View Poll Results: Most bannable card in Legacy? (not that they will touch it)

Voters
192. You may not vote on this poll
  • Brainstorm

16 8.33%
  • Force of Will

4 2.08%
  • Lion's Eye Diamond

35 18.23%
  • Counterbalance

34 17.71%
  • Sensei's Divining Top

103 53.65%
  • Tarmogoyf

46 23.96%
  • Phyrexian Dreadnaught

2 1.04%
  • Goblin Lackey

4 2.08%
  • Standstill

6 3.13%
  • Natural Order

8 4.17%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1125 of 1178 FirstFirst ... 12562510251075111511211122112311241125112611271128112911351175 ... LastLast
Results 22,481 to 22,500 of 23542

Thread: All B/R update speculation.

Apr 2014
    New Jersey

Re: All B/R update speculation.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    TL,DR - If a card goes in anything and everything, and those decks are tier 1, Mental Misstep and Survival of the Fittest tell us that it will be banned.
    who's gonna say it

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by Watersaw View Post
    who's gonna say it
    *laughs in Brainstorm*

Quote Originally Posted by Watersaw View Post
    who's gonna say it
    I wanted too but the card in question was protected by a Twitter post from Aaron Forsythe.
    "We are goblinkind, heirs to the mountain empires of chieftains past. Rest is death to us, and arson is our call to war."

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    Well, I wasn't making a case against banning it, of course. Only pointing out that, to me, this isn't a "worst-case" of needing a ban. Just a bad-case.
    Absolutely, I wasn't trying to be contentious. I just think WOTC has more culpability; they didn't release these as an honest mistake.

Former Player Employee: 'He guyz, we gotz something that does CaRazY stuff with LeD'.

WOTC: Annnnd...you're fired. Don't harsh on my big money buzz, buddy.

Well, I agree, but knowledge and caring can be world apart. In fact, (I think it was) Barook already posted the article, from Wizards themselves, where they explicitly stated that a companion-like mechanic was horribly broken. So, what changed? I don't think it is knowledge...
    I am convinced of this as well. Gotta get those dollar bills, y'all.

Anyways, sorry if I came across as abrasive. Cheers!
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    *laughs in Brainstorm*
    If Brainstorm had never existed and they printed it yesterday, this argument would have more validity, to me.

Anyways, sorry if I came across as abrasive. Cheers!
    Not at all, I was just trying to clarify my position.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Well, I agree, but knowledge and caring can be world apart. In fact, (I think it was) Barook already posted the article, from Wizards themselves, where they explicitly stated that a companion-like mechanic was horribly broken. So, what changed? I don't think it is knowledge...
    Even if we set Legacy aside, the release of Companions is a bad sign in general. I get that Wizards needs to constantly churn out exciting shit to sell sets, but new mechanics make me nervous, especially when they're even slightly comparable to Yu-Gi-Oh (and Companion is sort of like a super restrictive 1-card extra deck if you really think about it).

Printing overpowered nonsense like W&6 is one thing but its still leagues better than printing overpowered mechanics.

Hellyes the Slayer 1R{w/g}
    Legendary Creature — Horror Assassin 2/3
    Companion: your starting deck has at least 18 blue instants and sorceries
    You may cast nonblue instants and sorceries you own from outside the game.
    {1}{X}, {T}: Create a token that’s a copy of a permanent card with converted mana cost X that is banned in Legacy.

Just being silly. Anyway, there was no way to anticipate how good Lurrus would be in Eternal, where cheap permanents tend not to be competitive and card advantage isn’t an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by BirdsOfParadise View Post
    {1}{X}, {T}: Create a token that’s a copy of a permanent card with converted mana cost X that is banned in Legacy.
    Dies to bolt, too weak. Make it 2/4

Quote Originally Posted by Sella View Post
    “Hellyes the Slayer can’t leave the battlefield if an opponent has cast a spell this turn.”
    Edit: nvm that’s maybe too good in Limited.

Quote Originally Posted by BirdsOfParadise View Post

Just being silly. Anyway, there was no way to anticipate how good Lurrus would be in Eternal, where cheap permanents tend not to be competitive and card advantage isn’t an issue.
    Needs less tap symbol, not nearly broken enough.

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Obviously it should be X/X+1, where X is the number of card types in your graveyard.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Even if we set Legacy aside, the release of Companions is a bad sign in general. I get that Wizards needs to constantly churn out exciting shit to sell sets, but new mechanics make me nervous, especially when they're even slightly comparable to Yu-Gi-Oh (and Companion is sort of like a super restrictive 1-card extra deck if you really think about it).

