decks that have issues with clunky cards in opening hands and a bunch of fringe decks. Is that a big deal? I think so, as do others here. What is also big is sans just that ability, (I.E. BS away a terminus or an extra Griselbrand, or w/e) those decks seem to just get replaced by decks that look way more identical than currently being complained about. Something like the last example where if you already have Skull in hand + a mystic, that's no so bad. In that case, ponder + preordain still fixes your draws, you still cast all your spells on time and find exactly what you are looking for, you just lose some minor functionality.

Minus Brainstorm it's very possible that cards like Terminus and Emrakul and Griselband aren't playable, and to that I say: bring it on!

Nothing like having the most abusive cards in the meta die to their own double-edged nature - which Brainstorm prevents right now. I mean when the opponent casts Terminus you're pretty much screwed. When they get Griselband or Emrakul or Omniscience in play same thing. It'd be nice if there were counterbalancing negatives that were associated with those cards as well. To make up for the fact that they just royally screw the opponent when they are seen in context and usually too early to do much about it.

Mar 2013
    Bury, Manchester, England

Good.

and on and on...

90% of my keeps with Miracles in them are because Brainstorm exists, the rest are incorrect.
    Quote Originally Posted by useL View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by twndomn View Post
    If you pay me or give me some benefits, I might consider writing reports.
    Can I pay you for not posting in this thread?
    The conspiracy goes deeper than you might think.

Quote Originally Posted by Einherjer View Post
    That's.... that's not how deckbuilding works.

Site Contributor

Jun 2013
    Philadelphia, PA

Good.

and on and on...

Dropping Brainstorm might force Sneak and Show onto more of a Sneak/Reanimator hybrid, sort of like how BUG/UB reanimator often runs Show and Tell as a backup plan (though I've been seeing more and more people using Pack Rat as the backup plan recently). Another tack could be to become more of a combo-control deck that just finishes by cheating in Emrakul or Griselbrand, like the deck briefly did when it would board Jace in. Without Brainstorm the second path seems more robust, and because you're no longer a dedicated combo deck, you can just run fewer dead cards, filling the newly empty enabler and monster slots with some combination of library manipulation, counterspells, and removal. In the case of Miracles, some other UWx control deck likely takes its place, but that deck probably looks a lot like UWx Stoneblade (and let's be serious, x = r in all likelihood) because it's harder to play the dedicated control plan in the face of the format's current threat package without instant speed Wrath for W. Some might try Scroll Rack, but I doubt it would work well enough. So in the best case one combo deck either becomes more like another combo deck or spawns a sort-of new combo-control deck, and the format's one real control deck turns into an existing aggro-control deck.

While I agree with the position that the other cantrips aren't nearly as bad relative to Brainstorm as they're made out to be, I also think that those who think banning Brainstorm would represent some kind of godsend for nonblue decks are ignoring Force of Will as a big reason to play a blue-based deck. Lots of people really hate losing to combo, or just having highly polarized matchups in general, and Force fixes a lot of those problems. When I switched to playing Shardless and TA from playing Enchantress, it wasn't for Brainstorm, and it certainly wasn't because my matchups against the so-called "fair" decks were bad. It was because I hated being cold to combo, and even splashing black for discard wasn't enough.

What's interesting is that if Bant makes a comeback in a metagame without Brainstorm it may very well choose to run GSZ to deploy it's toolbox. It doesn't have room for both at this point. Obviously GSZ, while reducing variability and getting around things like Chalice@1 or 2, isn't the same kind of asset that Brainstorm is. This is kind of a perfect example of where Brainstorm is depressing another very playable card's value in a list that otherwise would love to run it to find the things it needs to find.
    See above. Bant is actually probably the best example of a deck that isn't widely played because it gains so little from its blue splash. It's mostly a GW creature deck, which means it has barely enough cards to support Force and so is more reliant on slow interaction like Meddling Mage for its supplemental disruption than something like BUG and Esper, which have discard, or RUG, which doesn't bother with clunky midrange like Stoneforge (or even Deathrite) and is just on the "soft counters and kill you" plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Zilla View Post
    God I wish that were true. I stumbled across a copy of his high school yearbook in a local thriftstore and I would love to get it signed.
    Best post in the thread.

