View Poll Results: Most bannable card in Legacy? (not that they will touch it)

Voters
192. You may not vote on this poll
  • Brainstorm

16 8.33%
  • Force of Will

4 2.08%
  • Lion's Eye Diamond

35 18.23%
  • Counterbalance

34 17.71%
  • Sensei's Divining Top

103 53.65%
  • Tarmogoyf

46 23.96%
  • Phyrexian Dreadnaught

2 1.04%
  • Goblin Lackey

4 2.08%
  • Standstill

6 3.13%
  • Natural Order

8 4.17%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 998 of 1178 FirstFirst ... 498898948988994995996997998999100010011002100810481098 ... LastLast
Results 19,941 to 19,960 of 23542

Thread: All B/R update speculation.

Re: All B/R update speculation.

I am not sure who started the ban fetches thing. I agree it would help the format in some ways to ban fetches. Maybe a lot, maybe a little. However, it's not the legacy I want to play. I like them, and want them to stay.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

People who want them banned should just start a side format and try it out.
    -rob

Quote Originally Posted by tsabo_tavoc View Post
    Edit: If DRS were banned due to colour pie infringement, WotC would have happily stated it. This is one of their favorite excuses after all.
    Favorite excuses? Have they ever cited "color pie infringement" as a rationale for a ban before?

Quote Originally Posted by Brael View Post
    Technically, banning fetches would be admitting 10 mistakes, and would do up to $2000 in damage to each Legacy players collection value.
    How would it cause them to lose that much in their collection's value? I expect most of the demand for them is because of Modern, which they'd still be legal in, so I think their value would only drop a small amount at most. Or are we banning them in Modern as well? Because I think there's actually less reason to ban them in Modern than in Legacy.

May 2015
    PDX

Quote Originally Posted by mistercakes View Post
    People who want them banned should just start a side format and try it out.
    It comes back to reserved list and dual prices; the supply side issue would have to be fixed before we could take a serious look at banning Fetchlands. You could figure things out about how legacy functions without Fetchlands, but what's the point? The format is too expensive to maintain widespread play, becomes too small to support GPs, and extreme price demands would create a long-term, pay-to-win environment (not much point playing when you win because opponent couldn't afford the optimal cards for optimal strategies). A trial run with no-proxies would also be heavily skewed towards Cavern/Vial (definitely), R/G Lands (probably), Elves (likely), and an overabundance of UW control (the blue deck with the lowest dual need, and little issue taking a turn off for direct Mirage Fetch substitutions). Minor cost-driven players would include Shadow, a Reanimator variant, an SnT deck. Delver-types probably move towards midrange as trying to get under other decks is a bit difficult when you can't really count on perfect mana with perfect velocity. Most three color decks would not be played in percentages representative of their competitiveness; I'd expect a notable exception in 3c decks using Grove/P-Fire [cheap bonus dual]. You can keep going down the list and the format is going to look and feel mostly similar, just a bit slower, more accommodating to diverse strategies, feature more 2c approaches to deckbuilding, but warped by price constraints.

The list of most ban-worthy cards isn't going to change much in terms of what's already there. Assuming we got past the financial impracticality of banning Fetchlands [this unbans DRS] your next suspects would be: Counterbalance [this unbans SDT], Probe [stays banned], Ancient Tomb. My list there is descending order of importance, but Ancient Tomb would probably move above CB, with Fetches banned, for the reason @Ace/Homebrew outlines [Turbo Moon]. Harder to speculate what other cards you'd have to legitimately add to that ban-worthy list in a post-Fetchland format, but given the predicable implications of financial realities warping the format I imagine Aether Vial would be a quick include. A more correct proposal would probably be to add Mox Diamond to the discussion.

The abstract answer to what legacy looks like without Fetchlands is just as playable and enjoyable as it has always been [in that it would be more diverse, more enjoyable]. What is strange has been the couple of people over the past three pages arguing that Fetchlands aren't the engine responsible for many/most of legacy's problems.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Ace/Homebrew View Post
    If fetches get banned, then people will come after Blood Moon. So this line of thinking need to fucking stop!
    Blood Moon was a card long before Fetches even existed, yet the card didnt cause the game to collapse in the years between The Dark and Onslaught. Maybe people simply built decks with that in mind.

