View Poll Results: Most bannable card in Legacy? (not that they will touch it)

Voters
192. You may not vote on this poll
  • Brainstorm

16 8.33%
  • Force of Will

4 2.08%
  • Lion's Eye Diamond

35 18.23%
  • Counterbalance

34 17.71%
  • Sensei's Divining Top

103 53.65%
  • Tarmogoyf

46 23.96%
  • Phyrexian Dreadnaught

2 1.04%
  • Goblin Lackey

4 2.08%
  • Standstill

6 3.13%
  • Natural Order

8 4.17%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 987 of 1178 FirstFirst ... 48788793797798398498598698798898999099199710371087 ... LastLast
Results 19,721 to 19,740 of 23542

Thread: All B/R update speculation.

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

Re: All B/R update speculation.

Quote Originally Posted by CutthroatCasual View Post
    In other words, people aren't salty about DRS because they know it deserves a ban, whereas people are salty about Top because it wasn't the card that needed a ban from that deck.
    No, that's not true at all. DRS should not have been banned, that's my opinion on the subject, but to make the argument as to why it should have been legal means a debate on the shell that built around it and I am just too weary to have that fight any longer.

Top was fucked from the moment Miracles was worthy of action, because it was the enabler and Wizards, for all the shit they do inconsistently, almost always go after the enablers. But people would rather cry over shit like 'events still going to time' then debate the fact that Wizards actually acted consistently for once.

People where salty about Top because they where out of their tree thinking Wizards should act inconsistently for once on behalf of them. But these same morons would rip strips off Wizards if they did something else inconsistently. Fools are follish, Wizards can't win, water is wet, Brainstorm could have been banned and Top would be legal. Can't please everyone, not much point to try.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    I understand what you're saying, but duals are still the best choice 99% of the time and thus before you play any number of Seachrome Coast, Glacial Fortress, or Mystic Gate, you are already maxed out on Tundra
    Maybe, but I can think of a couple reasons to find the two next-best ones and run 3 alpha duals/2 second-best "dual" /2 3rd best "dual".

Destroy all ~all basic land type~ cards
    I.e. Boil, Flashfires, Choke, etc.

Wasteland + Surgical (+ Snapcaster?)

At any rate, I don't think there is a real way of taking on prices of reserve list dual lands successfully. I do think that if those who don't have them soon want to play legacy with more than one color, it would be healthy to ban the real tournament time-waster, the extra 8-10 shuffles players take each game just by including fetches. Even if it's a wash on the dual lands price-point, it still opens up more land cards in a format where decks currently cost the same as a semester of community college, and exactly due to the cost of the Mana base (in most cases).

Or the Miracles players are smart enough to see past the BS rationale that WotC gave for the Top ban and people have been saying DRS is broke since even before the Top ban.

In other words, people aren't salty about DRS because they know it deserves a ban, whereas people are salty about Top because it wasn't the card that needed a ban from that deck.
    Honestly, the right ban, which was terminus, would have got miracle control even harder.
    "You either die a Onesto-Player, or live long enough to see yourself become a Dredger"

May 2015
    PDX

Quote Originally Posted by Noctalor View Post
    Honestly, the right ban, which was terminus, would have got miracle control even harder.
    So every time we see this it's important to point out that creature-feature decks always lose to white cards. Wraths are getting better (Verdict), faster (Settle the Wreckage), and cheaper (Slaughter the Strong). There is little reason to believe cheaper wrath effects will not drop their conditional clauses going forwards, making Terminus ban pointless. If you're dying to Terminus, send Surgical Extraction after Swords to Plowshares - this is why you can't rebuild. Stop playing Mother of Runes (plus or minus a mana dork) into a creature that can actually attack and expect to keep getting rewarded for this poor play pattern.

Banning Terminus unfairly pushes the power level of DnT relative to other creature decks b/c they're the only ones with Thalia/Wasteland/Port - they're the only ones that can stop a 4 mana wrath because it didn't cost 1; your fair creature deck isn't going to kill miracles with its value scum, mana dorks, and non-attackers before they punish you with a white card and close the door with StP/SCM while sitting behind their JTMS each turn.

