View Poll Results: Most bannable card in Legacy? (not that they will touch it)

Voters
192. You may not vote on this poll
  • Brainstorm

16 8.33%
  • Force of Will

4 2.08%
  • Lion's Eye Diamond

35 18.23%
  • Counterbalance

34 17.71%
  • Sensei's Divining Top

103 53.65%
  • Tarmogoyf

46 23.96%
  • Phyrexian Dreadnaught

2 1.04%
  • Goblin Lackey

4 2.08%
  • Standstill

6 3.13%
  • Natural Order

8 4.17%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 970 of 1178 FirstFirst ... 47087092096096696796896997097197297397498010201070 ... LastLast
Results 19,381 to 19,400 of 23542

Thread: All B/R update speculation.

Re: All B/R update speculation.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    I think it's undeniable, that Brainstorm and Ponder are warping the format around themselves, if paired with free shuffle effects. There is also no question that decks without these tools suffer from variance significantly more, which is relevant in tournaments.

There is only disagreement about the consequences towards the format and solutions.
    Agreed.

Now go and put a poster outside of Wizards HQ (as someone did for TOP)

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by HSCK View Post
    Except you know, the vast majority of people actually playing the format. The posters in this thread should just make their own legacy without all those cards and be joined by the five other people that might play it.
    I am 100% sure the "vast majority" knows that the blue shell is overpowered.

However these players split in different camps. Some are fine with there being a best shell if strategic diversity remains (arguably not the case atm), some others want different shells to perform equally, while the next group just wants specific decks to be better positioned. I mean there are even people who enjoy BUGx mirror matches all day. Everyone their opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Miagi View Post
    Agreed.

Now go and put a poster outside of Wizards HQ (as someone did for TOP)
    There is a next to zero chance that "Brainstorm" is written there, because I am not in favor of chopping the Hydras head just to see a new one being grown in 3 months. If one wants to act, go for the root not the sprout.
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Quote Originally Posted by WashableWater1 View Post
    Maybe its because a vast majority of people dont agree with that assessment
    I think that's a fair statement. The majority of people don't think they should be removed form the format. that's not ht same as them not being broken though. Legacy is a format of broken things. Is the cantrip suite more broken than the other broken things? I dunno, but WotC has made it clear that the cantrip suite is a "pillar of legacy", whatever that means, and is thus untouchable.

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

Except you know, the vast majority of people actually playing the format. The posters in this thread should just make their own legacy without all those cards and be joined by the five other people that might play it.
    That, or do what I do, play Chalice, Wasteland, Crucible and whatever else I can so you can't play and I can. Now you can watch me as I play with myself and you can't do shit. Fairs fair. If I made a new format I would have no one to slowly drive crazy as I sadisticly cut off their ability to play for my own amusement.

My answer to Brainstorm these days, be that dick everyone here bitches about who's not fun to play against. It's not like we had two massive threads about why Chalice needs to be banned and all I was thinking is "Hey, your tears make great lube."
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

Sometimes I just don't care about whether I agree with Dice_Box. I like the way he says it.
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    This. The argument is no longer whether or not these cards are busted. All of them are banned or restricted in every other format for a reason.
    Why not play those formats, then? Legacy is strategically diverse and fine the way it is; I personally am glad there is still a format that allows for multiple approaches, including the option to play cards to reduce variance. Formats feeling different is a good thing, not an anomaly.

The thing about discussing fetches as a ban is that they are one of the things keeping duals from being thousands of dollars - if you think legacy decks are expensive now, just wait until you need four seas to cast your Grim Birds of Lavadise.

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by taconaut View Post
    The thing about discussing fetches as a ban is that they are one of the things keeping duals from being thousands of dollars - if you think legacy decks are expensive now, just wait until you need four seas to cast your Grim Birds of Lavadise.
    Other dual land options will actually become more viable. Think Blooming Marsh and Darkslick Shores; both of those will go up in price and be seen more. They aren't fetchable, which is what holds them back, but without fetches they would become overnight staples. Land types would still be relevant (ie Island for Daze), so some decks wouldn't have any real reprieve (and would cause the spike you are looking at for Volcanic Island due to needing it for Daze.) However, many other strategies will just ignore the true duals altogether. Why play fetchable duals without fetches? A format as low to the ground as legacy would snatch up all those fastlands in a hurry. You want to make other dual-land options viable in legacy? Ban fetches.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    Other dual land options will actually become more viable. Think Blooming Marsh and Darkslick Shores; both of those will go up in price and be seen more. They aren't fetchable, which is what holds them back, but without fetches they would become overnight staples. Land types would still be relevant (ie Island for Daze), so some decks wouldn't have any real reprieve (and would cause the spike you are looking at for Volcanic Island due to needing it for Daze.) However, many other strategies will just ignore the true duals altogether. Why play fetchable duals without fetches? A format as low to the ground as legacy would snatch up all those fastlands in a hurry. You want to make other dual-land options viable in legacy? Ban fetches.
    Sure, they might see more play, but they're still (almost) strictly worse, so to be truly competitive you'd need to load up duals first.