It's kinda funny that throwing 1-2 basics in your deck seems to be the maximum tradeoff people are willing to accept in order to not fold to Bloodmoon, Choke, Wasteland and Back to Basics.
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    Blood Moon was a card long before Fetches even existed, yet the card didnt cause the game to collapse in the years between The Dark and Onslaught. Maybe people simply built decks with that in mind.
    So was Brainstorm.

It's kinda funny that throwing 1-2 basics in your deck seems to be the maximum tradeoff people are willing to accept in order to not fold to Bloodmoon, Choke, Wasteland and Back to Basics.
    Mostly because that's all you need...

I’m afraid I agree with kombatkiwi. Why would we want to remove more cards from a format that’s supposed to be every magic card minus power minus ‘joke’ cards? Shouldn’t we rather demand new cards printed explicitly for legacy? Like new ‘blue shell’ hoser or whatever you guys feel is so harmful to the format?

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Mostly because that's all you need...
    That's correct with virtual 10+ Basics thanks to fetches. I however question if the low effort it takes today to evade non-basic land hate should be any benchmark to judge the effect Bloodmoon & Co would have on a post-fetch Legacy.

I think the logic step to not get blown out by Bloodmoon & friends isnt to ban Bloodmoon next, but to adjust/dismiss greedy manabases.

Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by MechTactical View Post
    I’m afraid I agree with kombatkiwi. Why would we want to remove more cards from a format that’s supposed to be every magic card minus power minus ‘joke’ cards? Shouldn’t we rather demand new cards printed explicitly for legacy? Like new ‘blue shell’ hoser or whatever you guys feel is so harmful to the format?
    Except it's not the case at all, otherwise Earthcraft & shit were all legal. In fact WotC has added plenty of cards to the Legacy ban list instead. The recent topic in this thread is, how much longer WotC wants to ban every card riding on top of the wave which is the cantrip shell
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Jan 2016
    Italy

Maybe because nobody found a "serious question" between all the trolling, acting stupid on purpose and excessive LOLs?
    There is a saying that you can discuss seriously with an idiot only to a certain limit before you lower yourself to his level.
    To say it in a more 2.0 fashion: when I feel I want to waste some time, I apply my personal version of "don't feed the trolls" which is "answer to the trolls as a troll".

Here http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...=1#post1050877
    I explained seriously why in my not-so-humble-opinion I think brainstorm+fetchlands is good for format diversity, for enjoying the game experience, and even for having a format where skill is a little bit more important than luck.

I even bothered to answer to some obviously wrong sentences like "The argument against Fetchlands is not controversial" by pointing out that if we are speaking of it and we have different OPINIONS about it, obviously it is controversial.
    Maybe discussing the scenario could be interesting as an exercise of "WHAT IF" (personally, I think WOTC banning fetches it's something that will never happen, and it should never happen, so I don't find even the speculations entertaining), but certainly it's not something people can't disagree with.

Also I said something I think it should be very obvious: THE BURDEN OF PROOF LIES WITH THE ONE WHO IS MAKING THE CLAIM, not with the one who is refusing to believe it.
    If you say "Fetchlands use pushes out more strategies than they enable" it's you that should prove it. Yes, Fox has made a list of HYPOTHESIS of what COULD happen, but he can't prove that's what WILL happen.

Almost everybody who tries to support his opinion that fetches should/could be banned comes out contradicting himself:
    Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    You could figure things out about how legacy functions without Fetchlands, but what's the point? The format is too expensive to maintain widespread play, becomes too small to support GPs, and extreme price demands would create a long-term, pay-to-win environment
    and that obviously would be a good thing?!
    The abstract answer to what legacy looks like without Fetchlands is just as playable and enjoyable as it has always been [in that it would be more diverse, more enjoyable]. What is strange has been the couple of people over the past three pages arguing that Fetchlands aren't the engine responsible for many/most of legacy's problems.
    Really. What can I say if not LOL?!
    What even are legacy's problems?
    Can you illustrate why they are due to fetchlands and nothing else?