If you want to play against fewer copies Terminus, you ban Counterbalance and suddenly miracles needs to cut white cards for blue cards. Aggro-based balance is deeply flawed in that it is only DnT-driven balance. Even if you run Thalia and Wasteland, you're tapping down to do things - DnT isn't.

Broke: "Creature? Dies to removal"
    Woke: "Removal? Dies to Surgical"

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Or the Miracles players are smart enough to see past the BS rationale that WotC gave for the Top ban and people have been saying DRS is broke since even before the Top ban.

Top was the logical ban, as it caused time issues ("Everybody, just git gud with Top!" isn't an argument here, since one bad player can hold up the entire tournament) and was already banned in two other formats for the same reason. With Top being the essential core to the former Miracle decks, it was a good ban. The saltiness come actually from two sides:

a) Players of decks that got hit by the collateral damage, like Painter and Nic Fit and
    b) Miracle player who can't admit that Miracles was fucking broken after it manhandled the format for 3 years straight.

Miracles is still good because the other enabler, the Xerox shell, mainly Brainstorm, is considered a "format pillar".

Site Contributor
    Feb 2011
    Vancouver

came to this thread for some salt, lulz, and the occasional insight… 7/10 rating (needs more insight, and i was happily surprised not to see as much salt as expected!)

Quote Originally Posted by Aggro_zombies View Post
    BUG has been kind of a deck in Legacy for years, even prior to DRS. I think there was a version running around at one point called Team America or something that was basically a RUG deck but with discard and a top end of Tombstalker.
    If you're taking the piss, well done. If not, get the hell off my lawn. Twas a T1 deck back when I came back to Legacy!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JBlaze View Post
    Dear Scrubs,

Keep banning shit motherfuckers were still going to crush your janky fucking brews.
    Remember this is our format your just dead money in the prize pool.

Get pwned noobs

Sincerely,
    Blue mages

Happy 4th everybody
    *slow clap*
    Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    I'm not saying sugarcoat the tournament scene, that's impossible, but for God's sake just act like a damned grown-up. Be polite, play fast-ish but allow for a little thought now and then, represent the rules to the best of your ability and be a good sport.
    Quote Originally Posted by thecrav View Post
    WotC fucks up something computer related. Film @ 11.
    @warfordium on twitter.

I'd still like to see the format if they banned:

Brainstorm
    every card with "Storm" on it
    TNN
    Delver
    Leovold
    Show and Tell

Ponder/Preordain would still let people run cantrip and tempo shells, but the hit blue took would be offset by the damage to stupid combo, thus requiring "real" combination decks, not just a mass of mana and draw spells followed by "storm card X" and you'd get actual, competitive decks in the format that weren't Prison(DnT or Stompy)/Xerox/Combo (Snt or storm based, i.e. only blue gets to interact with them).

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by morgan_coke View Post

Brainstorm
    TNN
    Delver
    Leovold
    Show and Tell

Ponder/Preordain would still let people run cantrip and tempo shells, but the hit blue took would be offset by the damage to stupid combo, thus requiring "real" combination decks, not just a mass of mana and draw spells followed by "storm card X" and you'd get actual, competitive decks in the format that weren't Prison(DnT or Stompy)/Xerox/Combo (Snt or storm based, i.e. only blue gets to interact with them).
    If you are willing to ban 10 or more cards, your list should start with Polluted Delta, Flooded Strand & Co.

You would end up with a much smaller banlist in the end because TC, DRS, DDT, SdT, etc would all be crap cards which you could unban.

What you propose translates into "ban Vengevine, griselbrand, loyal retainer, necrotic ooze & Co ... but leave Survival legal"
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

It's not easy being green

Jul 2010

Brainstorm
    TNN
    Delver
    Leovold
    Show and Tell

I don't see the point of banning Storm cards. And I mean, if you did that...