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    This seems to me to be an ideal situation for Legacy. I'm not advocating anything, mind you. But if duals (or fetchies or both) are gone, you get Legacy all of the sudden become a showcase for all of the lands ever printed. You get hard decisions on which lands to include in your deck. That seems to me to be a very good outcome to strive for. Is there a version of this scenario in Modern?

As a side note, I have continuously advocated having more fun with lands with stuff like:

Lagoon to Return to
    Land - Island

Lagoon to Return to is Blue
    Lagoon to Return to enters the battlefield tapped.
    When ~this~ enters the battlefield, discard two cards then draw a card.

Slopes Under the Tree Line
    Land - Forest Mountain

Indestructible
    When ~this~ enters the battlefield, lose 1 life.

Lands of this sort have a specific function specific to Legacy that is situationally excellent, but generally not as good as the typical options. I would love to see a Legacy-specific expansion, or even Eternal-specific, not legal in Standard, that has such interesting cards in it. I suppose it would take too much playtesting for them to push the envelope with so many cards.
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Sure, they might see more play, but they're still (almost) strictly worse, so to be truly competitive you'd need to load up duals first.
    This is logical, but I think you'd also see an influx of modern players attempting to port over their mana-bases (sans fetches.) Are fastlands/buddy lands strictly worse than true duals? Of course they are, but when you can't fetch duals you will have to incorporate many more dual lands to make up for the lack of consistency. Likely more basics as well.

Just an example: UR Delver (simple one.) Instead of 10x Fetch, 4x dual, 4x basic it would turn into 10x dual (some mix of Spirebluff Canal, Sulfur Falls, Steam Vents) and 8x basic. Brainstorm ramifications aside, even with 4x Volcanic you would still have to find at least 6 more duals to even get close to a reasonably consistent 2-color mana-base. Three colors? Aye-aye-aye, that would be rough. It's obvious how important fetchlands are to the legacy mana-base formula. I could easily see someone in modern buying into 4x Force of Will (not too bad really, considering) and just using their modern duals (practically everything else in the deck is modern legal.) It will be a little painful for Steam Vents/Daze, but fetching a shock untapped is 3 life already in modern.

I am not advocating the ban of fetchlands; just doing an exercise.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

I think it's undeniable, that Brainstorm and Ponder are warping the format around themselves, if paired with free shuffle effects. There is also no question that decks without these tools suffer from variance significantly more, which is relevant in tournaments.

There is only disagreement about the consequences towards the format and solutions.
    Lotta buzzwords here. If the format is so warped, why is the most popular deck just over 10% of the metagame, and a ton of other decks are hovering around 4-7%. Its not like you can't play non-blue decks, there are a pile of viable alternatives. Its actually about as far from problematic as I can imagine.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Tusks held a team event where one of the formats the cards Frantic Search, Earthcraft, Mindtwist, Survival of the Fittest, and Goblin Recruiter were all legal in normal legacy. The winning deck in that format? Just normal legacy UB Reanimator. We played a gentleman's Mind Twist in the side board of elves but couldn't come up with a reason to play mind Twist over Natural Order
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Aug 2015
    The woods again

Tusks held a team event where one of the formats the cards Frantic Search, Earthcraft, Mindtwist, Survival of the Fittest, and Goblin Recruiter were all legal in normal legacy. The winning deck in that format? Just normal legacy UB Reanimator. We played a gentleman's Mind Twist in the side board of elves but couldn't come up with a reason to play mind Twist over Natural Order
    So someone played an established deck and beat a bunch of brews? I think I saw that happen once.
    All Spells Primer under construction: https://docs.google.com/document/d/e...Tl7utWpLo0/pub
    PM me if you want to contribute!
    Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    Just in time for Valentines Day 💝