Fetchlands as an "Engine" (?!) that SUPPRESS format diversity?!
    I asked for explicit examples of what kind of archetypes, or even decks, aren't playable BECAUSE fetches exist and ONLY BECAUSE fetches exists. I haven't seen anything.
    As a counter-example, I illustrated why the line of reasoning "fetchlands-decks-are-all-the-same-thing" is bugged, and of course I used a "trolling" tone, because come on, YOU are saying that fetchland numbers in decklists are a sufficient reason for speaking of a dominance that reduces diversity, so all that I have to do is to refute this:
    Quote Originally Posted by talpa View Post
    Nic-fit vs canadian? they both have fetchland, so it's a mirror match!
    Miracle vs delver? they both have fetchland, it's a mirror match!
    Aggro Loam vs Infect? they both have fetchland, it's a mirror match!
    Elves vs ANT? they both have fetchland, it's a mirror match!
    Is this a trolling tone? Maybe. But it's also a relevant observation, and I repeat, nobody even tried to address this. So yes, I still believe that you all ignored, maybe on purpose, the serious arguments.

And with this I come to incidentally answer also to
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    I wasn't arguing a point, just revealing how talpa argues. It was intentionally 'dumb'. The point I was making that it was a leap to think that arguing for a healthier format (whether or not you agree what is healthy or not) doesn't mean a specific deck agenda is being pushed. What is being pushed is the health of the format.

Take the ban-fetch argument and deal with it on its own merits, or lack of it. Don't toss out childish accusations, which aren't even implied, that the 'ban-fetch-bandwagon' (news to me that this even exists) wants janky garbage decks to be tier 1. You might as well just say "you don't want fetches cuz you're a loooozer who plays bad decks."
    Sorry, but not sorry. I think that banning fetchland would result to be unhealty, so I think I have all the rights to say that pushing the fetchland ban would have the same results as if you were directly pushing stupid decks, even if it is not done on purpose and the ones who do that believe that they are pushing the healtiness of the format.
    As I said, if I am speaking with someone who refuses to be reasonable, I don't feel bad for starting with accusations. Either he is willingly refusing to take in considerations the arguments of the opposing part (and if so, I am right to at least suppose that he has some kind of unspoken agenda) or he is incapable of doing it. I dealt with the ban-fetch arguments seriously in the post that I linked above, and again here. Maybe there are others that don't deal with the "don't ban fetchlands" argument with its own merits.

that's a net gain. Many cards could conceivably become more fair without fetches
    Maybe; and many others cards would become unplayable or be nerfed. Have you some kind of quantitative estimate for saying that the "enabled" ones would be more than the "disabled" ones? How can you account for the difference between the single-cards discussion and switch to the estimate of "archetypes" enabled and disabled by this hypothetical ban?
    Then again, I'll start with accusations: either you are taking for granted something that it isn't, or (yes, I accuse) you have some kind of different agenda in mind. Maybe it's an unconscious thing, but still, you ARE implying that the cards that would be enabled would be better than the ones that would be disabled (but not explicitly explaining it)... and the only reason that I can imagine is that you like the former and/or dislike the latter.

I end this wall of text by addressing once again why I feel the need to start trolling: because some arguments are so evidently flawed that I almost can't believe someone is using them as arguments: apparently obvious "facts" that don't prove anything used as if they would be some kind of definitive proof.

Blood Moon was a card long before Fetches even existed, yet the card didnt cause the game to collapse in the years between The Dark and Onslaught. Maybe people simply built decks with that in mind
    Or maybe at the time many cards weren't printed yet that could allow a tier to emerge so clearly: magus of the moon, chalice of the void, trinisphere, simian spirit guide, chrome mox, hazoret, chandra, karn,...
    Or even more simply, the vast majority of people chose to have fun by playing colored decks instead of hating them

May 2007
    Italy, Eternal

We banned needless for this?

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

I for my part, am pretty sure facing a troll, if I talk about the "engine" what Brainstorm+Ponder+Fetchlands form for all dominating control/tempo/midrange decks of the format and just get responses like "LOL! Windswept Heath is no engine! LMAO!"