You'd still get wrecked by people doing the Storm-tastic thing with a green coat of paint.

As far as dumb things go, your list doesn't address reanimating Griseltard, which is infinitely more obnoxious than Storm could ever hope to be. Hell, S&T is fine if you'd still have a game left after S&T/reanimation spell resolved. You don't.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear
    (On Innistrad)
    Yeah, an insanely powerful block which put the "derp!" factor in Legacy completely over the top.

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

As I have said before, I am all for banning every strom card. I am so fucking sick of dying to Sprouting Vines.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Quote Originally Posted by Zombie View Post
    I don't see the point of banning Storm cards. And I mean, if you did that...

You'd still get wrecked by people doing the Storm-tastic thing with a green coat of paint.

As far as dumb things go, your list doesn't address reanimating Griseltard, which is infinitely more obnoxious than Storm could ever hope to be. Hell, S&T is fine if you'd still have a game left after S&T/reanimation spell resolved. You don't.
    Non-Blue decks can interact with that though. Non-blue decks can interact with reanimating Griselbrand. They can't interact with Storm shenanigans.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Non-Blue decks can interact with that though. Non-blue decks can interact with reanimating Griselbrand. They can't interact with Storm shenanigans.
    Pls meet Thalia and Canonist. They hate storm too. You have sooooo much in common. You should exchange numbers.

#HitchTheStormDoctor
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

As I have said before, I am all for banning every strom card. I am so fucking sick of dying to Sprouting Vines.
    Didn't you know, the format will be far superior when the Banned List accurately reflects what I personally like and dislike? And people absolutely, positively should not be allowed to do things I don't like.

Isn't that what this whole thread is about?
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

It's not easy being green

Jul 2010

Weird, I thought Thoughtseize, Thalia, Teeg, Thorn, Chalice and Null Rod were all cards. I've ground down goblin hordes with DRS eating its fellow Elves that I threw under the goblin bus. I've spent an afternoon basically playing TES mirrors and the most broken card in the matchup was white. I've had infinitely more trouble dealing with nonsense like Dredge and Griselbrand.

I mean, I'm somewhat biased in that I think engine combo is way more interesting than A+B decks, but even then. Storm's been fine in my experience and if it's too strong it can be dealt with in a nuanced way rather than deleting the archetype from existence. Saying this as someone who primarily plays a nonblue deck that has an unfavourable Storm matchup.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear
    (On Innistrad)
    Yeah, an insanely powerful block which put the "derp!" factor in Legacy completely over the top.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Zombie View Post
    Storm's been fine in my experience and if it's too strong it can be dealt with in a nuanced way...
    ...by banning Probe

Join us at Facebook!

OK but seriously ax Chancellor of the annex.

Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    Didn't you know, the format will be far superior when the Banned List accurately reflects what I personally like and dislike? And people absolutely, positively should not be allowed to do things I don't like.

Isn't that what this whole thread is about?
    I have, for years, been saying they should ban decks I can't beat and push decks I can beat.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    I have, for years, been saying they should ban decks I can't beat and push decks I play
    Ftfy

Join us at Facebook!

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    If you are willing to ban 10 or more cards, your list should start with Polluted Delta, Flooded Strand & Co.

You would end up with a much smaller banlist in the end because TC, DRS, DDT, SdT, etc would all be crap cards which you could unban...l"
    Lemnear, I am really coming around to your point of view on this. This most recent banning drives this point home even more. I am reiterating here...Without fetchies, Brainstorm would also be a much weakened card. Add to that the recent discussion of how many different lands would feel more useful if we aren't always fetching for basic land types. Over time it seems like the price tag of duals would ease some - perhaps even a lot, as players begin to see value in non-traditional mana bases.

You get to keep the fun cards that have hitherto been havoc on Legacy while pruning their effect, and you reduce the barrier for entry. Is there a downside to this plan?
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

Thread Information