Jan 2014
    Berlin, Germany

Finn
    Right. So Brainstorm is just a card. No particular advantage over other cantrips. In that case, why don't you join all the other geniuses who have burned their Brainstorms and embrace the power of Sleight of Hand. As you say. It still lets you see more cards than just topdecking. I'm sure you will do splendidly.
    Thats not what I said and yoiu know this. I never doubted brainstorm is more powerfull than the other cantrips. What I said is that banning Brainstorm will no one prevent anyone from playing Blue Shell and will not decrease the percentage of players who are playing blue. The reason for this is that from a mathematical standpoint of view the rest of the cantrips increase the consitency enough to continue to play them despite of the Brainstorm ban.

If you want I can give you the formula for this and you can make some examples on your own. Maybe than you will see why banning Brainstorm wil change nothing.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Quote Originally Posted by Teveshszat View Post
    If you want I can give you the formula for this and you can make some examples on your own. Maybe than you will see why banning Brainstorm wil change nothing.
    You are missing Finn's point...

It looks like the two of you have begrudgingly agreed Brainstorm is:
    A.) a cantrip
    B.) the best cantrip

So let's pause for a second and rejoice that these are agreed upon facts!

Okay great!
    Finn spent a good deal of his post describing specific common situations in Legacy where Brainstorm's unique form of cantripping allows for more powerful gameplay over other cantrips.

So to say 'banning Brainstorm will change nothing' is not true! All the situations Finn described will have drastically different outcomes because the other cantrips keep your hand and library separate.

Tevesh, you are stating the % of players playing blue decks will not change because blue shell decks will just go -4 Brainstorm, +4 Preordain (or whatever). And this is also likely true. But banning Brainstorm would have an affect on the format.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Nielsie View Post
    I much prefer the current meta + 6 year old decks than only the current meta. I think that's obvious. The more valid decks, the better the meta-game, the more fun I have in Legacy. Offcourse that is subjective, I like a wider and more open meta-game. I can understand other people prefer a small restricted meta-game, but just admit it then!
    We never, in the history of the whole format, had more than 4 strategically different Decks to Beat (I worded it that way because I tive a fuck about the various flavors of Tempo Delver shells). The "open meta-game" in regards to tournament Magic is a hoax like I showed in the 2006 example. You can look at the Hatfields metagame analysis articles and see the same.

We get Junk back, more than just Maverick. We get Suicide Bw back. We probably get Goblins back with some updates. It's insane that Goblin Rabblemaster didn't revive Goblins given the synergy. That's exactly the controlling card for the long game that Goblins has been missing. It's the card that makes Aether Vial to 3 actually a good play on the way deeper into the curve, and Goblins has always had cards deeper into the curve they were looking to cheat into play. It's the card that should have revived Goblin Lackey. We might even get some of the more control centric lists back once Miracles isn't 10x better than any of them.

The meta has been so constrained by a few lists over the last several years.
    I got it before, dood. You are angry that Goblins isn't a DtB anymore despite it's remarkable run from 2003-2007 without ever adapting or changing until Tarmogoyf came im May 2007 and Shard of Alara in Oct. 2008 curbstomped the remains of Goblins with a new generation of creatures. Blaming a deck which got it's center cards in May 2012 is laughable.

Good.

and on and on...

Even if I feel that precious posters did a good job responding to this, I'd like to add a point here and there. My argument is not that banning Brainstorm wouldn't "hurt" blue in general because there are other cantrips to take it's place, it that I consider the actual impact of that banning on the current position of the metagame color composition pretty marginal because the blue cantrip shell woild remain the surpreme tool for reducing variance, BUT ... and that's the mayor point, which has to be considered as a result of banning Brainstorm ... it would cripple decks like the mentioned Miracles in a mayor way.