There is a certain rock bottom of nonsense not worth adressing. This isnt 4chan.

Join us at Facebook!

Jan 2016
    Italy

Quote Originally Posted by Gheizen64 View Post
    We banned needless for this?
    Who are you referring to?
    If it's me... haven't I also written many real arguments?

There is a certain rock bottom of nonsense not worth adressing. This isnt 4chan.
    Yes, and that's you. Keep not addressing the serious arguments

I for my part, am pretty sure facing a troll, if I talk about the "engine" what Brainstorm+Ponder+Fetchlands form for all dominating control/tempo/midrange decks of the format and just get responses like "LOL! Windswept Heath is no engine! LMAO!"
    You should check your vocabulary for the meaning of "engine". That's not an engine. If you need an example that you (maybe) can better understand, Life From the Loam in a lands deck is an engine. Survival of the Fittest is an engine. Brainstorm + fetchlands, an engine it is not (I recall Yoda saying that).
    Also, fetchlands (because you are NOT advocating for the brainstorm/ponder ban) are played also in non-blue deck, as I repeteadly said. And, blue fetchlands are run also in combo, not only in contro/tempo/midrange.

Before you ban me (LOL and LOL again) I'd like also to thank kombatkiwi.
    I write too many lines when what I said really boils down to "you haven't and never will be able to prove that without fetchlands the format diversity will improve".
    But even if you could, we will still be right to disagree that the new format would be BETTER, because as I said in my first post what you find "GOOD" is completely subjective.

I find this illuminating and encourage every ban-fetchland supporter to start a movement for removing the OP queen in chess.
    Quote Originally Posted by kombatkiwi View Post
    - In every chess match in modern history each player has had 8 Pawns 2 Rooks 2 Bishops 2 Knights 1 King and 1 Queen. Every player has used the exact same pieces for over 100 years in a 16 v 16 mirror match and the game has remained popular
    - In Yugioh, for example, the popular historical formats are 'Goat Format' or 'Tele-DAD format', times when there was a tier 0 midrange/control deck and at the top level of competition you would only face mirror matches where everybody's list was like 80% the same

Many players are not excited by the possibility of winning with many different decks and would rather play a familiar match where players have more of an opportunity to influence the outcome by making in-game decisions.
    Also, please
    acknowledge that there are a significant number of people who see your 48% [of fetchland presence in decklists] and don't give a shit. You're still acting like this data is a massive revelation and that once people know the truth everybody will immediately jump on your bandwagon

But of course, I am the troll, not the ones who I dare to call "conspiracist" because they mistake an irrelevant number for a Divine Revelation.

Fetchland Tendrils proves it's an engine. It was built entirely on the concept that if you cantrip and then shuffle often enough, you will eventually "pseudo-tutor" what you are looking for just based on stats. The deck was miles better than the deck it was derived from, IGGY Pop, and it was because of this. That same concept is used in control decks like Miracles to find answers, tempo decks to find a threat to keep their clock going, and by combo to pseudo-tutor.

If that's not an engine, I don't know what is.

Edit: frankly, I would argue that fetchlands are the patsies for the cantrip cartel.

Agreed, but the argument for a fetch ban still intrigues me. I may not have a full set of duals, but I am heavily invested in fetches.

Can we at least recognize that there is at least a valid argument for banning fetches, even if ultimately it won't, and probably shouldn't, happen? My main peeve is that most players dismiss it out of hand without at least considering what it would do. Is it right to ban fetches? Probably not. But it's a thought provoking idea.

I mean, it's not like this thread actually affects bannings. It's all speculation and shop talk as far as I'm concerned.
    I can agree there's an argument to ban fetches, but I think that doing such a thing would require an equally powerful mana fixing land be introduced to the format because the fact is, players find 3 colors fun and if decks were reduced to two colors being the default, it would kill a lot of interest in the format. A couple pages ago I mentioned a potential design, which would solve the issues with fetches (namely the shuffling) but still allow for powerful mana fixing.

