View Poll Results: Most bannable card in Legacy? (not that they will touch it)

Voters
192. You may not vote on this poll
  • Brainstorm

16 8.33%
  • Force of Will

4 2.08%
  • Lion's Eye Diamond

35 18.23%
  • Counterbalance

34 17.71%
  • Sensei's Divining Top

103 53.65%
  • Tarmogoyf

46 23.96%
  • Phyrexian Dreadnaught

2 1.04%
  • Goblin Lackey

4 2.08%
  • Standstill

6 3.13%
  • Natural Order

8 4.17%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 907 of 1178 FirstFirst ... 4078078578979039049059069079089099109119179571007 ... LastLast
Results 18,121 to 18,140 of 23542

Thread: All B/R update speculation.

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

Re: All B/R update speculation.

It is Pringles. If you are gonna nerd someone, do it right.

But the format is definitely looking good. I saw both aggro loam and dragon stompy had a good October. If the format is ripe for these guys, it is pretty neutral.
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I wouldn't say fetches are 'untouchable', but that they're more like Pringles. You can't just ban one of them.
    The problem with fetches is that they're so necessary for format access - if you ban them, it probably just makes duals skyrocket in price, now that you can't get away with playing exactly six plus a bunch of pseudo-proxies that let you find them. I think getting rid of them could potentially have cool, interesting implications on the format for manabases if it weren't already so predicated on owning an optimal combination of reserved list cards.

ETA: Pringles is "once you pop, you can't stop;" "Betcha can't have just one" is Lay's. Pringles are delicious.

Jun 2010
    Central NY

Quote Originally Posted by taconaut View Post
    ETA: Pringles is "once you pop, you can't stop;" "Betcha can't have just one" is Lay's. Pringles are delicious.
    They both apply then lol.

Kind of a random question, and not really related to the Legacy banlist, but I figured people here might actually know this. Sword of the Ages was restricted way back in 1994, and I can't figure out why. There's a number of early bans/restrictions that seem goofy nowadays, but I've been able to figure out or find out the reasons for them, even if sometimes in retrospect they weren't very good. But I'm confused as to what in the world Sword of the Ages did to get restricted, and searching online doesn't seem to give me the answer. Was it part of some kind of combo back then? Anyone know?

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Seth View Post
    Kind of a random question, and not really related to the Legacy banlist, but I figured people here might actually know this. Sword of the Ages was restricted way back in 1994, and I can't figure out why. There's a number of early bans/restrictions that seem goofy nowadays, but I've been able to figure out or find out the reasons for them, even if sometimes in retrospect they weren't very good. But I'm confused as to what in the world Sword of the Ages did to get restricted, and searching online doesn't seem to give me the answer. Was it part of some kind of combo back then? Anyone know?
    This is from Menendian's Schools of Magic article, his source for this is "The Duelist (Issue 10) May 1996: p. 58. Print." I don't own old copies of The Duelist magazine, but I'm sure Stephen's research shows the only real "answer" we can have to this question.

Sword of the Ages gave heavy creature decks a faster, combat avoidant win condition that was virtually unstoppable once it hit the table, according to the DC. Sword of the Ages was considered unfair for tournament play, and restricted. It may have been more likely the case that Sword of the Ages discouraged players from sending their creatures into combat. Instead, players would quietly build a large army, waiting back until Sword of the Ages could be played.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    This is from Menendian's Schools of Magic article, his source for this is "The Duelist (Issue 10) May 1996: p. 58. Print." I don't own old copies of The Duelist magazine, but I'm sure Stephen's research shows the only real "answer" we can have to this question.
    Interesting. Thank you very much. If I ever stumble across a copy of that issue, I'll see if they go into more detail on it.

As a MUD/Eldrazi Post player, I've always wondered what the format would be like if Tinker were legal.

Kuldotha Forgemaster is basically like a much weaker Tinker and it sees competitive play in the Tier 2 Metalworker MUD deck.

What if the Ancient Tomb decks legitimately had access to the original Tinker as a 4-of? How strong would the deck be? Would Chalice+Tomb+Monolith+Key+Islands be more of an artifact-heavy deck or would it be a primarily blue deck with an artifact win condition?
    - 'Pathy' on MTGO
    - Eastern PA player

Site Contributor

Apr 2014

Quote Originally Posted by MGB View Post
    As a MUD/Eldrazi Post player, I've always wondered what the format would be like if Tinker were legal.

Kuldotha Forgemaster is basically like a much weaker Tinker and it sees competitive play in the Tier 2 Metalworker MUD deck.

What if the Ancient Tomb decks legitimately had access to the original Tinker as a 4-of? How strong would the deck be? Would Chalice+Tomb+Monolith+Key+Islands be more of an artifact-heavy deck or would it be a primarily blue deck with an artifact win condition?
    As a Painter/DGA player i'm wondering what would happen if magic players understood the concept of a Odd/Even roll.

High roll is basically like a much weaker Odd/Even and it sees competitive play at the start of every match.

What if magic players legitimately knew that Odd/Even rolls involve the same concepts of randomization as High Roll? How strong would that be? Would people use it at the start of their normal matches or would it primarily be used in top 8 matches?
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatDeleuzeGuy View Post
    I want to play as close to possible a 100% reactive deck that also approached 0% variance in how it played. I want to play magic with as little variance as possible. Also had a foiled out miracles deck that was an investment of about 6 grand that is now nearly worthless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    My original post did that.

