View Poll Results: Most bannable card in Legacy? (not that they will touch it)

Voters
192. You may not vote on this poll
  • Brainstorm

16 8.33%
  • Force of Will

4 2.08%
  • Lion's Eye Diamond

35 18.23%
  • Counterbalance

34 17.71%
  • Sensei's Divining Top

103 53.65%
  • Tarmogoyf

46 23.96%
  • Phyrexian Dreadnaught

2 1.04%
  • Goblin Lackey

4 2.08%
  • Standstill

6 3.13%
  • Natural Order

8 4.17%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 408 of 1178 FirstFirst ... 308358398404405406407408409410411412418458508908 ... LastLast
Results 8,141 to 8,160 of 23542

Thread: All B/R update speculation.

Site Contributor

Jun 2013
    Philadelphia, PA

Re: All B/R update speculation.

Yeah, I don't think Frantic Search would be a problem, and making a deck better while hurting no other deck seems great.

Quote Originally Posted by AggroControl View Post
    Storm Combo can't win on turn 1 without some form of zero casting cost artifact dropping. TES has 8-11 zero cc artifacts in the list. ANT has 8-9. Dredge's best starts come off of LED on turn 1. Belcher has 12 zero cc artifacts. Ooops All Spells has 8 zero cc artifacts and wins off of Summoner's Pact a lot of the time.

Give me a Chalice at zero before combo has played and I'll be about 80% confident I am winning that game.
    Shows how narrow minded you are. Winning on turn 1 without a zero drop? Here's a hand that does so:

4 dark ritual
    1 Gitaxian Probe
    1 Infernal Tutor
    1 black producing land

Probe into 3 more probes, storm 4. Last probe draws a cabal ritual. Land into 4 dark rits, storm is 8. Cabal ritual is 9. Infernal is 10. Tendrils for 22.

Yeah the scenario isn't likely to happen, but look you can win turn 1 without zero drops. It's also VERY reasonable to be able to win through a chalice at zero through cantripping into a lethal combination of dark rits and CRits + infernal. Still get hellbent because you can just ram any zero drops you want into chalice. If you think chalice at zero wrecks storm 100% of the time I have news for you. Chalice at zero and one? Sure then you're doing well for yourself. But just chalice at zero will not consistently beat storm.

I want frantic search to be legal just to play solidarity with it and see what happens.

WGD is not a logistical nightmare because who is going to sling it at a tournament? We don't have bazaar here. So you have to have a way to pitch worldgorger, a way to protect it in all likelihood, the reanimation spell, and something to do with infinite mana in hand. I just listed 4 cards. 4 card combos are hilariously bad. Not to mention stuff like stroke and such outside the combo are quite bad. Instead of this you can just go careful study into a reanimation spell getting griselbrand and win seeing as how griselbrand is infinitely better than WGD.
    Bread Connoisseur on MTGSalvation Forums
    Currently Playing:
    All flavors of storm combo
    Quote Originally Posted by Vacrix
    Lands is a joke for Solidarity. Its like asking a morbidly obese parapalegic to run the mile with his shoes tied.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Ritual View Post
    Shows how narrow minded you are. Winning on turn 1 without a zero drop? Here's a hand that does so...
    Isn't the traditional example:
    1x Mountain
    4x Rite of Flame
    1x Dragonstorm

I tend to think that Frantic Search has very strong synergy with graveyard strategies as well as high tide. People would test it with things like Past in Flames and dredge.

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

Search would not go in Dredge.

Tap 3 gemstone, send one to the grave, untap two gemstone, do nothing with the remaining mana because you have nothing left in hand because it's turn 3.

Useful.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Site Contributor

Jun 2013
    Philadelphia, PA

If it weren't for Tarmogoyf, I could see Search being good in a RUG Madness shell, but Goyf outclasses the Madness creatures pretty seriously, so that's not an viable option.

So show and tell is fine in this format right? Can we just unban everything obviously less powerful than show and tell?

unban black vise - card is a joke.

unban frantic search - only good in one deck and that deck is tier 1.5 at best.

unban earthcraft - I can't find a successful deck with earthcraft in it. In any format. I'm not saying it doesn't exist, I'm saying the records are hard to find. At any rate, both pieces being non-blue and having to pass the turn after you

combo are - among other reasons - why earthcraft is less powerful than show and tell.

show and tell being off the list makes certain things being on the list look really weird.

Frantic search is best utilized in high tide based decks by far. Any other decks that use it are being far too fair with the card. Reanimator would not run a 3 drop like frantic search over show and tell at the same cost as show and tell cheats mana costs at a much better rate since it plops in 8+ CMC cards. Canadian thresh does not want a 3 drop that it can't cast and is card disadvantage in a deck with no way of producing card advantage. Madness is super dead. Decks with LED do not remotely want frantic search. There is not a new archetype that will spawn due to frantic search being legalized as the archetype already exists in the form of high tide, a tier 2 strategy at best currently.