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

I can agree there's an argument to ban fetches, but I think that doing such a thing would require an equally powerful mana fixing land be introduced to the format because the fact is, players find 3 colors fun and if decks were reduced to two colors being the default, it would kill a lot of interest in the format. A couple pages ago I mentioned a potential design, which would solve the issues with fetches (namely the shuffling) but still allow for powerful mana fixing.
    I really appreciate this post, you can't possibly know how much. This is what encourages conversation. Cheers!

Regarding whether fetchlands + cantrips is an engine, I can't see the difference between grove/fires, loam/cycle lands, crucible/canopy (that was a thing once), crop rotation/utility lands, knight/ lands, and fetchlands/cantrips. They are all engines that perform a specific function that decks are built around. Mr. Talpa, this is an obvious fact, and is obviously the easiest engine to include with a near-zero opportunity cost.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

May 2015
    PDX

@talpa the bar for skill with Brainstorm is pretty low with Fetchlands because you have these cards that can barely be interacted with providing shuffles, perfect mana with perfect velocity, and putting a land in the graveyard. There is a more minor effect of increasing the EV of every draw each time 1 land drawn pulls a second out of the deck. It's not that a deck like ANT can't have the most complex Brainstorm decisions in the format, but Fetchlands set a really low bar across the board. Fetchlands do not increase diversity, the only competitive decks that don't use them are Dredge variants, Cavern/Vial variants, and stompy variants - pretty sure that's about the complete list of competitive decks anyone could expect to run into on a routine basis which have no Fetchlands. Greedy mana bases, doing things like playing 4 colors with some basic lands, can only compete because of Fetchlands - losing these decks is a net positive change in format diversity (not that they're really lost, as you could run them with Mirage fetches, opting for greater risk of hostile interaction). Since you'd latch onto "net positive change" I'll rehash: a large increase in 2c decks and a general slowing-down of the format allowing other strategies.

Fetchlands are engine cards, it's not hard to see why Brainstorm latches onto free shuffles/perfect mana/perfect velocity and on the backside why cards like DRS/threshold/delve use the other resource it provides in the graveyard - note also how these are different resource pools, so you play cards that hit both sides of the Fetchland engine together. There's little need to continue discussion as to whether or not Fetchlands are engine or not, they simply are. With very few exceptions (listed in previous paragraph) you can't compete with Fetchland decks unless you yourself also run Fetchlands - this isn't diverse, it's not optional.

In your last post where I've been quoted @talpa, you've missed the point of everything I said as well as the fact that I was discussing the hypothetical of a no Fetchland format were it to be introduced today. Objectively positive goals (increasing player base, increasing competitive outlets/strategies) were alluded to and interpreted within the context of a Fetchland ban. Go back a few posts and remember the comment about the only objectively positive aspect of Fetchlands is keeping the cost of the format down - that positive is only held up by the artificial decision to uphold the RL. These aren't red herrings I keep throwing in, but a constant over the years from my posts in this forum - I discuss cards based on logical external metrics. The conclusions I draw from that starting point do not represent the only conclusion possible, but it does display how I get to the points I am making because a discussed card/change represents a decreased player base, decreased diversity, and/or insurmountable one-sided advantage (in rare cases, exceedingly poor card design by itself warrants discussion). So I'll make this clear again: at no point in the passage you're quoting did I say or imply that decreasing access to format would be a positive change.

What is your external metric @talpa? Or are you really trying to seriously argue that Fetchlands aren't engine cards pushing out non-Fetchland decks? The only constant in your posts seems to be that you like the idea of 4c good stuff; and yes, it would probably disappear [from competitive play] if Fetchlands got axed. Liking 4c good stuff is a minority opinion, it's fine to enjoy playing legacy that way, but that style isn't exactly diverse as everyone else keeps facing more and more of the exact same usual suspects.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

I can agree there's an argument to ban fetches, but I think that doing such a thing would require an equally powerful mana fixing land be introduced to the format because the fact is, players find 3 colors fun and if decks were reduced to two colors being the default, it would kill a lot of interest in the format.
    That's a productive post indeed and sry that your previous post got burried. A fetchless legacy would open a lot of space for potential trilands to be printed and see play.

@Fox
    I apprechiate your complex posts outlining the fact that we not only discuss a potential removal of 10 cards but something greater, affecting all of the formats structure. I think you waste your time if you see yourself forced to elaborate basic MTG terms like cardquality engines

Join us at Facebook!