I'd love to have a battle of wits with you but I see you lack the necessary equipment.

Good day.

Site Contributor
    Oct 2014
    Melbourne, Australia.

Quote Originally Posted by CptHaddock View Post
    As a Painter/DGA player i'm wondering what would happen if magic players understood the concept of a Odd/Even roll.

High roll is basically like a much weaker Odd/Even and it sees competitive play at the start of every match.

What if magic players legitimately knew that Odd/Even rolls involve the same concepts of randomization as High Roll? How strong would that be? Would people use it at the start of their normal matches or would it primarily be used in top 8 matches?
    Thank god someone said this, for the love of god, YES.

Odds/Even = 1 action from each player. I roll, you call.

High Roll = (usually) 2 dice being rolled TWICE and then having to do year 2 math twice! And sometimes you have to do it again because you both rolled the same number! Oh the humanity. I didn't sign up for year 2 math exercises, I signed up for Legacy.
    Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post
    Dat 1/1 with built in pump. Watch out Griselbrand here comes lizard mid range.
    Quote Originally Posted by Von View Post
    Is this a troll or are gobbos really dtb?

Aug 2010
    Seattle, WA

But high roll is fundamentally skewed because it is a normal distribution, leading to more ties, as well as a rigged game(some engineer I met said high roll was cheating and not random, clearly since he was an engineer he knows math I guess).

For clock reasons alone I don't know why high roll (2d6) hasn't been banned yet, this is probably the real reason rounds were going to time. #topisthevictim. #makemiraclesgreatagain #doomsdaydiedforhighrollsins

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Color me incredibly confused
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

Someone mentioned the card Tinker, people reacted correctly.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Foreign Black Border
    Jun 2012
    Houston, Texas

Tinker, we vintage now?
    Quote Originally Posted by iatee View Post
    I still have a strong suspicion that if 'Thalia, Heretic Cathar' had been named 'Frank, Heretic Cathar', people would be a lot more skeptical of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Goin Aggro View Post
    Ugh, there he goes again, talking about the girlfriend. We get it dude.

Here I Rule!!!!!!!!!!
    Oct 2008
    Minneapolis MN

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasDowd View Post
    But high roll is fundamentally skewed because it is a normal distribution, leading to more ties, as well as a rigged game(some engineer I met said high roll was cheating and not random, clearly since he was an engineer he knows math I guess).
    This statement makes me sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Ignition View Post
    This statement makes me sad.
    Because it's a really poor attempt at trolling?

Quote Originally Posted by MGB View Post

I'll be the first one to take this post seriously.
    Show and Tell is considered to be a format-defining card, being one of the strongest enablers for cheating massive pokèmons into play for a very cheap three mana cost.
    Now, Show and Tell decks, although being one of the top combo decks in legacy, have one notable issue. In order to get your fatties into play, you gotta fill your deck with them.
    Imagine you're playing Sneak and Show, and you open a 7-card hand with two fatties: it's virtually a mulligan to six, because you have no immediate use for your 2nd creature.
    Don't get me wrong, it's still good, but it's not very efficient. You waste a lot of space in your deck in order to win, often resulting in clunky hands where you are forced to burn a lot of resources.

Now, imagine a world where Show and Tell doesn't require you to play 4 Emrakul, the Aeons Tornl, 4 Griselbrand and 0-2 Omniscience, because it also acts as a Demonic Tutor in a blue shell; a cheaper Natural Order in the best color of the format.

That wouldn't really be a good idea. Forgemaster has the same effect as tinker, but its other features (type, cmc, ecc...) are strongly restricting your deckbuild choices. The guy's viable in one deck and that's about it. Tinker, on the other hand, would not be. You could play 4 tinker in ANT and get many quick unstoppable wins; or play a Blue-Brown stompy and get the random 11/11 infect out of a mox diamond; maybe you could play it in Painter or Bomberman. Just too good.

Frankly, not a good idea.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

I can understand the reaction to a post asking if a one card combo occupying 5 slots in a deck is stronger than a two card combo taking at least 12 slots.
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasDowd View Post
    But high roll is fundamentally skewed because it is a normal distribution...
    I don't think this is true.
    Supremacy 2020 is the modern era game of nuclear brinksmanship! My blog:
    https://fieldmarshalshandbook.wordpress.com

You can play Lands.dec in EDH too! My primer:
    http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/t...lara-lands-dec

I have been waiting in silence couple of years that someone creates a new topic with new ban poll. There could be unban poll too. :) Should I still wait couple of more years?

Site Contributor

Apr 2014

Quote Originally Posted by raudo View Post
    I have been waiting in silence couple of years that someone creates a new topic with new ban poll. There could be unban poll too. :) Should I still wait couple of more years?
    I think the more important poll is the one that involves the banning/unbanning of different randomization methods to figure out who is going first in a game.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatDeleuzeGuy View Post
    I want to play as close to possible a 100% reactive deck that also approached 0% variance in how it played. I want to play magic with as little variance as possible. Also had a foiled out miracles deck that was an investment of about 6 grand that is now nearly worthless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    My original post did that.

I'd love to have a battle of wits with you but I see you lack the necessary equipment.

Good day.

Thread Information