View Poll Results: Most bannable card in Legacy? (not that they will touch it)

Voters
192. You may not vote on this poll
  • Brainstorm

16 8.33%
  • Force of Will

4 2.08%
  • Lion's Eye Diamond

35 18.23%
  • Counterbalance

34 17.71%
  • Sensei's Divining Top

103 53.65%
  • Tarmogoyf

46 23.96%
  • Phyrexian Dreadnaught

2 1.04%
  • Goblin Lackey

4 2.08%
  • Standstill

6 3.13%
  • Natural Order

8 4.17%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 985 of 1178 FirstFirst ... 48588593597598198298398498598698798898999510351085 ... LastLast
Results 19,681 to 19,700 of 23542

Thread: All B/R update speculation.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Re: All B/R update speculation.

Quote Originally Posted by Erdvermampfa View Post
    Where's all the salt at though? I'm surprised that are aren't more complaints/rants from people who got hit by these pretty unexpected bans. It made former Miracles players go bananas too when SDT was banned after all. Why all the silence?
    I think you have already answered your own question. Do you just not feel you are getting your money's worth though? Or are you are looking to troll people and just can't quite find a target?

I own foil Deathrites, FBB duals for BUG and I'm not salty. I question the validity of the rationale behind the ban, but then I move on with my life, sleeve up my non-Deathrite, non-Probe cards and play the damn game. I'm sure other adults are doing the same. That's not good enough for you?
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Time to sleeve up Food Chain with maindeck relics. Goyf, mongoose and griselbrand hoser will be good.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    I'm sure other adults are doing the same. That's not good enough for you?
    This and maybe, just maybe these adults can digest both bans without calling every two weeks for an unban of a certain 1 mana artifact unlike others. Who knows? Might be a pleasant change
    Last edited by Lemnear; 07-04-2018 at 04:55 AM.
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    This and maybe, just maybe these adults can digest both bans without calling every two weeks for an unban of a certain 1 mana artifact unlike others. Who knows? Might be a pleasant for a change
    A nice idea, but I can almost guarantee that whatever "next best thing" is found in the meta, there will be a mob formed to demand it's take down. So, ignore those Top folk and enjoy the respite we get until anything proves itself better than anything else. Or, you know, embrace the never-ending, good ol' Brainstorm conundrum...
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Quote Originally Posted by RhoxWarMonk View Post
    I feel your pain man.... in a lot of ways, it would have been far easier if Brainstorm got banned instead of DRS. I'm hopeful there will still be a control deck available in legacy that isn't Miracles (or Lands, I suppose) in BUG/Grixis colors but Im very worried about it being much too slow without deathrite.
    There are definitely still control decks. BUG and Grixis control will both still work, there's plenty of goofy stuff to do with Standstill in a variety of colors, Death and Taxes gets better now that mana denial works again.

On the tempo side, I expect both BUG and Grixis tempo decks of some variety will continue to be played successfully, along with perhaps a bit of a resurgence of RUG.

I'm not totally sold that DRS needed to be banned, but I'm excited with the space opening up in the metagame and interested to see how it shakes out.
    Cockatrice: Bosque

Stackbuilder

Mar 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Erdvermampfa View Post
    Where's all the salt at though? I'm surprised that are aren't more complaints/rants from people who got hit by these pretty unexpected bans. It made former Miracles players go bananas too when SDT was banned after all. Why all the silence?
    Because Pile and Delver players are more reasonable than the kind of people who played Miracles with Top. I am surprised to see a post of yours without voting for a Brainstorm ban, though.

Quote Originally Posted by JBlaze View Post
    I realize my last post could be read either way so I should clarify that I don't want Brainstorm banned. Im just a guy who wanted to play Grixis Delver and 4 Color Control till the end of time. Banning Brainstorm would have hurt but I would have just sleeved up 4x preordain and kept rolling. Now I'm just lost.
    You can still play Grixis Delver, it just wont be as strong. Hymn, SCM, TSeize, Gurmang/SScavenger, Fatal Push, and company all make a pretty decent Delver variant. No mini-planeswalker or Probing my anus for you though. I personally love this ban, came out of nowhere, nice little present before the 4th. Now people will actually have to side in some graveyard hate, and SCM decks taking over means a slower format, which I am also okay with. The Probe ban weakens so many decks, which I am happy as hell fore. Probe and Deathrite, above all, became too ubiquitous. Legacy players have always feared that a card may come and every deck will adopt it (ergo Goyfstill, Goyfblins, Goyfolk funny stuff). The cards WotC have printed lately have just been too good, and too easy to splash. Phyrexian mana this, dual-color spell that. Good bans.