Search in dredge? It costs 3. Tolarian winds is vastly superior. It costs 2 and is unplayable in dredge. Just great.
    Bread Connoisseur on MTGSalvation Forums
    Currently Playing:
    All flavors of storm combo
    Quote Originally Posted by Vacrix
    Lands is a joke for Solidarity. Its like asking a morbidly obese parapalegic to run the mile with his shoes tied.

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

I think it is just kind of openly accepted that Search and Earthcraft are both safe these days.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Petition for Search.

Quote Originally Posted by btm10 View Post
    Yeah, I don't think Frantic Search would be a problem, and making a deck better while hurting no other deck seems great.

I've brought up the Frantic Search discussion several times and no one really thinks it would be broken except people with weak arguments. I think it is a safe unban.
    “There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle".
    - Albert Einstein

Aug 2013
    Vancouver, BC

Black Vise
    Earthcraft
    Frantic Search
    Mind Twist
    Survival of the Fittest
    Worldgorger Dragon

Get crazy and breathe some life into the format
    Cowboy Magic

If we want to breathe life into the format, as opposed to powering-up/spawning a couple more (necessary) combo archetypes mass bans would be a much more viable option. I was thinking something along these lines, sorted by category:

*Dumb Blue Stuff
    -Delver of Secrets
    -True Name Nemesis
    -Show and Tell
    -Brainstorm

*Dumb Fatties
    -Progenitus
    -Iona
    -Emrakul
    -Jin Gitaxis
    -Griselbrand

*Combo Culling
    -Gaea's Cradle
    -Flayer of the Hatebound
    -Ad Nauseam
    -Entomb
    -Time Spiral

*I never stopped loving Wild Mongrel
    -Tarmogoyf

*Check your privilege
    -Stoneforge Mystic
    -Terminus

Basically, it's Legacy circa 09-10, but with a lot of the good additions (Thalia, Abrupt Decay, DRS) and much less of the stupid stuff that has been stinking up the format. These bans could really shake up the format for the better, but I know this suggestion, or anything like it, will never happen (Wizards doesn't care about Legacy) and would be extremely unpopular, especially with most of the users on this here site.

Quote Originally Posted by SevenInTheQueue View Post
    Black Vise
    Earthcraft
    Frantic Search
    Mind Twist
    Survival of the Fittest
    Worldgorger Dragon

Get crazy and breathe some life into the format
    Again, the only one I'd copnsider genuinely dangerous is Survival; WGD can be fought, Earthcraft dies to all the cheap removal; Search is good in maybe two decks, Twist is extremely inconsistent and Vise is only really good against Miracles.

I'm willing to be overruled on the Dragon, though as there are enough ways to instadraw with it that it might be problematic.

Aug 2013
    Vancouver, BC

Quote Originally Posted by Darkenslight View Post
    Again, the only one I'd copnsider genuinely dangerous is Survival; WGD can be fought, Earthcraft dies to all the cheap removal; Search is good in maybe two decks, Twist is extremely inconsistent and Vise is only really good against Miracles.

I'm willing to be overruled on the Dragon, though as there are enough ways to instadraw with it that it might be problematic.

Legacy is a different beast from the era of Necrotic Ooze/4x Vengevine Survival. Considering the hate they have printed in the past year(s) (with much of it being maindeckable), it seems relatively safe.
    Cowboy Magic

There're lots of whining coming from non-miracles players calling a ban on miracles stables like Top/CB/Brainstorm.

get outta here, humanity.
    Jun 2009
    Butugychag

That is something I was not aware of.

Jan 2005
    I actually live in actual Chicago

Quote Originally Posted by Jamaican Zombie Legend View Post
    *Combo Culling
    -Flayer of the Hatebound
    I've got to give you points for sticking this one into an otherwise mostly serious post.

Bands with Others
    Jul 2009
    NY, NY

Quote Originally Posted by twndomn View Post
    There're lots of whining coming from non-miracles players calling a ban on miracles stables like Top/CB/Brainstorm.
    You mean players like, Joe Lossett on CB?

Oh, and it's staples. Not stables.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavius The Great View Post
    Respect my shine bitch!

Quote Originally Posted by menace13 View Post
    You mean players like, Joe Lossett on CB?

Oh, and it's staples. Not stables.
    The only one that's arguably a serious contender for banning is BS, and even then, BS is arguably more diverse in a format with fetchlands than just about any toher cards, but it also puts consistency issues onto decks without it. But my guess is that there's goingt o be nothing done.

Site Contributor

Jun 2013
    Philadelphia, PA

My money is on no changes or an innocous unban like Earthcraft or Mind Twist.

Also - if for some reason people wanted to ban a card from Miracles, why would CB be the choice? It's probably the easiest card in Miracles to answer by far because of Abrupt Decay.

Thread Information