Roses are red, violets are blue
    Omae wa mou shindeiru
    Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    Quick question, are you also still waiting for the great pumpkin it did you finally pick it in once December hit?
    Quote Originally Posted by iatee View Post
    I am tired of malicious top 8s and it is time to put an end to the practice.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Deuce View Post
    So someone played an established deck and beat a bunch of brews? I think I saw that happen once.
    Yes Nedleeds on Reanimator defeated Alphastryk's Frantic Search High Tide deck, multiple mind twist brews, and even the incredible overpowered Goblin Recruiter Goblins. Point is goddamn unban some of these pieces of shit so we can fucking play them at least locally (since they're all fucking terrible and wouldn't make an impact in any other event). My team played elves and we didn't even consider playing Survival or Earthcraft because they are awful. Fuck just let us have these god awful toys. I know Land Tax, Dragon, and Black Vise have completely warped and ruined everyone's fun, but let me have some more toys
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Apr 2014
    New Jersey

Why not play those formats, then?
    This thread really needs a drinking game.

Yes Nedleeds on Reanimator defeated Alphastryk's Frantic Search High Tide deck, multiple mind twist brews, and even the incredible overpowered Goblin Recruiter Goblins. Point is goddamn unban some of these pieces of shit so we can fucking play them at least locally (since they're all fucking terrible and wouldn't make an impact in any other event). My team played elves and we didn't even consider playing Survival or Earthcraft because they are awful. Fuck just let us have these god awful toys. I know Land Tax, Dragon, and Black Vise have completely warped and ruined everyone's fun, but let me have some more toys
    I feel like the reason to not unban the stuff thats probably fine is because it doesnt really gain much either way it goes. We either have Scenario A, where they're as bad as people think they are so they dont make a splash, or Scenario B, where it turns out there exists an unforeseen deck that ends up being busted with them. When the gains are so low and the potential cost is so high, even if its unlikely that the banned cards are broken it still makes sense to keep them there. Except Earthcraft.

Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    This seems to me to be an ideal situation for Legacy. I'm not advocating anything, mind you. But if duals (or fetchies or both) are gone, you get Legacy all of the sudden become a showcase for all of the lands ever printed. You get hard decisions on which lands to include in your deck. That seems to me to be a very good outcome to strive for. Is there a version of this scenario in Modern?
    To a certain extent. The fetchland+shockland manabase is the standard in Modern, but you do see dual lands other than those see play for the simple fact that unlike the dual lands, the shocklands come with a drawback, so the fetchland+shockland synergy isn't as powerful in Modern as the fetchland+dual land synergy is in Legacy. A lot of decks will therefore run a few copies of fastlands or checklands.

So for example, if we look at the Top 8 of the last Modern SCG Open:
    http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=19333&d=322831&f=MO

Setting aside Humans, EldraziTron, and Affinity lists due to their fairly unique manabases, you'll notice that while the fetchlands and shocklands are the most popular lands in the other decks (Burn, UWR Control, Jund), all of them are running some dual lands outside of those. The Burn deck is running Inspiring Vantage; UWR Control decks are running Celestial Colonnade, Glacial Fortress, and either Spirebluff Canal or Sulfur Falls; and the Jund deck is running Blackcleave Cliffs, Raging Ravine, and Twilight Mire.

You'll see this pattern continued for spots 9-16. All of the decks running dual lands, all of them, are running at least some non-shock/non-fetch dual lands. Shock+fetch is the staple and most of their dual lands will be one of those two, but the other dual lands can sneak in a few spots whereas they're basically nonentities in Legacy outside of Horizon Canopy and Grove of the Burnwillows.

All that said, the Modern manabases aren't really that much of a "hard decisions"; the number of decisions regarding manabases is relatively small. For example, the only difference between the manabases of the two Top 8 UWR Control decks is rather small (one is running a Spirebluff Canal instead of a Sulfur Falls), and the only difference between the two Jund lists in the full Top 16 is (outside of slightly different fetchland choices), one adding a third Raging Ravine.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Lotta buzzwords here. If the format is so warped, why is the most popular deck just over 10% of the metagame, and a ton of other decks are hovering around 4-7%. Its not like you can't play non-blue decks, there are a pile of viable alternatives. Its actually about as far from problematic as I can imagine.
    This implies that 4c, modern era Team America variants & Co are actually different decks based on switching Gurmag Angler to Leovold, running 2 more lands and similar minor changes. I don't buy it as I mentioned in the past. These decks are about 70% identical in terms of cards and play.