Would you seriously want to keep playing those clunky, conditional cards like Entreat or Terminus which are dead in your grip unless you get to resolve your 4 mana planeswalker? Would you want to keep playing conditional cards like Daze or Stifle if you can't shuffle them away after turn 3? What does the tournament player in you say? Can you sustain to lose games because you drew conditional, low poweres cards in the wrong moment or do you share my sentiment, that it's smarter to play less conditional cards and deck which have generally less dead draws in it? If you draw the Batterskull and already have the SFM in hand, you can still fetch a Jitte and don't suffer at all. This is something which is completely different to drawing an Entreat in the first turns or the third Griselbrand/Emrakul while you are looking for a S&T.

So back to the earlier point made: Why is it undesirable to cripple Moracles and Co.? Unless you think it's reasonable to ground your whole Miracles deck on a resolved Jace (Which I'm sure you consider madness as I do), it's pretty desirable to switch to a subtype of deck which is less vulnerable to variance by running less conditional cards than Miracles does. I feel that Blade variants qualify for this (I could write also about S&T, but that's basically just the other side of the medal) and here the desire to create "diversity" may backlashs, if all the Uxx control, tempo and aggro-control pilots try to find a new shell with a minimum of variance. How likely is it that, if Daze, Terminus and other conditional cards are "unplayable" because of their conditionality, all those players eventually head in the same direction of the "lowest common denominator". This basically results into merging all these Delver, Blade, Miracles, Team America, etc. decks into one supertype, especially if Ponder+Preordain+Cruise still remains as a strong core known for its excellent support of aggro-control types, if you ask me.

Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by Ace/Homebrew View Post
    But banning Brainstorm would have an affect on the format.
    We ALL agree on that. That was never the question. The question is: Does it affect Legacy in a positive way if Miracles and other decks which are build on partly highly conditional cards predictably vanish especially under the aspect of "format diversity" and serious doubts about ANY effect on the playability of non-blue Archetypes
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Pray for Rain
    May 2010
    Philadelphia, PA, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    Would you seriously want to keep playing those clunky, conditional cards like Entreat or Terminus which are dead in your grip unless you get to resolve your 4 mana planeswalker? Would you want to keep playing conditional cards like Daze or Stifle if you can't shuffle them away after turn 3? What does the tournament player in you say? Can you sustain to lose games because you drew conditional, low poweres cards in the wrong moment or do you share my sentiment, that it's smarter to play less conditional cards and deck which have generally less dead draws in it? If you draw the Batterskull and already have the SFM in hand, you can still fetch a Jitte and don't suffer at all. This is something which is completely different to drawing an Entreat in the first turns or the third Griselbrand/Emrakul while you are looking for a S&T.

So back to the earlier point made: Why is it undesirable to cripple Moracles and Co.? Unless you think it's reasonable to ground your whole Miracles deck on a resolved Jace (Which I'm sure you consider madness as I do), it's pretty desirable to switch to a subtype of deck which is less vulnerable to variance by running less conditional cards than Miracles does. I feel that Blade variants qualify for this (I could write also about S&T, but that's basically just the other side of the medal) and here the desire to create "diversity" may backlashs, if all the Uxx control, tempo and aggro-control pilots try to find a new shell with a minimum of variance. How likely is it that, if Daze, Terminus and other conditional cards are "unplayable" because of their conditionality, all those players eventually head in the same direction of the "lowest common denominator". This basically results into merging all these Delver, Blade, Miracles, Team America, etc. decks into one supertype, especially if Ponder+Preordain+Cruise still remains as a strong core known for its excellent support of aggro-control types, if you ask me.

Well phrased. I didn't fully grasp your point until this.
    Matt Bevenour in real life

Thread Information