Quote Originally Posted by Bosque View Post
    There are definitely still control decks. BUG and Grixis control will both still work, there's plenty of goofy stuff to do with Standstill in a variety of colors, Death and Taxes gets better now that mana denial works again.

On the tempo side, I expect both BUG and Grixis tempo decks of some variety will continue to be played successfully, along with perhaps a bit of a resurgence of RUG.

I'm not totally sold that DRS needed to be banned, but I'm excited with the space opening up in the metagame and interested to see how it shakes out.
    I actually think Grixis is a hard counter to RUG and will be the major post-DRS tempo deck for a few reasons:

1) More people own the cards for it, especially if they were on Czech Pile before.
    2) Angler is bigger than the average Goyf and can shrink opposing Goyfs in some cases.
    3) A creature core of Delver, Goose, and Goyf is probably roughly as effective as a creature core of Delver, Young Peezy, and Angler, but Grixis has access to a much broader and more customizable disruption suite than RUG
    4) In Ye Olden Dayes, having Krosan Grip in the sideboard used to be a real benefit in matchups where you expected CounterTop to choke your tempo plan. Now that Top is gone, Counterbalance is much worse, so the best green disruption spell is no longer a factor.

I'm starting to wonder if the question is actually BUG versus Grixis. BUG is probably slightly weaker as a tempo deck than RUG is but Decay is a helluva card, and so is Leovold. It might be that Grixis is the best tempo deck and BUG is the best midrange deck if you want to play blue and spells, but who knows? Now that DRS is gone, anything is possible. Perhaps Dredge is even a deck again.

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

"It's one of the "pillars of the format" that makes it unique and players tolerate/love. It's like Brainstorm in Legacy. Every saturation metric we could ever invent would point to it being banned, but people love it. Transgressive stuff needs a place to live." ~Aaron Forsythe

This is the first time I've heard literal nonsense from WOTC (mainly because I dont look for it). I'm so glad the director of R&D has the ability to speak for the public with such a piss poor view of what they want. There are many banned cards that could have been pillars of the format if you just didn't ban them...Ancestral Recall comes to mind immediately. Black lotus and the moxes are probably on the short list for that too...

Even without brainstorm blue still has force of will supporting it as a "pillar."
    White - Swords to Plowshares
    Black - Thoughtseize / Dark Ritual
    Green - Tarmogoyf
    Blue - Force of Will
    Red - Lightning Bolt

There are also examples of pillars of the format that are healthy instead of meta warping. Take dual lands for example. They allow for greater ease in deck construction but are not so good that they are a problem (other than cost). Fetch lands would also be a good example.
    Play 4 Card Blind!

Currently Playing
    Legacy: Dark Depths
    EDH: 5-Color Hermit Druid

Currently Brewing: [Deck] Sadistic Sacrament / Chalice NO Eldrazi

why cards are so expensive...hoarders

Forsythe is actually right, though. Brainstorm makes Legacy unique and therefore gives it a draw:

Limited: I want to show up without any cards and build a deck on the spot.

Standard: I want to play mirror matches for months until a card gets banned.

Modern: I want to play whatever deck I want with the understanding that there is probably a sideboard card out there that will utterly destroy me.

Legacy: I want to play Turbo Xerox.

Vintage: I want to do degenerate shit with all the most powerful cards in the game.

If they get rid of Brainstorm, Legacy just turns into a Rich Man's Modern, which means it's basically a much worse Modern, or a Poor Man's Vintage, which means it's a much less fun Vintage.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggro_zombies View Post
    If they get rid of Brainstorm, Legacy just turns into a Rich Man's Modern, which means it's basically a much worse Modern, or a Poor Man's Vintage, which means it's a much less fun Vintage.
    What a spicy take.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

>implying you can't turbo xerox with ponder and preordain
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    >implying you can't turbo xerox with ponder and preordain
    Pretty much. Preordain is good enough to be played as 4-of in Vintage since Ponder and Brainstorm are restricted. If it's good enough for Vintage, why wouldn't it be good enough for Legacy?

I'm not sure if you're ironic or not, because the sheer arrogance thinking that a single card IS a format is baffling (and there people out there who think that way). E.g. try to play Lands in Vintage or Modern - good luck with that.

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

Forsythe is actually right, though. Brainstorm makes Legacy unique and therefore gives it a draw:
    It's possible you don't understand the definition of unique...

u·nique
    yo͞oˈnēk/Submit
    adjective
    1. being the only one of its kind; unlike anything else.