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

Quote Originally Posted by kombatkiwi View Post
    Your problem is that you simply state that ubiquity is bad, you don't explain why and you assume everybody who disagrees with you is trolling:

1.) Ubiquity of a card in the format is not inherently a bad thing

2). Nobody has put any effort into predicting what will actually happen to the format if fetchlands are banned
    1. Yes it generally is. It is one of Wizards criteria for justifying a card ban. Consider mental misstep. You can also look at Vintage. The power level of old cards vs new cards means that fewer decks are in the meta. Ubiquity lessens diversity. You could even argue that at some point ubiquity will create a game like chess where everyone plays the same deck and it comes down to who plays it best. I dont know about you but I dont want to play a game like chess with significant limitations.

2. You dont need to predict what will happen. Just look back on historical data of what the format was like before fetch lands existed. There are people that comment on it but you choose not to listen. The format will demand that you now consider manabase as part of deck construction instead of just fetches + duals = success. It will allow other decks to be played in the format.

Quote Originally Posted by Hanni View Post
    Yes, let's ban the best cards so that worse cards become the best cards. And then we can ban those, too.
    Thats not really how it works...Additionally, thats not really one of the criteria for wizards when looking at whether to ban a card or not. Granted they have shitty criteria anyways and most people here (mtgthesource) would probably argue that they could do a better job at creating the format.

One thing wizards COULD do but won't because they are stubborn is use MTGO to create test formats where certain card are banned. They could use that data to see if banning certain cards has the desired effect.

If fetches get banned, then people will come after Blood Moon. So this line of thinking need to fucking stop!
    Nope. Blood moon has been around since the dark (almost as long as duals) and it was never a problem before because people didn't always play super greedy mana bases like they do now

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Seth View Post
    Favorite excuses? Have they ever cited "color pie infringement" as a rationale for a ban before?

How would it cause them to lose that much in their collection's value? I expect most of the demand for them is because of Modern, which they'd still be legal in, so I think their value would only drop a small amount at most. Or are we banning them in Modern as well? Because I think there's actually less reason to ban them in Modern than in Legacy.
    Color pie infringement is not something they will ever cite because they created a color that does nothing without other colors. Blue's color identify is one of the biggest problems. It does nothing by itself. Notice the lack of real win conditions listed for blue... It will almost always be paired with another color outside of merfolk because it needs another color to do something aggressive. In time, they may print enough awesome delver / TNN like creatures and we'll all be playing mono blue creature beats.

Quick look at color identities (im sure this could be better and is not intended to be all inclusive)

Green: Mana creatures, creature buffs, Big Creatures, Fair
    Red: Fast creatures, Cheap spells, direct damage, random
    Black: Discard, powerful effects with drawbacks (cards for life, fast mana, mana efficient creatures)
    White: Efficient creatures, Creatures with powerful abilities, hatebears, protection / lifegain
    Blue: Counterspells, card draw, tutors, trickery

Oh and banning fetch lands wouldnt really drop their value much. They would still be played in modern and vintage, but probably wouldn't be reprinted until their value appreciated again.
    Play 4 Card Blind!

Currently Playing
    Legacy: Dark Depths
    EDH: 5-Color Hermit Druid

Currently Brewing: [Deck] Sadistic Sacrament / Chalice NO Eldrazi

why cards are so expensive...hoarders

Jan 2016
    Italy

Regarding whether fetchlands + cantrips is an engine, I can't see the difference between grove/fires, loam/cycle lands, crucible/canopy (that was a thing once), crop rotation/utility lands, knight/ lands, and fetchlands/cantrips
    I can see a very relevant difference.
    An engine works continuously, repeteadly, without the need of more cards.
    Grove+PFires? You only need one of each one to keep going.
    Loam? You don't even need cycle lands in addition, it's an engine on its own.
    Crucible+Canopy, Kinght? They work on their own.