"Viable" isn't quite the most clear term you could pick. What does it mean? "Maybe snatching a T8 spot"? Then yeah, you can play Stompy, DnT and Lands, but it's a gamble on how good you draw/stack/cheat through the tournament against all the decks with library manipulation and draw, while you live off the mercy of your topdeck. The sheer T8 and metagame data at hand indicates that you are better off just playing blue shell + DRS, if you want to win anything. That's one of the issues (if not THE problem by itself).
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

This implies that 4c, modern era Team America variants & Co are actually different decks based on switching Gurmag Angler to Leovold, running 2 more lands and similar minor changes. I don't buy it as I mentioned in the past. These decks are about 70% identical in terms of cards and play.

"Viable" isn't quite the most clear term you could pick. What does it mean? "Maybe snatching a T8 spot"? Then yeah, you can play Stompy, DnT and Lands, but it's a gamble on how good you draw/stack/cheat through the tournament against all the decks with library manipulation and draw, while you live off the mercy of your topdeck. The sheer T8 and metagame data at hand indicates that you are better off just playing blue shell + DRS, if you want to win anything. That's one of the issues (if not THE problem by itself).
    So 4c runs red and K Command, Jace and Snapcaster Mage while Team America runs Delver, Tarmogoyf and Daze. If you're talking BUG Control vs 4c control, I'll give you that they're pretty similar, except that BUG control has mostly been supplanted by Czech Pile.

Viable means: They top 8 tournaments with some frequency, and if you take them to a tournament you have a reasonable chance of doing well. Its a pretty commonly used term. If you are attempting to imply that running cantrips COMPLETELY eliminates consistency issues, thats simply wishful thinking. They reduce it but do not eliminate it.

If you look at the non-blue decks that tend to do well pretty frequently, they improve their consistency in two major ways. Elves, Lands, Depths, Maverick, and to some extent Death and Taxes all improve consistency through running Tutor effects. The other side of the coin is through redundancy. Decks like Moon Stompy, Eldrazi Stompy, BR reanimator and Dredge all improve consistency through running a variety of cards with similar effects, I.E. Blood Moon and Magus of the Moon or Reanimate, Exhume and Animate Dead.

The metagame data suggests that the blue shell is a solid place to start building a deck. However, in no way is it impossible to build a good non-blue deck. Furthermore, the blue shell represents a huge swath of decks, many of which employ vastly different strategies. The blue cantrip shell expands the number of viable decks immensely. If you're upset that inconsistent decks aren't great anymore, that's ok. But don't play it off as being an issue with the format. Its an issue with the decks.

So 4c runs red and K Command, Jace and Snapcaster Mage while Team America runs Delver, Tarmogoyf and Daze. If you're talking BUG Control vs 4c control, I'll give you that they're pretty similar, except that BUG control has mostly been supplanted by Czech Pile.

Viable means: They top 8 tournaments with some frequency, and if you take them to a tournament you have a reasonable chance of doing well. Its a pretty commonly used term. If you are attempting to imply that running cantrips COMPLETELY eliminates consistency issues, thats simply wishful thinking. They reduce it but do not eliminate it.

If you look at the non-blue decks that tend to do well pretty frequently, they improve their consistency in two major ways. Elves, Lands, Depths, Maverick, and to some extent Death and Taxes all improve consistency through running Tutor effects. The other side of the coin is through redundancy. Decks like Moon Stompy, Eldrazi Stompy, BR reanimator and Dredge all improve consistency through running a variety of cards with similar effects, I.E. Blood Moon and Magus of the Moon or Reanimate, Exhume and Animate Dead.

The metagame data suggests that the blue shell is a solid place to start building a deck. However, in no way is it impossible to build a good non-blue deck. Furthermore, the blue shell represents a huge swath of decks, many of which employ vastly different strategies. The blue cantrip shell expands the number of viable decks immensely. If you're upset that inconsistent decks aren't great anymore, that's ok. But don't play it off as being an issue with the format. Its an issue with the decks.
    Dude, your trying to argue with way to much reasoning... This threat has become a shitshow of indivuals screaming their opinions in trump-eque way... We only talk hyperbally here, please no differentiation...

"All decks running Blue and DRS are the same" - thats the level we are talking here

Thread Information