View Poll Results: Most bannable card in Legacy? (not that they will touch it)

Voters
192. You may not vote on this poll
  • Brainstorm

16 8.33%
  • Force of Will

4 2.08%
  • Lion's Eye Diamond

35 18.23%
  • Counterbalance

34 17.71%
  • Sensei's Divining Top

103 53.65%
  • Tarmogoyf

46 23.96%
  • Phyrexian Dreadnaught

2 1.04%
  • Goblin Lackey

4 2.08%
  • Standstill

6 3.13%
  • Natural Order

8 4.17%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 406 of 1178 FirstFirst ... 306356396402403404405406407408409410416456506906 ... LastLast
Results 8,101 to 8,120 of 23542

Thread: All B/R update speculation.

Bands with Others
    Jul 2009
    NY, NY

Re: All B/R update speculation.

Quote Originally Posted by Ellomdian View Post
    absurd - it no more does so than Earthquake or Oblivion Rings.
    While those cards can technically create draws. They are way less likely to do so than WGD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavius The Great View Post
    Respect my shine bitch!

Quote Originally Posted by menace13 View Post
    While those cards can technically create draws. They are way less likely to do so than WGD.
    If he problem is that it makes draws too easy, and not just that it causes draws, then it's a power level issue. It's also not that hard to change the rules so that draws aren't quite so problematic (for example by penalising deliberate draws with game losses).

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Also WGD being a viable card in an infinite combo, the amount of play that it would see would far surpass that of earthquake/hurricane which see no play. PoP is the only card that sees play right now that creates draws that I can think of.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Judgy Curmudgeon
    Feb 2006

Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    It's also not that hard to change the rules so that draws aren't quite so problematic (for example by penalising deliberate draws with game losses).
    How is changing a fundamental aspect of the determination of a game's outcome 'easy'? It's already almost universally awful when a judge is involved in determining the outcome of a game - I can't imagine policy shifting this direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    Also WGD being a viable card in an infinite combo, the amount of play that it would see would far surpass that of earthquake/hurricane which see no play. PoP is the only card that sees play right now that creates draws that I can think of.
    I think you overrate 'viable' and 'amount of play' - while it was grossly simplified, I feel like Caleb Durward summed it up best when he said "Why would I reanimate Dragon when I could just get Griselbrand instead?"

And for the record, I am pretty sure I have seen more draws as a result of SDT in the last week than I have ever seen from WGD in formats when it was legal.
    Check out my Legacy UBTezz Primer. Chalice of the Void: Keeping Magic Fair.
    -----
    Playing since '96. Brief forced break '02-04. Former/Idle Judge since '05. Told Smmenen to play faster at Vintage Worlds.
    -----
    Most of the 'Ban brainstorm!' arguments are based on the logic that 'more different cards should get played in Legacy', as though the success or health of the format can be measured by the portion of cards that are available and see play. This is an idiotic metric.

The green Ancestral
    Mar 2010
    Seattle, WA

Quote Originally Posted by Ellomdian View Post
    I think you overrate 'viable' and 'amount of play' - while it was grossly simplified, I feel like Caleb Durward summed it up best when he said "Why would I reanimate Dragon when I could just get Griselbrand instead?"

And for the record, I am pretty sure I have seen more draws as a result of SDT in the last week than I have ever seen from WGD in formats when it was legal.
    Voice of reason here: If the dragon's sole function is to cause draws, why do any of you want it unbanned?

It's not easy being green

Jul 2010

Quote Originally Posted by ESG View Post
    Voice of reason here: If the dragon's sole function is to cause draws, why do any of you want it unbanned?
    Becuse shorter list is somehow worth taking a card off the list that either does nothing or makes the format worse?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear
    (On Innistrad)
    Yeah, an insanely powerful block which put the "derp!" factor in Legacy completely over the top.

I mean, just because a card is legal doesn't mean it's competitive or playable. Remember that people used to argue fervently that Land Tax was untouchable too, for various reasons. But the card was unbanned and none of those perceived issues about too much shuffling, etc. came into play, because simply no one played Tax. Similarly, Dragon seems much worse than any other combo deck in existence, gets hit the hardest with today's grave hate, it's harder to cause draws than in the past due to the increasing proliferation of creatures, and the lack of Bazaar means that the engine itself is 'fair' and beatable.

And to undress that argument even further, "If [c]Divine Intervention[/c]'s sole function is to cause draws, why is it legal?" A smaller banned list is intrinsically a good thing, so any unban should be the default without evidence that it's unsafe.

Note that this is basically the equivalent of a devil's advocate argument, because I've come to understand that Legacy has been forgotten by Wizards and we will not see another unban from now until that fateful day where WotC declares Legacy 'dead.'

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

Honestly, who here really would play with the Dragon these days over the many other options on the table?
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

get outta here, humanity.
    Jun 2009
    Butugychag

Honestly, who here really would play with the Dragon these days over the many other options on the table?
    Might as well ask the same question of Belcher or OmniShow, but people still play them.