There is nothing unique about saturating the format with the same card...other than maybe an entire format revolving around 1 card...
    Play 4 Card Blind!

Currently Playing
    Legacy: Dark Depths
    EDH: 5-Color Hermit Druid

Currently Brewing: [Deck] Sadistic Sacrament / Chalice NO Eldrazi

why cards are so expensive...hoarders

Quote Originally Posted by apple713 View Post
    There is nothing unique about saturating the format with the same card...other than maybe an entire format revolving around 1 card...
    That's actually mostly it, yes.

Legacy is unique because it's the format where it's easiest to play Turbo Xerox decks. It's the only format where you can start a deck with 4 Brainstorm, 4 Ponder, and then add draw to taste if you want. They banned the cantrips out of Modern, so you can't do this there; they don't print cantrips on the power level of even Preordain anymore, so you can't do this in Standard; and in Vintage, all of the easy card draw is restricted, so you're limited in what you can do. Legacy's selling point is that it's defined by Turbo Xerox decks.

Think of it this way: there was evidence a decade ago that Brainstorm was dominant, and they did nothing. They could try to do something now, but there's no incentive to make drastic banning decisions to get the format back on track because they would rather herd people into Modern, where there's full reprint support (read: maximum sales potential) and more card availability. They'll leave Brainstorm alone because it's the format's poster child.

3-point-shooter

Feb 2006

That's actually mostly it, yes.

Legacy is unique because it's the format where it's easiest to play Turbo Xerox decks. It's the only format where you can start a deck with 4 Brainstorm, 4 Ponder, and then add draw to taste if you want. They banned the cantrips out of Modern, so you can't do this there; they don't print cantrips on the power level of even Preordain anymore, so you can't do this in Standard; and in Vintage, all of the easy card draw is restricted, so you're limited in what you can do. Legacy's selling point is that it's defined by Turbo Xerox decks.

Think of it this way: there was evidence a decade ago that Brainstorm was dominant, and they did nothing. They could try to do something now, but there's no incentive to make drastic banning decisions to get the format back on track because they would rather herd people into Modern, where there's full reprint support (read: maximum sales potential) and more card availability. They'll leave Brainstorm alone because it's the format's poster child.
    I can give you some credits if you are decoding WotC'S thought process. However, suggesting Legacy-Brainstorm < Modern is plain absurd, unless you mean Legacy < Modern, which has nothing to do with Brainstorm. Without Brainstorm, Legacy would still be a format with Ponder and Preordain, and many other identities including FoW, Wasteland, and no stupid pillars (Workshop/Bazaar/MoxenLotus). There is actually a very good format with all cantrips legal, go and play Pauper.
    On the Sep 2011 Ban List Updates,
    Quote Originally Posted by Lancer View Post
    Yep DCI/Wizards never fails... those that cry the loudest wins!

Nov 2017
    SKILL INTENSIVE branches

Quote Originally Posted by tsabo_tavoc View Post
    go and play Pauper.
    This is pretty much my thought on Legacy being the Turbo Xerox format; why pay $4K to copy your ass for days when you can pay $40 for the experience?

Plus, with the banning of Gitgud Probe, Pauper is even more Xerox-y than Legacy is! It's the only format where you can actually play the entire cantrip cartel. Gush is even legal, the most #SkillTesting card next to Brainstorm and Griselbrand.

Oct 2005
    Toronto Canada

Concerning Pauper 100% agreed.

As someone who owns 3 play sets of either signed or foil or both, Gitaxian Probes, i'm going to shove them into every pauper deck i have whether they want them or not!

It would actually be great if WOTC could push pauper as the cantrip format, considering putting Gush and Brainstorm in your deck there is not a trivial deck building consideration without duals and fetches, and then actually address things properly in Legacy.

I hope WOTC starts pushing Pauper as the Old School, non rotating format of choice. It has no reserve list, it has no price barrier, it has broken cards, it plays out much like classic legacy and old old extended used to, which is really the experience that a lot of Legacy players want.

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

Pauper is where I have the most fun. I play Delver and Elves, sometimes Tron and I find it lovely. The only issue I have with the format is the "No Alcohol" rule in the store I play in and a lack of true prison in the format.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Jul 2016
    Forever dark woods

Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Pauper is where I have the most fun. I play Delver and Elves, sometimes Tron and I find it lovely. The only issue I have with the format is the "No Alcohol" rule in the store I play in and a lack of true prison in the format.
    If you consider Ponza as a prison deck. I think there is a Mono Green and Mono Black version of the deck.

Thread Information