Printing overpowered nonsense like W&6 is one thing but its still leagues better than printing overpowered mechanics.
    Well, I pretty much agree. The issue is the velocity now is just so break-neck that there is no way, I think, to keep the release pace and always have well-designed cards.

But, that is the paradigm, because you can't contract the number of new set/releases now, since you WotC is answerable to Hasbro and Hasbro is answerable to Wall Street. So, it's hyper-expansion or death, if you aren't growing, you are dying, as far as shareholders care. Frankly, I think all of this is a terrible long-term strategy, but what passes as a long-term strategy is probably just a few short-term ones stapled together.

Sep 2011

Cerberus, Underworld Champion 1R
    Legendary Creature - Zombie Hound
    Companion - Your starting deck must contain no more than 8 creatures.
    Whenever a player casts a spell, ~ becomes an enchantment, then sacrifice it at the beginning of the next end step.
    3: You may cast target spell from your graveyard. This ability has Delve.
    0/4

Seems like a fair card. Not even playable in Limited!

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Mod note: let's try to keep silly card creation to the thread made for that please.

Obviously it should be X/X+1, where X is the number of card types in your graveyard.
    I'll compromise and accept X/X+4

Well, I pretty much agree. The issue is the velocity now is just so break-neck that there is no way, I think, to keep the release pace and always have well-designed cards.

But, that is the paradigm, because you can't contract the number of new set/releases now, since you WotC is answerable to Hasbro and Hasbro is answerable to Wall Street. So, it's hyper-expansion or death, if you aren't growing, you are dying, as far as shareholders care. Frankly, I think all of this is a terrible long-term strategy, but what passes as a long-term strategy is probably just a few short-term ones stapled together.
    Honestly makes me hope that they can pivot hard into Arena, then they could just release their dumb shit there and keep it out of paper maybe. Although I guess that wouldn't work since they'd want people to buy their favorite Arena cards in paper. Oh well.

All we need is just one dedicated guy at WoTC who can look over new cards and preemptively ban the stuff that's obviously broken. I don't play standard so I personally don't care how much dumb shit they shove in there, but it's annoying when something busted gets printed and then we have to wait X amount of months for WoTC to do something about it for like, 3 sets in a row.

Mar 2007

So far:

Innovation
    41.9%
    Balance
    58.1%

Interesting comment, with a lot of people agreeing with it:

While I do believe in prioritization for certain things, the way that this question is posed is that it is a trade-off. I don't really believe in this trade off - they are on different axes.

And the ubiquitous maro answer to problems:

Come on, Ben. I know you know that balancing something with no precedent is harder than balancing something we’ve done five times before.

Which lead to the obvious answer:

I don't think it's that hard to see that starting with 8 cards is absolutely a problem.

Mar 2007

Quote Originally Posted by jmlima View Post
    So far:

Innovation
    41.9%
    Balance
    58.1%

Interesting comment, with a lot of people agreeing with it:

While I do believe in prioritization for certain things, the way that this question is posed is that it is a trade-off. I don't really believe in this trade off - they are on different axes.

And the ubiquitous maro answer to problems:

Come on, Ben. I know you know that balancing something with no precedent is harder than balancing something we’ve done five times before.

Which lead to the obvious answer:

I don't think it's that hard to see that starting with 8 cards is absolutely a problem.
    Has anybody the link at hand from the WotC article from 2015 (?) where they tried something similiar and described exactly the problems that companion has now?

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    Has anybody the link at hand from the WotC article from 2015 (?) where they tried something similiar and described exactly the problems that companion has now?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cire View Post
    https://magic.wizards.com/en/article...t-2015-12-07-0

Somehow this was written in 2015 . . .

"Anyway, there was a lot of pressure on Maro to deliver an exciting design, so he decided to push the boundaries. He made a new mechanic that allowed you to choose to start with the card in your opening hand. . . . Early the next morning, Maro awoke to see a message written in lipstick on the mirror, reversed so he could easily read it. It read: 'DECK VARIANCE IS THE LIFEBLOOD OF THE GAME AND UNDERCUTTING IT WITH THIS MECHANIC HAS LED TO THE MOST UNFUN PLAYTEST GAMES WE HAVE EVER PLAYED. IF THIS IS THE FUTURE OF MAGIC DESIGN, WE WANT NOTHING TO DO WITH IT.' The interns were gone and haven't ever been seen since. Maro took the new mechanic out of the file and never talked about it again."

And then five years later here we are . . .

Thread Information