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

Quote Originally Posted by iamajellydonut View Post
    Might as well ask the same question of Belcher or OmniShow, but people still play them.
    True, but you see them once in a blue moon and the decks are unstable. I do not like WGD, I understand every argument against it, but I just can not find myself agreeing that it is such a big boggy man that it would realisticly fuck the format if unbanned. Yea, you will get Ties, yea, people will be dicks and push games to ties. But hey, people already do that with Miracles, Lands and sometimes Painter so whatever. Live and let live. Of all the cards that are on that list, WGD I feel is one of the tamer ones.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Quote Originally Posted by HammerAndSickled View Post
    Note that this is basically the equivalent of a devil's advocate argument, because I've come to understand that Legacy has been forgotten by Wizards and we will not see another unban from now until that fateful day where WotC declares Legacy 'dead.'
    WotC will never declare Legacy dead. What will happen is that both Vintage and Legacy will become proxy formats at some point and WotC will not sanction those events, effectively leading to a lack of support for the format. Vintage is almost there at this point.

banned

Jul 2013
    black metal bed room

Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    If he problem is that it makes draws too easy, and not just that it causes draws, then it's a power level issue. It's also not that hard to change the rules so that draws aren't quite so problematic (for example by penalising deliberate draws with game losses).
    Sry, that's not exactly good idea. So if you're at one life against opponent at two who has a Squire in play and you draw your only card and it is Earthquake and your only permanents are three Mountains, should you be punished for casting the said EQ for 2 dmg? That's silly, isn't it?

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by AggroControl View Post
    WotC will never declare Legacy dead. What will happen is that both Vintage and Legacy will become proxy formats at some point and WotC will not sanction those events, effectively leading to a lack of support for the format. Vintage is almost there at this point.
    The Chinese are likely to take over before that happens. There's just too much money to be made to let that opportunity slip.

There were thousands of Legacy staples at Gencon. Legacy will continue moving towards being an older employed persons format, as players age and get jobs and have money they'll stay with eternal magic. They are employed and have money so there's no need to sell their collections, they have discretionary income to buy whatever pittance of eternal playable cards come out of new sets. The ongoing cost of legacy or vintage isn't shit compared to standard. So attendance might slowly dwindle, but more likely it'll age slowly -- like a fine wine.

The 65~ person vintage at Gencon had zero children. Somebodies nephew was playing a borrowed dredge deck. It was employed, middle aged (25-50) men with discretionary income ..... JUST LIKE ME.

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    The Chinese are likely to take over before that happens. There's just too much money to be made to let that opportunity slip.
    The lack of counterfeits so far is kind of amazing if you think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post
    There were thousands of Legacy staples at Gencon. Legacy will continue moving towards being an older employed persons format, as players age and get jobs and have money they'll stay with eternal magic. They are employed and have money so there's no need to sell their collections, they have discretionary income to buy whatever pittance of eternal playable cards come out of new sets. The ongoing cost of legacy or vintage isn't shit compared to standard. So attendance might slowly dwindle, but more likely it'll age slowly -- like a fine wine.

The 65~ person vintage at Gencon had zero children. Somebodies nephew was playing a borrowed dredge deck. It was employed, middle aged (25-50) men with discretionary income ..... JUST LIKE ME.
    I agree on all points. However this is a North American perspective. There are a lot of people who play Magic who don't have access to the cards and even in North America I've heard of shops running Legacy proxy tournaments for the cash they bring in. If you don't have a lot of Legacy staples for sale in your shop there is no reason not to collect $300 from 20 people willing to play in a proxy tournament.

Would you even know if your opponents were playing counterfeits?

Definitely discourages me from shelling out for any more old cards.
    Nowhere do you see: Efficient Answers to Other Cards. Force and MMS will never be banned. Deal.
    Bardo, Site Admin

itsJulian.com - Legacy Videos
    Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

Only if you think there actually was a lack of counterfeits. You probably missed it but it's been a pretty big issue earlier this year.
    The seven cardinal sins of Legacy:
    1. Discuss the unbanning of Land Tax Earthcraft.
    2. Argue that banning Force of Will would make the format healthier.
    3. Play Brainstorm without Fetchlands.
    4. Stifle Standstill.
    5. Think that Gaea's Blessing will make you Solidarity-proof.
    6. Pass priority after playing Infernal Tutor.
    7. Fail to playtest against Nourishing Lich (coZ iT wIlL gEt U!).

Site Contributor

Jun 2013
    Philadelphia, PA

Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post

+1

That's why I play these formats. I need to find people willing to play a 93/94 variant that allows cards through Mirage or something.

Whenever i print proxies with my printer at home, i always recognize that if i would invest some time, that no one at a tournament would realize that they are printed on a paper sheet...

What i want to say is that there are way more counterfeits out there than people think. Just don't try to sell them and no one will find out.
    TheRiedl on Magic Online

About Magic Online:

I can play legacy whenever I want. Cardboard has no value. Data has no value. My time and enjoyment has high value to me. More legacy = more fun. Buy in.

Quote Originally Posted by Einherjer View Post
    When Obilivion Ring is said to be an equivalent counterpiece to Red Elemental Blast in regards to Show and Tell and Jace, you know all is lost.

Thread Information