Brainstorm+fetchlands? they don't replace themselves, once you used your brainstorm it gets binned, once you use your fetchland it's gone. They don't go on and on unless you draw more copies of them. It's a pretty big difference. (of course you could say that a cantrip helps you to find another different one; but that's a completely different thing)

Anyway, it's just a name for the thing. I'd say that brainstorm+fetchlands is a FEATURE that concurs to define WHAT THE FORMAT IS (along with other cards like Force of Will or Wasteland). If you want to call that an engine, I can't stop you, but there is a difference with the other ones cited (and I haven't seen anyone call for the ban of those, event though if this thread keeps going this way I don't know what we can expect, there is no limit to the craziness of some people).

Quote Originally Posted by apple713 View Post
    You dont need to predict what will happen. Just look back on historical data of what the format was like before fetch lands existed. (...)
    Blood moon has been around since the dark (almost as long as duals) and it was never a problem before because people didn't always play super greedy mana bases like they do now
    Actually you do need to predict (and nobody can). Because old formats are just that, old format. Neither blood moon alone nor fetchlands are the only thing you can consider, since there were plenty of prints and modification since those days, and you can't estimate the behaviour of a complex system ignoring all variables but one. Hell, even the real world is changed meanwhile, and it affects how the game is played: nobody was netdecking in 1994 (and yes, I was playing in those times).

the only constant in your posts seems to be that you like the idea of 4c good stuff
    You not only continue to put in my mouth words I never wrote, but you are even ignoring that I already denied that. I never played czech pile in Legacy (nor 4c delver). I actually hated since day1 that deathrite, while giving birth to some decks that I personally found fun like shardless, enabled things like jund to become competitive (and that was one of the dumb, good stuff decks, even if it was long before czech pile and even if it was only three colors). I already said that my line of reasoning applies to a large amount of decks.
    Yes, I do like Turbo Xerox decks. They can be anything from monocolored to tri-color. And I'd guess they would survive even if fetchlands would get banned, even more so if you plan to unban things like treasure cruise or dig through time believing that fetchlands are the only thing allowing the delve mechanic. If you mantain access to cantrips, you can easily fill your graveyard with things like brainstorm, ponder, preordain, even thought scour if needed, and know what? indeed even in pauper you get to play gurmag anglers easily if you want to.

Since you'd latch onto "net positive change" I'll rehash: a large increase in 2c decks and a general slowing-down of the format allowing other strategies
    Aaaaah finally we got you, and with you, maybe many others on the ban-fetchland bandwagon: it's not a question of format diversity, it's not me that I like 4c good stuff decks (which I don't). It's YOU that BASED ON YOUR PERSONAL PREFERENCES, WOULD LIKE TO SEE SLOW, BICOLOR DECKS, thinking that would be a better experience.
    Maybe it's true what MrSafety said:
    You might as well just say "you don't want fetches cuz you're a loooozer who plays bad decks"
    I completely disagree, but you have the right to have your own LIKES and dislikes, as long as you are honest with that and you also admit that others can like different things and they have the same right as you.

it's not hard to see why Brainstorm latches onto free shuffles/perfect mana/perfect velocity
    And maybe it's the same bandwagon that really, reeeaaally would like to see brainstom banned? But since they have troubles they try to reach the same goal in more obscure ways.
    I have news for you. On April 15th Aaron Forsythe clearly stated that brainstorm is here to remain, while replying on twitter to a question about workshop in vintage: It's one of the "pillars of the format" that makes it unique and players tolerate/love. It's like Brainstorm in Legacy. Every saturation metric we could ever invent would point to it being banned, but people love it. Transgressive stuff needs a place to live
    And, though this one is just an hypothesis like yours, I'd bet that brainstorm would live also in a world without fetchland. You can easily fit shuffle effect in tutors: zenith, entomb... and since you like so much bicolors deck, I'd build a UW deck with brainstorms and JTMS, and stoneforge mystics and squadron hawks to shuffle (and the second ones also to transform a brainstorm from card quality to real card quantity advantage). Guess what? For a while it was legal in standard, and it was one of the most polarized, UNFUN metagames, with a clear tier0 deck, and you would face mirrors all day. Miracles of fetchlands (of course, there were fetches in the format... Really don't know why WOTC didn't ban them and instead chose something else to hit).
    (I repeat since it seems you continue to miss that: brainstorm is no ancestral recall...)

Fetchlands do not increase diversity, the only competitive decks that don't use them are Dredge variants, Cavern/Vial variants, and stompy variants (...) What is your external metric @talpa? Or are you really trying to seriously argue that Fetchlands aren't engine cards pushing out non-Fetchland decks
    My metric is format diversity; I measure that by counting the number of different strategies that are viable. In legacy, almost any deck can put up results, even though of course I'd admit that certain decks "push out" of the format other less-performing decks. Tcdecks is listing 80 different archetypes, not counting rogues. I'd say legacy is a pretty diverse format as of now (no, I should say, even before the deathrite ban). But again, guess what? Before the deathrite ban, red stompy could easily be the best tier deck, and indeed look at the GP Birmingham results. Guess another thing? I don't know on MTGO, but in the real world, on paper, people don't change deck easily, many play their pet-deck, and the Legacy format overall is really less competitive than, say, standard. So the best performing decks don't really "push out" completely anything.
    Also, I'd say that dredge, merfolks, goblin, death and taxes, red stompy, steel stompy, eldrazi, 12 post, is a long enough list of competitive decks withouth fetchlands.

But most of all, I'd really like if the ban-fetchland supporters cared to answer just a single question, in regard of "format diversity": do you think canadian threshold, show and tell, miracles, reanimator, aggro loam, elves, ANT are each the same and equal to one another? Do they all have the same gameplan, do you have the same game experience playing with or against each one of them as if they were all identical?

If not (and I can't see how you can seriously mantain the contrary) you cannot arbitrarily divide the metagame in "decks with fetchlands" and "decks withouth fechlands" because there are many other things that define a deck build and strategy.
    So, you have no solid ground to say that fetchlands decrease the format diversity, even less so when you can't accurately predict what a format withouth them would be.

To say that they diminish the format diversity using only their number as an argument, is like saying that vintage diversity is diminished because everybody (except dredge) plays black lotus (not only turbo xerox but even workshop decks). So, should they ban black lotus? Or maybe you can accept that vintage is DEFINED as a FORMAT by the fact that you get to play the most broken cards ever printed. In the same way, LEGACY IS DEFINED by the fact that you can play brainstorm (fetchlands, force of will, wasteland). You should just accept that, or go play another format instead of trying to ruin it for the ones that enjoy that.
    (Not that you can succeed in that; and before you start again accusing me of liking turbo xerox: of course, but you don't see me arguing that WOTC should ban blood moon, magus of the moon, chalice of the void, trinisphere and sol-lands. I accept they are part of what the format is).

May 2015
    PDX

C'mon man, Brainstorm/DRS/delve/threshold these are all spokes on the wheel, and they all connect to Fetchlands. You could keep banning every spoke that connects to the wheel (@Lemnear outlined this in detail earlier), but even if that were done you'd still be left with the fact that by themselves Fetchlands have fractions of Mana Severance tagged on for free making them better than a normal mana producing land in any reasonable scenario. Those spokes are fine even if poorly designed, just like the entire dredge mechanic is fine since it's a spoke that can't connect to the wheel called Bazaar of Baghdad. Your posts insist on treating the symptoms and denying that a disease is the unifying cause. Brainstorm and DRS are fine without Fetchlands.

There's not much point continuing a discussion if you don't see the parallels in such a metaphor. It's fine to have a different opinion, but you have failed to lay out a logical basis for your claim. Look at your stuff in response to @apple713: "nobody can [predict]..." When did @apple713 say that he/she is the infallible source of information on this topic; that was a hypothesis they put out with a logical foundation. Right and wrong don't matter, being reasonable does and that comment passes the test - @Ace/Homebrew's opposite comment about Moon is also reasonable...my comment that Ancient Tomb is probably the card we should really be discussing with this Blood Moon sub-topic is also reasonable. You've offered nothing other than a diversionary attack without any substance underneath.

You just shot down @apple713 for making a hypothesis citing pre-Onslaught experience. In the same post you expect us to listen to your expert opinion predicting legacy implications based on a standard deck you played? really?

Thread Information